PDA

View Full Version : Our World Series This Year

Steelrod
06-04-2007, 05:03 PM
I'm sorry to say that the three game series at US Cellular against the Cubs is rapidly becoming an only chance for glory in 2007 for BOTH teams.

JB98
06-04-2007, 05:05 PM
I'm sorry to say that the three game series at US Cellular against the Cubs is rapidly becoming an only chance for glory in 2007 for BOTH teams.

Bull****. That Cubs series doesn't mean anything more than this series against the Yankees.

Noneck
06-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Unfortunately but truthfully, With the division the cubs are in, they will be in the hunt for a long time this year. The Sox are in a different situation.

sox1970
No ****ing way.

roadrunner
No dice. Even a three game sweep, while sweet, would not constitute "glory".

DumpJerry
06-04-2007, 05:13 PM
:darkclouds:

FielderJones
06-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Unfortunately but truthfully, With the division the cubs are in, they will be in the hunt for a long time this year.

Um, no. They're not going to catch Milwaukee. The wild card will come out of the East or the West. There's no hunt. The Cubs will be mathematically eliminated long before the Sox are.

TDog
06-04-2007, 05:30 PM

I respect your opinion and can't dispute the fact that even if there are White Sox fans that don't care about the Cubs or consider beating them important, there are many who place the utmost importance in beating the Cubs and consider losing the Cubs the ultimate disgrace. When I was going to Indiana University, a successful football season was defined as one in which IU beat Purdue. Childish, yes, but so is requiring the language filter to express angry opinions about how the White Sox are playing.

I know many Cubs fans place a priority on beating the White Sox.

JB98
06-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Um, no. They're not going to catch Milwaukee. The wild card will come out of the East or the West. There's no hunt. The Cubs will be mathematically eliminated long before the Sox are.

Agree. Weak division or not, they absolutely ****ing suck. They aren't going anywhere.

Tragg
06-04-2007, 08:56 PM
No more interesting to me than any other series.
Not much glory in beating the cubs.

soxwon
06-04-2007, 10:14 PM

Oh come on !! you KNow we're gonna win this thing!!!

ilsox7
06-04-2007, 10:24 PM
I respect your opinion and can't dispute the fact that even if there are White Sox fans that don't care about the Cubs or consider beating them important, there are many who place the utmost importance in beating the Cubs and consider losing the Cubs the ultimate disgrace. When I was going to Indiana University, a successful football season was defined as one in which IU beat Purdue. Childish, yes, but so is requiring the language filter to express angry opinions about how the White Sox are playing.

I know many Cubs fans place a priority on beating the White Sox.

We have a football team?

Hitmen77
06-04-2007, 11:14 PM
Our World Series This Year

"Our" meaning those Sox fans who are Flubsessed.

I hate the Crosstown series. I wouldn't mind if they went back to just one series a year between the two teams.

JB98
06-04-2007, 11:22 PM

I hate the Crosstown series. I wouldn't mind if they went back to just one series a year between the two teams.

I think we should do away with the Crosstown series and play the Yankees more often. :D:

chisoxmike
06-04-2007, 11:36 PM

Dumb.

:threadsucks

:threadblows:

:rowand

areilly
06-05-2007, 12:36 AM
Is beating the Cubs the most important thing in the world? No.

Does it give me, as a Sox fan, endless civic pride and personal satisfaction if they beat the Cubs? Yes. Considerably moreso than, say, beating the Tigers, Twins or Indians? Yes.

Is this stupid? Yes, but no stupider than the entire concept of paying good money to watch grown men play a child's game.

Let people get satisfaction where they find it. Cubbie blue soaked in tears means just as much to me as high-fives between black and silver.

WhiteSox5187
06-05-2007, 01:26 AM

Does it give me, as a Sox fan, endless civic pride and personal satisfaction if they beat the Cubs? Yes. Considerably moreso than, say, beating the Tigers, Twins or Indians? Yes.

Is this stupid? Yes, but no stupider than the entire concept of paying good money to watch grown men play a child's game.

Let people get satisfaction where they find it. Cubbie blue soaked in tears means just as much to me as high-fives between black and silver.
I'd rather get swept by the Cubs and win the division than win the city series and not make the playoffs. Look, this team isn't dead yet. THey need to have a really good homestand (no more than two losses) and with the teams they play, there is no reason why that isn't possible. Our World Series is THE World Series this year and every year. Nothing else comes close.

IlliniSox4Life
06-05-2007, 01:55 AM
Our World Series this year is going to be the World Series.

Book It.

WhiteSox5187
06-05-2007, 02:16 AM

Book It.
God I hope your right.

IlliniSox4Life
06-05-2007, 02:29 AM
God I hope your right.

I am right...

handed.

Rocky Soprano
06-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Dumbest. Thread. Ever.

kittle42
06-05-2007, 10:53 AM
God I hope your right.

Avert your eyes.

sox1970
06-05-2007, 11:06 AM

Book It.

Yes, I believe Bret Prinz, Ryan Bukvich, and Dewon Day are going to lead us to the promised land.

IndianWhiteSox
06-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Yes, I believe Bret Prinz, Ryan Bukvich, and Dewon Day are going to lead us to the promised land.

You say that so sarcastically, but yet you forget that Jenks was a mid-season callup, and Hermanson, Pollite and Cotts were all wonders.

Building a bullpen is a crapshoot, you never know who will be good from one year to the next.

soxfan13
06-05-2007, 11:40 AM
You say that so sarcastically, but yet you forget that Jenks was a mid-season callup, and Hermanson, Pollite and Cotts were all wonders.

Building a bullpen is a crapshoot, you never know who will be good from one year to the next.

So now you are saying that is is a crapshoot?:?: I thought it was the great Coop that could fix everything?

FielderJones
06-05-2007, 12:07 PM
I thought it was the great Coop that could fix everything?

The great Coop can fix arm angle, release point, stride length, anything mechanical. He can't fix the space between the pitchers ears. :cool:

areilly
06-05-2007, 12:20 PM

Book It.

Assuming 95 wins is the limit just to make the playoffs:

Sox must go at least 69-40 (.633)
DET must do no better than 62-44 (.584) / Sox play 14 times
CLE must do no better than 60-47 (.561) / Sox play 12 times
MIN must do no better than 66-40 (.623) / Sox play 10 times
SEA must do no better than 65-43 (.602) / Sox play 6 times
OAK must do no better than 65-41 (.613) / Sox play 0 times

As currently assembled, and looking at the tendency to crap their pants on such a regular basis, there is no way the Sox pulling this off even if the five other teams ahead of the Sox are held back AND no other team in the AL manages to gain ground in the Wild Card race...

...so I take it you plan on jumping on someone else's bandwagon this fall. Some of the borderline psychotic optimism around here is nice and all, but I'll take comfort in small victories all the same.

itsnotrequired
06-05-2007, 12:24 PM

Sox must go at least 69-40 (.633)
DET must do no better than 62-44 (.584) / Sox play 14 times
CLE must do no better than 60-47 (.561) / Sox play 12 times
MIN must do no better than 66-40 (.623) / Sox play 10 times
SEA must do no better than 65-43 (.602) / Sox play 6 times
OAK must do no better than 65-41 (.613) / Sox play 0 times

As currently assembled, and looking at the tendency to crap their pants on such a regular basis, there is no way the Sox pulling this off even if the five other teams ahead of the Sox are held back AND no other team in the AL manages to gain ground in the Wild Card race...

...so I take it you plan on jumping on someone else's bandwagon this fall. Some of the borderline psychotic optimism around here is nice and all, but I'll take comfort in small victories all the same.

It will not take 95 wins to take the division. Book it.

Chisox353014
06-05-2007, 12:50 PM

It really is true. Here we are a season and a half removed from a World Series title and we have exactly ONE player left on the roster who had a relief appearance for the 2005 team (not counting MB's save in Game 3):

Dustin Hermanson
Neal Cotts
Cliff Politte
Damaso Marte
Luis Vizcaino
Bobby Jenks
Orlando Hernandez
Brandon McCarthy
Shingo Takatsu
Jon Adkins
Kevin Walker
Jeff Bajenaru
David Sanders

Almost all of these guys are either out of baseball, in the minors, or mediocre starters somewhere else. It's kind of amazing we won when you look at it this way.

PatK
06-05-2007, 01:25 PM

Same here. I wish at least one of the crosstown series would be replaced with a series with the Brewers. I miss that rivalry.

Personally, I wish interleague play would just end. To many uneven interleague schedules.

WizardsofOzzie
06-05-2007, 01:56 PM
Dumb.

:threadblows:

:rowand

I'll second that

Hitmen77
06-05-2007, 02:28 PM

Sox must go at least ...
DET must do no better than .... etc.

4.5 games on on June 5 is NOT even close to being insurmountable. The way the Sox have been playing - yes, it would be crazy to think a team that keeps playing like crap has a chance. I think we're all in agreement on that much.

But, saying strictly from a mathematical standpoint that - with 110 or so games to go - that we have to win this improbably amount and they have to lose an improbable amount to make up 4.5 games is a bit premature. Yes, they need to turn it around soon, but I've never heard of a team giving up around Memorial Day because of a 4.5 game deficit.

thomas35forever
06-05-2007, 03:11 PM
:darkclouds:
My thoughts exactly. And those who say the crosstown series is about as big as this Yankees series are right on.

areilly
06-05-2007, 03:21 PM
4.5 games on on June 5 is NOT even close to being insurmountable. The way the Sox have been playing - yes, it would be crazy to think a team that keeps playing like crap has a chance. I think we're all in agreement on that much.

But, saying strictly from a mathematical standpoint that - with 110 or so games to go - that we have to win this improbably amount and they have to lose an improbable amount to make up 4.5 games is a bit premature. Yes, they need to turn it around soon, but I've never heard of a team giving up around Memorial Day because of a 4.5 game deficit.

I think your second statement would be the absolute definition of getting into the playoffs - win as the competition loses - so I fail to see why it's so ridiculous to say the Sox have to play better baseball than at least three other teams...considering they're in 4th place in their division and 5th in the Wild Card standings.

It's only June 5th, but I'm predicting right now that the 2007 White Sox don't make the playoffs. The hitting is awful, the situational plays are non-existent, the bullpen is beyond shaky and doesn't even warrant the niceties of being called a question mark. In short, the offense is not capable of producing, on a consistent basis, more runs than the pitching and defense give up. Simple as that.

But hey, if we beat the Cubs, we can at least say we're not backing the worst team in town. I don't care how deeply anyone here wants to bury their head in the sand on that; it does matter who wins the Crosstown.

jabrch
06-05-2007, 03:44 PM
In short, the offense is not capable of producing, on a consistent basis, more runs than the pitching and defense give up. Simple as that.

That's quite ridiculous. It assumes that we are not "capable" of either hitting better, or pitching better. In short, you are completely and totally wrong.

But hey, if we beat the Cubs, we can at least say we're not backing the worst team in town. I don't care how deeply anyone here wants to bury their head in the sand on that; it does matter who wins the Crosstown.

Who the hell cares? Really, if we sweep them, and we win the year with them, does that make us better than them? Or if we lose 2 of 3, and they win the season series, but they finish 15 games behind in a crappy division while we end up 5 games out of the strongest division in baseball, does that make them better than us?

This series means nothing in the big picture...nothing at all. (other than being 3 more games on the schedule)

jenn2080
06-05-2007, 05:23 PM

southside rocks
06-05-2007, 05:45 PM

So, the team that wins that 3-game series is the better team?

Okay ... and the St. Louis Cardinals were the best team in all of baseball in 2006, huh?

Good gosh, and I thought the off-season was strange around here ... :rolleyes:

areilly
06-05-2007, 06:06 PM
So, the team that wins that 3-game series is the better team?

If the Sox sweep or the Cubs take 2 of 3, yes, because they effectively become the team that takes the season series. Head-to-head is the only real measure we have comparing across leagues.

Sox take 2 of 3 and, well, what can we say except our team is no better than theirs. Perish the thought.

kobo
06-05-2007, 06:31 PM
If the Sox sweep or the Cubs take 2 of 3, yes, because they effectively become the team that takes the season series. Head-to-head is the only real measure we have comparing across leagues.

Sox take 2 of 3 and, well, what can we say except our team is no better than theirs. Perish the thought.
Who cares? Honestly, who really gives a **** anymore if the Sox beat the Cubs in the regular season? If it was the World Series that would be one thing, but this is the regular season we are talking about here. I don't know about anyone else, but the games against the Cubs don't really do it for me anymore.

minutia
06-05-2007, 06:39 PM

This is the kind of comment that makes me hate this crosstown series more and more. I see your point but really who cares anymore? The Sox have won a World Series in recent years and the Cubs have yet to pull that off. In the end, the team who ends up better in the standings and in their own division is the better team and when this is pointed out to fans of the Cubs, they generally just come back with attendance numbers from year to year. A very compelling arguement.

IlliniSox4Life
06-05-2007, 06:56 PM
Some of the borderline psychotic optimism around here is nice and all, but I'll take comfort in small victories all the same.
My optimism was partially a joke, but I fully expect the Sox to make the post season and go on a run. It has absolutely nothing to do with me being in denial. The starting pitching has been here. Pitching wins championships.

I can already say I'm not backing the worst team in town and if they swept us both series this year that wouldn't change anything. What does having the best team of 2 teams really matter anyway?

So right now the Sox are a worse team because we have a 1-2 record against the Cubs.

Everybody come quick, right now the Sox are a worse team than the Cubs. The only way we can measure is head to head and we have a losing record to the Cubs.

Seriously, anyone who thinks the Cubs series matters more than any of the other series is just playing to lose.

WhiteSox5187
06-06-2007, 01:41 AM
I'm not so sure how many teams have ever over come an eight game defecit to win a division (or a spot in the playoffs) after Memorial Day, but it is VERY possible. We just have to play well. I don't think we are dead yet, but we have to start playing better and playing consistently better. If we can do that, we'll be fine. But that's a big if.

areilly
06-06-2007, 04:29 AM
I'm not so sure how many teams have ever over come an eight game defecit to win a division (or a spot in the playoffs) after Memorial Day, but it is VERY possible. We just have to play well. I don't think we are dead yet, but we have to start playing better and playing consistently better. If we can do that, we'll be fine. But that's a big if.

Tell that to the '02 Mariners.

In fact, tell that to the '03 Sox as well. And the '07 Sox while you're at it.

itsnotrequired
06-06-2007, 06:51 AM

The 2005 Astros were 15.5 back on June 20 and won the damn penant.

DumpJerry
06-06-2007, 08:14 AM
How is this equated to the World Series? I'm old enough to have experienced both a White Sox World Series appearance as well as the Sox sweeping the Cubs at The Urinal. Let me tell you, there is no comparison. Five minutes after the third game at The Urinal ended, the focus was on the Sox' next series. Over a year after the World Series ended, those of us who were around back then are still jumping for joy.

TommyJohn
06-06-2007, 08:39 AM
How is this equated to the World Series? I'm old enough to have experienced both a White Sox World Series appearance as well as the Sox sweeping the Cubs at The Urinal. Let me tell you, there is no comparison. Five minutes after the third game at The Urinal ended, the focus was on the Sox' next series. Over a year after the World Series ended, those of us who were around back then are still jumping for joy.

Quit living in the past.

UserNameBlank
06-06-2007, 08:44 AM

I agree. We should all concentrate more on the plight of the homeless and less on the Cubs.

It isn't stupid to enjoy watching your most hated team lose.

Baseball is everyone's game, which is exactly why it is called America's favorite pasttime. Baseball is more of a spectator sport than anything else, and if it weren't for the major league players doing their thing, children would have minimal to no interest in playing the game.

Cubs losses are equally important as Sox victories to you? So you would just as happy with a 99-win season from the Sox as you would be with a 99-loss season from the Cubs? I don't think you meant that, because if you did, man, that's ****ed up.

UserNameBlank
06-06-2007, 08:45 AM
That's quite ridiculous. It assumes that we are not "capable" of either hitting better, or pitching better. In short, you are completely and totally wrong.

Who the hell cares? Really, if we sweep them, and we win the year with them, does that make us better than them? Or if we lose 2 of 3, and they win the season series, but they finish 15 games behind in a crappy division while we end up 5 games out of the strongest division in baseball, does that make them better than us?

This series means nothing in the big picture...nothing at all. (other than being 3 more games on the schedule)
Agreed 100%. I'd like to sweep the Cubs every year. That means 6 extra victories to add to our season total. If people want to draw conclusions, let them.

UserNameBlank
06-06-2007, 08:50 AM
The 2005 Astros were 15.5 back on June 20 and won the damn penant.
In all fairness, the Astros had the best starting rotation in the NL that year and a pretty darn good bullpen. They were underachieving, even though their offense sucked, but the overall weakness of their division allowed them to crawl back into things.

In contrast the Sox don't even have the best pitching staff in their own division. Our division is a nasty, powerful division and while everyone needs something, Cleveland and Detroit only need a couple of arms for the pen. We almost need a whole new freaking team.
Edit: I also think Cleveland needs a new manager. Unfortunately for Tribe fans, their performance this year is likely to earn Mr. Wedgie an extension.

If the Sox played in the NL Central, I don't care if we're 16 games out right now. We win that division. But the AL Central? No chance in hell. This is a .500 baseball team headed for 4th place right now.

IndianWhiteSox
06-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Agreed 100%. I'd like to sweep the Cubs every year. That means 6 extra victories to add to our season total. If people want to draw conclusions, let them.

That's what I don't understand as well, people keep saying, "**** the Cubs, it doesn't matter!" Well, the Sox need to be taking them seriously just on the fact that, those are six less wins the Sox need to worry about making up. Also, it would be a psychological advantage as well, saying that if they can win a BS series like that, than they can win have that killer instinct in important games like the Twins or Tribe or Tigers.

UserNameBlank
06-06-2007, 09:35 AM
That's what I don't understand as well, people keep saying, "**** the Cubs, it doesn't matter!" Well, the Sox need to be taking them seriously just on the fact that, those are six less wins the Sox need to worry about making up. Also, it would be a psychological advantage as well, saying that if they can win a BS series like that, than they can win have that killer instinct in important games like the Twins or Tribe or Tigers.
Well yeah, I mean the Sox should try to win every single game they can obviously. Especially against weak competition like the Cubs and pretty much most of the NL as a whole.

As for it meaning something far greater than another victory on the season, that's ridiculous. Sure, if the Sox win then Sox fans can rub it in the faces of Cub fans, and vice versa, but we all know who the better team is, so what's the point? And even though it is obvious that one team is better than the other, who cares? If they both are bad teams treading water or losing ground in their divisions, and both are watching their playoffs hopes slip a little further away each and every day, there is nothing for any fan of either team to get excited about.

Crappy, losing baseball is not fun to watch. I don't want to see it against the Cubs or any of the other 28 teams in baseball we might play.

IndianWhiteSox
06-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Well yeah, I mean the Sox should try to win every single game they can obviously. Especially against weak competition like the Cubs and pretty much most of the NL as a whole.

As for it meaning something far greater than another victory on the season, that's ridiculous. Sure, if the Sox win then Sox fans can rub it in the faces of Cub fans, and vice versa, but we all know who the better team is, so what's the point? And even though it is obvious that one team is better than the other, who cares? If they both are bad teams treading water or losing ground in their divisions, and both are watching their playoffs hopes slip a little further away each and every day, there is nothing for any fan of either team to get excited about.

Crappy, losing baseball is not fun to watch. I don't want to see it against the Cubs or any of the other 28 teams in baseball we might play.

What I actually was meaning is that, the Cubs series is a GREAT way for the Sox to develop their killer instinct, which can mean that they'll have more of an edge against the Twins, Tigers, Toons,etc. It just seems that after the Sox play that damn series, they just fall apart or don't have that swagger they have entering the series.

Frontman
06-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Glory isn't winning it all, nor is it beating the crosstown team. The whole point of each team is to make it to the playoffs, to win as much as possible, and try to hold up the championship trophy. Glory is the success of sports, what we all dream of as kids that maybe one day, we can do something great.

Glory can be something as simple as one game in a player's career that brings a smile to his face:

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/6704914_36_1.jpg

It can be a single moment in a game when the emotions of an entire city hangs on the results:

http://mlb.mlb.com/ws/photo/history/ws_fisk_1975_288x235.jpg

Or it could be a moment that is forever etched in time when it comes instinctive, and without thought:
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/_photos/2006-04-24-rick-monday.jpg

Or when someone proves you don't need wings to fly:

http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopost/data/560/2204payton_diving_goalline_2.jpg

Glory comes from pushing oneself beyond the limit, and proving that willpower can overcome:

http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/page2/quickie/040619jordan.jpg

Yes, a championship trophy is something special, but its the pursuit of a goal and a dream that brings about glory.

mrwag
06-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Wow, that almost brought a tear to my eye!

IndianWhiteSox
06-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Glory isn't winning it all, nor is it beating the crosstown team. The whole point of each team is to make it to the playoffs, to win as much as possible, and try to hold up the championship trophy. Glory is the success of sports, what we all dream of as kids that maybe one day, we can do something great.

Glory can be something as simple as one game in a player's career that brings a smile to his face:

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/6704914_36_1.jpg

It can be a single moment in a game when the emotions of an entire city hangs on the results:

http://mlb.mlb.com/ws/photo/history/ws_fisk_1975_288x235.jpg

Or it could be a moment that is forever etched in time when it comes instinctive, and without thought:
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/_photos/2006-04-24-rick-monday.jpg

http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopost/data/560/2204payton_diving_goalline_2.jpg

Glory comes from pushing oneself beyond the limit, and proving that willpower can overcome:

http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/page2/quickie/040619jordan.jpg

Yes, a championship trophy is something special, but its the pursuit of a goal and a dream that brings about glory.

POTW

UserNameBlank
06-06-2007, 01:39 PM
What I actually was meaning is that, the Cubs series is a GREAT way for the Sox to develop their killer instinct, which can mean that they'll have more of an edge against the Twins, Tigers, Toons,etc. It just seems that after the Sox play that damn series, they just fall apart or don't have that swagger they have entering the series.

^^^This is the most awesome post in WSI history. Seriously, the little sting from our sucky season and the Bears dump in the SuperBowl and the Bulls failure to play basketball in the 4th quarter against the Pistons is gone after viewing this post.

Awesome X 10^inifinite power.

UserNameBlank
06-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Totally agree.

WhiteSox5187
06-06-2007, 04:27 PM
Tell that to the '02 Mariners.

In fact, tell that to the '03 Sox as well. And the '07 Sox while you're at it.
Well, the '03 White Sox didn't make the playoffs, so I'm not so sure I want to consult them right now. I said it was very possible, this team certainly isn't dead (they are talented), but they NEED to start playing better and they need to start doing that NOW. People can call me a dark cloud and a pessimist all they want and hopefully I'll look like the village idiot at the end of the year as the Sox start cruising through the playoffs, but right now it just doesn't look like that is going to happen.

Frontman
06-06-2007, 04:31 PM
^^^This is the most awesome post in WSI history. Seriously, the little sting from our sucky season and the Bears dump in the SuperBowl and the Bulls failure to play basketball in the 4th quarter against the Pistons is gone after viewing this post.

Awesome X 10^inifinite power.

UserNameBlank, IndianWhiteSox;

Thanks for thinking I wrote something cool. As many have seen, I write from the heart (which will get me in trouble from time to time) but it was those moments that came to me while thinking about "Sports Glory" that really tell the tale. From 2007 back into the 1970's (and beyond) its the moments that define it. Just remembering them and how it made folks feel is the definition of Glory.

UserNameBlank
06-06-2007, 07:01 PM

Thanks for thinking I wrote something cool. As many have seen, I write from the heart (which will get me in trouble from time to time) but it was those moments that came to me while thinking about "Sports Glory" that really tell the tale. From 2007 back into the 1970's (and beyond) its the moments that define it. Just remembering them and how it made folks feel is the definition of Glory.
No prob. It's people like you who should be taking jobs from turds like Carol Slezak, Jay Mariotti, and Mike North. It's important every once in a while to stop ranting about everything that is wrong, stop burying everyone who makes a mistake, stop trying to stir up controversy and take a step back to remember the reasons we all care in the first place.

There is no way to dispute your point at all. Every single year, it is all about this year, and usually they all end in disappointment. Us fans get angry and demand changes, we eagerly anticipate what moves will be made and get excited over how different the team will look, and once those changes occur we typically overanalyze everything until we all set ourselves up for yet another inevitable disappointment. I know most people want to be like Mark McGwire and not talk about the past, myself included although I don't want my package to shrink, but sometimes we overlook things, at least I know I do. What I really liked most about your post was the Rick Monday and Mark Buehrle mentions. Those events have nothing at all to do with the outcome of the season or winning championships but are moments that define careers and decades, and in the case of Monday, it spoke to the integrity of baseball and the importance of baseball throughout American history.

It's weird because I think the Sox are going to fail miserably this year, and probably for the next couple of years I'll look back on '07 as another team that had the talent but couldn't play to it's capabilities. But ten years from now I'll probably forget most of that and remember Buehrle's no-no.

Awesome post again.

IndianWhiteSox
06-07-2007, 07:01 AM

If I ever buy the Sun-Times, I'll hire you as a columnist.
:cool:

Frontman
06-07-2007, 06:20 PM
If I ever buy the Sun-Times, I'll hire you as a columnist.
:cool:

I'll only work there if the Heine-bird is gone.