PDA

View Full Version : *official* Mlb Draft Thread

SoxxoS
06-07-2007, 11:18 AM
So, what is your guys' thoughts?

ESPN has us taking Nick Noonan, SS, Parker HS in San Diego

First off, knowing nothing about him baseball wise - I hope we get him b/c the Noonan/Caddyshack relationship is almost too good to pass up.

Here is what Keith Law says about him -

The White Sox are looking to emphasize up-the-middle players and arms. Alderson is a top choice, but he doesn't seem likely to get here.

Alderson meaning Tim Alderson :

Texas would love to get Beavan here, and they might go with another high school arm instead, such as Alderson. I've heard Chris Withrow linked to them, but that's probably for the sandwich round.

Who is projected to go 17th to the Braves.

My theory is go with college pitchers - enough of this HS stuff. Take the HS arms later on maybe - but in the early rounds if you are going pitching - Go the college/JC route. Why? At least they have proven (hopefully) that they a) Have suceeded at a higher level b) Stayed healthy after pitching in high school

There are just too many Kris Honel's out there - Try to find the Tim Lincecum from University of Washington or the Buehrle from JC -

Just my two cents.

wulfy
06-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Phil Rogers says for the Palehose:

RHP Casey Weathers, Vanderbilt: Sox can't pass on fastball-slider combo that could play in big-league bullpen pronto.

sox1970
06-07-2007, 12:26 PM
MLB Draft Fever---Catch It!

champagne030
06-07-2007, 01:08 PM
So, what is your guys' thoughts?

ESPN has us taking Nick Noonan, SS, Parker HS in San Diego

First off, knowing nothing about him baseball wise - I hope we get him b/c the Noonan/Caddyshack relationship is almost too good to pass up.

Here is what Keith Law says about him -

Alderson meaning Tim Alderson :

Who is projected to go 17th to the Braves.

My theory is go with college pitchers - enough of this HS stuff. Take the HS arms later on maybe - but in the early rounds if you are going pitching - Go the college/JC route. Why? At least they have proven (hopefully) that they a) Have suceeded at a higher level b) Stayed healthy after pitching in high school

There are just too many Kris Honel's out there - Try to find the Tim Lincecum from University of Washington or the Buehrle from JC -

Just my two cents.

An "official" thread was started earlier.

Merger??

Fungo
06-07-2007, 01:22 PM
I actually hope they take the HS kid Michael Main, I think he's gonna be real good. Then at pick 89, I like a college pitcher out of Stetson University named Corey Kluber. As long as we don't draft LaPorta out of Florida, I should be able to keep it together. One of my favorite days of the year.

sox1970
06-07-2007, 01:45 PM
I actually like the draft, but I could do without the projections since there's no way they'll turn out like anyone has them. Plus I think 99.999% of fans really have no idea who any of these guys are, so watching the draft will be like watching paint dry to the masses. I guess that's why it's airing on a Thursday afternoon. As long as Berman and Kiper stay away, maybe I'll watch a little and see how it goes.

Fungo
06-07-2007, 02:06 PM
With ESPN involved, this is looking to be even longer than normal.

SoxSpeed22
06-07-2007, 02:07 PM
With ESPN involved, this is looking to be even longer than normal.Same screen format as the NFL and NBA, can't go wrong with it.

Scottiehaswheels
06-07-2007, 02:31 PM
Just curious because you don't hear about it often... But how often do you hear of draft picks included in trades in MLB? Not nearly as often as in other sports... Would it be more prevelant or less if it was held nearer the trading deadline?

06-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Just curious because you don't hear about it often... But how often do you hear of draft picks included in trades in MLB? Not nearly as often as in other sports... Would it be more prevelant or less if it was held nearer the trading deadline?

Can't trade any draft picks.

sox1970
06-07-2007, 02:33 PM
You also cannot trade any of these guys getting drafted today until the draft is completed in 2008.

This draft would be more interesting to watch 10 years from now. Seriously.

Scottiehaswheels
06-07-2007, 02:34 PM
Can't trade any draft picks.Why? I would think that might be another thing that might generate interest in the draft wouldn't you agree?

champagne030
06-07-2007, 02:34 PM
Same screen format as the NFL and NBA, can't go wrong with it.

Gammons and Phillips :(: Two idiots.

Teams are not allowed to trade draft picks.

KRS1
06-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Of the mocks in the thread I started yesterday, I belive 5 have us taking Julio Borbon.

WOW!!! LaPorta gone at 7. He was looking like a late first rounder on almost every board.

This crowd is funny BTW. Fromt the terrible 5-4-3-2-1 countdowns, to around 3 people doing a "lets go Brewers" chant. I wonder if Selig dug up some hardcore Brewcrew fans to come along for support?

Fungo
06-07-2007, 02:49 PM
YES!!! LaPorta is off the board....to the Brewers.

whitesoxfan
06-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Count me in the group that is glad that LaPorta is off the board.

SoxxoS
06-07-2007, 02:59 PM
Where is Randar?

balke
06-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Weathers has been selected as well by the Rockies.

Fungo
06-07-2007, 03:09 PM
1. David Price-Tampa Bay
2. Mike Moustakas-Kansas City
3. Josh Vitters-Chicago Cubs
4. Daniel Moskos-Pittsburgh
5. Matt Wieters-Baltimore
6. Ross Detwiler-Washington
7. Matt LaPorta-Milwaukee
8. Casey Weathers-Colorado
9. Jarrod Parker-Arizona
10. Madison Bumgarner-San Francisco

HotelWhiteSox
06-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Where is Randar?

Don't you see that Sox banner in the crowd?

Mr. White Sox
06-07-2007, 03:40 PM
so, considering I know absolutely zip about amateur baseball:

1) any surprises aside from LaPorta so far?
2) any ideas on who the Sox will take now that the first half of the 1st round is over?

thomas35forever
06-07-2007, 03:52 PM
I doubt the Sox'll pick this guy, but where do you think Casey Crosby will be picked?

Randar68
06-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Where is Randar?

Busy, unfortunately. I should have known better than to come to work on Day 1 of the draft. Not sure I'll have time to do a draft review this year either... :(:

KRS1
06-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Selig sure is having some fun with these city names.

Cincinatah?

Los Angeleez?

Fungo
06-07-2007, 04:02 PM
1. David Price-Tampa Bay
3. Josh Vitters-Chicago Cubs
9. Jarrod Parker-Arizona
11. Phillippe Aumont-Seattle
12. Matt Dominguez-Florida
13. Beau Mills-Cleveland
14. Jason Heyward-Atlanta
15. Devin Mesoraco-Cinncinati
16. Kevin Ahrens-Toronto
17. Blake Beavan-Texas
18. Pete Kozma-St Louis
19. Joe Savery-Philadelphia
20. Chris Withrow-Los Angeles

KRS1
06-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Alderson has been in the sports section just about every week down here in the papers. Never saw him in person, but there was plenty of hype for him locally.

jabrch
06-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Any chance we take Porcello and force ourselves to play with Boras? (and to pay him way over slot money...)

KRS1
06-07-2007, 04:20 PM
And were on the clock.

SoxSpeed22
06-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Our turn now.

champagne030
06-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Do we have the balls to take Porcello?

Randar68
06-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Do we have the balls to take Porcello?

A guy like this is available to the Sox every year and I haven't seen them take one yet...

But I would... :-)

HotelWhiteSox
06-07-2007, 04:23 PM
I figured they'd cut to commercial for us

I was hoping to see Kenny in camouflage

Hitmen77
06-07-2007, 04:24 PM
Chet Lemon is working for the Sox? They showed him on ESPN sitting with Roland Hemond.

KRS1
06-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Aaron Poreda LHP

Fungo
06-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Aaron Poreda LHPWOW

bluestar
06-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Chet Lemon is working for the Sox? They showed him on ESPN sitting with Roland Hemond.

Yes. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070529&content_id=1993005&vkey=draft2007&fext=.jsp)

KRS1
06-07-2007, 04:28 PM
MLB.com's scouting report.

Fastball:Poreda's only true pitch, but it's plus-plus. He gained 6-7 mph on it this season and was throwing it comfortably at 95-96 mph. FB Movement:His fastball sinks and runs and he's able to throw it for strikes. Slider:He has one, but it's way behind the fastball. Changeup:Just like the slider, Poreda's changeup needs a lot of work. Poise:Poreda's poise was fair, at best, but will come as he has more success on the mound. Physical Description:Big, strong left-hander with projectable frame that has already filled out some from last year. Medical Update:Healthy. Strengths:Plus, plus fastball with above-average movement and the ability to throw strikes consistently. Weaknesses:His secondary stuff. The slider and changeup will have to come a long way. Even though he's a lefty, he's not good at getting left-handed hitters out. Summary:Poreda is one of those pitchers who is new to being good. Players who come out of nowhere like he has (with the jump in velocity, especially) have to get used to being dominant. Once he grows accustomed to that, his poise should improve by leaps and bounds.

Fungo
06-07-2007, 04:28 PM
WOWI didn't see that one coming. Here's Baseball America's take on him...

4. Aaron Poreda, lhp (National rank: 37)
School: San Francisco. Class: Jr.
B-T: L-L. Ht.: 6-6. Wt.: 240. Birthdate: 10/1/86.Scouting Report: Poreda wasn't on the radar screen in high school; he focused more on football as a defensive end/tight end. He did pitch a bit, even tossing a no-hitter, but was awkward and had suspect arm action. In three seasons at San Francisco working with pitching coach Greg Moore, however, he has developed into a first-round candidate and one of the nation's hardest-throwing lefthanders. Poreda works off the fastball almost as much as UC Riverside's James Simmons (No. 47), and like Simmons, it's his only above-average pitch. While his fastball was flat and 89-90 mph in his 2007 opener, he has been consistently in the low 90s since then, touching 96-97 and regularly hitting 94. He throws plenty of strikes (though he lacks true command), and with his 6-foot-6, 240-pound frame, he should prove durable. He doesn't pitch as downhill as he should at his size, in part because of his low three-quarters arm slot. Poreda's arm action and lower slot make his breaking ball a fringe-average pitch at best, though it has improved. He has the makings of a changeup but hasn't thrown it much, sticking to his fastball. He had experimented with a higher slot to aid his breaking ball, but the move cost his fastball some of its late life and was back to his old slot.

This from MLB.com...

Fastball: Poreda's only true pitch, but it's plus-plus. He gained 6-7 mph on it this season and was throwing it comfortably at 95-96 mph.

FB Movement: His fastball sinks and runs and he's able to throw it for strikes.

Slider: He has one, but it's way behind the fastball.

Changeup: Just like the slider, Poreda's changeup needs a lot of work.

Poise: Poreda's poise was fair, at best, but will come as he has more success on the mound.

Physical Description: Big, strong left-hander with projectable frame that has already filled out some from last year.

Strengths: Plus, plus fastball with above-average movement and the ability to throw strikes consistently.

Weaknesses: His secondary stuff. The slider and changeup will have to come a long way. Even though he's a lefty, he's not good at getting left-handed hitters out.

Summary: Poreda is one of those pitchers who is new to being good. Players who come out of nowhere like he has (with the jump in velocity, especially) have to get used to being dominant. Once he grows accustomed to that, his poise should improve by leaps and bounds.

KRS1
06-07-2007, 04:29 PM
I forgot to renew my baseball america account, anyone got their report on him?

Nice fungo.......

DSpivack
06-07-2007, 04:33 PM
It sounds, with the just the fastball as a plus pitch, that it's more likely he'll end up a reliever, no?

JRIG
06-07-2007, 04:34 PM
It sounds, with the just the fastball as a plus pitch, that it's more likely he'll end up a reliever, no?

Just based upon that description by MLB.com....it sounds like he projects as Andy Sisco.

upperdeckusc
06-07-2007, 04:35 PM
i had really liked what i heard about michael main and alderson. alderson went before we got to him, so i was kind of hoping for main. he sounds like a big boy. hopefully he can produce that solid 2nd or even 3rd pitch and we can get alot from him. but from afar, it sounds like another college low ceiling pick. not TOO thrilled considering the hype i heard about other players that were still available. hopefully im wrong tho....

DSpivack
Just based upon that description by MLB.com....it sounds like he projects as Andy Sisco.

I was being optimistic...and thinking Matt Thornton. Obviously he'd have to develop his changeup/curve, or add a slider a la Thornton.

Another Football player? Him, Fields, and Owens would fields a decent team. I guess we could always trade him to the Bears.

KRS1
06-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Just got doen watching the scouting vid of him they have up at mlb.com, and it was rather impressive. Super low 3/4 arm slot, with a really effortless looking delivery.

Scottiehaswheels
06-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Just based upon that description by MLB.com....it sounds like he projects as Andy Sisco.Hopefully he's brought along a little slower than what the Royals did with Sisco though... however I have a feeling with the way our pen has been he might get a shot ASAP

upperdeckusc
06-07-2007, 04:37 PM
how many rounds of the draft is supposed to get completed today overall??

jabrch
06-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Hopefully he's brought along a little slower than what the Royals did with Sisco though... however I have a feeling with the way our pen has been he might get a shot ASAP

Royals had no choice when they took Sisco (Rule 5) from the Cubs. Had to keep him up all season last year.

veeter
06-07-2007, 04:41 PM
espn had video of everybody's pick but the Sox. Yesterday during the Mets/Phils game they showed El Duque and his throwing motion while pitching for the Yankees, D-Backs and Mets. Guess what team they left out.

Fungo
06-07-2007, 04:44 PM
More from BA's draft day blog...

After two years of taking pitchers better known for strike-throwing rather than stuff, the White Sox took San Francisco lefty Aaron Poreda, who instantly becomes one of if not the hardest thrower in the organization. He’s topped out at 97 mph and has a big, physical frame, and fits in with the organization’s appreciation of lefthanders.
Imagine a future White Sox rotation with lefties John Danks, Mark Buehrle, Gio Gonzalez and Poreda in it . . . that’s not bad.
The A’s probably are fuming that Poreda’s off the board because he fills up the strike zone with power stuff, and would have been a nice find at 26. The A’s have taken high school players high the last couple of years, and Georgia lefty Josh Smoker–whose stock fell in late May–is the highest-ranked non-Boras client on the board.

The Wimperoo
Tigers sack up and take Porcello. Two years in a row they pony up the cash to take a Top 5 pick that has fallen.

KRS1
Royals had no choice when they took Sisco (Rule 5) from the Cubs. Had to keep him up all season last year.

It was 05' they got him and had to keep him up, not last season.

Dan the Man
06-07-2007, 04:47 PM
espn had video of everybody's pick but the Sox. Yesterday during the Mets/Phils game they showed El Duque and his throwing motion while pitching for the Yankees, D-Backs and Mets. Guess what team they left out.

I was disappointed when they didn't discuss the team's recent selections. I wanted them to talk about guys like Broadway and Fields.

Fungo
06-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Aaron Poreda...

http://usfdons.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/poreda_aaron00.html

http://www.examiner.com/a-768086~Poreda_s_future_looking_bright.html

SoxxoS
06-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Some baseball mind said something along the lines of "Teams are afraid of giving big bonuses after the draft...but it ends up being a bargain if you hit on one player that far exceeds their production on that contract."

Joe Borchard had the highest signing bonus - What was it - 5.5 million for 4 years or something? What happens if he WAS really good and you were getting him for 1.25 million for 3 or 4 years in the bigs?

So he wasn't good...It's 5.5 million over 4 years - ITS NOT THAT MUCH.

DSpivack
06-07-2007, 05:08 PM
Some baseball mind said something along the lines of "Teams are afraid of giving big bonuses after the draft...but it ends up being a bargain if you hit on one player that far exceeds their production on that contract."

Joe Borchard had the highest signing bonus - What was it - 5.5 million for 4 years or something? What happens if he WAS really good and you were getting him for 1.25 million for 3 or 4 years in the bigs?

Huh? It's not a contract it's just a bonus to give a player incentive to sign.

Fungo
06-07-2007, 05:11 PM
1. David Price-Tampa Bay
3. Josh Vitters-Chicago (NL)
9. Jarrod Parker-Arizona
11. Phillippe Aumont-Seattle
12. Matt Dominguez-Florida
13. Beau Mills-Cleveland
14. Jason Heyward-Atlanta
15. Devin Mesoraco-Cinncinati
16. Kevin Ahrens-Toronto
17. Blake Beavan-Texas
18. Pete Kozma-St Louis
19. Joe Savery-Philadelphia
20. Chris Withrow-Los Angeles
21. J.P. Arencibia-Toronto
22. Tim Alderson-San Francisco
23. Nick Schmidt-San Diego
24. Micheal Main-Texas
25. Aaron Poreda-Chicago (AL)
26. James Simmons-Oakland
27. Rick Porcello-Detroit
28. Revere-Minnesota
29. Wendell Fairley-San Francisco
30. Andrew Brackman-New York (AL)

This concludes the 1st round of the draft.

The Sox will be selecting number 89, 119, 149, etc....every 30 picks.

For the record, I think Poreda was Plan B. The Sox guy was Michael Main who was selected the slot right before they picked.

California Sox
06-07-2007, 05:22 PM
I wonder if you're right about Main. He's certainly among the best athletes in the draft, which is what KW said they were looking for.

I'm kind of disappointed they took another late-rising college player (who will for-sure sign for slot money) and left Porcello to the Tigers. If the Sox are going to be outspent in the draft and have a very low profile internationally, it's going to be pretty hard for them to compete with the likes of Detroit. Slowly but surely Dombrowski is building a heck of an organization over there.

champagne030
06-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Just got doen watching the scouting vid of him they have up at mlb.com, and it was rather impressive. Super low 3/4 arm slot, with a really effortless looking delivery.

I saw the video at mlb.com and his fastball was 87-91. His delivery did look smooth and easy. I'm confused because they said after experimenting with a higher arm slot early in the year he went back to the 3/4 delivery and regained 6 mph on the fastball. Nothing in that video hints that his fastball sits 91-94 and touches 96.

He's young - if(IF) he's got a plus plus fastball then 2+ years of seasoning should let him grow into his body, gain experience (since he's raw) and work on his secondary stuff. I like this better than Broadway.

jabrch
06-07-2007, 05:24 PM
I wonder if you're right about Main. He's certainly among the best athletes in the draft, which is what KW said they were looking for.

I'm kind of disappointed they took another late-rising college player (who will for-sure sign for slot money) and left Porcello to the Tigers. If the Sox are going to be outspent in the draft and have a very low profile internationally, it's going to be pretty hard for them to compete with the likes of Detroit. Slowly but surely Dombrowski is building a heck of an organization over there.

Spending money in the draft has not proven to be the end-all answer either.

:LTP
You talking to me?

UserNameBlank
06-07-2007, 05:29 PM
March 22, 2007:
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:Rcrdc5ZyPLkxcM:http://www.theheckler.com/news/articlefiles/202-06-08-kenny-williams.JPG (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.theheckler.com/news/articlefiles/202-06-08-kenny-williams.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.theheckler.com/news/templates/default.aspx%3Fa%3D202%26template%3Dprint-article.htm&h=242&w=280&sz=15&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=Rcrdc5ZyPLkxcM:&tbnh=99&tbnw=114&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dkenny%2Bwilliams%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D 1%26hl%3Den)
"All we've talked about is who are the championship-type players, and that's part of what I meant by giving a little better direction."

June 7, 2007:
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:x22ENiiRUv86NM:http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2005/05/03/mn_selig1509.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2005/05/03/mn_selig1509.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article%3Ff%3D/c/a/2005/05/03/MNGA1CJ59N1.DTL%26o%3D0&h=404&w=580&sz=25&hl=en&start=6&um=1&tbnid=x22ENiiRUv86NM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=134&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbud%2Bselig%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26h l%3Den)
"With the 25th overall pick of the 2007 First Year Player Draft, the Chicago White Sox select Aaron Preda, a LHP from the University of San Francisco."

March 22, 2007:
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:Rcrdc5ZyPLkxcM:http://www.theheckler.com/news/articlefiles/202-06-08-kenny-williams.JPG (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.theheckler.com/news/articlefiles/202-06-08-kenny-williams.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.theheckler.com/news/templates/default.aspx%3Fa%3D202%26template%3Dprint-article.htm&h=242&w=280&sz=15&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=Rcrdc5ZyPLkxcM:&tbnh=99&tbnw=114&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dkenny%2Bwilliams%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D 1%26hl%3Den)
"There will be players we pass up who are very talented, but for whatever reason (http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:oiGf3XuGJ1piIM:http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/archives/Scott_Boras.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/archives/Scott_Boras.jpg&imgrefurl=http://baseballistic.wordpress.com/2006/11/15/daisuke-matsu-sock-a/&h=230&w=220&sz=25&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=oiGf3XuGJ1piIM:&tbnh=108&tbnw=103&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dscott%2Bboras%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%2 6hl%3Den)), they just don't fit."

This one really hurts. The major league team is playing like garbage, our team is old and needs to be torn apart, we have most of our core heading into free agency over the next two years, play in the toughest division in baseball, and just passed on the consensus 2nd best pitcher in the draft because we didn't want to give out a signing bonus.

Thanks for the kick in the balls, Kenny. Real nice "change in philosophy" there.

champagne030
06-07-2007, 05:29 PM

I think with the new rules it lessons the risk of taking a chance on signability issues. Sure, it hurts you don't get your 1st pick this season, but they would get the 26th next year as compensation for this years 25th not signing. I guess we really do hate Boras that much. KW has it right in that we better scout better because Detroit is about to start outspending us, plus their minor leagues are stocked much better right now.

UserNameBlank
06-07-2007, 05:33 PM

Totally agree. I'd much rather take the chance on a future franchise player in the draft and get burned than play it safe and spend that extra money on Rob Mackowiaks and other various bench players who provide very little.

California Sox
06-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Spending money in the draft has not proven to be the end-all answer either.

Yeah, but all other things being equal, I'd rather be the team spending the money than the one going on the cheap.

SoxxoS
06-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Huh? It's not a contract it's just a bonus to give a player incentive to sign.

And if he makes it to the bigs, doesn't he make the minimum. That's the point - What is the difference - it's a service time issue anyway.

The lack of hype doesn't make the baseball draft any less important. The reason for that is economics. In the current climate, where 21 teams have at least one player making $10 million or more (the Yankees have seven), the most valuable commodities are the pre-arbitration and pre-free agency superstars that have emerged in the past few seasons.

jabrch
06-07-2007, 05:42 PM
Yeah, but all other things being equal, I'd rather be the team spending the money than the one going on the cheap.

If that were true, I'd agree. But it isn't. Our payroll is still what...5th largest in baseball? Cheap - my ass.

balke
06-07-2007, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the kick in the balls, Kenny. Real nice "change in philosophy" there.

Yeah, its not a money issue. Anytime the Sox don't deal with Boris it is a statement. It's not about money, its about his tactics and how he's interacted with different organizations. Kenny refuses to have anything to do with the guy. And yes we have players that are his clients, but if they wanna stick around they'll have to drop him.

I'll never bash my GM for sticking by his ideals. In this case boycotting Boris overtook the Sox priority of a difference in pitchers.

Hitmen77
06-07-2007, 05:45 PM
This one really hurts. The major league team is playing like garbage, our team is old and needs to be torn apart, we have most of our core heading into free agency over the next two years, play in the toughest division in baseball, and just passed on the consensus 2nd best pitcher in the draft because we didn't want to give out a signing bonus.

If he's that much of a sure thing, then why didn't one of the 24 teams that picked ahead of the Sox take him either?

UserNameBlank
06-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Great, now douchebag is gonna pitch a no-no on the same day we **** up a draft. Wonderful.

edit: thank god. finally the a's do something awesome.

California Sox
06-07-2007, 05:49 PM
If that were true, I'd agree. But it isn't. Our payroll is still what...5th largest in baseball? Cheap - my ass.

I meant on the draft. We're in a competitive division. Consistently letting Cleveland, Minnesota, and Detroit outdraft us is not a recipe for success.

jabrch
06-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Great, now douchebag is gonna pitch a no-no on the same day we **** up a draft. Wonderful.

Wow - you are saying we **** up a draft and the first round just ended? You sure know a lot about baseball - we can tell.

Get lost troll.

jabrch
06-07-2007, 05:51 PM
I meant on the draft. We're in a competitive division. Consistently letting Cleveland, Minnesota, and Detroit outdraft us is not a recipe for success.

There's no way you can conclude that we got outdrafted. Its just not possible.

UserNameBlank
06-07-2007, 05:52 PM
If he's that much of a sure thing, then why didn't one of the 24 teams that picked ahead of the Sox take him either?
because 24 other teams either had other needs or most likely didnt want to deal with borass

the fact that he slipped so far is a blessing, not an excuse to pass up a golden opportunity.

California Sox
06-07-2007, 05:52 PM

For the record, I'm not saying we ****ed up anything. I don't know enough about this kid to say squat. I was just saying generally I wish we were an organization that scooped up players who fell on signability every once in a while. Especially since we usually pick so late.

UserNameBlank
06-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Wow - you are saying we **** up a draft and the first round just ended? You sure know a lot about baseball - we can tell.

Get lost troll.
we don't pick again until 89, troll. we didn't take the best available player due to signability issues, troll. how is it a good draft when you don't take the best available player when he is sitting in your lap?

half this team is gone after this year. most of the rest is gone after '08. where are we going to get the pieces to build another contender? the sky?

spiffie
06-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Yeah, its not a money issue. Anytime the Sox don't deal with Boris it is a statement. It's not about money, its about his tactics and how he's interacted with different organizations. Kenny refuses to have anything to do with the guy. And yes we have players that are his clients, but if they wanna stick around they'll have to drop him.

I'll never bash my GM for sticking by his ideals. In this case boycotting Boris overtook the Sox priority of a difference in pitchers.
At what point does cutting yourself off from a sizeable quantity of talent begin to hamper the ability to put together a solid team year in and year out? Especially if more agents begin to copy Boras, especially as relates to the draft? Right now we're lucky that there's only one agent who is a spectacular douchebag the likes of which we do not negotiate with. But what happens when it becomes we don't deal with Boras/Boras Clone #1/Boras Clones #2-5?

I can understand the reluctance to pursue Boras free agents. The price tag becomes unbearable with them. But to go for the low-ceiling guys simply because they are easier to sign seems like a bad investment. Yes, many of them are going to bomb. But all it takes is one to reach their potential to make the whole idea a positive.

Of course, the whole thing would be moot if we were stronger in Latin American scouting, and could start signing those kids young and cheap. If you want to defeat Boras, that's the route for the moment, getting young international kids before they can sign with agents and become pawns in the big-money game.

California Sox
06-07-2007, 05:57 PM
There's no way you can conclude that we got outdrafted. Its just not possible.

I'm saying over time. My point is that Detroit in the last three years has picked Maybin, Miller, and Porcello -- the consensus 2nd best player, best player, and 2nd best player respectively in those drafts according to Baseball America. Over the period they have added a lot of great talent on paper. Now, maybe Porcello turns into a complete bust, but as of right now he looks like pretty good value at 27. I wish we were taking aggressive risks like that. Just my opinion.

UserNameBlank
06-07-2007, 05:59 PM
For the record, I'm not saying we ****ed up anything. I don't know enough about this kid to say squat. I was just saying generally I wish we were an organization that scooped up players who fell on signability every once in a while. Especially since we usually pick so late.
I like Poreda's potential from what has been released (one paragraph anyway), but I think this year was the perfect time to do what you said. We're not going to compete with this core again and it's at least going to take another couple of years to create another one, so get the best guy available if you can afford it and add a potential difference maker to the front of the staff when it is ready to contend again.

jabrch
06-07-2007, 06:04 PM
I'm saying over time. My point is that Detroit in the last three years has picked Maybin, Miller, and Porcello -- the consensus 2nd best player, best player, and 2nd best player respectively in those drafts according to Baseball America. Over the period they have added a lot of great talent on paper. Now, maybe Porcello turns into a complete bust, but as of right now he looks like pretty good value at 27. I wish we were taking aggressive risks like that. Just my opinion.

They had 71 wins in 2005 and 72 wins in 2004. Of course they had better position then we did. But it's way too early for you to compare Porcello and Poreda and draw any conclusions. They are now going to have to spend high pick money on this high school kid. It will take him a long time to get to the majors. There's no way you can say with any degree of certainty that this is a better pick than Poreda - surely not after you factor in the huge signing bonus that he is going to cost them.

Cal - have you seen both of them pitch that much that you can make this call based on nothing but a few blurbs here and there?

Go back and look at reviews of pitchers taken in the top 10 the past 5 years. Many Porcello's turn out to be more suited for Portillo's than for the Sox.

UserNameBlank
06-07-2007, 06:11 PM
At what point does cutting yourself off from a sizeable quantity of talent begin to hamper the ability to put together a solid team year in and year out? Especially if more agents begin to copy Boras, especially as relates to the draft? Right now we're lucky that there's only one agent who is a spectacular douchebag the likes of which we do not negotiate with. But what happens when it becomes we don't deal with Boras/Boras Clone #1/Boras Clones #2-5?

I can understand the reluctance to pursue Boras free agents. The price tag becomes unbearable with them. But to go for the low-ceiling guys simply because they are easier to sign seems like a bad investment. Yes, many of them are going to bomb. But all it takes is one to reach their potential to make the whole idea a positive.

Of course, the whole thing would be moot if we were stronger in Latin American scouting, and could start signing those kids young and cheap. If you want to defeat Boras, that's the route for the moment, getting young international kids before they can sign with agents and become pawns in the big-money game.
Totally agree.

I'd also like to add that players don't get raved about the way Porcello was raved about for no reason. They don't get the pricetags they get for no reason. Scouts all over baseball don't salivate over them for no reason. Personally, I've never seen the kid play, but if just about everyone who follows these things as a career says "so and so is a polished front of the rotation starter with all star potential" then I'll take their word for it.

Yes there will be bombs, more bombs than successes obviously, but Porcello is the type of player - at least what has been said about him anyway - that in order to acquire after the draft we'd have to give up our most valuable pieces. So when we have a chance to get him for the price of one year of Dave Roberts, it's a no-brainer. Especially when 4 teams in your division are on the rise, you're on the fall, and you play in the best division in baseball.

UserNameBlank
06-07-2007, 06:37 PM
They had 71 wins in 2005 and 72 wins in 2004. Of course they had better position then we did. But it's way too early for you to compare Porcello and Poreda and draw any conclusions. They are now going to have to spend high pick money on this high school kid. It will take him a long time to get to the majors. There's no way you can say with any degree of certainty that this is a better pick than Poreda - surely not after you factor in the huge signing bonus that he is going to cost them.

Cal - have you seen both of them pitch that much that you can make this call based on nothing but a few blurbs here and there?

Go back and look at reviews of pitchers taken in the top 10 the past 5 years. Many Porcello's turn out to be more suited for Portillo's than for the Sox.
On Porcello (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/events/draft_report/y2007/index.jsp?mc=porcello)

On Poreda (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/events/draft_report/y2007/index.jsp?mc=poreda)

Assuming you take these scouting reports as fact and not random babble pulled out of the asses of the people who wrote them, you can certainly say that right now Porcello is the much better pitcher. 4 good pitches including a ++FB, great command, and smooth delivery sounds a lot better than a former football player who relies on his ++FB and has no secondary pitches. Is the difference between the two worth about 7-8mil, roughly the price of one year of Jason Marquis? I think so.

KRS1
06-07-2007, 06:43 PM
I saw the video at mlb.com and his fastball was 87-91. His delivery did look smooth and easy. I'm confused because they said after experimenting with a higher arm slot early in the year he went back to the 3/4 delivery and regained 6 mph on the fastball. Nothing in that video hints that his fastball sits 91-94 and touches 96.

A couple things. It doesnt say when the video is from. Secondly, if you recall from a few years back with Lumsden, his video was the exact same thing. High 80's on the gun in his scouting video. Yet every single time I saw him in person(around 3 times, and a couple times at Clemson on TV) he was throwing from 91-96. There is a lot more instances of this happening from my viewing them, but this was just the one that came up off the top of my head. There always seems to be these differences in scouting report numbers, and scouting video numbers, so I guess we have to question the accuaracy of the gun on the tape.

KRS1
06-07-2007, 06:48 PM
On Porcello (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/events/draft_report/y2007/index.jsp?mc=porcello)

On Poreda (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/events/draft_report/y2007/index.jsp?mc=poreda)

Assuming you take these scouting reports as fact and not random babble pulled out of the asses of the people who wrote them, you can certainly say that right now Porcello is the much better pitcher. 4 good pitches including a ++FB, great command, and smooth delivery sounds a lot better than a former football player who relies on his ++FB and has no secondary pitches. Is the difference between the two worth about 7-8mil, roughly the price of one year of Jason Marquis? I think so.

Okay, get over it. We got it, you don't like the pick, you hate our organizational philosophy, and think our pick is a bust. We wont know the truth behind these picks for a couple years at the soonest, so dont start ripping the hair off your head just yet, and let it be. Some people agree with you, and some don't, but fact is none of them know enough yet to start losing sleep over what happened.

Three picks away from our second rounder.

KRS1
06-07-2007, 06:51 PM
Were on the board

Nevin Griffith RHP

whitesoxfan
06-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Nevin Griffith, RHP out of Middleton HS.

KRS1
06-07-2007, 06:55 PM
The guy on mlb.com said he was probably the number one buzz pitcher out of Florida, Threw consistently 94/95 every times he saw him, but drastically improved from the start of Spring to now.

Focus Area
Comments
Fastball:Griffith throws his fastball in the 91-93 mph range and pitched consistently at 91 mph. FB Movement:When he keeps his fastball at around 91 mph, it has some nice tail and dive and it runs well. When he ups the velocity, it flattens out a little. Curve:Griffith is working on a hard curve in the 86-88 mph range, but doesn't have confidence in it yet. Changeup:He has a changeup, at around 81 mph, but he doesn't throw it much. It can be an effective pitch, but he doesn't believe in it yet. Slider:Griffith throws a good sharp slider, 79-83 mph that he commands well when he's on. Control:Command of his secondary pitches is not great. In this particular outing, he wasn't as sharp due to a layoff of almost two weeks. Poise:Griffith is extremely even-keeled and handles adversity extremely well. Even though he allowed two runs in the first inning of this start, and didn't get help from his defense, he never lost his cool and tried to pick his teammates up. Physical Description:Griffith has a good projectable body, with long arms and legs and big hands. Medical Update:Healthy. Strengths:Demeanor beyond his years, Griffith is smooth and quiet on the mound, always under control and methodical. He rises to challenges well, such as facing top hitting prospect Michael Burgess for the third time in this outing and handling him well. Weaknesses:He doesn't command his secondary pitches consistently and needs to improve his changeup and curve. He wasn't particularly sharp in this specific outing. The flip side of his cool demeanor is that sometimes scouts wish they saw a little more fire in him out there. Summary:Griffith is a projectable right-hander with two average or above-average pitches right now in his fastball and slider. If he can improve his curve and changeup, he has the chance to have four usable pitches. He stays very even-keeled on the mound and shows maturity beyond his years when adversity comes his way.

KRS1
06-07-2007, 06:59 PM
119 k's in 68 IP's.

The scouts love him, and BA tabbed him a first sup. pick.

BA report....

45. Nevin Griffith, rhp
School: Middleton HS, Tampa. Class: Sr.
B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-4. Wt.: 180. Birthdate: 3/23/89.
Scouting Report: The quintessential projectable high school pitcher, Griffith showed all the ingredients of a premium prospect as an underclassman and put it all together this spring. He solidified his status as a high-round pick by dominating in two showdowns with crosstown rival Michael Burgess and Hillsborough High, the first of which was the buzz of amateur baseball for weeks. Griffith is long, lean and athletic with a whippy arm action. He has improved his balance over the rubber and better incorporated his lower half in his delivery, and his velocity spiked, touching 96 mph and humming along at 90-92 with sink on most nights. His 80-84 mph slider is a plus pitch at times, and he throws a more traditional curveball as well. He has feel for a changeup that he can keep down in the zone. Outside of inconsistency and fatigue, there isn't much to knock on Griffith, who profiles as a middle-of-the-rotation starter and should be drafted in the supplemental round.

W L ERA G SV IP H BB SO
7 2 0.92 11 1 68 36 18 119

UserNameBlank
06-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Okay, get over it. We got it, you don't like the pick, you hate our organizational philosophy, and think our pick is a bust. We wont know the truth behind these picks for a couple years at the soonest, so dont start ripping the hair off your head just yet, and let it be. Some people agree with you, and some don't, but fact is none of them know enough yet to start losing sleep over what happened.

Three picks away from our second rounder.
You pretty much called it except for the bust part. There is no way to tell if he'll be a bust or not, and I don't automatically assume he will be, but he needs a lot more work than Porcello does.
The guy on mlb.com said he was probably the number one buzz pitcher out of Florida, Threw consistently 94/95 every times he saw him, but drastically improved from the start of Spring to now.
This one looks good. Kind of sounds like a healthier RH version of Tyler Lumsden.

upperdeckusc
06-07-2007, 07:10 PM
was lumsden that big of a K machine? i think this guy projects a lil higher than that. i think this is a good bounce back pick. the 1st rounder wasn't the ideal pick in our minds, but it didn't totally blow either. god i wish main wasnt drafted the pick b4 ours. i really think we were going to draft him. oh well. lets hope for a good 3rd rounder. at least one that's approving to us, of course

KRS1
06-07-2007, 07:12 PM
You pretty much called it except for the bust part. There is no way to tell if he'll be a bust or not, and I don't automatically assume he will be, but he needs a lot more work than Porcello does.

This one looks good. Kind of sounds like a healthier RH version of Tyler Lumsden.

I don't really get the Ty comaprison, one was a college pitcher, one is a HS pitcher. I guess I can see the "great arm, with nasty, yet raw breaking stuff", when comparing them at the draft. The more I read about Griffith the more I love this pick. He was a person everyone who has been looking at the draft knew about, but I really hadnt read much about him until now. Nice high ceiling HS pitcher with a live arm who wont cost us the world to get signed. Even though he is relatively raw, there is a lot of talent to work with there.

UserNameBlank
06-07-2007, 07:14 PM
was lumsden that big of a K machine? i think this guy projects a lil higher than that. i think this is a good bounce back pick. the 1st rounder wasn't the ideal pick in our minds, but it didn't totally blow either. god i wish main wasnt drafted the pick b4 ours. i really think we were going to draft him. oh well. lets hope for a good 3rd rounder. at least one that's approving to us, of course
He was supposed to be but his K rate declined a ton. Hopefully this guy will be much better.

upperdeckusc
06-07-2007, 07:17 PM
got'cha. does anyone know how many rounds of the draft they will get thru today??

UserNameBlank
06-07-2007, 07:17 PM
^5

upperdeckusc
06-07-2007, 07:18 PM
^5

does that count the supplemental round as well, or 5 rounds plus the sup. round?

UserNameBlank
06-07-2007, 07:21 PM
does that count the supplemental round as well, or 5 rounds plus the sup. round?
nope. supplementals don't count as a real round or something like that. our second round pick is still a second rounder even though there was a round between the first and second.

upperdeckusc
06-07-2007, 07:24 PM
does any1 feel like updating the list of players drafted in all the rounds up to now? im at work and cant download the right stuff to use the draft tracker on mlb.com. im guessing julio bourbon isnt still around. he was supposed to be a speedy OF leadoff type with pop that we were looking at and was supposed to go late 1st round/sup round. or that other OF, kentrail something.....?

KRS1
06-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Were on the clock

John Ely RHP

UserNameBlank
06-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Someone is probably posting a report on him now, so I'll post his stats (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/E/John-Ely.shtml):

Fungo
06-07-2007, 07:30 PM
3. John Ely, rhp (National rank: 76)
School: Miami (Ohio). Class: Jr.
B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-1. Wt.: 190. Birthdate: 5/13/86.Scouting Report: Ely can't fill out a uniform or light up a radar gun as well as his Miami teammate Connor Graham can, but he has outperformed Graham in college and in the Cape Cod League and has a better chance to be a major league starter. Ely is just 6-foot-1 and 190 pounds, and he has a head jerk in his maximum-effort delivery. His stuff is hard to argue with, however. His 89-94 mph fastball and his vastly improved changeup both qualify as plus pitches, and his curve is an average offering. Though he lacks smooth mechanics, he throws strikes and has a resilient arm that never has given him problems. His delivery also gives him deception that makes him harder to hit. Ely also is an intense competitor who helped his cause by pitching a complete-game seven-hitter at Texas in March. Though Graham scores better in what the NFL would call "measurables," Ely should get drafted slightly ahead of him, probably in the second round.

KRS1
06-07-2007, 07:34 PM
MLB.com guys...

"Sinker, slider guy. Really solid pick by the White Sox."

No way. He's from my neighbor town of Homewood(I grew up in Flossmoor)!!! Nice.

The scouting vid of him has him throwing 92 with some real nice sink, even touching 93. Also, has a nice bender in the high 70's.

whitesoxfan
I really love our draft so far. Three pretty good pitchers.

UserNameBlank
Well Kenny's being risky at least.

DSpivack
06-07-2007, 07:36 PM
MLB.com guys...

The scouting vid of him has him throwing 92 with some real nice sink, even touching 93. Also, has a nice bender in the high 70's.

Did he got to H-F? Pretty cool if we drafted a Sox fan.

KRS1
06-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Did he got to H-F? Pretty cool if we drafted a Sox fan.

Yeah he did. I have a lot of friends who went to H-F, and I'm calling one who has a little bro the same age to see if he knows him.

Fungo
06-07-2007, 07:39 PM
MLB.com guys...

The scouting vid of him has him throwing 92 with some real nice sink, even touching 93. Also, has a nice bender in the high 70's.Like the BA breakdown says, the first thing I noticed about him on the draft video is the head jerk in his delivery. Max delivery motion similar to MacDougal.

FedEx227
06-07-2007, 07:39 PM
How easily we forget we have absolutely no position players in our minor league system and again continue to completely ignore it.

I'm the first guy to tell you that good pitching will always beat good hitting but we're bitting ourselves in the asses when we have no young infielders ready to step in.

My best guess is Williams is playing the market value and getting as much pitching as he can so he can sift through and trade to get positional players, but what makes us so sure that teams are willing to give up good hitting prospects in favor of "above-average" college pitchers with no real ceiling.

whitesoxfan
06-07-2007, 07:43 PM
How easily we forget we have absolutely no position players in our minor league system and again continue to completely ignore it.

I'm the first guy to tell you that good pitching will always beat good hitting but we're bitting ourselves in the asses when we have no young infielders ready to step in.

My best guess is Williams is playing the market value and getting as much pitching as he can so he can sift through and trade to get positional players, but what makes us so sure that teams are willing to give up good hitting prospects in favor of "above-average" college pitchers with no real ceiling.

Yeah, I absolutely agree with you. Our position players in the minors really are nothing to brag about. Outside of some of the prospects we have in Charlotte, Cunningham in W-S, and Carter in Kanny, we really don't have many hitting prospects. I think the pitchers that we have taken so far are going to be good pitchers. But we do need to address offense, there's no question about that.

UserNameBlank
06-07-2007, 07:46 PM

If it's any consolation, David Eckstein will be in our infield next year. It's almost like his destiny or something. Imagine what a tear-jerking moment it will be when the Eckstein-Erstad connection reunites at the top of our lineup.

FedEx227
06-07-2007, 07:46 PM
I understand why we do it, it makes sense to go pitching before hitting, but I think we've done that the past 3-4 years in the draft... why dig ourselves even further again?

If it's any consolation, David Eckstein will be in our infield next year. It's almost like his destiny or something. Imagine what a tear-jerking moment it will be when the Eckstein-Erstad connection reunites at the top of our lineup.

:puking:

UserNameBlank
06-07-2007, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I absolutely agree with you. Our position players in the minors really are nothing to brag about. Outside of some of the prospects we have in Charlotte, Cunningham in W-S, and Carter in Kanny, we really don't have many hitting prospects. I think the pitchers that we have taken so far are going to be good pitchers. But we do need to address offense, there's no question about that.
What about Paulo Orlando? He's been hitting recently and is at least a running prospect.

whitesoxfan
06-07-2007, 07:48 PM

I'll damage something if we get Eckstein.

whitesoxfan
06-07-2007, 07:50 PM
What about Paulo Orlando? He's been hitting recently and is at least a running prospect.

He's been doing well lately and like you said, he can run. But he's definitely nowhere near the level of guys like Cunningham and Carter, at least in my opinion. And even though Schnurstein is 22, I still think he's a better hitter than most of the position players we have in the system.

Fungo
06-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Padres take my guy Corey Kluber at pick 134.

UserNameBlank
06-07-2007, 07:52 PM
I'll damage something if we get Eckstein.
Then you might want to lock yourself in a padded room once the offseason starts. Kenny has already gotten his plane tickets for his visit to Eckstein's house on the day free agent signing beings.

upperdeckusc
06-07-2007, 07:54 PM

I agree that there are only a few bright spots as far as position players go, but i'd just like to throw out a few more that I'm keeping my eye on:
-Archie Gilbert
-Thomas Collero
Gilbert is only 5'8 and has amazing speed. I guess its one of those "root for the underdog" things. Collero is just a masher so far this yr.

HawkDJ
06-07-2007, 07:56 PM
Though I would've liked us to take Horton and Putkonen out of UNC back to back for pride reasons, we probably di a bit better with the picks we actually made.

upperdeckusc
06-07-2007, 08:01 PM
these players that they draft, do they start playing on our rookie ball teams right away?? do they join later on in the summer? next yr? how does that work? i never really paid attention in the past.

whitesoxfan
06-07-2007, 08:03 PM
these players that they draft, do they start playing on our rookie ball teams right away?? do they join later on in the summer? next yr? how does that work? i never really paid attention in the past.

Most usually join the rookie ball teams right away.

upperdeckusc
06-07-2007, 08:05 PM
nice. how far are we away from our 4th round pick??

KRS1
Were on the board

Leroy Hunt RHP

UserNameBlank
on the clock again...

Fungo
06-07-2007, 08:07 PM
4th Round

30. Leroy Hunt, rhp (National rank: 167)
School: Sacramento CC. Class: So.
B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-6. Wt.: 220. Birthdate: 11/28/87.Scouting Report: The Reds drafted Hunt in 2005 as an outfielder out of high school and followed him to Sacramento City College. He had enormous raw power as a hitter but never seemed to get comfortable at the plate against good velocity, so Sac City moved him to the mound to take advantage of his arm strength. While he remains raw, Hunt has one of the best fastballs in the state. It has heavy sink and boring armside run, and Hunt throws it in the 90-94 mph range, touching 95 at times. His secondary stuff (slider, changeup) is almost nonexistent, but that didn't stop him from a 40-inning scoreless streak this spring, including a pair of outings against better-regarded Matt Thompson of Santa Rosa (Calif.) Junior College. Hunt needs to develop either his slider or changeup to have a second pitch, a concern because he hasn't shown much aptitude so far. He doesn't have a four-year college option and should be an easy sign, and with his intimidating size (6-foot-6, 220 pounds) and fastball, he profiles as a power reliever.

KRS1
06-07-2007, 08:07 PM
MLB.com announcer...

"Leroy hunt is probably the hardest thrower in the CA CC ranks. Really came on this year, and really projectable"

whitesoxfan
06-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Another potential high-reward type player.

balke
06-07-2007, 08:12 PM
half this team is gone after this year. most of the rest is gone after '08. where are we going to get the pieces to build another contender? the sky?

The pitcher we took instead, who for all you know could be better.

FedEx227
06-07-2007, 08:12 PM
His secondary stuff (slider, changeup) is almost nonexistent,

Always something you look for. Can't have enough David Aardsma's

upperdeckusc
06-07-2007, 08:15 PM
apparently don cooper will be spending time at rookie ball this year to work his magic. if the magic doesn't work, he will have a big red sack over his shoulder and he will be giving away sliders and curveballs and change ups to good little pitchers....preferably the ones over 6'4 tall

KRS1
06-07-2007, 08:15 PM
From his video, his motion is a pretty crazy, near side-arm action. He has some sick movement on his fastball, and his curve snapped pretty well. At first I thought he kept missing by far inside, but the batter was swinging at almost all of those pitches, so I'm going to guess it was the camera angle along with his movement that is playing tricks on me.

KRS1
06-07-2007, 08:17 PM
apparently don cooper will be spending time at rookie ball this year to work his magic. if the magic doesn't work, he will have a big red sack over his shoulder and he will be giving away sliders and curveballs and change ups to good little pitchers over 6'4 tall

:tealtutor::tealpolice:

UserNameBlank
06-07-2007, 08:18 PM
The pitcher we took instead, who for all you know could be better.
Hopefully.

upperdeckusc
06-07-2007, 08:21 PM
:tealtutor::tealpolice:

i knew something looked weird about that. i thought it was just my comp screen. lol thanks

letsgosox1592
06-07-2007, 08:27 PM
does anyone know if that pitcher casey crosby got drafted yet?

Fungo
06-07-2007, 08:32 PM

Not as far as I can tell.

KRS1
06-07-2007, 08:33 PM

He's not listed under the name category (C's) as a taken player in the mlb.com draft tracker, so I believe he is still available.

KRS1
06-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Were on the clock.....

Nathan Jones RHP

whitesoxfan
06-07-2007, 08:42 PM
Nathan Jones, RHP out of Northern Kentucky. All pitchers for us in the first day.

Fungo
06-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Were on the clock.....

Nathan Jones RHP

Not much out there on him, here's media guide info...

http://www.nku.edu/~athletics/MBaseball/2007/Players/njones.html

Fungo
06-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Detroit takes him at pick 181.

upperdeckusc
06-07-2007, 08:52 PM
i went to northern kentuckys site to check stats. they're set up really weird, but if im not mistaken, it says he avgs 9k/9inn and 6bbs/9inns. i dunno bout this one. nku isnt a big school and he wasnt even the ace there or the top 2 pitchers......
heres the link to their season stats. he had 38 walks in like 56 innings, but only gave up 36 hits in that same time frame. i find it hard to believe he was the best pitcher out there at that time. oh well....

champagne030
06-07-2007, 08:53 PM
A couple things. It doesnt say when the video is from. Secondly, if you recall from a few years back with Lumsden, his video was the exact same thing. High 80's on the gun in his scouting video. Yet every single time I saw him in person(around 3 times, and a couple times at Clemson on TV) he was throwing from 91-96. There is a lot more instances of this happening from my viewing them, but this was just the one that came up off the top of my head. There always seems to be these differences in scouting report numbers, and scouting video numbers, so I guess we have to question the accuaracy of the gun on the tape.

Okay. I do remember the Lumsden video and it was way lower than when I saw him pitching on TV. Anyway, I'm not panning the pick. I do believe he's got a lot of upside especially being somewhat raw for a college junior and a ++ fastball. You can teach someone an offspeed pitch, but you cannot teach a 96 mph fastball. :D:

I don't really get the Ty comaprison, one was a college pitcher, one is a HS pitcher. I guess I can see the "great arm, with nasty, yet raw breaking stuff", when comparing them at the draft. The more I read about Griffith the more I love this pick. He was a person everyone who has been looking at the draft knew about, but I really hadnt read much about him until now. Nice high ceiling HS pitcher with a live arm who wont cost us the world to get signed. Even though he is relatively raw, there is a lot of talent to work with there.

I agree that using Ty is not a good comparison and also like the upside in this pick.

upperdeckusc
06-07-2007, 09:01 PM
http://www.nku.edu/~athletics/MBaseball/2007/Box%20Scores/teamcume.htm (http://www.nku.edu/~athletics/MBaseball/2007/Box%20Scores/teamcume.htm)

PeoriaSoxFan
06-08-2007, 12:41 AM
I am so sick of talking about the worst bullpen and offense in the major leagues. I want to belive it isn't true, but it is. Anyway, what are the thoughts on the draft today? I see we took 5 pitchers with the first 5 picks. I know nothing about these guys and admit they could be the next 5 Cy Youngs, for all I know. But, is KW going overboard on acquiring pitching talent? Sure, pitching wins games, but you have to get some position players on the way and actually field and hit the ball.

We basically have jack squat in the minor leagues from what I have seen or heard regarding our postion players. Fields and Sweeney, maybe, but what else? With all of our free agents, etc., coming up, where is this team going? In my mind, KW is obsessed with guys who can throw 90+, guys who can hit 300+, not so much.

Anyway, what does everyone else think? I have found limited info on the web about these picks.

soxfanreggie
06-08-2007, 12:50 AM
Jones seems to have developed late. Looks to be a combo starter-reliever. Good ERA, esp. for college and a good BA against, but he did play for NKU.

However, the thing to consider is the competition that he faced....not very good. He must have been picked for his potential.

I am very, very concerned about our lack of interest in early rounds of position players. I think one thing to look at is our lack of getting top tier draft picks who are pichers to the majors in a Sox uniform.

krohnjw
06-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Maybe we are going the stockpile young pitching prospect talent to trade for established fielders route? :dunno:

California Sox
06-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Also, just like in any draft it can just "fall" that way. Maybe the Sox were interested in a position player who was grabbed a couple picks before their turn and the next guy on their board happened to be a pitcher. It's a little unfortunate because this draft is supposed to be strong in HS position players and so far we haven't grabbed one, but we usually do pretty well in rounds 5-15. Often better than we do 1-5.

CleeFan101
06-08-2007, 10:29 AM
It seems like our first 2 picks have top of the rotation potential but the next 3 are kind lf lame ducks in my opinion. Also Poveda has A LOT of work to do to get to the majors. Our organization usually teaches the changeup, cutter, and 2 seamer better than anything else so he is going to prob need to really develop 2 of those pitches to go along with his 4 seamer.

GoSox2K3
06-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Joe Cowley's take on the Sox first pick:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/419888,CST-SPT-sdraft08.article

Fungo
06-08-2007, 11:37 AM
Day 2 has started...

Sox with pick 209 to start and every 30 after that.

jabrch
06-08-2007, 11:40 AM
the next 3 are kind lf lame ducks in my opinion.

Lame ducks?

Fungo
06-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Round 6, pick 209

Johnnie Lowe, RHP, Point Loma Nazarene (Calif.)

Lowe, raw and inexperienced on the mound, first garnered attention last year at Grossmont (Calif.) Junior College, and had touched 95 mph this spring with his fastball. He usually sat in the 91-93 mph range and complemented it with a solid split-finger fastball. He's a physical specimen with a quick arm and athletic ability. He throws a changeup and curveball but both need work, and he's worked on a slider in predraft workouts, showing some aptitude for the pitch. He didn't dominate NAIA as he probably should have with his stuff, and at 22 has yet to develop a true strikeout pitch or bulldog mentality. Still, in a year with few college power arms, he figures to go off the board in the first eight rounds.

Fungo
06-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Round 7, 239

Jimmy Gallagher, of, Duke

Jimmy Gallagher is somewhat of a 'tweener. He does not show enough range and speed to play center field in pro ball, and his fringy arm plays best in left field. He'll have to make the most of his solid-average bat speed and sound feel for hitting in order to play his way to the big leagues as a left fielder.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22852&SPID=1850&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=151928&Q_SEASON=2006

Fungo
06-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Round 8, 269

Lyndon Estill, OF, Lower Columbia College (Wash)

http://www.lcc.ctc.edu/athletics/baseball/mens/records.xtm

Drafted by the Pirates in 2005 out of Sammamish H.S. Big time physical tool player, who can run, throw and hit with some power. Developing plate awareness is the key. With some time and experience, he should be a force in the league. He will play CF or LF, giving us flexibility against lefties.

Fungo
06-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Round 9, 299

Kenneth Gilbert, of, DeSoto (Texas) HS

Fungo
06-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Round 10, 329

Brian Guinn, ss, Berkeley HS, El Sobrante, Calif.

A better athlete is California-bound Brian Guinn, who lacks Yarrow's power. He trumps him in other tools and was the top prep hitter in the Bay Area, with athleticism and a solid run tool. Scouts considered him a tough sign outside the first five rounds, and weren't convinced he merited first-five-rounds money.

Fungo
06-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Round 11, 359

Jordan Kendall, of, Contra Costa College, CA

Fungo
06-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Round 12, 389

Kevin Skogley, lhp, Nevada-Las Vegas

Lefty Kevin Skogley is the better prospect and a similar tease. He had a 15-strikeout effort against San Diego State, tying a school record, on a day when his fastball rarely topped 90 but Aztecs hitters kept chasing his slider out of the zone. He threw harder more consistently last year and has touched 94 mph in shorter stints, but his fastball lacks movement and deception. Skogley allowed a .326 average to opposing hitters

http://unlvrebels.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/skogley_kevin00.html

Fungo
06-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Round 13, 49

Sergio Miranda, ss, Virginia Commonwealth

Miranda is another gamer who gives his best on every play. He's more of a slap-and-run hitter, but he too has enough bat speed and strength to pile up doubles as a professional. A switch-hitter, he shows a feel for the strike zone and has fair plate discipline. He's a solid-average runner with an average arm and adequate defensive ability at shortstop. He has value as a potential utilityman in the big leagues and should be drafted in the fifth- to seventh-round range.

http://vcurams.vcu.edu/ba/07bios/miranda.html

California Sox
06-08-2007, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the updates, Fungo.

Really striking, considering how they talked prior to the draft, with how many college players the Sox are taking. Hope they are able to sign the ss as we are hurting for middle infielders at all levels.

Scottiehaswheels
06-08-2007, 01:06 PM
Round 11, 359

Jordan Kendall, of, Contra Costa College, CAHappen to know if he's related to Jason by chance?

Fungo
06-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Round 14, 449

John Curtis, c, Cal State Fullerton

http://fullertontitans.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/curtis_john00.html

Fungo
06-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Round 15, 479

Greg Paiml, ss, Alabama

http://www.rolltide.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=37450&SPID=3029&DB_OEM_ID=8000&ATCLID=612110&Q_SEASON=2006

itsnotrequired
06-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Scott Reifert discusses the draft on his blog.

After the pick, KW and Shaffer went into Kenny's office to call Aaron and I tagged along. They reached him on his cell phone to congratulate him and welcome him to the White Sox. It sounded like Aaron was at the biggest celebration party ever. You could hardly hear him over the roar.

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/inside_the_white_sox/2007/06/inside_the_draf.html

jabrch
06-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Round 15, 479

Greg Paiml, ss, Alabama

http://www.rolltide.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=37450&SPID=3029&DB_OEM_ID=8000&ATCLID=612110&Q_SEASON=2006

Are you kidding? There was Johnny Whammacker, the SS from NW Bmidji State who was still available, and we passed him up for this guy?

Fungo
06-08-2007, 02:02 PM
Round 16,509

Nick Mahin, rhp, CS Fullerton

http://fullertontitans.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/mahin_nick00.html

Fungo
06-08-2007, 02:05 PM
Round 17, 539

Dale Mollenhauer, ss, E. Carolina U.

Dale Mollenhauer. He's similar to Clemson second baseman Taylor Harbin in that his tools are fringy, but like Harbin has performed throughout his career. Both do the little things that can help a club, and Mollenhauer's fringe-average bat speed and patient, pesky approach were growing on scouts before the injury. He'll probably slide over to second base in pro ball, as his range is not a plus. He could be drafted in the sixth to eighth round.

http://ecupirates.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/mollenhauer_dale00.html

Fungo
06-08-2007, 02:08 PM
Round 18, 569

Levi Maxwell, rhp, West Virginia

http://www.msnsportsnet.com/profile.cfm?id=100667&sport=baseball

Fungo
06-08-2007, 02:10 PM
Round 19, 599

Tom Mabee, rhp, Morehead State (KY)

Fungo
06-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Round 20, 629

Logan Johnson, 2b, Univ. of Louisville

http://uoflsports.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/johnson_logan00.html

Fungo
06-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Round 21, 659

Mitchell Delaney, 1b, St Thomas of Villanova

Fungo
06-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Round 22, 689

Justin Klipp, rhp, Call State Fullerton

http://fullertontitans.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/klipp_justin00.html

Fungo
06-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Round 23, 719

Charles Shirek, rhp, Nebraska

Righthander Charlie Shirek is an even bigger enigma at Nebraska. He has the best pure stuff on the staff, with a fastball that has reached 96 mph and features good sink and run, as well as a solid slider and changeup at times. But his delivery is shaky and he hasn't fooled hitters, getting touched for a 6.39 ERA entering the NCAA regionals. After losing his spot in the Cornhuskers' weekend rotation in mid-April, Shirek was arrested. Police charged him with vandalizing a bike and a car and said his blood-alcohol level at the time of his arrest was .158. He was briefly suspended and has pitched just three times since rejoining the team. He strained his oblique muscle in the Big 12 Conference tournament.http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=104&SPID=33&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=107780&Q_SEASON=2006

Fungo
06-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Round 24, 749

Kevin Patterson, 1b, Oak Mountain HS, Birmingham

2. Kevin Patterson, 1b/c (National rank: 67)
School: Oak Mountain HS, Birmingham. Class: Sr.
B-T: L-R. Ht.: 6-4. Wt.: 215. Birthdate: 9/28/88.Scouting Report: Power is Patterson's calling card, and he has shown he has lots of it. During a scout-organized tryout for the East Coast Showcase last summer at Mississippi State, he cleared the double fences at Dudy Noble Field, and he mashed 17 home runs in a 10-out round during a home run derby in the offseason. When his senior season began, Patterson homered three times on his first three swings. He got sick and missed the East Coast Showcase last summer, which prevented him from showing his stuff to scouts outside his area, and then broke his hamate bone this spring, which cost him most of this season. He returned for the final two games and was working out for teams leading up to the draft. He has a mature, muscular body and plus bat speed. His swing lacks looseness, he tends to drift to the ball and is susceptible to soft stuff away as well as fastballs above his hands. He's raw but adequate behind the plate, but not a fast-twitch, fluid athlete, so the consensus is his final destination will be first base. Depending on how he bounces back from his injury, he could be the first player drafted from Alabama, as high as the second round.

Hitting Ability: While there are some holes in his swing, mostly on the inner half of the plate, Patterson does have some hitting skills. Being more aggressive at the plate would help as well.
Power: This is his best offensive tool. Patterson has plus, plus raw power. He's not pull-conscious; his best power is to the gaps.
Running Speed: He is a below-average runner.
Fielding: Patterson is a below-average defensive player and will have to work hard to develop even average skills at first base.
Range: He is not very mobile and has limited range.
Physical Description: Patterson is a big, strong first baseman with a Sean Casey-type body.
Medical Update: Patterson missed a large chunk of the season with a broken hammate bone in his hand, but came back healthy at the end of the season.
Strengths: His plus, plus raw power.
Weaknesses: His defense is below-average and his overall hitting package needs work outside of his power potential.
Summary: Patterson is a kind of all-or-nothing, hit-or-miss kind of guy. When he can get his arms extended, he's got tremendous power. But he also has some holes in his swing and sometimes tries to work counts too much at the plate, leaving some concerned about his overall hittability. He'll never be drafted for his glove. If he hits for power, he could be a star in the future. He does have a very strong commitment to Auburn and is considered a tough sign.

Number 2 ranked kid in Alabama. Committed to Auburn and should be a tough sign.

Fungo
06-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Round 25, 779

Dan Albritton, rhp, Florida Southern College (my alma mater)

All-conference in the Sunshine State Conference

http://www.flsouthern.edu/athletics/baseball/bios/albritton.htm

Fungo
06-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Round 26, 809

Mike Bolsenbroek, rhp, Santa Ana College

6', 8", 210lbs

Fungo
06-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Round 27, 839

Caleb Hurst, rhp, Fred Bayer HS (CA)

6', 03", 180lbs

SoxxoS
06-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Back to Poreda -

Would you say the 66 strikeouts in 99 innings is

a) a good thing b/c he has that many K's with only one pitch

b) a bad thing b/c it shows he has no secondary stuff?

At least this pick was risky, unlike those BS picks Broadway and McCollough

KRS1
06-08-2007, 03:48 PM
We drafted Bolsenbroek last year in round 41

Fungo
06-08-2007, 03:50 PM
Round 28, 869

Chris Epps, of/rhp, Dunwoody (Ga.) HS

Fungo
06-08-2007, 03:51 PM
We drafted Bolsenbroek last year in round 41I knew the name sounded familiar. Thanks.

KRS1
06-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Back to Poreda -

Would you say the 66 strikeouts in 99 innings is

a) a good thing b/c he has that many K's with only one pitch

b) a bad thing b/c it shows he has no secondary stuff?

I was saying a yesterday when talking to a friend of mine. It's hards to get K's when batters know they can hit(don't have to worry about) your off-speed stuff, no matter how well you throw a fastball.

SoxxoS
06-08-2007, 03:53 PM
I was saying a yesterday when talking to a friend of mine. It's hards to get K's when batters know they can hit(don't have to worry about) your off-speed stuff, no matter how well you throw a fastball.

So he is about 3 years away...b/c it is going to take time to develop that off-speed stuff.

Good. I would rather wait 3 years and have a guy that can be a stud than wait 1.5 years and have a guy that is going to get bombed b/c he doesn't have good enough stuff (cough last two first rounders cough).

Fungo
06-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Round 29, 899

Jabari Blash, rf, Charlotte Amalie HS (FL)

6' 04", 190lbs

Fungo
06-08-2007, 04:08 PM
Round 30, 929

John Flanagan, lhp, Belleville (Ill.) East HS

Fungo
06-08-2007, 04:16 PM
In the 32nd round, the Colorado Rockies select Kenny Williams son. Pick 971 overall.

http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=61171&SPID=2844&DB_OEM_ID=7500&ATCLID=648540&Q_SEASON=2006

jabrch
06-08-2007, 04:19 PM

Good. I would rather wait 3 years and have a guy that can be a stud than wait 1.5 years and have a guy that is going to get bombed b/c he doesn't have good enough stuff (cough last two first rounders cough).

Broadway has looked decent with the Knights (3.30 ERA). McCulloch has one bad start this year (2 IP and 9 ER - without which he'd have 19 ER in 63 IP - a 2.714 ERA).

Why are you so down on those picks?

jabrch
06-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Round 24, 749

Kevin Patterson, 1b, Oak Mountain HS, Birmingham

Number 2 ranked kid in Alabama. Committed to Auburn and should be a tough sign.

Would take well over slot money to get him. Big kid, 1B, from Bama, going to Auburn, we've had some success in the past with that profile.

Sounds like a lock he's going to school, huh?

KRS1
06-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Guinn and Babitt played together on an area code team, check it out, they have their pic together on this page.

http://www.shortstopmanagement.com/Teams.htm

06-08-2007, 05:02 PM
In the 32nd round, the Colorado Rockies select Kenny Williams son. Pick 971 overall.

http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=61171&SPID=2844&DB_OEM_ID=7500&ATCLID=648540&Q_SEASON=2006

Kenny should have taken him.

Tragg
06-08-2007, 05:32 PM

Better than his predecessor drafting his daughter.

Britt Burns
06-08-2007, 05:39 PM
It sems to me the Sox are taking a lot more left-handed bats this year than normal...like that approach. Who is the last solid lefty bat we've developed? Ventura? I have to be missing someone...right?

This is just speculation on my part-no real data to back it up-but I think one of the reasons KW loves lefty pitchers is that they tend to put up better numbers in the minors (relative to right-handed pitchers with the same stuff) as most hitters in the lower levels haven't faced many good lefties, inflating their trade value. Back to my original point, perhaps this could work in reverse with left-handed hitters...just a thought....

FedEx227
06-08-2007, 06:32 PM

He already did select him in the 38th round of the 2004 draft.

California Sox
06-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Round 29, 899

Jabari Blash, rf, Charlotte Amalie HS (FL)

6' 04", 190lbs

I think I have a new favorite baseball name ever.

California Sox
06-08-2007, 06:42 PM
Here's a picture of Kevin Patterson and Jabari Blash standing next to each other in the National High School Home Run Derby. (Patterson represented Alabama and Jabari Blash represented the Virgin Islands.)

http://www.powershowcase.us/

UserNameBlank
06-08-2007, 07:21 PM
1. Aaron Poreda LHP
2. Nevin Griffith RHP
3. John Ely RHP
4. Leroy Hunt RHP
5. Nathan Jones RHP
6. Johnnie Lowe RHP
7. James Gallagher CF
8. Lyndon Estill CF
9. Kenneth Gilbert CF
10. Brian Guinn SS
11. Jordan Kendall OF
12. Kevin Skogley LHP
13. Sergio Miranda SS
14. John Curtis C
15. Gregory Paiml SS
16. Nicholas Mahin RF
17. Dale Mollenhauer SS
18. Levi Maxwell RHP
19. Thomas Mabee RHP
20. Logan Johnson 2B
21. Mitchell Delaney 1B
22. Justin Kilpp RHP
23. Charles Shirek RHP
24. Kevin Patterson 1B
25. Daniel Albritton RHP
26. Mike Bolsenbroek RHP
27. Caleb Hurst RHP
28. Christopher Epps RF
29. Jabari Blash RF
30. John Flanagan LHP
31. Eduardo Orozco RHP
32. Andre Lamontagne RHP
33. Mitchell LeVier CF
34. Ryan Sharpley RHP
35. Zachary Babitt 2B
36. Oney Guillen 2B - Ozzie's kid!
37. Alexander Rodriguez 3B
38. Grant Monroe RHP
39. Roderick Jones CF
40. Austin King 2B
41. Devon Shines 1B - is this Razor's relation?
42. Michael Jones CF
43. Bladwin Vargas RHP
44. John Grim 1B
45. Ronald Morales LHP
...and that's it.

UserNameBlank
06-08-2007, 07:27 PM
It's interesting to note that MLB.com only has full scouting reports on 3 of our 45 picks. There are reports on Poreda (25th overall), Griffith (89th overall), and Patterson (749th overall) who looks to be an impossible signing.

Looks like they were working under the radar quite a bit in this draft.

sox1970
06-08-2007, 11:29 PM
Yes, Devin Shines is the son of Razor.

IlliniSox4Life
06-09-2007, 01:43 AM
Oney? Are you ****ing kidding me? I knew you take some long shots later on in the draft, but ****, I'm only 21, can somebody draft me? Sure I need to lose a few pounds, but I can be in tip top shape by spring training.

IlliniSox4Life
06-09-2007, 01:44 AM
Yes, Devin Shines is the son of Razor.

I just realized that there are only 3 different letters in my name and Devin Shines' name, and that includes them being in order.

FedEx227
06-09-2007, 02:40 AM
Oney? Are you ****ing kidding me? I knew you take some long shots later on in the draft, but ****, I'm only 21, can somebody draft me? Sure I need to lose a few pounds, but I can be in tip top shape by spring training.

Anybody have an idea how exactly you get your name in the pool. I got a friend whos playing semi-pro ball right now and we couldn't find anything. **** if Oney can get drafted a 6'4 lefty playing semi-pro ball in Chicago with a 1.34 ERA in 14 IP, should get some look.

Nellie_Fox
06-09-2007, 03:40 AM
Anybody have an idea how exactly you get your name in the pool. I got a friend whos playing semi-pro ball right now and we couldn't find anything. **** if Oney can get drafted a 6'4 lefty playing semi-pro ball in Chicago with a 1.34 ERA in 14 IP, should get some look.If he's really any good, the scouts will find him.

goon
06-09-2007, 04:06 AM
Sounds like we are trying to load up our rotation with a bunch of Jon Garlands... which is fine by me.

tacosalbarojas
06-09-2007, 11:39 AM
1. Aaron Poreda LHP
2. Nevin Griffith RHP
3. John Ely RHP
4. Leroy Hunt RHP
5. Nathan Jones RHP
6. Johnnie Lowe RHP
7. James Gallagher CF
8. Lyndon Estill CF
9. Kenneth Gilbert CF
10. Brian Guinn SS
11. Jordan Kendall OF
12. Kevin Skogley LHP
13. Sergio Miranda SS
14. John Curtis C
15. Gregory Paiml SS
16. Nicholas Mahin RF
17. Dale Mollenhauer SS
18. Levi Maxwell RHP
19. Thomas Mabee RHP
20. Logan Johnson 2B
21. Mitchell Delaney 1B
22. Justin Kilpp RHP
23. Charles Shirek RHP
24. Kevin Patterson 1B
25. Daniel Albritton RHP
26. Mike Bolsenbroek RHP
27. Caleb Hurst RHP
28. Christopher Epps RF
29. Jabari Blash RF
30. John Flanagan LHP
31. Eduardo Orozco RHP
32. Andre Lamontagne RHP
33. Mitchell LeVier CF
34. Ryan Sharpley RHP
35. Zachary Babitt 2B
36. Oney Guillen 2B - Ozzie's kid!
37. Alexander Rodriguez 3B
38. Grant Monroe RHP
39. Roderick Jones CF
40. Austin King 2B
41. Devon Shines 1B - is this Razor's relation?
42. Michael Jones CF
43. Bladwin Vargas RHP
44. John Grim 1B
45. Ronald Morales LHP
...and that's it.
Grant Monroe is Larry Monroe's son - three relatives of Sox employees taken in the later rounds - seems like a lot but then again these truly are longshots anyway. Monroe has carved out a name for himself at Schaumburg the past couple of years.

SoxxoS
06-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Wasn't Piazza a Dodgers draft pick b/c of Lasorda?

Who knows at that stage.

jabrch
06-10-2007, 09:28 AM
Wasn't Piazza a Dodgers draft pick b/c of Lasorda?

Who knows at that stage.

Yeah, Piazza was Tommy's god-son. Teams do that all the time.

Fungo
06-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Just an update on a few signings from this years draft, signings in bold...

25 Poreda, Aaron U San Francisco LHP JR
89 Griffith, Nevin Middleton HS RHP HS
119 Ely, John Miami U RHP JR
149 Hunt, Leroy Sacramento CC RHP J2
179 Jones, Nathan Northern Kentucky U RHP JR
209 Lowe, Johnnie Point Loma Nazarene RHP SR
239 Gallagher, James Duke U CF JR
269 Estill, Lyndon Lower Columbia Col CF J2
299 Gilbert, Kenneth De Soto HS CF HS
329 Guinn, Brian Berkeley HS SS HS
359 Kendall, Jordan Contra Costa Col OF J2
389 Skogley, Kevin U Nevada Las Vegas LHP SR
419 Miranda, Sergio Virginia Commonweal SS JR
449 Curtis, John Cal St Fullerton C 5S
479 Paiml, Gregory Alabama Tuscaloosa SS SR
509 Mahin, Nicholas Cal St Fullerton RF JR
539 Mollenhauer, Dale East Carolina U SS JR
569 Maxwell, Levi West Virginia U RHP SR
599 Mabee, Thomas Morehead St U RHP SR
629 Johnson, Logan U Louisville 2B SR
659 Delaney, Mitchell St Thomas of Villan 1B HS
689 Klipp, Justin Cal St Fullerton RHP SR
719 Shirek, Charles U Nebraska Lincoln RHP JR
749 Patterson, Kevin Oak Mountain HS 1B HS
779 Albritton, Daniel Florida Southern RHP SR
809 Bolsenbroek, Mike Santa Ana Col RHP J2
839 Hurst, Caleb Fred Beyer HS RHP HS
869 Epps, Christopher Dunwoody HS RF HS
899 Blash, Jabari Charlotte Amalie HS RF HS
929 Flanagan, John Belleville Twp HS LHP HS
958 Orozco, Eduardo Rubidoux HS RHP HS
987 Lamontagne, Andre Cal St Long Beach RHP SO
1016 LeVier, Mitchell Fullerton Col CF J1
1045 Sharpley, Ryan Marshall HS RHP HS
1074 Babitt, Zachary Albany HS 2B HS
1102 Oney, Guillen North Park Univ 2B JR
1130 Rodriguez,Alexander La Salle HS 3B HS
1158 Monroe, Grant Schaumburg HS RHP HS
1186 Jones, Roderick Chamblee HS CF HS
1213 King, Austin Gallia Academy 2B HS
1239 Shines, Devon Westwood HS 1B HS
1265 Jones, Michael Arizona St U CF JR
1291 Vargas, Baldwin New Jersey City U RHP JR
1317 Grim, John John Hersey HS 1B HS
1342 Morales, Ronald Wichita St U LHP SR

http://whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070616&content_id=2030323&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/downloads/y2007/draftpicks_07signings.pdf

Britt Burns
06-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Hunt and Jones have signed as well. So has Oney Guillen!

Fungo
06-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Hunt and Jones have signed as well. So has Oney Guillen!Updated, thanks. I read Hunt was close, but nothing official according to this...

http://www.gftribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070616/SPORTS/706160320/1006

jabrch
06-18-2007, 03:09 PM
So has Oney Guillen!

Shocker!

FedEx227
06-18-2007, 03:13 PM
Wonder if Razor Shines' son will sign as well.

Why are we throwing away potentially decent draft picks to draft Oney Guillen?!

California Sox
06-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Why are we throwing away potentially decent draft picks to draft Oney Guillen?!

You have answered your own question.

Nellie_Fox
06-19-2007, 01:58 AM
You'll notice Devon Shines on there as well. It's a long-standing baseball thing to draft kids as favors when you get deep in the draft, because so few of those picks ever make it past rookie ball. Lip would probably remember, but didn't the Sox draft Hemond's daughter late in the draft one year?

And of course, there was always Tommy LaSorda's nephew, who was drafted as a favor...

Fungo
06-19-2007, 09:54 AM
You'll notice Devon Shines on there as well. It's a long-standing baseball thing to draft kids as favors when you get deep in the draft, because so few of those picks ever make it past rookie ball. Lip would probably remember, but didn't the Sox draft Hemond's daughter late in the draft one year?

And of course, there was always Tommy LaSorda's nephew, who was drafted as a favor...It was Ron Schuler's daughter, I can't remember the year though. You are right too, teams draft kids as favors all the time. I remember a year or 2 ago they drafted Dennis Guest, son of Denny Guest who's Dodge Dealer was a huge sponsor on the radio or TV during the games.

UserNameBlank
06-19-2007, 04:00 PM
I had a bad dream the other night that Nevin Griffith didn't sign and then ended up pitching lights out for the Twins. I hope he signs soon.

Fungo
06-26-2007, 01:09 PM
According to the Tribune...

The Sox signed Miami of Ohio pitcher John Ely, their third-round draft pick earlier this month. Ely, a Homewood-Flossmoor High School graduate, and his family were guests of the Sox at Sunday's game.

The master list has been updated to reflect this.

ozzie is god
06-26-2007, 07:11 PM
That's why the Sox are were they are. KW drafted his kid two years ago. Why waste draft picks???

rdivaldi
06-26-2007, 09:06 PM
That's why the Sox are were they are. KW drafted his kid two years ago. Why waste draft picks???

While I know it sounds silly to the outsider, but it's extremely rare for a player taken in the last few rounds to make it to the big leagues. The reason the Sox are where they are has absolutely zilch to do with taking people's sons (and daughters) in the 36th round of the draft.

Fungo
06-26-2007, 10:50 PM
While I know it sounds silly to the outsider, but it's extremely rare for a player taken in the last few rounds to make it to the big leagues. The reason the Sox are where they are has absolutely zilch to do with taking people's sons (and daughters) in the 36th round of the draft.I absolutely agree that there isn't much to be found that late in the draft, but to someone who doesn't follow the minors or the draft has to look at what our system has produced lately and are left scratching their heads when we pass on the final five rounds and also see that 3 of our picks are sons of people within the organization. Larry Monroe's son was the one that surprised me especially after seeing Baseball America's write-up on him...
Righthander Grant Monroe is the son of White Sox director of major league scouting Larry Monroe, was was the eighth overall pick in the June 1974 draft and pitched briefly in the majors. Grant, who missed much of his junior season after injuring his shoulder in the state basketball playoffs, is a 6-foot-4, 205-pounder with a high-80s fastball and a feel for three pitches. He isn't expect to sign because he has a scholarship from Duke.
Then why even bother??

Fungo
07-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Sox signed their second rounder, Nevin Griffith...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070705&content_id=2069314&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

The White Sox signed RHP Nevin Griffith, the team's second-round Draft pick. He reported to Advanced Rookie Bristol Thursday. He was 7-2 with a 0.92 ERA for Middleton High School in Tampa.

Also a couple of Non-drafted free agent signings...

RHP Adam Bowling (NDFA, Georgia State)
2B Joe Persichina (NDFA, Arizona State)
3B C.J. Retherford (NDFA, Arizona State)

jabrch
07-06-2007, 10:05 AM
While I know it sounds silly to the outsider, but it's extremely rare for a player taken in the last few rounds to make it to the big leagues. The reason the Sox are where they are has absolutely zilch to do with taking people's sons (and daughters) in the 36th round of the draft.

Or drafting guys who are 99% sure to go to school, or passing at the end of the draft because there is nothing there that you want.

Bottom draft picks are exactly that.