PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie and Bullpen woes

Railsplitter
06-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Take a look at Ozzie's managerial debut on 4/5/04 at www.retrosheet.org (http://www.retrosheet.org) and you'll see his bull pen woes didn't start this year

06-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Are you making a point to say the bullpen sucked in 2004 also?

Railsplitter
06-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Are you making a point to say the bullpen sucked in 2004 also?

No, just I remember hearing that ninth inning on my car radio.

kevingrt
06-06-2007, 06:23 PM
I'm failing to understand the point to this thread.

kobo
06-06-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm failing to understand the point to this thread.
I think the original poster is trying to point out that the way Ozzie handles the bullpen did not start this year, that he's been handling the pen pretty much the same way since he became manager of the White Sox.

Lip Man 1
06-06-2007, 11:52 PM
But the thing is that Ozzie twice was directly quoted this off season as saying that because Kenny had brought in a number of good arms, he was going to stop or limit the number of situational match-up's.

One of the quotes as I recall went along the lines of, 'guys who start an inning will finish it.'

That didn't last long obviously because the bullpen has imploded and Ozzie has gone back to his 'match-ups.'

Lip

whitesoxfan
06-07-2007, 02:19 AM
I don't care for our pen either, but seriously. You're blaming this start to the season on Ozzie's ability (or inability, whichever you prefer) to manage the 'pen?

I guess it's Ozzie's fault that we're last in every major hitting statistical category in the league. We've scored 3 or fewer runs in 26 games already this season. The bullpen was at least good for the first month. The offense has been awful the whole season. And I know the point he's trying to make. Ozzie does micromanage a little too much. But don't blame that on the reaon we blow right now.