PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6/5/07 Postgame Thread

Viva Medias B's
06-05-2007, 11:29 PM
No real situational hitting = another loss.

JB98
06-05-2007, 11:31 PM
I don't think there's anything to rant and rave about tonight. No questionable moves by Ozzie. No bad umpiring. We just got whipped.

CLR01
I didn't think anyone was going to start this thread.

:puking: Any day now...

salty99
Boo...go gettem tomorrow.

Patrick134
Nice to see the offense coming alive in the 8th and 9th. Good days ahead.

JB98
06-05-2007, 11:32 PM

Teal? That's the offense we've seen all year: Load the bases and settle for one run.

Patrick134
06-05-2007, 11:33 PM
4 of the last 9 games the sox have given up 16 hits 3 times, and 17 tonight. That's not good.

kitekrazy
06-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Sox still can't hit rookies.

tyrath25
06-05-2007, 11:35 PM
Nice to see that we're getting opportunities tonight though. Granted, NYY pithcher nothing to be raving about. Although wasted opportunities are horrible, not getting them is even worse. Hopefully we can convert a little better tomorrow.

GO SOX

ty

TFLEM33
06-05-2007, 11:39 PM
Buehrle had one bad inning and once again our offense couldn't pick him up. While we didn't drive runners in effectively tonight, it was encouraging to see us actually get some hits. It seems to me that Iguchi, Konerko, and Dye may actually be starting to come around. I still have hope that good days could be ahead. Let's get 'em tomorrow night!

fram40
The bullpen showed improvement

Only 2 runs in 3 innings ... better than they have done in a month or so

All thanks to Boone Logan no runs allowed again

MarySwiss
Oh, well....

(cue orchestra)

"The sun'll come out TOMORROW...
Betcher bottom dollar that tomorrow, there'll be sun
Just thinkin' about, tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow...."

Wait! STOP!!! STOP THE MUSIC!!!!

So far, this season sucks. I want a refund.

However...

...I will now go and play "Tom Dooley" on my banjo. Over and over.

Thinking about someone "a hangin' from a wide oak tree" can't help but cheer me up. :(:

DrewSox56
06-05-2007, 11:40 PM

Sox were 10-0 against rookie starters... until tonight.

Yeah, the story seems to get better as the pages turn.

BeviBall!
06-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Lets hope at least the weather is good this summer.

lakeviewsoxfan
06-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Just another poor showing by a .500 ballclub.

Parrothead
06-05-2007, 11:43 PM
:darkclouds: It is never too early to panic.

still looking like a championship team !

rainbow6
06-05-2007, 11:45 PM

Is this supposed to be a joke?

TheOldRoman
06-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Honestly, how ****ing long can Walker keep his job? If he were some guru who has a long history of success, that would be one thing. But Walker doesn't have any such history. He coached a team that won a title in spite of him. His hitters don't walk, pop out a lot, take meatballs over the plate, but chase garbage 2 feet outside. Nobody is doing less with more... hell, nobody is doing less.
Even if he wasn't a bad coach, it would still be time for him to lose his job. There needs to be come mother ****ing accountability. This cannot stand. This hitting is entirely unacceptable. Big changes need to be made, and that is the biggest. How can a hitting coach doing as horrible as him possibly still have a job in June?!

As for the pitching, it sucked. I knew after Buehle gave up the tying hit to the great Miguel Cairo, immediately after getting the lead, that this team wouldn't win. The biggest momentum swing was when Dye stepped up with 2 runners on and 2 out in the 5th. Clipard was on the ropes. Dye watched a hanging breaking ball over the plate for a strike, and weakly grounded out on the next pitch. Buehle exploded in the next inning. I think, much like the bullpen, the pressure of having to be perfect to win got to Buehrle. That doesn't excuse it at all, but it is what it is. We needed a much better effort from him tonight. Horrible game all around.

southsideirish71
06-05-2007, 11:53 PM
87 mph straight fastballs and a change took apart our offense. I cant count the number of missed 87 mph straight fastballs over the middle of the plate.

BTW the Joe Mays low and away takes the sox apart is a fixture with the league now. When this team starts to hit the ball the other way a bit more, is about the time this offense starts to hit. Trying to constantly pull low and away pitches works out the opposing 3rd baseman and SS.

What is with our hitters trying to hit pitches near or at their head. Uribe swung at 2 melon level, and Dye tried to hit one on the Dan Ryan at his neck.

The funniest comment of the night is when Hawk compared the Yankee patience at the plate and said, well this is how the sox are. They are a patient team that works the walk. Later he talked about Screwdrivers. He is getting lit before he does the broadcast is the only answer.

oeo
06-05-2007, 11:56 PM
Could Dye be any worse today? Blegh...

Buehrle wasn't very good, either. He was getting some friendly calls from the umpire early, and once the Yankees complained, he no longer got them...then it fell apart. On the other side, it looked the Yankees got a couple more inches off the plate in the late innings.

JB98
06-05-2007, 11:57 PM
Honestly, how ****ing long can Walker keep his job? If he were some guru who has a long history of success, that would be one thing. But Walker doesn't have any such history. He coached a team that won a title in spite of him. His hitters don't walk, pop out a lot, take meatballs over the plate, but chase garbage 2 feet outside. Nobody is doing less with more... hell, nobody is doing less.
Even if he wasn't a bad coach, it would still be time for him to lose his job. There needs to be come mother ****ing accountability. This cannot stand. This hitting is entirely unacceptable. Big changes need to be made, and that is the biggest. How can a hitting coach doing as horrible as him possibly still have a job in June?!

As for the pitching, it sucked. I knew after Buehle gave up the tying hit to the great Miguel Cairo, immediately after getting the lead, that this team wouldn't win. The biggest momentum swing was when Dye stepped up with 2 runners on and 2 out in the 5th. Clipard was on the ropes. Dye watched a hanging breaking ball over the plate for a strike, and weakly grounded out on the next pitch. Buehle exploded in the next inning. I think, much like the bullpen, the pressure of having to be perfect to win got to Buehrle. That doesn't excuse it at all, but it is what it is. We needed a much better effort from him tonight. Horrible game all around.

Brighter days are ahead.

DrewSox56
06-05-2007, 11:57 PM

Perfect recap.

*Edit - Bright side: MacDougal is gone. It'd have 10-2 if he were still here.

TheOldRoman
06-06-2007, 12:03 AM
Perfect recap.

*Edit - Bright side: MacDougal is gone. It'd have 10-2 if he were still here.
I did think at the end of the game - we have some progress. For the last couple of weeks, our bullpen explosion always resulted in 10 runs for the other team. Our bullpen held the Yankees to a respectable 7 runs today. Of those, the bullpen only gave up 2.

I honestly expected to hear on Monday when I got home from work that Walker had been fired. How can this **** go on? How much lower can we go?

IlliniSox4Life
06-06-2007, 12:04 AM
*sigh*

that's all.

JB98
06-06-2007, 12:05 AM
I did think at the end of the game - we have some progress. For the last couple of weeks, our bullpen explosion always resulted in 10 runs for the other team. Our bullpen held the Yankees to a respectable 7 runs today.

I honestly expected to hear on Monday when I got home from work that Walker had been fired. How can this **** go on? How much lower can we go?

These hitters have blown goats since last July. I'm officially on your bandwagon. Something has to be done. The hitting with RISP is horrendous.

TomBradley72
06-06-2007, 12:10 AM
I was at the game tonight....based on all the empty seats for a June game against the Yankees and the corpseball on the field...for me this was the official, 100% ending of any remaining magic/hope left over from 2005. We were completely back to the 2001-2002 White Sox....can anyone remember when we looked this bad this early in the season?

Not one hitter hitting above.250, no range on defense, no speed on the bases, no bullpen,....it's going to be a while before we're good again.

DrewSox56
06-06-2007, 12:12 AM
I did think at the end of the game - we have some progress. For the last couple of weeks, our bullpen explosion always resulted in 10 runs for the other team. Our bullpen held the Yankees to a respectable 7 runs today. Of those, the bullpen only gave up 2.

I hated the fire Greg Walker thread when it started, but I admit now something has to happen to shake things up and I think he is a good start (glad I didn't post in that).

We're getting schooled by kids who still haven't outgrown zits for crying out loud... Buehrle blew up bad, though.

JB98
06-06-2007, 12:15 AM
I was at the game tonight....based on all the empty seats for a June game against the Yankees and the corpseball on the field...for me this was the official, 100% ending of any remaining magic/hope left over from 2005. We were completely back to the 2001-2002 White Sox....can anyone remember when we looked this bad this early in the season?

Not one hitter hitting above.250, no range on defense, no speed on the bases, no bullpen,....it's going to be a while before we're good again.

Looking this bad this early in the season? I'll go with 2003.

We have sucked this year. Badly.

Brian26
06-06-2007, 12:26 AM

They hit Matt DeSalvo pretty good last night.

kevingrt
06-06-2007, 12:26 AM

Dye's catch in the 9th and try at home earlier were decent. Not much anything else positive.

oeo
06-06-2007, 12:31 AM

Yes, a June game in which we had April weather. Who wants to go watch ****ty baseball in ****ty weather?

DrewSox56
06-06-2007, 12:32 AM
They hit Matt DeSalvo pretty good last night.

2nd time this year too.

itsnotrequired
06-06-2007, 12:37 AM
It was cold tonight.

Sig update time...

lakeviewsoxfan
06-06-2007, 12:47 AM
Low and Away, Walker needs to go.

IlliniSox4Life
06-06-2007, 12:47 AM
You know what, this team hasn't been performing. EVERYBODY deserves to lose their jobs. You might as well start with Greg Walker and see what happens.

DumpJerry
06-06-2007, 01:05 AM

Come on, Tom, the hot dogs were good tonight.

I would have gotten a hamburger, but these bloody idiots from New York City in my line spent over half an inning trying to decide what to get. I finally left the stand.:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

slobes
06-06-2007, 01:06 AM
I was there tonight as well, and since we lost the lead it never really seemed like we were in it. It seems WSI posters have lost the will to come on here and rant about a sucky loss. There's no energy from the players or even from the fans anymore. Terrible.

Irishsox1
06-06-2007, 01:11 AM
If Owens is going to bat leadoff, he is going to need to learn how to work a walk and get the pitcher to show more pitches. I know this is his 5th game, but at least work the count for the next hitters.

kitekrazy
06-06-2007, 01:12 AM

Didn't the Sox go through quite a few hitting coaches under Manuel?
Maybe it's hard to get guys to change their approach when they've spent their career as a power hitter.

With a team this slow I doubt walks really scare the opposing pitcher. It still takes 2 hits to drive most of them in.

kitekrazy
06-06-2007, 01:14 AM
Brighter days are ahead.

Yep, it will be football season soon.

WhiteSox5187
06-06-2007, 01:32 AM
This team has to get it's act together fast. If we take three out of four from the Yankees then I'll shut up. But we can't keep playing .500 ball. We're eight out. It's time to buckle down and start winning consistently.

whitesoxfan
06-06-2007, 02:02 AM
I was there. First game I've been to this year and the first time I've ever been in a skybox at the Cell. Truly a great experience I had tonight. Then the game played itself out and well, we all know how that turned out.

I wish I could blame Buehrle but I just can't. He can't pitch perfect everytime he's out there and face it, the Yankees do have a pretty good offense. This offense just continues to dissapoint. It's getting extremely frustrating everyday to hope these guys turn it around against crappy pitchers and yet they can't. I don't have much hope for us tomorrow against a pretty good pitcher.

NSSoxFan
06-06-2007, 03:17 AM

Sox fans don't like losing. It doesn't matter if we're playing the Yankees or the Devil Rays.

whitesoxfan
06-06-2007, 03:45 AM
Sox fans don't like losing. It doesn't matter if we're playing the Yankees or the Devil Rays.

It wasn't that empty. The lower deck was pretty full. Not bad for a night when the temps reached the 40's.

I was pretty pissed to see all of those Yankees fans in attendance tonight. That sucked.

Parrothead
06-06-2007, 07:05 AM
Not one hitter hitting above.250, no range on defense, no speed on the bases, no bullpen,.....

Besides that the Sox are doing well.

veeter
06-06-2007, 07:10 AM
I think the thing that bums me out the most, is the station to station thing. And all the big guys do is hit singles. For me the highlight of the night was Owens beating out the grounder in the hole, in the 9th. On Pods' best day he couldn't run nearly that fast. Owen's can, and hopefully will be a major weapon.

Hitmen77
06-06-2007, 09:20 AM
I was there. First game I've been to this year and the first time I've ever been in a skybox at the Cell. Truly a great experience I had tonight. Then the game played itself out and well, we all know how that turned out.

I wish I could blame Buehrle but I just can't. He can't pitch perfect everytime he's out there and face it, the Yankees do have a pretty good offense. This offense just continues to dissapoint. It's getting extremely frustrating everyday to hope these guys turn it around against crappy pitchers and yet they can't. I don't have much hope for us tomorrow against a pretty good pitcher.

Actually, he has a 4.73 ERA in his last 8 starts. He had a great outing in Toronto where the hitting let him down (surprise), but other than that he really hasn't pitched that well of late. Certainly not like an All-Star or someone who is heading towards a huge new contract in the offseason.

itsnotrequired
06-06-2007, 09:30 AM
Actually, he has a 4.73 ERA in his last 8 starts. He had a great outing in Toronto where the hitting let him down (surprise), but other than that he really hasn't pitched that well of late. Certainly not like an All-Star or someone who is heading towards a huge new contract in the offseason.

Yep, not that great. I was just looking at starter stats and Bedard and Guthrie of the Orioles have sub-2.00 ERAs over the last month (1.93 and 1.66, respectively). Their combined line:

3-1, 12 GS, 85.1 IP, 56 H, 17 ER, 18 BB, 73 K

:o:

Mr.1Dog
06-06-2007, 09:58 AM
I think the thing that bums me out the most, is the station to station thing. And all the big guys do is hit singles. For me the highlight of the night was Owens beating out the grounder in the hole, in the 9th. On Pods' best day he couldn't run nearly that fast. Owen's can, and hopefully will be a major weapon.

That was sweet. It was also a nice sight in the 4th when Dye got to 3rd after AJ grounded out. It was nice to see some hustle from the big man which led to our first run.

The Immigrant
06-06-2007, 10:14 AM
And all the big guys do is hit singles.

The Yankees' approach at the plate was refreshing to see. They kept poking Buehrle's off-speed pitches the opposite way or up the middle, and several of their hits were doubles down the line. Our lineup, on the other hand, tries to pull everything in sight. It's hard to move a runner from first to third when all we hit are singles to left field.

Chicken Dinner
06-06-2007, 11:13 AM
The only bright side to that game was that the Yanks only got 7 runs on 17 hits. 17 hits is usually good for 12 or 13.:mad:

chisoxfanatic
06-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Why can't we have comebacks like Toronto last night? This offense has to get their acts together SOON, or Walker must be fired! I'd be pissed if I were the starting rotation. What a brutal game to go to. Fortunately there was still a good time to be had due to the wonderful season ticket holders around me.

soxfan13
06-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Why can't we have comebacks like Toronto last night? This offense has to get their acts together SOON, or Walker must be fired! I'd be pissed if I were the starting rotation. What a brutal game to go to. Fortunately there was still a good time to be had due to the wonderful season ticket holders around me.

Who they gonna be more pissed at? the offense or the bullpen that has blown a hefty number of leads

Chicken Dinner
06-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Who they gonna be more pissed at? the offense or the bullpen that has blown a hefty number of leads

Offense!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/stats/byteam?cat=Overall&cut_type=0&conference=MLB&year=season_2007&sort=703

oeo
06-06-2007, 12:14 PM

The offense has been MIA all year, the bullpen just became a problem a few weeks ago...we stand where we do because of our offense, not the bullpen.

slobes
06-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Offense!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/stats/byteam?cat=Overall&cut_type=0&conference=MLB&year=season_2007&sort=703

Batting .234 as a team is so unbelievable bad I can't even believe it. I knew the offense sucked but only when using numbers and comparing to other sucky teams do you realize the severity of the situation.

SBSoxFan
06-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Batting .234 as a team is so unbelievable bad I can't even believe it. I knew the offense sucked but only when using numbers and comparing to other sucky teams do you realize the severity of the situation.

When exactly did you know this, and why didn't you tell KW?

hawkjt
06-06-2007, 03:40 PM
simply did not have the heart to get out on this thread last nite..I love the sox but they have to be the least entertaining team in baseball to this point; obviously, I like offense a little more than defense and pitching in terms of entertainment value.. even our power guys hitting .220 cannot hit homers now.. mack and big jim are the only homers that I can even remember..

even the worst teams explode for double digit runs once in a while.. sox can get the quietest 9 hits ever... like one single with two outs for nine straight innings.. kenny has to be just nuts over how his offense laden team on paper is the worst in baseball.. thats baseball, I guess:mad:

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-06-2007, 03:48 PM
:angry: Our Offense is 2nd to last on the road and dead last at home in terms of BA. This sucks!

06-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Offense!

Disgusting! What makes it worse is how far away from 2nd to last we are.

downstairs
06-06-2007, 03:58 PM

2008?

downstairs
06-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Disgusting! What makes it worse is how far away from 2nd to last we are.

Nah...

If we get 55 hits in the next two games, and the Cards suffer two straight no-hitters against them..... we'd be tied for 2nd place!

Be an optimist, my man!