PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 6-7

Lip Man 1
06-06-2007, 11:51 AM
June 7, 1951 - Chicago area native Marv Rotblatt becomes the first pitcher to enter a game while being driven in from the center field bullpen. Rotblatt relieved starter Harry Dorish in the Sox 5 - 0 win over Washington. In the 1960's pitcher’s were brought into the game in golf carts and in 1966, the Sox used a converted snowmobile (sponsored by Nickey Chevrolet) that was fitted with special skies so as to not harm the grass!

June 7, 1965 - Sox 3rd baseman Pete Ward’s appearance on the cover of Sports Illustrated is derailed at literally the last second when Muhammad Ali beats Sonny Liston in the rematch for the heavyweight boxing championship. Ward is sent four test copies of the SI cover that never ran, as a ‘keepsake.’ (You can see the ‘cover that never was’ and read Ward’s comments on this in his interview with White Sox Interactive.com) The caption by the way read, "The New White Sox Power For A Pennant."

June 7, 1974 - During a game against the Red Sox, a fire breaks out at Comiskey Park. It started in the main commissary under the right field stands. Several thousand fans are forced to go on the field for safety reasons but they leave the field in great shape without any damage.

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/images/2004/Ward1.jpg

Lip

WisSoxFan
06-06-2007, 12:23 PM
What ever happened to relievers being driven into the game? When did that practice end? I recall seeing it done into the 80's.

EastCoastSoxFan
06-06-2007, 02:06 PM
What ever happened to relievers being driven into the game? When did that practice end? I recall seeing it done into the 80's.And it made for a good laugh in "Major League" (1989):
Jake: "I need a car and mine's on the other side of the stadium."
Security Guard: "Take the bullpen car."
<< cut to shot of baseball-shaped golf cart puttering up to Jake's ex-wife's apartment >>...

Bucky F. Dent
06-07-2007, 09:12 AM
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]June 7, 1974 - During a game against the Red Sox, a fire breaks out at Comiskey Park. It started in the main commissary under the right field stands. Several thousand fans are forced to go on the field for safety reasons but they leave the field in great shape without any damage.

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/images/2004/Ward1.jpg

Lip

I was at that game. People were having a great time running the bases.