PDA

View Full Version : Question about the 7th Inning Stretch

IlliniSox4Life
06-07-2007, 06:15 PM
I was just out on the west coast and went to Petco, Dodgers Stadium, and Angels Stadium.

Every single one of them played "Take me out to the ball game" twice, back to back, during the 7th inning stretch.

Am I insane or don't we only play it once here? I've also been to Fenway and Yankee Stadium and I don't remember them playing it twice. Is this some west coast thing like the wave? Somebody help, it's really bugging me.

DumpJerry
06-07-2007, 06:17 PM
You're insane. We play it three times.......

DSpivack
06-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Here in Atlanta following "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" is John Denver's "Thank God I'm A Country Boy." Somewhat makes sense, as Georgia has those country identity, and the Braves especially with so much Georgia-grown talent.

However, that song is also a tradition at Baltimore Orioles games. :?:

lumpyspun
06-07-2007, 06:49 PM
I was just out on the west coast and went to Petco, Dodgers Stadium, and Angels Stadium.

Every single one of them played "Take me out to the ball game" twice, back to back, during the 7th inning stretch.

Am I insane or don't we only play it once here? I've also been to Fenway and Yankee Stadium and I don't remember them playing it twice. Is this some west coast thing like the wave? Somebody help, it's really bugging me.

They only play it once at Safeco (on the west coast).

DSpivack
06-07-2007, 06:52 PM

Crazy Southern Californians.

PKalltheway
06-07-2007, 09:11 PM
I remember back when the Reds were still in Cinergy, they would play it twice. It kinda faded away when the new park opened though. Not too sure why.

goofymsfan
06-07-2007, 09:11 PM

Followed by Louie Louie by the Kingsmen. Although they do play take me out to the ball game prior to the gates opening followed by Centerfield.

06-07-2007, 09:31 PM

I knew I wasn't crazy!

SOXPHILE
06-08-2007, 02:15 PM
Don't the Yankees play "Cotton Eye Joe" right after "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" ? If so....why ?

GoSox2K3
06-08-2007, 03:17 PM
...and the Red Sox play "Sweet Caroline".

Of course, as everyone knows, the tradition of signing the 7th inning stretch was started by the Cubs and announcer Harry Caray way back when he started doing Cubs games in the 1940s. Only in recent years was this tradition copied by other teams.

TDog
06-11-2007, 01:21 AM
During the 1984 World Series, I was surprised with how fast the Padres played Take Me Out to the Ballgame (a song written in 1908, if you're looking for a curse). They played it twice because they played it so fast. The fans didn't really sing along.

In Milwaukee, the song is just a prelude to Roll Out the Barrell, which everyone sings.

Stadiums technically don't even play Take Me Out to the Ballgame once. They only play the chorus.

Nellie_Fox
06-11-2007, 01:59 AM
They only play it once at Safeco (on the west coast).Crazy Southern Californians.Did the big earthquake hit and move Seattle to southern California?

DSpivack
06-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Did the big earthquake hit and move Seattle to southern California?

Haha, IlliniSox said that at Petco, Dodgers and Angels Stadium they play it twice, while lumpyspun said that at SafeCo they only play it once. Hence, crazy Southern Californians.

ma-gaga
06-11-2007, 03:37 PM
From 9/11/01 to the beginning of 2006, at Metrodome they used to follow "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" with "Proud to be an American". It was fine at first, but it lost it's meaning, and actually it felt like a burden. I think the Yankees have the same thing happening on with their lockdown during their "God Bless America" 7th inning.

The Twins have finally discontinued their P.T.B.A.A. song (except on "special" (read, patriotic) occasions). I remember actually getting an email poll question from the Twins asking if the team, by not playing that song, seemed less patriotic. :?:

They discontinued playing that song shortly after that poll went out. I know they play something else following "Take Me Out...", but I don't remember what it is.

I'll let you all know after Thursday nights game. :cool:

ma-gaga
06-15-2007, 10:02 AM
They discontinued playing that song shortly after that poll went out. I know they play something else following "Take Me Out...", but I don't remember what it is.

I'll let you all know after Thursday nights game. :cool:

The Metrodome played "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" followed by "In the Mood", which is that light jazz song that everyone's heard a thousand times...

Seems like a good choice, "In The Mood" goes on forever, and they can stop it whenever the teams/umps were ready to resume the game.

:cool:

PatK
06-15-2007, 12:21 PM
When I was at Houston a couple of years ago, when they played "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" during the stretch, people weren't interested the least.

Then they played "Deep in the Heart of Texas" and the place went absolutley beserk.