PDA

View Full Version : The MLB Draft Sucks

UserNameBlank
06-07-2007, 09:34 AM
Take a look at this (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2007/index.jsp?content=order):

First Round
1. Tampa Bay Devil Rays
2. Kansas City Royals
3. Chicago Cubs
4. Pittsburgh Pirates
5. Baltimore Orioles
6. Washington Nationals
7. Milwaukee Brewers
8. Colorado Rockies
9. Arizona Diamondbacks
10. San Francisco Giants
11. Seattle Mariners
12. Florida Marlins
13. Cleveland Indians
14. Atlanta Braves
15. Cincinnati Reds
16. Toronto Blue Jays (from Rangers for type A Catalanotto)
17. Texas Rangers (from Astros for type A Lee)
18. St. Louis Cardinals
19. Philadelphia Phillies
20. Los Angeles Dodgers (from Red Sox for type A Lugo)
21. Toronto Blue Jays
22. San Francisco Giants (from Dodgers for type A Schmidt)
23. San Diego Padres
24. Texas Rangers (from Angels for type A Matthews)
25. Chicago White Sox
26. Oakland A's
27. Detroit Tigers
28. Minnesota Twins
29. San Francisco Giants (from Mets for type A Alou)
30. New York Yankees

The Rangers lose their 16th pick because some idiots apparently consider Frank Catalanotto a Type A FA. Yet the Cubs sign the best hitter in the market in Soriano, keep their no. 3 overall, and give up their no. 31 to the Nats. What a crock.

IMO, there needs to be a better system. Maybe something where every team gets a pick in the first round based on their record, with the top 10 or so teams being involved in some type of lottery like the NBA draft. Then there should be a second round which is nothing but a supplemental round where only teams who lose REAL Type A free agents get a pick, and it is ranked by the quality of the player lost, not record. Then there should be another round entirely for supplemental picks from Type B free agents that comes later, like after the 3rd or 4th round or so where picks are determined by quality of the player lost instead of team record.

Edit: I also see the Blue Jays get no. 45 pick overall for Catalanotto in addition to the no. 16. What a ****ing joke. One year from now when picks are eligible to be traded, Catalanotto probably isn't worth either of these picks, much less both.
In short, the MLB draft sucks it mean.

Hitmen77
06-07-2007, 10:41 AM
How did the Cubs sign Soriano and Ted Lilly and not lose a draft pick.:?:

Scottiehaswheels
06-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Because of a rule that they are in the bottom 5 in records from last year I believe.... I think they need to start a composite draft... last years record is only a portion, then like a 3 year composite portion and a 10 year composite portion... that should be the draft order...

Mr. White Sox
06-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Yeah, this is confusing. I never understood the "Type A/Type B" designations...could someone enlighten me?

EDIT:
Just followed that link...so an arbitrary statistical system set up by a third party designates "A/B" designations? I'd like to see their stat system as well as how those players rank...because Chad Bradford as a Type A is ridiculous, as are Frank Catalanotto, Justin Speier, and Woody Williams

champagne030
06-07-2007, 12:07 PM
Take a look at this (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2007/index.jsp?content=order):

The Rangers lose their 16th pick because some idiots apparently consider Frank Catalanotto a Type A FA. Yet the Cubs sign the best hitter in the market in Soriano, keep their no. 3 overall, and give up their no. 31 to the Nats. What a crock.

IMO, there needs to be a better system. Maybe something where every team gets a pick in the first round based on their record, with the top 10 or so teams being involved in some type of lottery like the NBA draft. Then there should be a second round which is nothing but a supplemental round where only teams who lose REAL Type A free agents get a pick, and it is ranked by the quality of the player lost, not record. Then there should be another round entirely for supplemental picks from Type B free agents that comes later, like after the 3rd or 4th round or so where picks are determined by quality of the player lost instead of team record.

Edit: I also see the Blue Jays get no. 45 pick overall for Catalanotto in addition to the no. 16. What a ****ing joke. One year from now when picks are eligible to be traded, Catalanotto probably isn't worth either of these picks, much less both.
In short, the MLB draft sucks it mean.

The Flubs keep their #3 pick because they finished in the bottom half of teams last season. Instead, teams above picking in the top 15 forfeit their 2nd round pick. The Flubs also get a sandwich pick for Pierre.

California Sox
06-07-2007, 04:26 PM
The owners wanted to get rid of the compensation system but the union wouldn't let them. It is the only thing that legally allows the union from blocking an airtight slotting system for the draft. The agents have a lot of power with the union and the agents make a ton of money because baseball slotting are "suggestions."

You think you're mad now, consider how you'll feel when you realize that they Sox essentially don't have a second round pick because there are so many compensation choices that they don't pick again until number 89.

CleeFan101
06-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Yeah I think baseball needs to definitely changing the way the draft is done. Get rid of compensation except for teams that couldnt sign first rounders from last year. Like in the first 3 rounds have a compensation round for teams that couldnt sign their pick from last year in that round. Than get rid of the losing picks for signing f/a's, teams shouldnt be penalized for wanting to improve their team thats ridiculous. Finally make the baseball draft similar to the NBA one in that players are only allowed to get paid so much and open up trading of the picks.