PDA

View Full Version : Na-Na Hey-Hey.......Goodbye?

paciorek1983
06-06-2007, 05:39 PM
As I mentioned in a previous thread, how many have noticed that Na-Na Hey Hey is almost non-existent at the ballpark nowadays? We know they play it when Nancy is there, but that's on a very limited basis. So what about the 70+ times a year?

It has been a tradition for 30 years, and it has almost been completely thrown away. How hard is it for the dj to press a button and play a recording of it at the appropriate times?(pitching change, home run, win)

It seems so simple to me, and that's why it burns me so much that they don't do it. How can our song just be ripped out of existence?

Anyone notice how boring it is after an opposing pitcher change? No rally type feel?

With the exposure and attendance the Sox get after winning the World Series, it seems to be a huge blunder to not showcase this musical gem.

The whole thing is truly sickening to me.:angry:

How does everyone else feel?

kiddeft
06-06-2007, 05:45 PM
What I would LOVE is if fans came up with an original 'chant' for the team. Kinda like soccer hooligans. Wouldn't that be an awesome form of devotion? Something you chant to get fired up.

If you ever seen the movie Green Street Hooligans, you'd know what I was talking about.

KRS1
06-06-2007, 05:46 PM
What I would LOVE is if fans came up with an original 'chant' for the team. Kinda like soccer hooligans. Wouldn't that be an awesome form of devotion? Something you chant to get fired up.

If you ever seen the movie Green Street Hooligans, you'd know what I was talking about.

"Quack, quack, quack, quack..."

Oh wait, that's already taken.

It's Dankerific
06-06-2007, 06:21 PM
The thing we need to do, is in unison, sing it ourselves if the DJ wont play it.
Living away from Chicago, my last games were last year, but if it aint being played, i'll sing it myself this weekend at the games.

JorgeFabregas
06-06-2007, 06:26 PM
How many times have the White Sox authoritatively knocked the pitcher out of the game? A few, but not all that many.

JB98
06-06-2007, 06:30 PM
How many times have the White Sox authoritatively knocked the pitcher out of the game? A few, but not all that many.

That's an interesting question. Colby Lewis got his ass kicked. Out of the nine games I've attended, I've only see one opposing pitcher get whacked. That would be Kevin Millwood. Slim pickings.

We have the lowest home batting average of any team in the league.

kiddeft
06-06-2007, 06:35 PM
What about chanting the 'Let's Go Go Go White Sox' song? Is that a little too dated?

We need a fight song like Bear Down!

alohafri
06-06-2007, 07:03 PM
What about chanting the 'Let's Go Go Go White Sox' song? Is that a little too dated?

Um, aren't they from the same era?

skobabe8
06-06-2007, 07:06 PM
The sox are really blowing it in this area with Nancy as a whole. Its depressing.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-06-2007, 07:51 PM
I don't think the Reinsdorf-era management team has ever been too enthralled with anything that smacks of embarrassing the opposition. The scoreboard has been toned down and nothing has been done to replace Nancy's organ taunts when she isn't working.

Needless to say, I'm in favor of the Sox having the biggest and most outrageous scoreboard in the entire world of sports. I'm also in favor of taunting the opposition at every opportunity (provided it is humorous and done in good taste) and I'm not afraid to hurt some feelings by making great once again what used to make Sox Park such a great place to see a game.

:cool:

Frontman
06-06-2007, 07:57 PM
We had "na Na na na" last year. Hell, I remembered the Cubs/Sox game clearly when we shelled Maddux off the mound, as my Mom didn't remember that we did that. I started singing it on the couch when watching that game at home and you could clearly hear it from the crowd.

My Mom commented that "Has always been done?"

"Far as I can remember Mom. Grandpa taught me to sing it at the games in the 70's."

"Man, if I was that guy, I'd be bugged."

Yeah Mom, that's the point.

We need to keep this tradition alive. We got "Go Go White Sox" for a rally, we need to keep "Hey Hey Hey, Goodbye" going.

Anyone got a copy of this on CD? We need to start sending copies down to the Cell, maybe they'll get the idea.

:D:

FARMEO
06-06-2007, 08:51 PM
I thought R-O-W-D-Y was the new official fight song since I hear it all the time.

StillMissOzzie
06-06-2007, 09:56 PM
I thought R-O-W-D-Y was the new official fight song since I hear it all the time.

:tealtutor:

And it's spelled r-o-w-d-i-e, too!

SMO
:gulp:

WhiteSox5187
06-06-2007, 10:23 PM
It should be kept up, but as someone mentioned that is not a Reisendorf idea, it was developed under Veeck and I think that Reisendorf is not big on traditions...also as other people have pointed out, we haven't really knocked out a whole lot of pitchers this year. But that should definately stay.

chitownhawkfan
06-06-2007, 10:44 PM
It probably just seems that way because our offense blows.

thomas35forever
06-06-2007, 11:03 PM
The recording of "Na Na Hey Hey" is a little fast. It doesn't have the slow steady feel that includes the first few notes of "Charge." We should just have Nancy record the version we're used to.

DumpJerry
06-06-2007, 11:09 PM
We do na-na when one of our players hits a home run or we rock the opposing pitcher.

Niether event has happened since Podsednik sent one over the right-center fence in October, 2005.:angry:

paciorek1983
06-06-2007, 11:44 PM
We do na-na when one of our players hits a home run or we rock the opposing pitcher.

Niether event has happened since Podsednik sent one over the right-center fence in October, 2005.:angry:

are you sure? I don't remember hearing when i was at games last year. And it has always been very distinct on tv and i certainly haven't heard it at all after a home run this year.(not that we're hitting that many anyway)

Frontman
06-07-2007, 08:53 AM

"Go Go White Sox" was from the 1959 WS era. "Bear Down" is listed as being introduced in 1941.

Either way, that's Chicago fan pride, and neither are "dated."

Heck, when they start playing "Go Go White Sox" at the Cell, no matter how far down they are, I get excited, as many times, that song has been connected with some magical moments, the first in recent times would of been:

:walkoff:

"Yeah, I hit it. So what, no biggie. Time to annoy someone."

And Bear down, whenever I hear it now, I think of that last second field goal by Robbie Gould this year in the playoffs, as well as the following game, I forget who Rex Grossman passed to for a TD, but when they were showing the replay, you heard the entire crowd at Soldier Field just roaring that song out. That crowd was pumped, and the Bears season was something special to watch.

ewokpelts
06-07-2007, 09:14 AM
The recording of "Na Na Hey Hey" is a little fast. It doesn't have the slow steady feel that includes the first few notes of "Charge." We should just have Nancy record the version we're used to.i prefer the taped version now...nancy takes too damm long when she does it live.

DumpJerry
06-07-2007, 09:24 AM
i prefer the taped version now...nancy takes too damm long when she does it live.
:rolleyes: What? You have an appointment or something?

MeteorsSox4367
06-07-2007, 09:44 AM
I remember when Matt Clement was taken out of the playoff game against Boston and how loud the crowd was singing "Na...Na" and the goosebumps I had from singing along with everyone.

That song is a huge part of Sox tradition. It's one of the fondest memories I have of becoming a Sox fan as a youngin' back in the '70s. Whether it's on tape or played by Nancy, it MUST be a part of Sox home games.

Maybe we could bring back DJ Joe Stephan (sp?) and have him lead the crowd.

russ99
06-07-2007, 09:53 AM
I think it up to us fans to bring it back, especially since Nancy isn't there to lead us most of the time.

Next time the Sox hit a big homer, come from behind, get a game winner or knock a pitcher out all the fans should just start singing it.

Frontman
06-07-2007, 10:13 AM
:rolleyes: What? You have an appointment or something?

He just wants the Sox batters to get to shellin' on the relief man.

oldcomiskey
06-07-2007, 10:49 AM
maybe they are scared to play it because the Sox have said goodbye to the season?

BainesHOF
06-07-2007, 11:22 AM
1. The song needs to be played regularly.

2. The song needs to be played only when appropriate, i.e. when we rock an opposing pitcher out of a game. Way too many times in recent years it's incomprehensibly been played when an opposing pitcher leaves the game with a comfortable lead. The person in charge of playing the music needs a MUCH better sense of the game.

On a related note, and another poster has recently pointed this out, why in the world does someone in charge of the scoreboard tell the crowd to make noise when one of OUR hitters has two strikes on him? It makes no sense.

kiddeft
06-07-2007, 11:51 AM
My problem with the song is that it's a very typical sports song, just about every team uses/used this song. And also, it sounds very dated. Why not get/create something unique and different. It's an opportunity to start a new tradition for ourselves in this era.

But, if enough people want it regardless of these reasons... okay, I'll allow it.

gobears1987
06-07-2007, 02:28 PM
He just wants the Sox batters to get to shellin' on the relief man.Like that'll happen

kaufsox
06-07-2007, 02:36 PM
My problem with the song is that it's a very typical sports song, just about every team uses/used this song. And also, it sounds very dated. Why not get/create something unique and different. It's an opportunity to start a new tradition for ourselves in this era.

But, if enough people want it regardless of these reasons... okay, I'll allow it.

I've never heard it at another sporting event and it is pretty unique to the Sox, of course it has gone from unique to rare this year.

I like the idea of singing songs and or chants. The major problems to this are 1) we just aren't a singing culture and 2) the scoreboard/sound effects don't allow the crowds to organically come up with stuff. Having said that, "You'll never Walk Alone" fits perfectly for the Sox fan mentality and it would rescue it from those bastards on Merseyside.:D:

skobabe8
06-07-2007, 03:01 PM

Thank god!

ewok--I really like when Nancy plays it slow. The taped version feels rushed. I agree with MeteorSox about being there when Clement got rocked. Nancy starts the first few keys slow, just to get everyones attention and to make sure its really s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d out for the Red Sox.

DumpJerry
06-07-2007, 03:37 PM
I've never heard it at another sporting event and it is pretty unique to the Sox, of course it has gone from unique to rare this year.

I like the idea of singing songs and or chants. The major problems to this are 1) we just aren't a singing culture and 2) the scoreboard/sound effects don't allow the crowds to organically come up with stuff. Having said that, "You'll never Walk Alone" fits perfectly for the Sox fan mentality and it would rescue it from those bastards on Merseyside.:D:
Ok, for those of you who don't know why we soing this song, here is how it got started. For many years at high school basketball games in the south and southwest suburbs (you know, White Sox Country!), the fans would sing it when an opposing player fouled out. Nancy "ported" the culture of White Sox Country to Sox games.

Frontman
06-07-2007, 05:06 PM
I shot an email to Brooks Boyer about it, he replied that he'll pass that along to Game Ops people to see if we can get a recorded version to play during night games.

Keep bringing it up gang. Let's just be polite to Brooks and company when we do. Far too many times, folks online derail their own efforts by insulting the person they're asking their wants from.

And we aren't insulting folks, We're Sox Fans!

ewokpelts
06-08-2007, 12:02 PM
:rolleyes: What? You have an appointment or something?the crowd's fickle..most people chant right after the home run lands or the pitcher's ass is slapped. not 20 seconds later when nancy finally gets into the song.

ewokpelts
06-08-2007, 12:04 PM

But, if enough people want it regardless of these reasons... okay, I'll allow it.take me out to the ballgame and the star spangled banner are played at EVERYPARK (except yankee stadium)...should we replace that too?

kiddeft
06-08-2007, 12:43 PM
take me out to the ballgame and the star spangled banner are played at EVERYPARK (except yankee stadium)...should we replace that too?

Don't be stupid.

tick53
06-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Nancy hasn't had too many opportunities to play Na Na Hey Hey. You can't play it when the opposing manager pulls his pitcher after he blows the Sox away (although, I've heard her do it). I was a Sox fan before the band Steam released that one hit wonder and after forty years and I've gotten a belly full of it. IMO I don't care if I ever hear it again. It wasn't that great of a song to begin with and it never fit into baseball anyway.

Frontman
06-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Don't be stupid.

Says the guy who says songs are dated. Tradition equals dated, my friend. You can't have traditions without it standing the test of time.

This is a part of Southside White Sox baseball tradition.

kevingrt
06-10-2007, 10:43 AM
It got played yesterday. It was very nice to hear. Nancy should play it after todays game, because I don't really want to shell out money to watch this team play until they take their heads out of their arses.

Sox
06-10-2007, 11:49 AM
It's an old tradition, albeit, an old tradition that should never go away. Some people don't like it that's fine. But don't suck the fun out of the song for those of us who enjoy it when it is played.