PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Owens Arm

jabrch
06-06-2007, 10:04 AM
I am not sure if yesterday was representative of what he does normally, but from what I saw of Owens yesterday, he doesn't have a major league OF arm. It looked weaker than Pierre's popgun yesterday on a few of his throws.

Anyone see a bit more of him who can confirm or refute that?

julio-cruz
06-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Besides being a late bloomer (due to playing football in college) his arm isn't too hot. Thats why we got him so easily from the Nationals: Alex Escobar trade. There have been previous stories in the Scum Times and Tribune on his arm weakness. I think this was reported around the time that he left Venezuela early during winter baseball. Joey Cora was pretty P.O.'d about it, because he was their coach down there.

jabrch
06-06-2007, 10:39 AM
He looks like he really short arms it.

SBSoxFan
06-06-2007, 10:42 AM
I had always heard that he had a weak arm, but then read a couple days ago that he had been strengthening his shoulder to the point where his throwing was adequate. Adequate for LF maybe!

jdm2662
06-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Johnny Damon's arm is piss poor, and he's lasted for so long. Hell, and I thought Lance Johnson's arm was bad. :o:

06-06-2007, 11:30 AM
If his other skills can outweigh his noodle arm than this won't be that much of a concern.

oeo
06-06-2007, 12:41 PM
He doesn't have a very good arm, but if he can consistently get on base, and steal bags, who cares?

06-06-2007, 12:47 PM
He doesn't have a very good arm, but if he can consistently get on base, and steal bags, who cares?

Very much like Juan Pierre. I'd still take him in a heartbeat over the options we have. Hopefully Owens can mold into that type of player.

eriqjaffe
06-06-2007, 01:19 PM
You know the outfield situation is dire when we hope our prospects develop into guys like Scott Podsednik.

infohawk
06-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Besides being a late bloomer (due to playing football in college) his arm isn't too hot. Thats why we got him so easily from the Nationals: Alex Escobar trade. There have been previous stories in the Scum Times and Tribune on his arm weakness. I think this was reported around the time that he left Venezuela early during winter baseball. Joey Cora was pretty P.O.'d about it, because he was their coach down there.
Well, there just aren't too many 5-tool guys out there. Every player, even good players, have certain skills and lack others. If he can contribute by getting hits, stealing bases, going from first-to-third on singles and running balls down in the outfield, I won't care that he has a "pop-gun" arm and doesn't project to hit with any power.

slobes
06-06-2007, 01:42 PM
On a single to center in yesterday's game, he attempted to throw a runner out at home and the throw was so short that it would have been a perfect throw to second base. It didn't even come close to reaching the mound on a fly.

oeo
06-06-2007, 01:50 PM
You know the outfield situation is dire when we hope our prospects develop into guys like Scott Podsednik.

The only comparison is a bad arm. From what I've seen, he looks better in the outfield than Pods does. He's faster, he's more athletic; if he can get on base consistently he'll be better than Pods. Not that a 2005 version of Scott Podsednik is bad; when your leadoff hitter can get on base and then steal second and third, you put immense pressure on the opponent.