PDA

View Full Version : Pierzynski suspended

CHISOXFAN13
06-09-2007, 11:49 AM
for one game for his actions against the Yankees the other night. Per ESPN.

salty99
06-09-2007, 11:50 AM
That's nuts. I'm sure he'll appeal.

dakuda
06-09-2007, 11:51 AM
What did he do in the Yankees game to get suspended? I missed it.

I must've been typing while the other thread was appearing.....

DickAllen72
06-09-2007, 11:51 AM
What did he do in the Yankees game to get suspended? I missed it.
Nothing.

Sox
06-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Not to be stupid or anything but what exactly did he do to get suspended?:?:

salty99
06-09-2007, 11:53 AM

He swore at the umpire after striking out and threw his helmet down.

DickAllen72
06-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Nothing. But he's A.J., so slamming down your bat and saying something to an ump while walking away warrants a suspension.

Sox
06-09-2007, 11:56 AM
That's it? Un "freakin" believeable.......That's a bogus call. It should be appealed.

CHISOXFAN13
06-09-2007, 11:58 AM
He's played a bunch of games in a row so maybe he'll "serve" it today on a day when he might be off anyway.

California Sox
06-09-2007, 12:46 PM
His mistake was throwing his helmet towards the ump. I was watching with a friend and we both said "uh oh." Just a dumb play, but understandable given how the team is going and the brutal calls Rivera was getting that whole inning.

Hokiesox
06-09-2007, 12:50 PM
He's been throwing his bat all season. Everytime he pops up, watch him. He slams the bat on the ground. I'm not liking his attitude lately. I know he's frustrated, but continuing to slam bats and helmets on the ground isn't going to make him perform any better at the plate.

cbotnyse
06-09-2007, 12:52 PM
doesnt this happen in every game on any given day in MLB? :?:

Sox
06-09-2007, 12:59 PM
doesnt this happen in every game on any given day in MLB? :?:

My sentiments exactly.

BainesHOF
06-09-2007, 01:00 PM
It's obvious by this and Lou Piniella's suspension that Major League Baseball is cracking down harder on such behavior in much the same way that the NFL and NBA are doing.

balke
06-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Didn't Sheffield just do the same thing and got 3 games?

oeo
06-09-2007, 01:12 PM
Didn't Sheffield just do the same thing and got 3 games?

Unless you're talking about something different, this was not the same at all. Sheffield looked like he was going to kill the umpire and had to be restrained by four different guys. AJ simply threw his helmet and slammed his bat down, obviously said something, and went to the dugout.

itsnotrequired
06-09-2007, 01:12 PM
His mistake was throwing his helmet towards the ump.

Yup. It almost hit him.

bahn1225
06-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Earlier this week Daily Herald columnist Barry Rozner wrote:

"there has been a noticeable change in umpire temperament over the last few years. Many-not all of course-have returned to their pre-1999 "resignation" personalities and now consider themselves unapproachable and flawless again."

:?: This quote was the first thing I thought of when A.J. got tossed.:?:

my5thbench
06-09-2007, 01:31 PM
just for acting like he cares about winning.....a little bad temper is warranted a times....go go AJ you're still a winner

Foulke You
06-09-2007, 02:44 PM
He should serve it today and get it over with. Ozzie was probably due to start Toby for a game anyway.

DumpJerry
06-09-2007, 03:09 PM
The whole team should be suspended for a game or two.

Maybe they were already.:rolleyes:

TDog
06-09-2007, 03:17 PM
He's played a bunch of games in a row so maybe he'll "serve" it today on a day when he might be off anyway.

It isn't exactly like supspending a starting pitcher for a a couple of games between starts, though. Pierznyski won't be available to pinch-hit, and Mackowiak would be called on to catch in the event of an emergency to Hall, such as injury or ejection.

It isn't like bullpen coach Art Kusnyer could come in and finish the game.

IlliniSox4Life
06-09-2007, 04:07 PM
It isn't exactly like supspending a starting pitcher for a a couple of games between starts, though. Pierznyski won't be available to pinch-hit, and Mackowiak would be called on to catch in the event of an emergency to Hall, such as injury or ejection.

It isn't like bullpen coach Art Kusnyer could come in and finish the game.

Are you sure Mack is the emergency third catcher? I'm not saying he's not, I just didn't know.

I would love to see Mack catch an inning, or maybe Konerko. I mean, yeah he'd probably screw it up, but with the way we've been playing I'm anticipating losses anyway, might as well make them comical.

Frontman
06-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Yah, throwing things near/at umpire is a definate no-no. AJ's "Hammer of Thor" impression with the bat that close to Posada and the Umpire might of got him the heave ho as well, as it was the same vacinity to where Crede threw his bat down. Since the Delmon Young incident, MLB does want bats flying close to umps; and I certainly don't blame MLB for that.

AJ, and the rest of the Sox, need to get their emotions, and their abilities, in order instead of that type of stuff. I'm waiting for the Paulie "Elvis kneel" to start showing up soon if they don't come out of it.

WhiteSoxJunkie
06-09-2007, 08:43 PM
I would love to see Mack catch an inning, or maybe Konerko. I mean, yeah he'd probably screw it up, but with the way we've been playing I'm anticipating losses anyway, might as well make them comical.

Wasn't Konerko drafted as a catcher?

UserNameBlank
06-09-2007, 08:45 PM
The whole team should be suspended for a game or two.

Maybe they were already.:rolleyes:
lol

Sox
06-09-2007, 09:03 PM
CHICAGO (AP) - Chicago White Sox (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/team/71590) catcher A.J. Pierzynski (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/85217) was suspended for one game Saturday by Major League Baseball for his conduct during a game against the New York Yankees (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/team/71596) earlier this week.

After striking out in the eighth inning Thursday, Pierzynski pounded the plate in disgust with his bat and then said something to home plate umpire Bob Davidson, who ejected him. Pierzynski then flipped his helmet back at the plate.

Pierzynski appealed the suspension and was in the lineup Saturday against the Houston Astros (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/team/71604), but said he might sit out Sunday in the finale of the interleague series.
"I'm playing today. I have a funny feeling I probably won't play tomorrow," Pierzynski said. "I have a sneaking suspicion I might drop the appeal tomorrow and sit out tomorrow."
The White Sox (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/team/71590) are scheduled to face Houston lefty Wandy Rodriguez (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/312393) on Sunday and Pierzynski would probably have not started the game. At the time of his ejection, Pierzynski said he deserved to be kicked out by Davidson and his actions were the result of frustration from the White Sox (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/team/71590)'s poor play the past two weeks.
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6905956

TDog
06-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Are you sure Mack is the emergency third catcher? I'm not saying he's not, I just didn't know.

I have read that Mackowiak is the emergency catcher. Not being in the White Sox dugout or clubhouse, I may be unaware of factors that have changed that. Consequently, I'm not sure.

In 2005, I read that Ozuna was designated as the emergency catcher. Konerko was on the team at the time. As I understood it, there was no consideration of catching Konerko for practical reasons. First, he has hip problems that catching could aggravate. Second, the reason he stopped catching long before he came to the White Sox was that he had problems learning how to catch. In the Dodgers organization, Mike Scioscia was reportedly frustrated in his attempts to teach Konerko how to field the position.

If the White Sox need to use their emergency catcher, I believe Mackowiak would be the least humorous option available.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-09-2007, 09:47 PM
....I'm waiting for the Paulie "Elvis kneel" to start showing up soon if they don't come out of it.

The Paulie "Elvis kneel"?

:roflmao:

I've grown to hate that pouting "oh ****, I just popped up again" hang-my-head-and-drill-the-bat-into-the-dirt shtick he is famous for. The "Elvis kneel" is much rarer... a real treat for we aficionados of Paul Konerko's Wrath of God-sized hitting funks.

:wink:

Frontman
06-09-2007, 10:07 PM
The Paulie "Elvis kneel"?

:roflmao:

I've grown to hate that pouting "oh ****, I just popped up again" hang-my-head-and-drill-the-bat-into-the-dirt shtick he is famous for. The "Elvis kneel" is much rarer... a real treat for we aficionados of Paul Konerko's Wrath of God-sized hitting funks.

:wink:

I'm glad someone knew exactly what I was talking about. Although, "Elvis Kneel" isn't his worst move. The hands to the helmet, running to first even slower than normal with his head down is the worst sign of a Konerko funk.

rocky biddle
06-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Hopefully the Sox go on a nice long winning streak coinciding with AJ serving his suspension. Then the local media will make a big deal about how AJ's fiery personality led to an ejection and suspension and motivated the team.

IlliniSox4Life
06-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Wasn't Konerko drafted as a catcher?
Correct.

I have read that Mackowiak is the emergency catcher. Not being in the White Sox dugout or clubhouse, I may be unaware of factors that have changed that. Consequently, I'm not sure.

In 2005, I read that Ozuna was designated as the emergency catcher. Konerko was on the team at the time. As I understood it, there was no consideration of catching Konerko for practical reasons. First, he has hip problems that catching could aggravate. Second, the reason he stopped catching long before he came to the White Sox was that he had problems learning how to catch. In the Dodgers organization, Mike Scioscia was reportedly frustrated in his attempts to teach Konerko how to field the position.

If the White Sox need to use their emergency catcher, I believe Mackowiak would be the least humorous option available.

Oh man, I just read this from an article on the Sox website:
White Sox fans just might want to brace themselves for this following unexpected announcement, especially if they are in attendance for Sunday's series finale against Houston at U.S. Cellular Field. "And now moving to catcher, No. 5, Juan Uribe."
Yes, the White Sox starting shortstop, built more like a backstop, was mentioned as a possible emergency catcher to be used Sunday by Ozzie Guillen. The White Sox manager could need an extra backup behind the plate, with starting catcher A.J. Pierzynski figuring to serve his one-game suspension against the Astros.I think Uribe catching would be pretty hilarious. He does have a good arm so maybe he could catch some of the 15 base runners that would try to steal on him.