PDA

View Full Version : Youtube videos

WhiteSoxJunkie
06-05-2007, 03:05 PM
I found this video on youtube about the 1977 White Sox. I remember seeing this video on WGN during a rain delay once.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbobPEW4bB0

I also found this video. It isn't a Sox video, but rather it's a game between the Bears and Cardinals at Comiskey Park from 1929.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SitUbhD_sw0

LITTLE NELL
06-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Sox fan since 1953, that 77 season was almost as good as 59 and 05. I tore my ACL that year and went to a lot of games because I could not work. What great memories, that KC series was unbelievable. If we would have only won that 2nd game of Sunday DH, I think KC would have folded but KC won and it gave them some momentem.

WhiteSox5187
06-05-2007, 05:49 PM
My dad worked for Mr. Veeck and the Sox in 1977 and he has told me that 1977 was the most fun he ever had at the ballpark. He loves that team and he says "I don't know why, they weren't that good. I knew they weren't that good, but I loved 'em. And I hated KC, oh how I hated KC!" It sounds like a fun year, ten years before I was born...If he we had some half way descent pitching, we might have caught them that year too.

michned
06-05-2007, 06:10 PM
I'll never forget Hal McRae running around the bases tipping his cap like he was Babe Ruth. But he got in the Sox's heads. They didn't seem like they were having any fun after that.

Lip Man 1
06-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Read the WSI interviews with guys like Eric Soderholm, Wilbur Wood and Chet Lemon for more on that team and season.

Lip

Noneck
06-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Too bad the highlights didn't include the Harry and Jimmy calls. Oooops , I forgot that segment was produced by Wgn and in their eyes Harry didn't exist till the Cubs.

paciorek1983
06-05-2007, 07:41 PM
What sickens me about watching that video is:

1. Our current scoreboard blows compared to the one in '77.:(:

2. It seems as though the tradition of "Na Na, Hey Hey" is..good-bye.:angry:
(this one really burns me !!)

wassagstdu
06-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Sox fan since 1953, that 77 season was almost as good as 59 and 05. I tore my ACL that year and went to a lot of games because I could not work. What great memories, that KC series was unbelievable. If we would have only won that 2nd game of Sunday DH, I think KC would have folded but KC won and it gave them some momentem.

Hey, I was at that DH too! The first game was really something. The place was electrified. Only thing like it I have seen was AJ's walkoff against the Dodgers in 2005. But the second game let the air out of the balloon and you could just feel the momentum switch.

tebman
06-05-2007, 09:00 PM
What a season that was! It was one long party at the old park that summer. The funny thing is that everybody, including the players, knew that the team wasn't good enough to go all the way. But somehow everybody, including the players, were just so happy to be there. Don't know why, but everything just clicked.

There was incredible buzz in the park that year. It reminded me of one of those old 1930s cartoons where finger-poppin' music is playing and the buildings and people are all throbbing in rhythm. Man, what a great time.

Don't get me wrong -- winning the Series was the best, but 1977 is right behind it for sheer fun. :wooty:

Frontman
06-05-2007, 10:15 PM

I was channel flipping last night and came across that John Candy flick that had him on a date in Old Comiskey. I think the new board is fine, its just that it doesn't have the seats flanking it as closely as in the old park.

2. I fully agree with this. We need to keep on Brooks to get that on the stadium playlist. That is also a part of Chicago Baseball tradition.

kitekrazy
06-05-2007, 11:17 PM
I still miss the old park. There were no cheap homers there. Those also have to be the ugliest uniforms in sports history.

Sox
06-05-2007, 11:21 PM
Watching the video of the 1977 Sox team brings back fond memories for me. Chet Lemon, Jorge Orta, Richie Zisk.....wow. THat was so great and the Bill Veek unis I wasn't fond of at first but then they kind of grew on me. Love the White Sox.

Nellie_Fox
06-06-2007, 12:52 AM
Those also have to be the ugliest uniforms in sports history.They aren't even in the running with some of the polyester nightmares MLB trotted out in the 70's.

DSpivack
06-06-2007, 12:56 AM
They aren't even in the running with some of the polyester nightmares MLB trotted out in the 70's.

While the shorts are infamous, and the collars a bit odd, the strangest thing to me (being born in 1984) is seeing the White Sox in red.

WhiteSox5187
06-06-2007, 01:35 AM
While the shorts are infamous, and the collars a bit odd, the strangest thing to me (being born in 1984) is seeing the White Sox in red.
Being born in 1987, I agree. The all red jerseys were not very good. The Veeck unis have grown on me over time, but they certainly aren't my favorites. But compared the all orange Orioles uniform or the Phillies all maroon one, the Veeck unis aren't so bad.

tebman
06-06-2007, 11:58 AM

We've carped about this before (remember Hangar's threads about the new board being short one pinwheel?), but I think too that the Sox have been missing a bet for a long time with the current tame scoreboard. Veeck's original board was wonderfully goofy when it lit up: bright lights chasing all directions, strobes going off randomly on its face, roman candles popping out of the top while the big fireworks lit up the sky, and all the while bizarre sound effects (dive bombers, Hallelujah Chorus, etc.) blasting out of those PA horns in center field. Technology has come a long way in the last four decades -- there's no limit to the hellzapoppin' stuff that could be done now.

As for "Na Na, Hey Hey," I don't get it. I know Nancy only works day games now, but it doesn't mean a recording can't be played at the last out of a winning game.

HerzogVon
06-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Read the WSI interviews with guys like Eric Soderholm, Wilbur Wood and Chet Lemon for more on that team and season.

Lip

Did you notice that Eric mentioned "chemistry" in referring to the Sox success that year? See, stat and factoid heads, it's NOT a dirty word! It was part of our total victory in 2005, and it hasn't been seen around these parts since.

SBSoxFan
06-06-2007, 02:08 PM
As for "Na Na, Hey Hey," I don't get it. I know Nancy only works day games now, but it doesn't mean a recording can't be played at the last out of a winning game.

Have they stopped doing it when the opposition changes pitchers too? :?:

ewokpelts
06-06-2007, 02:24 PM
Have they stopped doing it when the opposition changes pitchers too? :?:ask the dj..

paciorek1983
06-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Have they stopped doing it when the opposition changes pitchers too? :?:

Yes. They have deleted it from the scene entirely unless Nancy is there.

It is absolutley ridiculous. It's obvious the dj isn't a true Sox fan or this wouldn't be happening. There is no other explanation for it. How can one of the traditions that is so tightly tied to the White Sox be thrown away. It's sickening. Every time I think about it I get so upset. with all the other taped crap they play, they can't hit a button to play na-na??:angry:

It is time we started doing something about it. We all know Nancy is not going to play any more night games, which are the bulk of the schedule. and hey if she just wants to do day games that's fine. But they should be playing a recording of na na hey hey at the same moments she used to play them. It doesn't take a genius to do that. bboyer@chisox.com:angry:

Chez
06-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Alan Bannister commited 40 (!) errors at shortstop in '77 and Jorge Orta committed 19 errors at second. Amazing that the Southside Hitmen hung in there through August.

Hitmen77
06-07-2007, 11:07 AM
I found this video on youtube about the 1977 White Sox. I remember seeing this video on WGN during a rain delay once.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbobPEW4bB0

I also found this video. It isn't a Sox video, but rather it's a game between the Bears and Cardinals at Comiskey Park from 1929.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SitUbhD_sw0

That 2nd link has amazing film of Comiskey Park in 1929 - 48 years before the South Side Hitmen season. That must be about 2 years after the upper deck was built. From the youtube site, it sounds like that was from someone's grandfather's home movies.