PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie Says MLB Steroid Probe Focuses Too Much On Latino Players

spiffie
06-07-2007, 11:52 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2895924

Basically Ozzie complaining that he was questioned extensively this offseason about whether or not people are bringing steroids with them from Venezuela and other Latin American countries. Also says he doesn't care if others do steroids, since his only concern is him and his kids.

Juice16
06-07-2007, 12:16 PM

Basically Ozzie complaining that he was questioned extensively this offseason about whether or not people are bringing steroids with them from Venezuela and other Latin American countries. Also says he doesn't care if others do steroids, since his only concern is him and his kids.

I wonder if Ozzie has heard of BALCO and the focus on Barry Bonds, Jason Giambi, and Gary Sheffield.

oeo
06-07-2007, 12:20 PM
I wonder if Ozzie has heard of BALCO and the focus on Barry Bonds, Jason Giambi, and Gary Sheffield.

Did you even read the article? His problem was someone asking him if they think Latin players bring steroids over.

They were like, 'You never see any of the players bring this thing to the States?' I said, 'Wait a second, BALCO is not [in] Venezuela, is not [in]Puerto Rico, is not Dominican, is not [in] Mexico. BALCO is in California. Then why do you keep blaming players from Latin America for the problem that we have in the States?'

soxfan13
06-07-2007, 12:34 PM
Did you even read the article? His problem was someone asking him if they think Latin players bring steroids over.

Yes but has he heard of the focus on Bonds and Giambi and what not:tongue:

Lip Man 1
06-07-2007, 12:46 PM
I think this is a better story on it:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/couch/417941,CST-SPT-greg07.article

Lip

ondafarm
06-07-2007, 01:03 PM
I disagree with the Sun-Times. While the baseball investigation has been a sham, as a lot of things done under Selig's rule have been, I don't think Ozzie Guillen shooting his mouth off about this is a help to anyone.

oeo
06-07-2007, 01:06 PM
I disagree with the Sun-Times. While the baseball investigation has been a sham, as a lot of things done under Selig's rule have been, I don't think Ozzie Guillen shooting his mouth off about this is a help to anyone.

Do you dislike that Ozzie brushes his teeth, too?

Juice16
06-07-2007, 01:08 PM

Yes I read the article, I should not have mentioned BALCO, but the players that are focused on made my point. He said in the article that they focus too much on Latin players while the three I mentioned are not Latin.

oeo
06-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Yes I read the article, I should not have mentioned BALCO, but the players that are focused on made my point. He said in the article that they focus too much on Latin players while the three I mentioned are not Latin.

He said he thinks they put the Latin players under a dark cloud and then went goes on to explain why...he was asked the question mentioned above, and had the right to defend Latin players. They're asking him if Latin players are the one's bringing steroids over...when BALCO is right here in the US.

Frontman
06-07-2007, 01:28 PM
I for once agree with Ozzie's comments. Usually he starts off and then stumbles into trouble; but this time, Ozzie is saying "Look, you have a place here (Balco) that's providing steroids. You're looking to find steroids coming out of Latin America with these questions."

nlentz88
06-07-2007, 01:38 PM

Yes, but according to the Sun Times article half of the substance related suspensions in 2005 were given to Latinos, while only about 20% of MLB rosters are composed of Latinos. Hmmm.... Makes ya think.

HotelWhiteSox
06-07-2007, 01:38 PM
He said he thinks they put the Latin players under a dark cloud and then went goes on to explain why...he was asked the question mentioned above, and had the right to defend Latin players. They're asking him if Latin players are the one's bringing steroids over...when BALCO is right here in the US.

I doubt Balco is the only source

And isn't it very easy to get this stuff out in the open in Latin countries? I remember reading that

peelwonder
06-07-2007, 02:40 PM
As a Sox fan Ozzie's antics on other issues gets old...

Worry about your ****ing ****ty ass baseball team Ozzie!

oeo
06-07-2007, 04:01 PM

1. There was nothing wrong with what he said.
2. He is worried about his team...it's his fault that we have the worst offense and bullpen in all of baseball?

This is another example of how everything Ozzie says is under a microscope. Any other manager in baseball could say the same thing, and people wouldn't think much of it. Much like everything AJ does gets analyzed like he's a criminal.

ondafarm
06-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Do you dislike that Ozzie brushes his teeth, too?

Man, that's funny, not.

oeo
06-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Man, that's funny, not.

I was being serious. Everything Ozzie does is wrong in your eyes. You would help your "Fire Ozzie" campaign if you were a little more objective.

ondafarm
06-07-2007, 04:15 PM
I was being serious. Everything Ozzie does is wrong in your eyes. You would help your "Fire Ozzie" campaign if you were a little more objective.

Now, I question your reading comprehension.

I have always said that Ozzie was the right manager for the 2005 team.

My position is that he is not the correct manager for the 2007 team.

If you don't understand that, you should really return and read the posts in both of my threads on the topic.

southside rocks
06-07-2007, 04:16 PM
1. There was nothing wrong with what he said.
2. He is worried about his team...it's his fault that we have the worst offense and bullpen in all of baseball?

This is another example of how everything Ozzie says is under a microscope. Any other manager in baseball could say the same thing, and people wouldn't think much of it. Much like everything AJ does gets analyzed like he's a criminal.

I agree.

Ozzie brings out some very ... strong emotions in people, and for things that really are not a big deal. I know some people who are entirely rational about things until Ozzie's name comes up, and then they start ranting and raving and generally sounding like a Windsock. Amazing.

oeo
06-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Now, I question your reading comprehension.

I have always said that Ozzie was the right manager for the 2005 team.

My position is that he is not the correct manager for the 2007 team.

If you don't understand that, you should really return and read the posts in both of my threads on the topic.

It's the same team. The only major difference is, we have the worst offense and bullpen in all of baseball. I'm amazed that we are 3 games under .500 and not the worst team in baseball. Name a manager that would have this team in first place right now, or even 5 games over .500.

If the Sox were hitting, had any type of bullpen, and still stood at 3 games under, you would have a case. Since neither is true, this team is terrible right now. You're trying to find a scapegoat and a bad one at that. It's like the Royals, Devil Rays, and Cubs do every few years...they fire their manager because their team sucks and they need a scapegoat; this is the same situation we're in right now. And you have to agree with this, otherwise you would not have liked Ozzie as our 2005 manager.

SBSoxFan
06-07-2007, 04:23 PM
I agree.

Ozzie brings out some very ... strong emotions in people, and for things that really are not a big deal. I know some people who are entirely rational about things until Ozzie's name comes up, and then they start ranting and raving and generally sounding like a Windsock. Amazing.

Unfortunately, it's not really. A minority manager won the world series in only his second year. Lot's of people have lot's of reasons (all bad) to tear someone like that down.

FarWestChicago
06-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Now, I question your reading comprehension.And the rest of us question your sanity. You are too much like shoota to not make people wonder.

Daver
06-07-2007, 08:51 PM

I agree with Ozzie. Latin players are being profiled.

Jerome
06-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Ozzie guillen is kind of a clown. He says dumb things. Nothing really new here. I think he's a good baseball guy and a pretty good manager but he says dumb things sometimes.

oeo
06-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Ozzie guillen is kind of a clown. He says dumb things. Nothing really new here. I think he's a good baseball guy and a pretty good manager but he says dumb things sometimes.

What was dumb about what he said?

Two people do not like what he said in this thread, but give no reason other than he shoots his mouth off sometimes. He says some dumb things, but this was a case where he did not.

MetroPD
06-07-2007, 09:55 PM

+1. Ozzie was a breath of fresh air when he first started, now his ramblings are a tired old song, especially when his team is doing so poorly.

ondafarm
06-07-2007, 10:14 PM
It's the same team. The only major difference is, we have the worst offense and bullpen in all of baseball. I'm amazed that we are 3 games under .500 and not the worst team in baseball. Name a manager that would have this team in first place right now, or even 5 games over .500.

If the Sox were hitting, had any type of bullpen, and still stood at 3 games under, you would have a case. Since neither is true, this team is terrible right now. You're trying to find a scapegoat and a bad one at that. It's like the Royals, Devil Rays, and Cubs do every few years...they fire their manager because their team sucks and they need a scapegoat; this is the same situation we're in right now. And you have to agree with this, otherwise you would not have liked Ozzie as our 2005 manager.

Another person telling me what I believe. Just great. Now I recall why I have you on my ignore list.

No, KC or the Flubs situation is not the same situation we are in right now.

You seem to believe that Ozzie is just in a stretch of bad luck with the bad bullpen and bad hitting and all the injuries.

All along I have been saying that Ozzie is the cause of the bad bullpen, the bad hitting and some of the injuries.

That's not scapegoating. Getting rid of the cause of the problem is step one of solving the problem.

The 2007 team is not the same team as the 2005 team.

The 2005 team had a veteran bullpen, the 2007 bullpen is almost entirely rookies or short service guys. Politte, Hermanson, Takatsu and Vizcaino were all veteran relief guys, who really provided stability for the short-time guys to gell around. The 2007 team has Jenks with just less than 3 years and had MacDougal, but no other veteran.

The 2005 team had no significant rookies (Iguchi was a veteran from a different country.) A couple of rookies got a little time, but none contributed much.

The 2007 team has had to depend on several rookies to contribute. And Ozzie has not found one this year that he's given confidence to.

PaulDrake
06-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Yes, but according to the Sun Times article half of the substance related suspensions in 2005 were given to Latinos, while only about 20% of MLB rosters are composed of Latinos. Hmmm.... Makes ya think. I think if you go over the rosters you'll find the number is considerably higher than 20%.

oeo
06-07-2007, 10:24 PM
Another person telling me what I believe. Just great. Now I recall why I have you on my ignore list.

You keep telling me this. Am I on your ignore list or not because you keep responding to my posts.

No, KC or the Flubs situation is not the same situation we are in right now.

You seem to believe that Ozzie is just in a stretch of bad luck with the bad bullpen and bad hitting and all the injuries.

All along I have been saying that Ozzie is the cause of the bad bullpen, the bad hitting and some of the injuries. :roflmao:

You want to explain this to me? How is Ozzie the cause of the bullpen being unable to throw strikes, the offense being unable to hit, and injuries?! This is just foolish; you're becoming a WSI legend, ondafarm.

That's not scapegoating. Getting rid of the cause of the problem is step one of solving the problem.You're right, when you blame everything from pitching to injuries on the manager, that's not scapegoating...that's making excuses for the team to prove your (awful) point.

The 2007 team is not the same team as the 2005 team.

The 2005 team had a veteran bullpen, the 2007 bullpen is almost entirely rookies or short service guys. Politte, Hermanson, Takatsu and Vizcaino were all veteran relief guys, who really provided stability for the short-time guys to gell around. The 2007 team has Jenks with just less than 3 years and had MacDougal, but no other veteran.

Thornton is a veteran. Now we have Bukvich and Prinz, does that make you happy? Two mediocre to bad relief guys (like those named above)...hopefully we can catch lightning in a bottle again.

The 2005 team had no significant rookies (Iguchi was a veteran from a different country.) A couple of rookies got a little time, but none contributed much.

The 2007 team has had to depend on several rookies to contribute. And Ozzie has not found one this year that he's given confidence to. The 2005 team also did not have injury problems. Why are Fields and Owens with the big league club? Because of injuries...oh wait, I forgot, that's Ozzie's fault; now I get it. FIRE OZZIE!

ondafarm
06-07-2007, 11:28 PM
You want to explain this to me? How is Ozzie the cause of the bullpen being unable to throw strikes, the offense being unable to hit, and injuries?! This is just foolish; you're becoming a WSI legend, ondafarm.

For trying to explain things for the umpteenth time to people who just can't read? That is legendary. Who's calling whom foolish?

Tragg
06-07-2007, 11:28 PM
The 2005 team also did not have injury problems.

?????
Frank Thomas
El D, Dustin Hermanson, Scott Podsednik.
In sum, our DH, our 5th starter, our closer and our lead-off hitter all suffered signficant time out of the lineup.
The difference is that we had a better bench. Everett was a legitimate hitter (not great, but legitimate); McCarthy was our 6th starter. And we found Jenks - that was nice. But we had injuries.

Now, this has little to do with profiling latinos for steroids. Just taking issue with this specific point re Sox injuries in 2005.

oeo
06-07-2007, 11:35 PM
?????
Frank Thomas
El D, Dustin Hermanson, Scott Podsednik.
In sum, our DH, our 5th starter, our closer and our lead-off hitter all suffered signficant time out of the lineup.
The difference is that we had a better bench. Everett was a legitimate hitter (not great, but legitimate); McCarthy was our 6th starter. And we found Jenks - that was nice. But we had injuries.

Now, this has little to do with profiling latinos for steroids. Just taking issue with this specific point re Sox injuries in 2005.

We've had bigger problems with injuries so far this year than we did all of 2005. Yes we lost our DH for basically the season (our only major injury), but this year has been different. We lost our DH for 18 games (somewhere around there), three leadoff hitters (2/3 of our outfield), and our third baseman...all in the first three months and all at the same time.

Willie Harris, Timo Perez...those guys are not better than anyone we have on the bench now. Our bench wasn't better, we just didn't have the same problems.

southside rocks
06-08-2007, 07:32 AM
We've had bigger problems with injuries so far this year than we did all of 2005. Yes we lost our DH for basically the season (our only major injury), but this year has been different. We lost our DH for 18 games (somewhere around there), three leadoff hitters (2/3 of our outfield), and our third baseman...all in the first three months and all at the same time.

Willie Harris, Timo Perez...those guys are not better than anyone we have on the bench now. Our bench wasn't better, we just didn't have the same problems.

The bench this year has also been hit very hard by injuries. The loss of Pablo Ozuna, a key bench player, is huge. Alex Cintron is still having pain when he throws, from off-season surgery, but he can't sit out to rest it because of injuries to other players. Iguchi suffered a fairly severe thumb sprain on April 18 that played havoc with his swing for the next 6 weeks, but he couldn't sit that out either, because the bench is stretched so thin already.

No Pods, no Erstad, no Crede (and that looks like it will be for more than 15 days), Toby Hall is still a question-mark, Thome has been on the DL already, no Ozuna, and no bullpen to speak of; combine that with the fact that JD and PK are two years older than they were in the championship season, and they weren't young then ... This team is slow, limping and hobbling, and patched with rookies who probably weren't ready just yet.

And not winning, for whatever reasons. Very hard to watch.

oeo
06-08-2007, 02:09 PM
For trying to explain things for the umpteenth time to people who just can't read? That is legendary. Who's calling whom foolish?

I've never seen you "explain" these things. How exactly has Ozzie been the cause of the bullpen, hitting, and injuries. Did he sprain Erstad's ankle? Maybe he broke Pablo's leg? That must have been him that screwed up Crede's back a few years ago? Was he the one that hurt Pods, too? How about Thome?

You're making no sense. And the more injuries that continue to happen, the longer the offense struggles, and the more the bullpen implodes...you're not going to have a case at all against Ozzie.

FarWestChicago
06-08-2007, 10:38 PM
Ozzie guillen is kind of a clown. He says dumb things. Nothing really new here. I think he's a good baseball guy and a pretty good manager but he says dumb things sometimes.And you say lots of dumb things. What's the big deal? Why is your being stupid less important?

FarWestChicago
06-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Now I recall why I have you on my ignore list.Farm, I've had it with your completely, totally trollish ass. When you regain some semblance of sanity. When you become something other than a Timberwolf level, total troll, let us know. We'll consider letting you back in. As it is, you need help, serious help. What the **** happened to you? Seriously, what went wrong in your brain? Have you always been a nutcase? :dunno:

Scottiehaswheels
06-08-2007, 11:27 PM
Farm, I've had it with your completely, totally trollish ass. When you regain some semblance of sanity. When you become something other than a Timberwolf level, total troll, let us know. We'll consider letting you back in. As it is, you need help, serious help. What the **** happened to you? Seriously, what went wrong in your brain? Have you always been a nutcase? :dunno:Like I said in a previous post.. I think he's the only person in history that moved to the Midwest from California and actually became much dumber....

FarWestChicago
06-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Like I said in a previous post.. I think he's the only person in history that moved to the Midwest from California and actually became much dumber....We've seen it before with shoota and chisoxbobbette. You can actually watch a person completely melt down and lose their sanity on the Internet. And, despite the obvious humorous opportunities, I'm not sure that is a good thing. And Farm is obviously coming unglued. While amusing, it's a bit of a concern.