PDA

View Full Version : Damaso Marte 2007

Fenway
06-09-2007, 10:05 AM
I saw a little bit of the Yankees-Pirates games last night and watched Damaso Marte come into the game with the bases loaded and one out and got the last 2 outs without New York scoring.

I know he had his problems with Ozzie but seems now he has worked his problems out. But Mackowiak has done a decent job for you so I guess it is a wash.

Dan the Man
06-09-2007, 10:06 AM
We could use a decent reliever like Marte over Mackowiak about now though.

roadrunner
06-09-2007, 10:09 AM
wackowiak is as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop

rocky biddle
06-09-2007, 10:15 AM
We could use a decent reliever like Marte over Mackowiak about now though.

I've never been a Mack fan, but c'mon. Marte needed a change of scenery. He could go on to be lights out for the rest of his career and, IMO, it still would've been right to move him.

salty99
06-09-2007, 10:45 AM
I agree. The Sox needed to move him since he quit on the team at the end the 05 regular seaso.

Brian26
06-09-2007, 10:46 AM
wackowiak is as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop

Thanks for the insightful commentary.

Mackowiak is the only guy on the team right now that's hitting the ball hard everywhere, and he's hustling on defense.

DumpJerry
06-09-2007, 10:50 AM
We'll kidnap him on the way out of Pitt this week.

roadrunner
06-09-2007, 11:22 AM

Mackowiak is the only guy on the team right now that's hitting the ball hard everywhere, and he's hustling on defense.

I'll agree that he has hit a few balls hard lately. He still has only 6 XBH in 149 plate appearances. That is piss poor for a corner outfielder with average speed.

Regardless of whether he's "hustling", it seems that the runner from first scores on any double hit to him in left field. As in centerfield last year, he still seems to be getting lousy jumps on fly balls in the gap.

Was it hustle that caused him to be thrown out at the plate on a grounder to first with 2nd and 3rd and nobody out last week against toronto?

I'm sorry but I have no use for him or his .331 SLG. Send him back to the national league.

balke
06-09-2007, 11:49 AM
I saw a little bit of the Yankees-Pirates games last night and watched Damaso Marte come into the game with the bases loaded and one out and got the last 2 outs without New York scoring.

I know he had his problems with Ozzie but seems now he has worked his problems out. But Mackowiak has done a decent job for you so I guess it is a wash.

Marte was hit or miss. I thought he could pull around, but the Sox didn't want to wait. No use looking back on that move, since it really didn't matter at the time. He was the second worst reliever the Sox had.

PKalltheway
06-09-2007, 12:40 PM

Hindsight is 20/20.

oeo
06-09-2007, 12:58 PM

*cough* Iguchi *cough*

Without Mackowiak, our outfield would be utter garbage with three AAA hitters right now.

balke
06-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Another thing about Marte, he kept the ERA respectable, but LOST GAMES. He didn't just give up a run here or there, he would get destroyed late in the game. Looks like he was 1-7 last season for the Pirates.

JorgeFabregas
06-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Another thing about Marte, he kept the ERA respectable, but LOST GAMES. He didn't just give up a run here or there, he would get destroyed late in the game. Looks like he was 1-7 last season for the Pirates.
The ERA was deceiving in 2005. He was bailed out a lot. Imo, WHIP is more important than ERA for relievers, especially lefties, because they're often not starting or ending the inning. His WHIP was 1.72 in 2005--meaning he was allowing a ton of baserunners. In fact, more than 38% of the batters he faced got on base--hard to have any success that way.