.340 .573 .438 27 HR 109 RBI 42 SB

IndianWhiteSox
06-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Forget '01, look at '03.

.340 .573 .438 27 HR 109 RBI 42 SB

I only mentioned '01 because of his 44SB and 30HR

twentywontowin
06-04-2007, 04:49 PM
With those numbers, why don't we have him in a permanent #6 spot?

DumpJerry
06-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Alright, I'm sold. Let's try to lure this guy to the US so he can play for us!

IndianWhiteSox
06-04-2007, 04:59 PM
With those numbers, why don't we have him in a permanent #6 spot?

That's the main reason why Ozzie been trying to do that.

Alright, I'm sold. Let's try to lure this guy to the US so he can play for us!

Are you sure? I think he just got offered a deal from the Yankees for 4/50million.
:tongue:

Paulwny
06-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Pretty good numbers against minor league pitching and playing in slightly smaller ball parks.

IndianWhiteSox
06-04-2007, 05:17 PM
Pretty good numbers against minor league pitching and playing in slightly smaller ball parks.

In case you forgot, the Sox play in the AL launching pad called US cellular field.

Paulwny
06-04-2007, 05:21 PM
In case you forgot, the Sox play in the AL launching pad called US cellular field.

So what, it's still larger than most Japanese stadiums, especially in the power alleys. Again, great numbers against MINOR LEAGUE PITCHING.

Milw
06-04-2007, 05:37 PM
So what, it's still larger than most Japanese stadiums, especially in the power alleys. Again, great numbers against MINOR LEAGUE PITCHING.
:?:

Why are we arguing about this? The guy was a huge key to a World Series champion team. He's having a down year, yes ... but it's like we're doubting whether he has the ability to play in MLB.

Silly, silly discussion.

Paulwny
06-04-2007, 05:43 PM

Why are we arguing about this? The guy was a huge key to a World Series champion team. He's having a down year, yes ... but it's like we're doubting whether he has the ability to play in MLB.

Silly, silly discussion.

Where the hell did I say that he can't compete in the majors. I'm saying that his numbers in Japan are equal to minor league numbers in the US and I don't think you'll see big power numbers from him. I think he's ave to above average as a 2nd baseman.

HotelWhiteSox
06-04-2007, 06:07 PM
Hey, their country won the WBC, that's gotta be worth something. :wink:

I'm surprised Iguchi didn't get more money or interest. Then again, Kaz Matsui had some decent numbers, is he even in the league anymore?

DSpivack
06-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Hey, their country won the WBC, that's gotta be worth something. :wink:

I'm surprised Iguchi didn't get more money or interest. Then again, Kaz Matsui had some decent numbers, is he even in the league anymore?

Kaz is off to a good start in Colorado this year.

tyrath25
06-04-2007, 06:14 PM
I've been a Tadahito fan ever since we brought him over...although I admit I always seem to have a bias for Japanese players. He never seems to get much attention. I think his defense is defintely worth noting, yet it seldom gets mentioned. And while his bat doesn't seem to work sometimes lately, he remains a solid 2B-man. Let's just hope something good happens soon, not to mention to Crede, Paulie, Jermaine and Jim Thome's little heating up continues...

RowanDye
06-04-2007, 06:28 PM

Silly, silly discussion.

I am worried about his age though. He's not going to improve, and if anything his skills are on the decline.

We have much, much bigger concerns, but more production from 2B shouldn't be overlooked.

DSpivack
06-04-2007, 06:48 PM
I am worried about his age though. He's not going to improve, and if anything his skills are on the decline.

We have much, much bigger concerns, but more production from 2B shouldn't be overlooked.

That and the fact that there isn't a replacement in the near future in our farm system.

GlassSox
06-04-2007, 09:36 PM
I've been a Tadahito fan ever since we brought him over...although I admit I always seem to have a bias for Japanese players. He never seems to get much attention. I think his defense is defintely worth noting, yet it seldom gets mentioned. And while his bat doesn't seem to work sometimes lately, he remains a solid 2B-man. Let's just hope something good happens soon, not to mention to Crede, Paulie, Jermaine and Jim Thome's little heating up continues...

Me too, big fan ever since he came to the Sox. Good defense with some anti-gravity once in awhile. His bat is better tonight so far 3 for 4.

goon
06-05-2007, 12:40 AM

Age doesn't concern me at all. The guy is 32 years old and there are a ton of guys at 2B and SS, smaller guys too, who last at those positions and maintain consistent production into their mid thirties.

I hope the Sox are smart enough to re-sign him unless there is a better option they are looking at.

chaerulez
06-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Some years, his numbers were amazing:

http://www.japanesebaseball.com/players/player.jsp?PlayerID=970

Just look at 2001 season.
:o:

His 2001 season has nothing on 2003. He hit for almost .100 more higher average, with only 3 less HRs in 20 some less ABs.

06-05-2007, 12:02 PM
That and the fact that there isn't a replacement in the near future in our farm system.

Chris Getz has been pretty impressive.

russ99
06-06-2007, 09:01 AM
I think Iguchi should stay at #2. He's most comfortable hitting there.

Everytime Ozzie's moved him down to 6 or lower in the order, he seems to stop hitting well. I don't know if it's a lack of focus from moving runners over or getting on base, or trying to hit homers, but I think Gooch is fine where he is.

Also, he's a vastly underrated fielder. If Iguchi leaves in the offseason, they'll miss his glove.

I know Ozzie's eyeballing Castillo from the Twins, but unless the Sox absolutely need a new leadoff guy, that's a big step down IMO. Also, if Pods and Erstad are gone next year, I'd hope the Sox can get a much better leadoff hitter than Luis Castillo.

UserNameBlank
06-06-2007, 09:13 AM
Age doesn't concern me at all. The guy is 32 years old and there are a ton of guys at 2B and SS, smaller guys too, who last at those positions and maintain consistent production into their mid thirties.

I hope the Sox are smart enough to re-sign him unless there is a better option they are looking at.
Agreed. I don't want to give him a long term deal, but I think a 2 year extension would be terrific. He shouldn't decline all that much over the next 2 years and at 2B we really need someone who can bring a little offense, especially in the clutch like he has done since we've picked him up. No more Willie Harris'. Ever.
I think Iguchi should stay at #2. He's most comfortable hitting there.

Everytime Ozzie's moved him down to 6 or lower in the order, he seems to stop hitting well. I don't know if it's a lack of focus from moving runners over or getting on base, or trying to hit homers, but I think Gooch is fine where he is.

Also, he's a vastly underrated fielder. If Iguchi leaves in the offseason, they'll miss his glove.

I know Ozzie's eyeballing Castillo from the Twins, but unless the Sox absolutely need a new leadoff guy, that's a big step down IMO. Also, if Pods and Erstad are gone next year, I'd hope the Sox can get a much better leadoff hitter than Luis Castillo.
Agreed again. His defense is underrated. He makes the easy plays and even some great ones here and there. The only thing that bothers me is that he never wants to hold anyone on 2B.

Tadahito has really grown accustomed to the 2 spot and IMO with the type of offensive player he is that is really his best spot. He gets on base decently for a 2B, although he's been bad like everyone else this year, he brings a little speed, a little power, and can hit the ball to the right side. Moving him lower doesn't make much sense, unless of course you're Ozzie.

Castillo is a turfballer with an injury history. Iguchi IIRC had something wrong with his shoulder in Japan which forced him to move to 2B but hasn't had anything serious wrong with him since then. I like Iguchi's chances at staying healthy over the next couple of years more than Castillo's. I also like Iguchi's power, and Castillo isn't going to hit for average like he does with the Twins on real grass.

StepsInSC
06-06-2007, 11:14 AM
So what, it's still larger than most Japanese stadiums, especially in the power alleys.

US Cellular Dimensions
Left Field - 330 ft (100.5 m)
Left-Center - 375 ft (114 m)
Center Field - 400 ft (122 m)
Right-Center - 375 ft (114 m)
Right Field - 335 ft (102 m)

Fukuoka Dome
Left Field Line- 328 ft
Left-Center - 387 ft
Center Field - 400 ft
Right-Center - 387 ft
Right Field Line - 328 ft

This is more just for general purposes, I don't really have a point. Interestingly, Iguchi's old home stadium had the second largest dimensions in the alleys of all Japan stadiums.

jabrch
06-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Chris Getz has been pretty impressive.

And is probably at least 1 year, if not 2 years away - right?

TomBradley72
06-06-2007, 11:23 AM

His range is starting to disappear, he has not looked sharp on defense this year, no longer a major SB threat, not hitting very well. I hope I'm wrong...but he seems to be aging fast.