PDA

View Full Version : Can you go to sleep?

soxwon
06-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Can anyone here go to sleep nightly, without knowing our score, or if we won or lost.
Some comment they wake up and check the paper in the AM.
I must know, before i sleep, even if its a late game, i have to know the final.
Who's with me on this?

Frater Perdurabo
06-08-2007, 06:53 PM
I too much know. Thank goodness for XM. As long as I have signal, my ticker shows the score. It beats having to wait for the paper in the morning, or having to boot up the computer and getting on the web.

DickAllen72
06-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Can anyone here go to sleep nightly, without knowing our score, or if we won or lost.
Some comment they wake up and check the paper in the AM.
I must know, before i sleep, even if its a late game, i have to know the final.
Who's with me on this?
Unfortunately I'm with you on this, even though I know it's stupid and ridiculous. If they keep playing like this for a while longer however, I'll probably stop giving a crap about what they do.

jdm2662
06-08-2007, 06:56 PM
I was able to go to bed without knowing the result of game 3 of the 2005 World Series. After Pods bunted into the DP and knowing Marte was coming in, I assumed loss. When my alarm went off at 6:15AM, I found out the Sox won. Opps...

So, I guess the answer is yes...

bryPt
06-08-2007, 07:04 PM
The second Ozzie pulled Contreras last night, I turned the TV off knowing we lost and fell asleep.

2 tylenol nightime do the trick.

bryPt
06-08-2007, 07:05 PM
I was able to go to bed without knowing the result of game 3 of the 2005 World Series. After Pods bunted into the DP and knowing Marte was coming in, I assumed loss. When my alarm went off at 6:15AM, I found out the Sox won. Opps...

I could not look away for one single second all 4 of those games. I didn't want to miss a second. I almost asked my wife to get a couple of them there eyelid holders from clockwork orange so I wouldn't miss a second.

Frater Perdurabo
06-08-2007, 07:06 PM
2 tylenol nightime do the trick.

Be careful with that. Soon it will take three. Then four. Then five... :o:

UserNameBlank
06-08-2007, 07:08 PM
I used to be like that. Now there's no point since I know they will lose, so I go to bed.

Law11
06-08-2007, 07:09 PM
I used to have this issue but realize now my sleep is more important.
If the game is close I'll keep the game on. If I fall asleep so be it.

LongLiveFisk
06-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Lately I've had no problem going to sleep without knowing the score. The way they've been playing I'd never be able to get to sleep, I'd be so mad.

WhiteSoxJunkie
06-08-2007, 07:31 PM
I'd like to know if they won or lost before going to sleep, but I can fall asleep while not knowing. However, first thing in the morning, I immediately turn on the TV to find out the score.

MarySwiss
06-08-2007, 08:01 PM
When they're behind, I deliberately go to bed without knowing the score. Here's my reasoning:

Since there's nothing I can do about the game, why torture myself by stewing about it all night if they lose? Hit the hay while there's still hope. If I wake up in the morning and they've lost, at least I got a good night's sleep. And if they won, better still.

Unfortunately, I cannot recall one single, solitary instance from this season where I went to bed with them behind and awoke to find they'd won. :(:

Lip Man 1
06-08-2007, 08:03 PM
I can't.

Lip

kittle42
06-08-2007, 08:29 PM
I used to be like that. Now there's no point since I know they will lose, so I go to bed.

Agreed. Maybe like 2 weeks ago, my answer is the standard "no way."

Frontman
06-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Well, actually I can; but then I want to know the score as soon as I can in the morning when getting ready for work.

Funny story. My Grandad who was the Sox fan, used to fall asleep in front of the game or would fall asleep waiting for the sports on the news. My Mom would turn the TV off, he'd wake up and ask if "we" (meaning the Sox) won. My Mom would tell him no, he'd grumble up off to bed, and more often than not, she was right back in the 60/70's.

A few weeks ago, I fell asleep in front of the game, my wife turned it off, I asked if "we" won, she said no. (The Sox lost that night.) I fell asleep with a chuckle and a smile, though.

Funny how things come full circle throughout the generations.

Brian26
06-08-2007, 09:31 PM

I'm still amazed when I hear people say they went to sleep before the end of World Series Game 3.

LongLiveFisk
06-08-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm still amazed when I hear people say they went to sleep before the end of World Series Game 3.

I didn't go to sleep--I fell asleep. I was dead tired that night.

But I was taping it, so that helped. :D:

hose
06-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Before this season I couldn't go to bed with the game on.....now I'm sawing logs while Thornton blows the hold and the rest of the pen gets ready to implode.:mad:

cbotnyse
06-08-2007, 09:56 PM
I went the entire last weekend without knowing the score. I got through it ok.

getonbckthr
06-08-2007, 11:02 PM
No problem considering they put me to sleep.

DrewSox56
06-08-2007, 11:06 PM
No problem considering they put me to sleep.

Indeed!

Dreaming of a better World... Filled with white and black uniforms hurling unhittable baseballs and yet also being able to power them out of the biggest fields...

Glory, and drama...

Hawk... being right for once...

Oh, how this team makes me want to sleep!

WhiteSoxJunkie
06-08-2007, 11:16 PM

One of the biggest regrets of my life was going to sleep before that game ended. But to be fair, I had just gotten over an illness and didn't want to be exhausted in school the next day.

eriqjaffe
06-09-2007, 12:35 AM
This year, I can go to sleep no problem, since I'm pretty much considering this season a dud anyways. Even if the Sox are winning, I assume they're going to windup losing.

I tried to go to bed during Game 3 at about 12:30 (I had to be at work at 8), but couldn't sleep - I went back downstairs about half an hour later expecting the game to be over. Fortunately, it wasn't.

southside rocks
06-09-2007, 12:39 AM

There wasn't any way I could have slept ... I pretended that I was trying to sleep, but I had the TV on and when Blum hit it, I said "WHO?!" and got up again. :tongue: The next day I was two hours late to work and so were a lot of other people from my neighborhood because the train was packed, and everybody was talking about the Sox win.

Gosh, it feels good to remember that tonight, since I spent the evening at the Cell watching the atrocious play and wondering 'who are these guys, anyway?' :mad: It was enough to make me miss Geoff Blum!!

And no, I can never go to bed until I know the outcome of the game.

peeonwrigley
06-09-2007, 12:45 AM
I need to know the score, unless the team is completely out of it (getting there now :(:) - in which case I can wait for the morning. And lately, I haven't slept very well after some of the losses because the team has been so piss poor.

slobes
06-09-2007, 01:18 AM

Ditto. This season has changed me. At least I've gotten more sleep out of it.

Brian26
06-09-2007, 10:50 AM
The next day I was two hours late to work and so were a lot of other people from my neighborhood because the train was packed, and everybody was talking about the Sox win. .....And no, I can never go to bed until I know the outcome of the game.

Regular season, I think it's ok to go to bed before the end of the game.

For the first World Series in 80 years, I think you have to watch until the end.

ws05champs
06-09-2007, 12:52 PM
I used to have to stay up to see the final score. This proved difficult especially on west coast games. Unfortunately I have developed a formula for predicting the final score which is proving to have about a 90% accuracy. It is:

# of Sox runs = X
# of opponent runs = X+3

The Critic
06-09-2007, 02:31 PM

I love baseball, but I won't put myself at a disadvantage at work for anything.
I get up for work around 3:00 AM, so I have to go to sleep at a certain time no matter what.

chisoxfanatic
06-09-2007, 04:23 PM
I always have to know the final score before going to bed. For Game 3 of the World Series, I stayed at Puffers until the game ended.

I'm so obsessed with knowing the score even if I'm not around a TV that I have been known to have to all of a sudden go out to my car to check the score on the radio or ask someone who gets scores on their cell phones to please check. I literally have these butterflies in my stomach if I don't know what's going on.

DumpJerry
06-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Go to sleep? Hell, I'm trying to wake up so this nightmare ends!

tick53
06-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Yes, I have to know. There have been times though that I have shut the game off during a West Coast trip and put the radio on in the bedroom (no satellite there) and fallen asleep before the end of the game. I'm on eastern time and have to get up early.

Brian26
06-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Yes, I have to know. There have been times though that I have shut the game off during a West Coast trip and put the radio on in the bedroom (no satellite there) and fallen asleep before the end of the game. I'm on eastern time and have to get up early.

There's something romantic in a baseball sense about that. I think a lot of fans of our generation and older started listening to baseball on their transistor radios or walkmans at night under the covers.

Railsplitter
06-10-2007, 03:11 PM
I've reached the point where I'm nodding off betwenn 10 and 11 p.m., no matter what.

chisoxfanatic
06-10-2007, 03:14 PM
There's something romantic in a baseball sense about that. I think a lot of fans of our generation and older started listening to baseball on their transistor radios or walkmans at night under the covers.
True dat. I remember hiding a small one under my pillow and listening many times while a child with a bed time. I got mine as a prize from the Christmas wrapping paper fundraiser. I would raid the battery box in the pantry about once every year for continued listening pleasure. I doubt many from this generation do this.