PDA

View Full Version : A few random notes before the season starts


beausox
03-31-2002, 11:24 PM
I love [I]Baseball Prospectus[/I, and while most of thier writers picked us to win the central, some had us doing it with a sub .500 record. This is almost an impossible task with the unbalanced schedule. As Joe Sheehan, points out we have the best offensive potential in baseball and I think our ST pitching stats are an Arizona product. Mr Sheehan believes we will fair better. The thing that scares me is that so many times, Prospective is right. Here's hoping they missed the boat on this one.

Kudos to KW for keeping the right catcher on the roster. I hope Mark Johnson sends Josh Paul a postcard from wherever the ALDS is this year after Paul stole his roster spot in 2000.

When will we trade Royce Clayton to a team that needs a SS (read: Detroit, get the clue KW).

Finally, a sure sign we are better than the Cubs, Joe Borowski is the Cubs last man in the pen.

GASHWOUND
03-31-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by beausox
I love [I]Baseball Prospectus[/I, and while most of thier writers picked us to win the central, some had us doing it with a sub .500 record. This is almost an impossible task with the unbalanced schedule.

Huh? Am I reading that wrong, some writers had us winning the central with a sub .500 record??? That doesn't make sense, and I don't see anybody making a claim like that...well, if their sane

Pete_SSAC
03-31-2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND


Huh? Am I reading that wrong, some writers had us winning the central with a sub .500 record??? That doesn't make sense, and I don't see anybody making a claim like that...well, if their sane

I think they are planning on the Royals, Tigers, Indians, and Twin's team planes crashing into the Andes, and the players eating each other.

- Pete

RKMeibalane
03-31-2002, 11:48 PM
...that's not funny.

CLR01
03-31-2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by beausox
I love [I]Baseball Prospectus[/I, and while most of thier writers picked us to win the central, some had us doing it with a sub .500 record. This is almost an impossible task with the unbalanced schedule. As Joe Sheehan, points out we have the best offensive potential in baseball and I think our ST pitching stats are an Arizona product. Mr Sheehan believes we will fair better. The thing that scares me is that so many times, Prospective is right. Here's hoping they missed the boat on this one.

Kudos to KW for keeping the right catcher on the roster. I hope Mark Johnson sends Josh Paul a postcard from wherever the ALDS is this year after Paul stole his roster spot in 2000.

When will we trade Royce Clayton to a team that needs a SS (read: Detroit, get the clue KW).

Finally, a sure sign we are better than the Cubs, Joe Borowski is the Cubs last man in the pen.


The d-backs have no trouble pitching there.

czalgosz
03-31-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by CLR01



The d-backs have no trouble pitching there.

Phoenix is a whole different ballgame than most of Arizona. Tuscon, for instance, has a much better atmosphere than Phoenix does.

Soxheads
04-01-2002, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by beausox


Kudos to KW for keeping the right catcher on the roster. I hope Mark Johnson sends Josh Paul a postcard from wherever the ALDS is this year after Paul stole his roster spot in 2000.

When will we trade Royce Clayton to a team that needs a SS (read: Detroit, get the clue KW).

I wonder what it would be like if KW read the WSI message boards...

:KW
"Good lord, this place is full of idiots."

voodoochile
04-01-2002, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Soxheads

:KW
"Good lord, this place is full of idiots."

:iron
"One more since you got here, bonehead..."

RedPinStripes
04-01-2002, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Soxheads


I wonder what it would be like if KW read the WSI message boards...

:KW
"Good lord, this place is full of idiots."


:KW
" Uncle Jerry was right. The fans are idiots!"

Soxheads
04-01-2002, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes



:KW
" Uncle Jerry was right. The fans are idiots!"

:reinsy
"This is why you need to believe everything I say!"

kermittheefrog
04-01-2002, 02:02 AM
Wow the BP really has me second guessing myself here. I really thought the Sox have what it takes to tear past the rest of the patsies in this division and win 90+ games but maybe I'm wrong? I think 85 wins could still win the division with some ease but are the White Sox weaker than I think or is the BP underrating them? Since the BP underrated the Sox in 2000 and I had them in the playoffs I'll stick to my guns.

RedPinStripes
04-01-2002, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Wow the BP really has me second guessing myself here. I really thought the Sox have what it takes to tear past the rest of the patsies in this division and win 90+ games but maybe I'm wrong? I think 85 wins could still win the division with some ease but are the White Sox weaker than I think or is the BP underrating them? Since the BP underrated the Sox in 2000 and I had them in the playoffs I'll stick to my guns.

I like the way you think.

FarWestChicago
04-01-2002, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Wow the BP really has me second guessing myself here. I really thought the Sox have what it takes to tear past the rest of the patsies in this division and win 90+ games but maybe I'm wrong? I think 85 wins could still win the division with some ease but are the White Sox weaker than I think or is the BP underrating them? Since the BP underrated the Sox in 2000 and I had them in the playoffs I'll stick to my guns. You go, Kermit! :smile:

Jerry_Manuel
04-01-2002, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
You go, Kermit! :smile:

Boo! :smile:

THE_HOOTER
04-01-2002, 09:49 AM
Jerry,

It is one thing to predict the Sox will finish second-you have a valid argument.

But why Boo someone else's enthusiasm about the team?

Sometimes with your excessive negativisim you seem like a closet Cub Fan. :?:

rmusacch
04-01-2002, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by beausox
[BFinally, a sure sign we are better than the Cubs, Joe Borowski is the Cubs last man in the pen. [/B]

Umm, I am thinking that we do not have any room to talk about our bullpen. Our bullpen is nothing special. Joe Borowski has pitched in the bigs before. Our last man is Mike Porzio, who has done nothing in the bigs. Also, who cares if we are better than the Cubs? If it the Yankees, Mariners, Indians, etc. that we should be concerned about being better than.

doublem23
04-01-2002, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by rmusacch


Umm, I am thinking that we do not have any room to talk about our bullpen. Our bullpen is nothing special. Joe Borowski has pitched in the bigs before. Our last man is Mike Porzio, who has done nothing in the bigs. Also, who cares if we are better than the Cubs? If it the Yankees, Mariners, Indians, etc. that we should be concerned about being better than.

I think you gotta live in the Chicagoland area to understand why Sox fans love beating the Scrubs.

Would I rather finish with a worse record the the Cubs, but still win the division? Hell yeah.

But beating the Cubs is always a plus.

Iwritecode
04-01-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
Jerry,

It is one thing to predict the Sox will finish second-you have a valid argument.

But why Boo someone else's enthusiasm about the team?

Sometimes with your excessive negativisim you seem like a closet Cub Fan. :?:

I think you missed the little smiley in Jerry's post. I think he was kidding. Jerry is a Sox fan, although more negative and pessimistic than some...

As I said before, he sets his goals low and therefore is never disappointed. :smile: