PDA

View Full Version : At what point would Ozzie quit?

JorgeFabregas
06-08-2007, 12:52 AM
It seems extremely unlikely that KW would fire one of the most successful managers in White Sox history (3 straight winning seasons including a World Series) just 2 years from his world series win. However, Ozzie talks about quitting all the time. If this season continues on its crash and burn course does anyone think Ozzie might quit, as he has threatened to do?

Mods, feel free to merge if this thread is redundant. Please correct the spelling in the title if not.

oeo
06-08-2007, 01:13 AM
It seems extremely unlikely that KW would fire one of the most successful managers in White Sox history (3 straight winning seasons including a World Series) just 2 years from his world series win. However, Ozzie talks about quitting all the time. If this season continues on its crash and burn course does anyone think Ozzie might quit, as he has threatened to do?

Mods, feel free to merge if this thread is redundant. Please correct the spelling in the title if not.

Ozzie said one time, that he might retire if they won a championship. Remember, it was when they were playing terrible during the collapse of 2005? All the attention surrounded Ozzie and it took the pressure off the Sox. I don't think Ozzie will quit any time soon...he loves the game and the organization as much as anyone here.

JorgeFabregas
06-08-2007, 01:18 AM
Eh, I was probably misinterpreting his recent remarks that he may "deserve to be fired" as threatening to quit.

roadrunner
06-08-2007, 01:21 AM
he'll quit when the endorsements dry up

QCIASOXFAN
06-08-2007, 03:03 AM
I wouldn't be floored if he walked at the end of the season if this keeps up.

HotelWhiteSox
06-08-2007, 03:18 AM
He'll probably say something controversial to try and get himself fired when he's had enough

IlliniSox4Life
06-08-2007, 03:19 AM
I don't think Ozzie would quit. I think he likes the attention, and I think he's got a little bit of honor and isn't the kind of guy to break a contract.

Not only all that, but he really has a sweet job. He works with his kids so he's around his family all the time, and he gets paid millions to coach baseball for a team he likes that has fans that love him. His kids' employment also seems like it would be based largely on his employment, and I don't think they would have as many options if he were to quit/retire.

UserNameBlank
06-08-2007, 05:43 AM
This team is headed for a youth movement and managing young talent is one of Ozzie's biggest criticisms. We'll see what happens over the next year or two, but I don't see Ozzie walking away unless he is asked to resign.

Edit: can you just imagine the **** storm in the papers with a verbal war between a recently fired Ozzie Guillen and Kenny over such issues as competitive teams, grinders, and player development? Wow, that would be epic.

southside rocks
06-08-2007, 06:24 AM
I think Ozzie will quit right after the players who have multi-million dollar contracts and are underperforming so horribly will quit.

That is, after JD and PK and Thome -- and most of the bullpen -- quit and say that they really shouldn't accept their salaries for the kind of pathetic performances they're giving this year, then Ozzie will quit too.

So, any day now.

oldcomiskey
06-08-2007, 07:25 AM
This team is headed for a youth movement and managing young talent is one of Ozzie's biggest criticisms. We'll see what happens over the next year or two, but I don't see Ozzie walking away unless he is asked to resign.

Edit: can you just imagine the **** storm in the papers with a verbal war between a recently fired Ozzie Guillen and Kenny over such issues as competitive teams, grinders, and player development? Wow, that would be epic.

undertaker rep

Huisj
06-08-2007, 09:18 AM
I think a thing that worries me about the near future of the Sox and Guillen is his ability to manage the type of roster the sox might have. If the current team continues to play flat and is broken up, can Guillen be the guy to manage them through some rebuilding? Pretty much all signs point to Guillen liking older veterans over young players. Which of the young players whom the Sox have brought up in the last few years have played well and gotten Guillen's vote of confidence? I guess Jenks and Danks, but for position players, I can't think of any.

I'm worried that if the roster became a mix of young up-and-comers and a few old utility guys, the old utility guys would all get 500 at bats while the young players would struggle for a few weeks and get benched.

southside rocks
06-08-2007, 09:24 AM
I think a thing that worries me about the near future of the Sox and Guillen is his ability to manage the type of roster the sox might have. If the current team continues to play flat and is broken up, can Guillen be the guy to manage them through some rebuilding? Pretty much all signs point to Guillen liking older veterans over young players. Which of the young players whom the Sox have brought up in the last few years have played well and gotten Guillen's vote of confidence? I guess Jenks and Danks, but for position players, I can't think of any.

I'm worried that if the roster became a mix of young up-and-comers and a few old utility guys, the old utility guys would all get 500 at bats while the young players would struggle for a few weeks and get benched.

I'm trying to think of young players who have come up from the farm system in the last few years who have been WORTH a vote of confidence, from anyone.

Ozzie has publicly stated his confidence in Jerry Owens and in Josh Fields, and has declared his appreciation for Sweeney, who he says needs more regular at-bats and therefore is not major-league ready (and I think we would all agree with that).

It's really unfair to assume that Ozzie doesn't like youngsters just because he and Brian Anderson didn't have a love affair for the ages, IMO. Ozzie is certainly no Dusty Baker, refusing to play the kids.

How would Ozzie do with a rebuilding team? I don't know, but I expect we're going to find out, and sooner than we'd like, probably. :?:

INSox56
06-08-2007, 11:15 AM
When he has a good portion of the team as young players or rookies. I think his head explode if he had to deal with helping younger guys succeed and put up with them struggling. :rolleyes:

UserNameBlank
06-08-2007, 11:49 AM
undertaker rep
The Undertaker will never rest in peace. He lives on the Darkside (I think that's somewhere on the beach in Florida) and draws his superhuman powers from the Creatures of the Night who live in his urn. So as long as there are Creatures of the Night and urns, The Undertaker will rule forever.

IndianWhiteSox
06-08-2007, 11:54 AM
The Undertaker will never rest in peace. He lives on the Darkside (I think that's somewhere on the beach in Florida) and draws his superhuman powers from the Creatures of the Night who live in his urn. So as long as there are Creatures of the Night and urns, The Undertaker will rule forever.

:?:

I thought he meant undertaker represent?

UserNameBlank
06-08-2007, 11:59 AM
:?:

I thought he meant undertaker represent?
Oh, maybe he did. I assumed he meant rip not rep.

In that case, go Undertaker.

Scottiehaswheels
06-08-2007, 12:01 PM
When he has a good portion of the team as young players or rookies. I think his head explode if he had to deal with helping younger guys succeed and put up with them struggling. :rolleyes:what about the Marlins? You forget he coached there for a couple years before coming here? Lots of younger players on that team in '02 and '03.... Granted he wasn't in the same capacity as here but I don't think its a problem.... He just needs guys that play the style of ball he wants to play...

Lip Man 1
06-08-2007, 12:03 PM
Ozzie is a very proud man. I can't see him 'quitting' under these circumstances.

He feels a real obligation and friendship with JR and would not leave him in the lurch like this.

I couldn't even contemplate him quitting unless the team were to stink for two or three years in a row.

I believe him when he says he's going to be here for ten years.

Lip

INSox56
06-08-2007, 12:25 PM
what about the Marlins? You forget he coached there for a couple years before coming here? Lots of younger players on that team in '02 and '03.... Granted he wasn't in the same capacity as here but I don't think its a problem.... He just needs guys that play the style of ball he wants to play...I agree to a certain extent...but coaching with the Marlins is a bit of a stretch I think. Make that same statement with Razor Shines (AAA managing nonwithstanding) and it doesn't really hold much water in his defense for another MLB coaching job.

ondafarm
06-08-2007, 03:39 PM
To answer the original question, I don't think Ozzie gives up on the team pretty much ever. Exasperated? Yes. Heck, he's exasperated now. Whatever Ozzie's failures are, being a quitter isn't one of them.

ArkanSox
06-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Ozzie will quit...

when he becomes El Presidento of Venezuela?

when the Wind sock ceases to be an idiot?

when the Cubs again win the World Series?

He may very get fired, but I don't foresee him quitting.

tick53
06-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Ozzie loves the Sox and loves the game of baseball. I doubt that he goes anywhere. I'd be very surprised if he did anyway. It isn't Ozzie running the bases, swinging the bat or fielding the ball. It's the players who are not doing their jobs.

Bottom line, this year sucks, I'm bummed!:(: