PDA

View Full Version : Twins Cooling Off

Foulke You
06-05-2007, 02:35 PM
16-3 shallacking at the hands of the Angels last night. They have now lost 3 of their last 4 games since the Sox series. So much for A.J.'s "malicious spike" of Morneau providing the spark to a huge Twins run. Such a shame. :cool:

oeo
06-05-2007, 02:44 PM
16-3 shallacking at the hands of the Angels last night. They have now lost 3 of their last 4 games since the Sox series. So much for A.J.'s "malicious spike" of Morneau providing the spark to a huge Twins run. Such a shame. :cool:

The Twins just ran into a team that was colder than themselves.

10 of those runs came against their bullpen.

Irishsox1
06-05-2007, 04:04 PM
As long as Hunter is healthy, the Twins will get hot again.

Lip Man 1
06-05-2007, 04:17 PM
I think the Twins have had three of their relief pitchers go on the DL in the past few weeks.

Lip

DumpJerry
06-05-2007, 04:21 PM
Don't worry, they play us four times in 3 1/2 weeks.:angry:

Patrick134
06-05-2007, 05:16 PM
As long as Hunter is healthy, the Twins will get hot again.

Bull, he's not that good.

sox1970
06-05-2007, 05:25 PM

I'd put him up there with Pujols.

Flight #24
06-05-2007, 05:46 PM
IMO if the Twins pulled 9 guys off one of their lakes and suited them up, I have a feeling that not only would they win, but they'd play flawless D and manufacture runs against the Sox.

Foulke You
06-05-2007, 05:51 PM
I think the Twins have had three of their relief pitchers go on the DL in the past few weeks.

Lip
Jesse Crain has been put on the 60 day DL and Dennys Reyes has been on the 15 day DL since 5/24 so he should be coming off soon.

oeo
06-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Jesse Crain has been put on the 60 day DL and Dennys Reyes has been on the 15 day DL since 5/24 so he should be coming off soon.

Good, Dennys Reyes sucks. Talk about a career year last year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=3686

veeter
06-05-2007, 06:37 PM
Yeah, the Twins ability is skewed by their play against the Sox. I don't think they're that good at all.

JB98
06-05-2007, 06:56 PM
The Twins have more losses this season than the White Sox. And we've already gotten six of the nine games in their hellhole off our schedule.

goon
06-05-2007, 07:03 PM

He's looked pretty awesome this year, he's hitting for power and stealing bases again with his foot being completely healed. His average will come down from where it is, but this is a contract year, expect big production from Hunter.

TDog
06-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Yeah, the Twins ability is skewed by their play against the Sox. I don't think they're that good at all.

The Twins won four of five before they they hosted the Sox. The loss was a 13-inning game against the Blue Jays in which the Twins tied the game with three runs in the bottom of the ninth. The Twins scored one in the 11th to tie after losing the lead. Both Jeremy Accardo and Brian Tallet blew saves in the game before the Blue Jays scored an unanswered two-out run in the top of the 13th. The Twins started Ortiz and used the entire bullpen, came back from two deficits and lost because their bullpen gave up two runs in seven innings. The Blue Jays next took two of three from the Yankees while the Twins were sweeping the White Sox. By all accounts, the Twins were playing good baseball before the Sox came to town. They had won eight of nine before losing the last three.

I loathe the Twins, but there is no question they were playing good baseball before they lost 1-0 and 4-2 in Oakland and were blown out in Anaheim Monday.

MarySwiss
06-05-2007, 08:00 PM
IMO if the Twins pulled 9 guys off one of their lakes and suited them up, I have a feeling that not only would they win, but they'd play flawless D and manufacture runs against the Sox.

Wow! This is eerie, but when I saw the highlight of the run that scored when the catcher dropped the throw from Nick Punto, my first thought was, "Against us, he catches that ball."

Bobby Jenks
06-06-2007, 01:51 AM

Angels always give the twins fits

DumpJerry
06-06-2007, 08:06 AM
He is. Don't let the fact that he plays for a division rival cloud your judgment.

MagicNumber22
06-06-2007, 09:39 AM
I hate to say it, but I think that the Twins' best baseball is in front of them.

They'll be getting a player named MAUER back very soon. He should spark their lineup. They've played .500 ball without him--just imagine what a difference he is going to make.

Though Redmond has done a hell of a job filling in for the kid, inserting Mauer back in the middle of that lineup will make them very dangerous. Now Cuddy and Morneau will have someone to drive in.

They will challenge for the division title. This is going to be a three headed monster between the Twinkies, the Injuns, and the Tiggers.

Scottiehaswheels
06-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Though Redmond has done a hell of a job filling in for the kid, inserting Mauer back in the middle of that lineup will make them very dangerous. Now Cuddy and Morneau will have someone to drive in.
Are you serious? Redmond has been hitting what? .310? how is Mauer's career best .340 something that much of an improvement?

MagicNumber22
06-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Redmond is a career .293 hitter who has provided the Twins with nice fill-in work in the SIXTH hole while Mauer has been gone.

Minny plans on sticking Mauer in the TWO hole when he comes back. A .340 clip with Cuddy and Morneau behind him is certainly an improvement over Nick Punto hitting there at .226.

They're going to score more runs. And they'll always pull decent pitching from guys who are not good. This team is for real.

Scottiehaswheels
06-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Sorry I just don't see how taking out a guy hitting .305, adding a guy that had a career year at .340 something + a pretty ****ty pitching staff= going from average to great? Are they replacing Punto with Redmond? Adding .03, if that, from 1 guy does not make an average team great.

Frontman
06-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Angels always give the twins fits

The Angels give a lot of teams fits. I wouldn't count out the Twins just yet.

MagicNumber22
06-06-2007, 12:13 PM
I don't want to sound like Joe Mauer's mother, but the point is this:

Joe Mauer is very good. Having him in the middle of any lineup can do a lot of things.They can pick up a ton of wins with him hitting second. And he's got one of the most beautiful swings in the game.

Does anyone remember what the Twins did last year with that crappy pitching staff?

Granted they had Liriano, but he was hurt THE ENTIRE SECOND HALF.

Twins 2006:
1. Santana
2. Radke
3. Silva
4. Garza
5. Bonser

Twins 2007:
1. Santana
2. Bonser
3. Baker
4. Silva
5. (Revolving Wheel)

Given the addition of Mauer and counting of the resurgance of Santana down the stretch, this team WILL contend for the division title.

Bobby Jenks
06-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Sorry I just don't see how taking out a guy hitting .305, adding a guy that had a career year at .340 something + a pretty ****ty pitching staff= going from average to great? Are they replacing Punto with Redmond? Adding .03, if that, from 1 guy does not make an average team great.

Because it gives the Twins more flexibility. Now Redmond is available to DH or Mauer for that matter. That means we will probably see a lineup like this

Castillo
Mauer
Morneau
Cuddyer
Hunter
Kubel
Punto
Redmond
Bartlett

Certainly not a power filled lineup,but no slouch either

Nellie_Fox
06-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Because it gives the Twins more flexibility. Now Redmond is available to DH or Mauer for that matter. Unless they Twins are going to carry three catchers, it's unlikely that they'll DH Redmond often. If something happened to Mauer and Redmond then had to go behind the plate, they'd lose the DH for the rest of the game.

Bobby Jenks
06-07-2007, 02:08 AM
Unless they Twins are going to carry three catchers, it's unlikely that they'll DH Redmond often. If something happened to Mauer and Redmond then had to go behind the plate, they'd lose the DH for the rest of the game.

Time will tell. They do have some no-name catcher on their roster right now,but he could be taking Mauer's spot

Grzegorz
06-07-2007, 05:47 AM
I hate to say it, but I think that the Twins' best baseball is in front of them.

I agree with you in total. The Chicago White Sox will make the playoffs by executing and playing solid baseball. Sure we need help to leapfrog teams, but as a whole expecting the teams in front of us to go belly up is not realistic.

The AL Central is the best division in baseball; I do not expect some in this division to emulate their NL Central counterparts.

TwinKess
06-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Well, I hope you guys are right, but I just don't see us contending this year. You certainly couldn't consider us a World Series caliber team with the shambles our starting rotation is in (Although once the playoffs start it is really anybodies to win.)

Hopefully Santana can find his stride. He usually has it by now.

Oh, and asphalt removal for the new stadium has begun (see attachment). Ground breaking in August.