PDA

View Full Version : Cy Acosta June 20, 1973

MISoxfan
06-06-2007, 09:54 PM
I remember reading (I think it was in a This Date in Sox History, but after searching the latest one from 6-20 there was nothing on it) about Cy Acosta batting for the Sox and being the first pitcher to hit in the DH era. I'm curious if anyone knows what led to his at-bat?

Lip Man 1
06-07-2007, 12:49 AM
Chuck Tanner removed Dick Allen from the game in the 8th inning after the Sox broke it open off Nolan Ryan. He also brought in Hank Allen and moved Tony Muser from DH to first base.

When he moved Muser he 'gave up' for want of a better word the right to use a DH so Acosta basically went in for Dick Allen in the batting order and his turn came up in the last of the 8th. Cy struck out by the way.

Lip

Chez
06-07-2007, 08:50 AM
I was there -- and have the scorecard to prove it! There was a paragraph write-up in Sports Illustrated the next week reporting that Acosta was the first pitcher to bat since the advent of the DH.

MISoxfan
06-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Thanks a lot. I almost just sent you a PM instead of starting a thread, but I thought I'd give someone else the chance to show off :D:.