mcsoxfan
06-03-2007, 09:23 PM
They gone. Prinz and Bukvich coming up.

Masset should have gone with him.

chisoxmike
06-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Masset should have gone with him.

:?:

Why? The only bullpen guys I would keep on this team is Masset, Thorton, and Jenks.

HotelWhiteSox
06-03-2007, 09:26 PM
I don't know what the hell happened to Aardsma. Maybe he just can't handle those high pressure situations. Or he just likes the cold, a Bear weather type of guy ;)

Can't say I'd be anymore confident sticking minor league guys in there though...

hose
06-03-2007, 09:27 PM
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ibp&did=milb&cid=494

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Ryan%2520Bukvich&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=424426

Martinigirl
Gone to AAA or cut completely?

SoxxoS
Masset isn't very good either, but he is the lesser of three ****ing evils right now.

IIRC Prinz has had some injury issues, so hopefully he can get it back and keep up his success.

I am not expecting much out of Bukvich, but he could suprise.

I just hope both are pitching with confidence.

Sargeant79
06-03-2007, 09:29 PM
Source?

DeuceUnit
06-03-2007, 09:33 PM
AAA. Can't tell you my source. Just have to trust me on this. I know everyone likes a source. It will be announced fairly soon anyways.

bigfoot
06-03-2007, 09:33 PM
I don't know what the hell happened to Aardsma. Maybe he just can't handle those high pressure situations. Or he just likes the cold, a Bear weather type of guy ;)

Can't say I'd be anymore confident sticking minor league guys in there though...

As the Hawk said: The first time through the League he surprised them with his fast ball and slider, but when he couldn't throw anything for a strike other than a dead straight fast ball........Everybody has tape and scouting reports.

Pods4455
06-03-2007, 09:34 PM
I got confirmation from one of them personally about 5 minutes after it happened. he's right. they got sent down. leave tomorrow.

hose
06-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Mac will be back soon.

Aardsma could be a candidate for a Snickers commercial down in Charlotte....not going anywhere for a while?

ChiSox4Life
06-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Welcom aboard Prinz and Bukvich!

Pods4455
06-03-2007, 09:40 PM
im 100% sure Aardsma will be back before macdougal will be.

hose
06-03-2007, 09:41 PM
Prinz should be fresh......:duck:

hose
06-03-2007, 09:43 PM

Is mac gone? as in trade?

hose
06-03-2007, 09:44 PM
or is mac hurt?

DeuceUnit
06-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Demoted to AAA.

Pods4455
06-03-2007, 09:45 PM
mac was optioned to the minors.. he wasnt traded and hes not hurt. at leat not that im aware of @ this point. i could be wrong so dont quote me. lol.

Sargeant79
06-03-2007, 09:47 PM

You're holding out on us. Spill it. Were all those Giants scouts discussed in other threads checking out Mac?

hose
06-03-2007, 09:47 PM
mac was optioned to the minors.. he wasnt traded and hes not hurt. at leat not that im aware of @ this point. i could be wrong so dont quote me. lol.

so that 100% sure is more like 50-50:rolleyes:

sox1970
06-03-2007, 09:51 PM
If this is true, then someone will have to be dropped from the 40-man.

Either Oneli Perez or Paulino Reynoso would be the top candidates.

whitesoxfan
06-03-2007, 09:53 PM
I thought MacDougal didn't have any options?

Pods4455
06-03-2007, 09:54 PM
lol i said i was 100% sure aardsma would be back before mac. not about what happened to mac...

delben91
06-03-2007, 09:55 PM

I know that Thornton doesn't have any left. Don't know about MacDougal...

sox1970
06-03-2007, 09:56 PM
I know that Thornton doesn't have any left. Don't know about MacDougal...

MacDougal would have to be put on revocable waivers, but he does have an option left.

Pods4455
06-03-2007, 09:56 PM
mac had one option left. i just checked w/ my source about exactly what happened.. waiting to hear back.

letsgosox1592
06-03-2007, 09:58 PM
wow...in spring training were suppose to have one of the best bulpens and now 3 starting relievers in minors(mac, aardsma, and sisco) and 4 guys who probably would of been minors all year besides september call up(day, prinz, bukhich or whateva, and well logan probably would of been up) ozzie doesnt know how to use his bulpen...he puts people in places were they dont feel comfortable...and it all started with aardsma trying to close out the game against detroit and eva since hes sucked and the bulpen too.

RadioheadRocks
06-03-2007, 09:58 PM

Be that as it may, as far as I'm concerned it's all about cutting our losses and that's fine by me.

sox1970
06-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Be that as it may, as far as I'm concerned it's all about cutting our losses and that's fine by me.

It wasn't a huge dollar contract, but he did just sign a 3 year deal with the Sox. That would be something if they ate that contract.

soxinem1
06-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Jay Witasick was DFA by OAK today, they should give him a call. He still has good stuff and is an experienced reliever.

Hats off to Bukvich, it's not often a guy not even on the 40 man roster can get a call up.

Viva Medias B's
06-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Perhaps Ozzie Jr. will say something on this on his show right now.

soxwon
06-03-2007, 10:03 PM
Who are we suppose to be getting for Crede & Dye from Frisco?

whitesoxfan
06-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Hats off to Bukvich, it's not often a guy not even on the 40 man roster can get a call up.

Which brings us to another point. To be put on the 40 man, someone had to be placed on the 15 day DL or 60 day DL to make room for him on the 40 man roster. It's not that I don't trust these sources, but something isn't adding up here.

dickallen15
06-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Which brings us to another point. To be put on the 40 man, someone had to be placed on the 15 day DL or 60 day DL to make room for him on the 40 man roster. It's not that I don't trust these sources, but something isn't adding up here.
Couldn't Pods be transferred to the 60 day?

whitesoxfan
06-03-2007, 10:07 PM

Yes, that could happen.

sox1970
06-03-2007, 10:08 PM

That's probably why it won't be announced officially until tomorrow. There could be a series of events that have to take place within baseball and the minor league organization before this becomes official.

tebman
06-03-2007, 10:14 PM
That's probably why it won't be announced officially until tomorrow. There could be a series of events that have to take place within baseball and the minor league organization before this becomes official.
No problem. I'm sure Phil Rogers will be happy to fill us in tomorrow on why this is a despicable move by the Sox organization.

I'm still looking forward to a deal to be done. Are those Giants scouts still in town?

DeuceUnit
06-03-2007, 10:17 PM

You are correct sir.

Boondock Saint
06-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Jay Witasick was DFA by OAK today, they should give him a call. He still has good stuff and is an experienced reliever.

Worth a try, I think.

Viva Medias B's
06-03-2007, 10:21 PM
I think Ozzie Jr. just said that Aardsma and MacDougal were sent down and that Gio Gonzalez would be replacing one of them.

salty99
06-03-2007, 10:21 PM
I think Ozzie Jr. just said that Aardsma and MacDougal were sent down and that Gio Gonzalez would be replacing one of them.

Think...I don't get it.

ChiSoxGirl
06-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Think...I don't get it.

He's speaking Spanish on "Latino Basebol de Hoy" on the Score.

Viva Medias B's
Think...I don't get it.

Perhaps someone whose Spanish is better than mine ought to tune in and see what exactly Ozzie Jr. is saying.

salty99
That's fine but Ozzie, Jr. either said they were sent down or he didn't.

HawkDJ
06-03-2007, 10:26 PM
At least now I won't be too disappointed when we blow a 3 run lead. Yay low expectations.

SoxxoS
06-03-2007, 10:26 PM
Gio? Wow

Foulke You
06-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Bukvich is from Naperville and Prinz is from Chicago Heights. Local boys. Look for the obligatory Trib article on how they grew up cheering for the Cubs their whole lives.:tongue:

Viva Medias B's
06-03-2007, 10:28 PM
Gio? Wow

I don't know if he said Gio Gonzalez is coming up, but Ozzie Jr. definitely mentioned his name.

Foulke You
06-03-2007, 10:34 PM
MacDougal just needs to find his release point again. He was pretty lights out last year for us. Hopefully, he can work on some things down in Charlotte with the pressure off and come back to us in the 2nd half as an effective reliever again. I kind've feel a tad bad for Mac. Don't get me wrong, Mac has dug his own hole here but Ozzie kept trotting him out there in pressure cooker situations and never gave him an opportunity to work through his problems at the big league level in some non-meat grinder situations.

A previous poster hit the nail on the head with Aardsma. Earlier in the year, his velocity surprised AL hitters but he was also getting his slider over for a strike. Aardsma's last 4 or 5 outings he was a one pitch pitcher (fastball) which just doesn't cut it in the AL.

Vernam
06-03-2007, 10:36 PM
I don't know if he said Gio Gonzalez is coming up, but Ozzie Jr. definitely mentioned his name.Let's just hope OG Jr. wasn't inviting Gio out for drinks. :duck:

Vernam

Iwritecode
06-03-2007, 10:40 PM
I kind've feel a tad bad for Mac. Don't get me wrong, Mac has dug his own hole here but Ozzie kept trotting him out there in pressure cooker situations and never gave him an opportunity to work through his problems at the big league level in some non-meat grinder situations.

You can blame the offense for that one. When is the last time Ozzie had the opportunity to bring in anyone from the bullpen with a big lead? These guys are giving up walks and hits with nobody on base and 2 outs.

Martinigirl
06-03-2007, 10:42 PM
MacDougal just needs to find his release point again. He was pretty lights out last year for us. Hopefully, he can work on some things down in Charlotte with the pressure off and come back to us in the 2nd half as an effective reliever again. I kind've feel a tad bad for Mac. Don't get me wrong, Mac has dug his own hole here but Ozzie kept trotting him out there in pressure cooker situations and never gave him an opportunity to work through his problems at the big league level in some non-meat grinder situations.

This is the exact same thing he did with Cotts and Polite last year. He kept sending them out there, thinking that they would eventually figure it out, but instead they just kept giving up runs and costing us games. I can understand the logic, getting back on the horse et al, but at some point you have to realize that it isn't working. Thankfully, Ozzie pulled the plug a lot faster on Mac & Aarsdma than he did with Cotts and Polite.

salty99
06-03-2007, 10:43 PM
If you remember Aardsma was not very good in spring training either.

MeteorsSox4367
06-03-2007, 10:45 PM
I thought I heard Ozzie Jr. say something about "Los senores MacDougal y Aardsma, bienvenidos a Charlotte. Ustedes estan jugadores muy malos."

I could be wrong, however.

Huisj
06-03-2007, 10:46 PM

A previous poster hit the nail on the head with Aardsma. Earlier in the year, his velocity surprised AL hitters but he was also getting his slider over for a strike. Aardsma's last 4 or 5 outings he was a one pitch pitcher (fastball) which just doesn't cut it in the AL.

Not only that, but the fastball Aardsma's been throwing lately is not the fastball he threw in April. That fastball was hard, and the one lately has looked like an aimed fastball--it didn't have the same pop on it at all, and he still couldn't control it.

MacDougal has just looked really off for a while. His mechanics have always been sort of funny even when he's pitching well just because he's so lanky, but lately he's looked really out of wack and not consistent pitch to pitch. I also wonder if part of that is because he's got like 27 appearances and only 17 innings pitched. It seems like it'd be tough to work yourself out of trouble when you're up every single day but never throw to more than a few batters. Granted, lately he's been really bad at even getting those few guys out that he does face, so that adds to the high appearance/low inning pitched stat, but even early in the year he made a lot of these really short appearances.

How about a new system where instead of making 3 pitching changes per inning, a reliever is told to go pitch the 7th or to pitch the 8th and know that they are expected to get through the whole inning. This one batter appearance crap has got to stop because it doesn't work and it seems to wear guys out mentally and physically.

FedEx227
06-03-2007, 10:47 PM

I'm the same way you are. Obviously Aardsma's stuff isn't fooling people anymore, he hasn't changed anything he's doing what he's been doing all year/all career.

Mac on the other hand is just a mechanic mess right now. Release point is off, shoulder flying open, head bobbing all over the place. I'd hate to see us cut ties with him and go to an organization that works on his mechanics and gets him back to square one. That's why I hope we hold onto him and insteand of putting him in tight situations for awhile, give him some time to work stuff out. Hell, don't use him for a week, have him throw side sessions with Coop, watch tape of himself and try to figure it out.

People are so quick to say "JUST THROW STRIKES"... believe it or not it's not that easy. Right now Mac is mentally and mechanically wrong and the notion that he can "JUST THROW STRIKES" is not going to happen without time and effort on both his behalf and the White Sox staff.

FedEx227
06-03-2007, 10:49 PM
How about a new system where instead of making 3 pitching changes per inning, a reliever is told to go pitch the 7th or to pitch the 8th and know that they are expected to get through the whole inning. This one batter appearance crap has got to stop because it doesn't work and it seems to wear guys out mentally and physically.

Does it ever. Look at Aardsma's walk to Hunter a couple days ago. It was obvious from the look on his face and the desperation he made in warming up when they cut to him on Comcast that he was not ready or Ozzie didn't call him up right away. Because you could tell he was in a complete rush to get ready and appeared confused.

God damnit, if someone is getting someone out, let's stick with him. If Thornton gets the first two guys he sees out, who cares if a righty/lefty/switch/whatever comes out, let him get through the inning.

ilsox7
06-03-2007, 10:52 PM
God damnit, if someone is getting someone out, let's stick with him. If Thornton gets the first two guys he sees out, who cares if a righty/lefty/switch/whatever comes out, let him get through the inning.

Ozzie Guillen does, apparently. And this after he talked all winter about having guys in the bullpen who he could give the ball to for an entire inning and not worry about lefty-righty crap. Yet that is all he worries about.

ND_Sox_Fan
06-03-2007, 10:52 PM
Does it ever. Look at Aardsma's walk to Hunter a couple days ago. It was obvious from the look on his face and the desperation he made in warming up when they cut to him on Comcast that he was not ready or Ozzie didn't call him up right away. Because you could tell he was in a complete rush to get ready and appeared confused.

I have never understood the concept that somehow closers can (and are allowed to) get both lefties and righties out, but no other member of the bullpen can.

DrCrawdad
06-03-2007, 10:55 PM
I saw an interview with MacDougle yesterday. Looks to me that the guy has lost his confidence and seemed pretty shaken up. I felt bad for him.

ilsox7
06-03-2007, 10:57 PM
I saw an interview with MacDougle yesterday. Looks to me that the guy has lost his confidence and seemed pretty shaken up. I felt bad for him.

I feel bad for most of these guys. It's not like they are going out there intending to suck. They just have not been getting the job done. I really hope they get straightened out in AAA. Especially with Mac, he has the potential (and has recently shown aka 2006) that he can be an 8th inning guy. This team needs that, ASAP.

Hokiesox
06-03-2007, 11:07 PM
I'm sick of the righty-lefty garbage and quickly turning into a supporter of Farm's campaign. This is blatant mismanagement of a bullpen.

oeo
06-04-2007, 12:08 AM
I definitely don't like the idea of Gio coming up. Don't rush the kid, PLEASE.

Well, he and Aardsma can still turn it around, and I think they will. The difference between them and a guy like Politte, for instance, is Politte ran out of gas and didn't have anything anymore. These guys, it's mental/mechanical, so I think they'll be alright.

I'm sick of the righty-lefty garbage and quickly turning into a supporter of Farm's campaign. This is blatant mismanagement of a bullpen.

Just one example, but just today during the Yankees-Red Sox game, Francona did the same thing...the difference is, Francona's bullpen is doing their job.

UserNameBlank
06-04-2007, 12:18 AM
I definitely don't like the idea of Gio coming up. Don't rush the kid, PLEASE.
Me either. I hope that is incorrect and Gio isn't coming up - unless of course some of these moves are the result of a soon-to-be finalized trade that sends out a starter. I doubt it though. Gio doesn't make sense out of the pen.

Well, he and Aardsma can still turn it around, and I think they will. The difference between them and a guy like Politte, for instance, is Politte ran out of gas and didn't have anything anymore. These guys, it's mental/mechanical, so I think they'll be alright.
Agreed. Aardsma will probably stick in Charlotte for a while and figure things out. You just done't lose your stuff overnight like Aardsma has.

My guess is MacDougal is traded. There will surely still be teams that will want him, especially now since his value is so low. He has the track record and is signed to a cheap deal, so I still think we could get something good for him. If for some reason KW can't get anything for him worth trading for, which is really hard to believe, it would make sense to keep him and wait for him get out of this mess. He will soon enough.

BoysMom3
06-04-2007, 12:19 AM

As much as I've been groaning lately every time I see MacDougal come into the game, I feel badly for him too. I hope he gets things worked out and can come back up soon.

FARMEO
06-04-2007, 12:24 AM
Logan has trouble against right-handers, that is why he was pulled against Tori who also hits better against left-handing pitching. Sometimes the situation calls for using the best match-up.

WhiteSox5187
06-04-2007, 12:30 AM
I'm the same way you are. Obviously Aardsma's stuff isn't fooling people anymore, he hasn't changed anything he's doing what he's been doing all year/all career.

Mac on the other hand is just a mechanic mess right now. Release point is off, shoulder flying open, head bobbing all over the place. I'd hate to see us cut ties with him and go to an organization that works on his mechanics and gets him back to square one. That's why I hope we hold onto him and insteand of putting him in tight situations for awhile, give him some time to work stuff out. Hell, don't use him for a week, have him throw side sessions with Coop, watch tape of himself and try to figure it out.

People are so quick to say "JUST THROW STRIKES"... believe it or not it's not that easy. Right now Mac is mentally and mechanically wrong and the notion that he can "JUST THROW STRIKES" is not going to happen without time and effort on both his behalf and the White Sox staff.
Of course it's not that easy (i sure as hell couldn't do it) but something needs to happen to get these guys right. Whether it's sending them down (which is apparently what's happening) or putting them on the DL. I hope they figure everything out and come back real soon and start dominating guys.

HotelWhiteSox
06-04-2007, 01:01 AM
Any interview I used to see with MacDougal showed that he was a real nervous type of guy, even when he wasn't struggling, had a scared quality to him in interviews, he must be a mess right now, basically turned into the new Marte pretty quickly

Man Soo Lee
06-04-2007, 01:57 AM
Ozzie Guillen does, apparently. And this after he talked all winter about having guys in the bullpen who he could give the ball to for an entire inning and not worry about lefty-righty crap. Yet that is all he worries about.

Ozzie said that assuming KW was right about all of the "power arms" they had collected for the 'pen. When it turns out that most of your bullpen stinks, all you can do is play the percentages and hope to get by.

pagansoxfan
06-04-2007, 02:48 AM
hahaha. on running the bases, offman said philly was rumored in a trade for our fav obsessed about ex of. i'd gladly pay for macsuckle's ride out of town.

whitesoxfan
06-04-2007, 02:51 AM
hahaha. on running the bases, offman said philly was rumored in a trade for our fav obsessed about ex of. i'd gladly pay for macsuckle's ride out of town.

He's probably just reporting the speculation that Rogers wrote about in the Sunday Tribune.

IlliniSox4Life
06-04-2007, 03:01 AM
I love sources that can't be named.

I'm not questioning either of these guys sources because it makes sense that this would be done and we've been expecting it, but, well, I hate sources that can't be named.

I would be careful to trade Mac right now. As much as he's been pissing me off, the guy has good stuff when he's on, and he was on for the majority of the beginning of his time with the Sox. I think he can get back to where he was and I would hate to sell low on him.

Law11
06-04-2007, 07:41 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/412654,CST-SPT-soxnt04.article

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/413028,CST-SPT-dye04.article

Bullpen shakeup and Dye Trade rumors per the times this morning..

FedEx227
06-04-2007, 08:09 AM
hahaha. on running the bases, offman said philly was rumored in a trade for our fav obsessed about ex of.

Armando Rios?

LauraJ14
06-04-2007, 08:23 AM
Did you see Abreu play the outfield this weekend in Boston, not good.
I don't want him on the Sox,

balke
06-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Did you see Abreu play the outfield this weekend in Boston, not good.
I don't want him on the Sox,

Yeah, I don't get this. Everyone keeps saying that. 8 of his 9 full seasons of play he's had an OBP of .400+. 7 of his 8 full seasons he's had an avg. over .300. And he's not good because he is slumping in the first half of this season? GMAB. This is also a guy who adds 30 SB's every season when he is on base. He's also got a better SLG. % than Jermaine Dye. I'd be delighted at the acquisition. It would be just one more mistake made by NY that benefited the White Sox.

SouthSoxFan
06-04-2007, 09:03 AM
Since May 23, we're 2-8 and Jenks has been on the hill twice (facing 6 batters). I understand the conventional thinking about closers and when they should be used. But when your bullpen is a disaster, as ours currently is, shouldn't your best reliever be given more opportunities to help the team? Just seems like he's being wasted.

balke
06-04-2007, 09:28 AM
Since May 23, we're 2-8 and Jenks has been on the hill twice (facing 6 batters). I understand the conventional thinking about closers and when they should be used. But when your bullpen is a disaster, as ours currently is, shouldn't your best reliever be given more opportunities to help the team? Just seems like he's being wasted.

There was maybe one game where I'd agree. But, you gotta get to Bobby first. Sox are losing the lead in like the 6th-8th innings.

spiffie
06-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Yeah, I don't get this. Everyone keeps saying that. 8 of his 9 full seasons of play he's had an OBP of .400+. 7 of his 8 full seasons he's had an avg. over .300. And he's not good because he is slumping in the first half of this season? GMAB. This is also a guy who adds 30 SB's every season when he is on base. He's also got a better SLG. % than Jermaine Dye. I'd be delighted at the acquisition. It would be just one more mistake made by NY that benefited the White Sox.
He's also 33 and under contract for at most 1.5 seasons and to get that we'd be looking at $16 million next year. And that's with the hope he'll turn it around this year.

If the team is going to make rebuilding moves like trading off future FA vets, I'd rather we put those resources towards long-term rebuilding, not renting an extremely high-priced veteran for one more season that doesn't exactly look too promising.

Mickster
06-04-2007, 09:38 AM
He's also 33 and under contract for at most 1.5 seasons and to get that we'd be looking at $16 million next year. And that's with the hope he'll turn it around this year.

If the team is going to make rebuilding moves like trading off future FA vets, I'd rather we put those resources towards long-term rebuilding, not renting an extremely high-priced veteran for one more season that doesn't exactly look too promising.

While I agree that I do not want an Abreu for Dye trade to happen, I am certain that KW would get cash sent over in any deal for Abreu. Cashman is just that stupid....

russ99
06-04-2007, 09:44 AM

Sure, but then the Sox would have to cut someone loose from the 40 man roster when he comes back within the next month.

Some other poster mentioned yesterday that the Sox only like to use the 60-day for guys that are out for the season. As of now, Pods is not out for the season, but the Sox thinking might change if he has another setback.

Thome25
06-04-2007, 09:53 AM
With all of the roster manuevering that has to be done with the 40-man roster and the fact that MacDougal only has one option left and he is signed to a 3-year deal, It sounds like a trade is in the works and hasn't been finalized yet.

infohawk
06-04-2007, 09:59 AM
Masset isn't very good either, but he is the lesser of three ****ing evils right now.
I still have confidence in Masset based upon some of his longer outings. He may not well suited for standard bullpen duty, though. I still think his future at this point is as a middle to back-of-the-rotation starter.

KyWhiSoxFan
06-04-2007, 10:01 AM
With all of the roster manuevering that has to be done with the 40-man roster and the fact that MacDougal only has one option left and he is signed to a 3-year deal, It sounds like a trade is in the works and hasn't been finalized yet.

My guess is anyone willing to take him off the Sox's hands and assume the contract can have him for a AA player or less.

infohawk
06-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Yeah. It's got to be frustrating for him. I could understand a reliever going through a spurt where he was getting hit. But Mac has been so far from the strike zone it's a real head-scratcher. I mean, it's not like he's just missing off the corners. It seems like every pitch has the potential to get past the catcher.

TDog
06-04-2007, 10:18 AM

Why? The only bullpen guys I would keep on this team is Masset, Thorton, and Jenks.

Masset lost Sunday's game. Thornton (not MacDougal and Aardsma) is responsible for Saturday's loss and leads the team in blown saves. That's unacceptable. Send them down, too. Jenks is spared WSI wrath because he hasn't lost a game since April. Not that Jenks has had many chances.

I'm sure a relief staff with Day, Logan, Prinz, and Bukvich would fill everyone in confidence when the Sox need to go to the bullpen even if the Sox don't send down Masset to bring up another minor league pitcher.

At least, it seems, they couldn't do any worse.

Sargeant79
06-04-2007, 10:26 AM

I've been thinking the same thing. Word of these moves leaked over 12 hours ago and nothing has been said about it, which is unusual. As bad as Mac has pitched, I never thought before last night that he would be a candidate to get sent to the minors. What you say makes a lot of sense.

nsdjoe
06-04-2007, 10:30 AM
At least, it seems, they couldn't do any worse.

Quoted for truth. Ugh.

UserNameBlank
06-04-2007, 10:30 AM
My guess is anyone willing to take him off the Sox's hands and assume the contract can have him for a AA player or less.
Not unless Kenny is auditioning for a job in Pittsburgh.

Iwritecode
06-04-2007, 10:31 AM
I've been thinking the same thing. Word of these moves leaked over 12 hours ago and nothing has been said about it, which is unusual. As bad as Mac has pitched, I never thought before last night that he would be a candidate to get sent to the minors. What you say makes a lot of sense.

I just read over at Soxtalk that Aardsma and Macdougal being sent to the minors has been reported on 670.

roadrunner
06-04-2007, 10:37 AM
that should solve our hitting woes

CHISOXFAN13
06-04-2007, 10:39 AM
that should solve our hitting woes

Sky blue?

salty99
06-04-2007, 11:03 AM
Ozuna moved to 60 day DL
Prinz and Bukvich called up for Mac and AA. Masset is next to go if he fails again.

All this reported on the Score.

Official here: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070604&content_id=2004279&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

UserNameBlank
06-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Wow, we're really scraping the bottom of the barrel here. Hoping these two will be much better. I did like what I saw from Bukvich in ST.

nsdjoe
06-04-2007, 11:08 AM
Sky blue?

Maybe teal is responsible for the team's recent woes :redneck

FielderJones
06-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Officially reported on Whitesox.com (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070604&content_id=2004279&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

cws05champ
06-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Sure, but then the Sox would have to cut someone loose from the 40 man roster when he comes back within the next month.

Some other poster mentioned yesterday that the Sox only like to use the 60-day for guys that are out for the season. As of now, Pods is not out for the season, but the Sox thinking might change if he has another setback.

I believe there is an open spot on the 40 man roster right now.

Law11
06-04-2007, 11:16 AM

Who's our WSI pitcher...:D:

sox1970
06-04-2007, 11:17 AM

Ozuna was placed on the 60 day DL. The roster is at 40.

Chicken Dinner
06-04-2007, 11:18 AM
I still don't understand why 2 AAA guys getting brought up is going to save this season. The problems are much deeper here. :(:

FielderJones
06-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Who's our WSI pitcher...:D:

That would be me. I could probably walk as many guys as MacDougal, groove as many pitches, and do it for a lot less salary. :tongue:

southside rocks
06-04-2007, 11:22 AM
I still don't understand why 2 AAA guys getting brought up is going to save this season. The problems are much deeper here. :(:

I don't think two AAA guys will save the season, but at least they will keep me from having to see Aardsma and MacDougal continually **** up and blow games.

You're right, there are other problems that are very serious, and their names are Dye, Thome, Konerko, and Crede. Those problems can't be addressed by using minor-league options, though.

oeo
06-04-2007, 11:23 AM

Let's see:
1)I don't think you make a trade this early.
2)No one is going to make a trade this early.

Bukvich and Prinz are veteran guys, hopefully we can catch lightning in a bottle. If not, I think MacDougal will be back to himself. At least his problems are just mechanical, and not velocity/movement issues. I don't think there's any way you give up on MacDougal this early.

As long as Bukvich and Prinz throw strikes, that's already better than what we've been getting, so I'll take it.

palehozenychicty
Hopefully Mac can fix what ails him. As for AAArdsma, he needs another offspeed pitch. Quick

FielderJones

It's less a matter of saving the season as removing two utterly ineffective pitchers from the roster. As I mentioned above, I could do the job MacDougal was doing for a lot less money. Give someone else a chance.

MagicNumber22
06-04-2007, 11:28 AM
Anything is better than AAAardsma and MMac.

Maybe these kids can do what Day has done so far: get outs.

And isn't MMac out of options? How long is the timetable to clear waivers before he's officially in AAA? Can someone explain this?

spiffie
06-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Let's see:
1)I don't think you make a trade this early.
2)No one is going to make a trade this early.

Bukvich and Prinz are veteran guys, hopefully we can catch lightning in a bottle. If not, I think MacDougal will be back to himself. At least his problems are just mechanical, and not velocity/movement issues. I don't think there's any way you give up on MacDougal this early.

As long as Bukvich and Prinz throw strikes, that's already better than what we've been getting, so I'll take it.
Even if MacDougal gets back to himself, that's not all that impressive. We're hoping and waiting for him to repeat 2006, but that was a year where his ERA was nearly two points lower than any other year in his career.

Chicken Dinner
06-04-2007, 11:34 AM
I don't think two AAA guys will save the season, but at least they will keep me from having to see Aardsma and MacDougal continually **** up and blow games.

You're right, there are other problems that are very serious, and their names are Dye, Thome, Konerko, and Crede. Those problems can't be addressed by using minor-league options, though.

The offense is definitely the biggest problem and you are correct that these problems can't be addressed by monor leaguers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/aggregate?statType=batting&group=9

DrCrawdad
06-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Some artistically inclined Sox fan should design tee-shirts for the Sox bullpen and send the entire lot of the pen (including the guys sent to Charlotte) a free shirt.

ARSONISTS INC.

oeo
06-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Even if MacDougal gets back to himself, that's not all that impressive. We're hoping and waiting for him to repeat 2006, but that was a year where his ERA was nearly two points lower than any other year in his career.

Well he carried his success into this year. I don't expect a 1.55 ERA, I expect strikes and an ERA close to 3. IMO, it's not out of the question...I don't expect Thornton to go back to his career normal numbers.

DickAllen72
06-04-2007, 11:45 AM
The offense is definitely the biggest problem and you are correct that these problems can't be addressed by monor leaguers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/aggregate?statType=batting&group=9
Exactly. Either Thome, Dye, Konerko and Crede step up NOW, or replace any one or combination of them with some major league talent.

The good news is that with their track records one can reasonably expect them to produce. The bad news is if they don't very soon it will be too late.

Having all four of them in the lineup really slows a team down. It would be nice to get a little speed in there. Not necessarily a big base stealer, but some players that can stretch long singles into doubles, go from first to third on hits to RF, score from second base on a single, and put the ball in play with a guy on 3B and less than two outs. In other words, solid major league baseball players.

eriqjaffe
06-04-2007, 11:46 AM
At least Prinz comes equipped with his very own music, although it might be a bit too esoteric.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQkjx2J-AAw

Either way, I'm emailing Brooks Boyer!

Hitmen77
06-04-2007, 11:47 AM

And isn't MMac out of options? How long is the timetable to clear waivers before he's officially in AAA? Can someone explain this?

I heard he has one more option left.

soxtalker
06-04-2007, 11:48 AM
Officially reported on Whitesox.com (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070604&content_id=2004279&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

So, this means that Mac cleared waivers. No other team was willing to take the risk that the 3-year contract imposed.

SoxxoS
06-04-2007, 11:50 AM
So, this means that Mac cleared waivers. No other team was willing to take the risk that the 3-year contract imposed.

He had one more option...NOW he is out of them.

veeter
06-04-2007, 12:10 PM
The bottom line is, they couldn't do worse if they tried. Good luck to the new guys.

balke
06-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Unless traded, I think Macdougal will be back. I don't know what happened to him, I thought he might've been our closer someday if Jenks got too pricey.

DumpJerry
06-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Refer to the premise of this (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=88420) thread. Owens has worked out nicely, so far.

JB98
06-04-2007, 12:24 PM

Mac has one option left, and it just got used. Because of his MLB service time, he had to clear revokable waivers before they could send him down. Given that Mac is signed through 2009 and has a fairly pricey contract for a middle reliever, and given his recent struggles, the chances of anyone claiming him were slim. Even if someone did claim him, the Sox would have the option of pulling him back off waivers and keeping him in the bigs.

Flight #24
06-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Mac has one option left, and it just got used. Because of his MLB service time, he had to clear revokable waivers before they could send him down. Given that Mac is signed through 2009 and has a fairly pricey contract for a middle reliever, and given his recent struggles, the chances of anyone claiming him were slim. Even if someone did claim him, the Sox would have the option of pulling him back off waivers and keeping him in the bigs.

By my understanding of options, that means they can keep him in the minors this year, but can't send him next year without the irrevocable waivers. However, they don't use up any more options if they call him up and send him back down during 2007.

That conflict with anyone who knows better's understanding?

thomas35forever
06-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Count this as one of the crosstown trades that went bust for both sides.

soxfanatlanta
06-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Even if someone did claim him, the Sox would have the option of pulling him back off waivers and keeping him in the bigs.

I hope nobody does claim him; if he sorts things out, he would be a good asset. My only concern is that someone like a Mazzoni, or a Duncan think that they can fix him right quick, and claim him; that would be awkward for everybody.

jenn2080
06-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Unless traded, I think Macdougal will be back. I don't know what happened to him, I thought he might've been our closer someday if Jenks got too pricey.

I hope Mac becomes nasty again. I loved MacDougal. He was solid. Hopefully he gets into a groove again.

Sargeant79
06-04-2007, 12:40 PM

Not yet. Carlos Vasquez has been very good in AA and AAA so far this year. The short term returns are bad on both ends. Long term, maybe we got a good major league reliever out of the deal. Look at this trade again in another year or so.

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-04-2007, 12:41 PM
I was expecting only one move, but at least it shows the Sox are still trying.

JB98
06-04-2007, 12:44 PM
I hope nobody does claim him; if he sorts things out, he would be a good asset. My only concern is that someone like a Mazzoni, or a Duncan think that they can fix him right quick, and claim him; that would be awkward for everybody.

But like I said, if one of those clubs did try to claim him, the Sox could pull him back. There is minimal risk for the Sox in this situation.

JB98
06-04-2007, 12:47 PM
By my understanding of options, that means they can keep him in the minors this year, but can't send him next year without the irrevocable waivers. However, they don't use up any more options if they call him up and send him back down during 2007.

That conflict with anyone who knows better's understanding?

I think your understanding is right. They can move him up and down 100 times this year if they want, and it only costs them one option. Of course, each time they send him down, they have to put him through revokable waivers.Next year, Mac will be out of options.

Chrisaway
06-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Good thing I didnt go thru with that Aardsma Jersey.
Link

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070604&content_id=2004279&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

EDIT:Sorry didnt see that someone posted it already.

oeo
06-04-2007, 01:13 PM

Aardsma is 25, Cotts is 27. There's still time for both to succeed. Just because Aardsma got sent down does not mean he's a AAA pitcher the rest of his career; same with Cotts.

oeo
06-04-2007, 01:33 PM
I think another thing that these changes can do is possibly light a fire underneath Masset/Logan. Now they know that Ozzie/KW were not messing around, and they will get sent down if they do not get the job done. Masset seems like a guy that would succeed under that kind of pressure.

sox1970
06-04-2007, 01:43 PM
I think another thing that these changes can do is possibly light a fire underneath Masset/Logan. Now they know that Ozzie/KW were not messing around, and they will get sent down if they do not get the job done. Masset seems like a guy that would succeed under that kind of pressure.

I think their limited time in the majors is enough incentive to throw strikes.

I like Masset's make up, but based on his two long outings this year (including the start), I think he may be better off at AAA starting. We'll see how this goes.

jabrch
06-04-2007, 02:06 PM
(I didn't see this anywhere...)

1) Aardsma to Charlotte
2) McDougal to Charlotte
3) Bukvich to Chicago
4) Prinz to Chicago
5) Ozuna to the 60 Day DL

Viva Medias B's
06-04-2007, 02:10 PM

1) Aardsma to Charlotte
2) McDougal to Charlotte
3) Bukvich to Chicago
4) Prinz to Chicago
5) Ozuna to the 60 Day DL

Fixed it for you.

cleanwsox
06-04-2007, 02:14 PM

:rolling:

Law11
06-04-2007, 02:22 PM
When did all this go down... Thanks for the heads up..:D:

Irishsox1
06-04-2007, 02:22 PM
This team has a double problem, an offense that isn't hitting and no bullpen (except Jenks). So, until the offense gets clicking, the pitching is going to have to carry the load. Kenny deseves most of the critisim because he traded for Sisco, MacDougal and Aardsma and they have been busts. Kenny is an aggresive and economic smart GM, but everyone knew Sisco stunk, Aardsma wasn't good with the cubs and MacDougal lost it a couple of years ago. I guess Kenny thought Cooper could fix a couple of Fiats.

Now they have to patch a new bullpen together midseason and hope for the best. The offense should improve, but for the Sox to make a run, the bullpen has to get better right away.

Or, they can hang on for a while, linger in 3rd/4th place then dump the free agents and rebuild. At least they won the World Series because for the longest time, the Sox would make a run, not win it all then dump everyone with nothing to show.

SoxxoS
06-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Sox just acquired Roberto Alomar for Royce Ring

(didnt see it anywhere):D:

Pods4455
06-04-2007, 02:29 PM
well...as far as macdougal and aardsma..they were told right after the game yesterday.

Iwritecode
06-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Kenny is an aggresive and economic smart GM, but everyone knew Sisco stunk, Aardsma wasn't good with the cubs and MacDougal lost it a couple of years ago. I guess Kenny thought Cooper could fix a couple of Fiats.

Macdougal was pretty good in 05 and 06. Aardsma was average last year. I don't think anyone expected them to fall off the way they have this year. Sisco is still fairly young.

sox1970
06-04-2007, 02:39 PM
You know your bullpen is in trouble when #62 and #63 get called up on the same day.

letsgosox1592
06-04-2007, 02:54 PM
were have u heard this from and if so what is the 5th roster move. aardsma and macdougal gone and bukhich or whateva and prinz up....whats the 5th move?

sox1970
06-04-2007, 02:56 PM
were have u heard this from and if so what is the 5th roster move. aardsma and macdougal gone and bukhich or whateva and prinz up....whats the 5th move?

Ozuna moved to the 60-day DL.

maggsmaggs
06-04-2007, 02:57 PM
Pablo moves from the 15-day DL to the 60-day DL. I believe it opens a spot on the 40-man roster by doing this as well.

sox1970
06-04-2007, 02:57 PM
Pablo moves from the 15-day DL to the 60-day DL. I believe it opens a spot on the 40-man roster by doing this as well.

Yes, they were at 39 before today. Pablo was removed from the 40 man and Prinz and Bukvich were added, for a total of 40.

RCWHITESOX
06-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Macdougal was pretty good in 05 and 06. Aardsma was average last year. I don't think anyone expected them to fall off the way they have this year. Sisco is still fairly young.

Watching the Angels game Sunday the announcers mentioned hearing the Sox were talking about Crede for Figgins and Shields . They also said they were rumored to moving Buehrle to St Louis for Wainwright and Flores. Just for what its worth They also mentioned the Yankee rumor. It all makes to much sense so it probably won't happen.

DickAllen72
06-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Watching the Angels game Sunday the announcers mentioned hearing the Sox were talking about Crede for Figgins and Shields .

I'd do that one.

Hokiesox
06-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Tell me Buehrle can fetch us more than Wainright and Flores. Please.

CHISOXFAN13
06-04-2007, 03:39 PM
Sox just acquired Roberto Alomar for Royce Ring

(didnt see it anywhere):D:

:)

Lprof
06-04-2007, 03:45 PM

Why? The only bullpen guys I would keep on this team is Masset, Thorton, and Jenks.Masset has an ERA over 7; why would you keep him?

Lprof
06-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Count this as one of the crosstown trades that went bust for both sides.I'm not so sure; apparently Cotts has pitched rather well as a starter down at AAA; it will be interesting to see if he can do that at the major league level.

Chicken Dinner
06-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Masset has an ERA over 7; why would you keep him?

I agree, what's so special about Masset. He made 1 spot start against the Cubs and everyone thinks he's untouchable. He ain't that good.

thomas35forever
06-04-2007, 03:52 PM
I agree, what's so special about Masset. He made 1 spot start against the Cubs and everyone thinks he's untouchable. He ain't that good.
Maybe so, but he's non-sucky enough to stay up here, plus he gets the ball if one of our starters needs to sit.

Chicken Dinner
06-04-2007, 04:03 PM
Maybe so, but he's non-sucky enough to stay up here, plus he gets the ball if one of our starters needs to sit.

25.1 innings, 32 hits, 16 walks (that's 48 baserunners in 25.1 innings), and 21 runs. Aardsma has better numbers.

TheCommander
06-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Watching the Angels game Sunday the announcers mentioned hearing the Sox were talking about Crede for Figgins and Shields . They also said they were rumored to moving Buehrle to St Louis for Wainwright and Flores. Just for what its worth They also mentioned the Yankee rumor. It all makes to much sense so it probably won't happen.

Hey dude,what's the score?

pdr
06-04-2007, 10:07 PM
I'm still amazed Ryan Bukvich comes to major league baseball 40 years after his football career ended.

http://www.footballcardgallery.com/pics/1965-Philadelphia/18.jpg

oeo
06-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Watching the Angels game Sunday the announcers mentioned hearing the Sox were talking about Crede for Figgins and Shields .

As much as I love Crede, I'd pull the trigger if I were Kenny. You don't get much better when it comes to set-up men, and Figgins' speed would be nice to have.

TDog
06-04-2007, 11:13 PM

Masset has been inconsistent. He pitched well in spelling an injured Buehrle that was nearly as impressive as his spot start. Stats, especially ERAs, for relief pitchers are deceptive. They don't pitch a great deal of innings, and the bad outings skew their numbers.

Aardsma and MacDougal were much more consistent than Masset in that going back to before Masset's spot start, they were always, or nearly always bad.

If you want to send down all inconsistent relievers, take a look at how Thornton has been doing lately. He leads the team in blown saves, and he apparently didn't look very good tonight.

UserNameBlank
06-04-2007, 11:43 PM
Masset has an ERA over 7; why would you keep him?

I'm not so sure; apparently Cotts has pitched rather well as a starter down at AAA; it will be interesting to see if he can do that at the major league level.
You're on a roll here. You don't want Masset around but you you think Cotts has a shot at being a major league starter? Wow. Cotts has nothing, nada, zilch. Cotts as a ML starter doesn't make it out of the 3rd, ever. If our team can hit him, just imagine what a major league lineup would do.

UserNameBlank
06-04-2007, 11:46 PM
He probably needs to go back to being a starter. He looks much like McCarthy did out of the pen last year in that when he can't get his breaking ball over the hitters sit on his fastball and he is hit. Masset does have a much better fastball than McCarthy though so he should be better when he's in trouble, but Nick needs that hook to survive. When he has it he can be dominant.

Chicken Dinner
06-04-2007, 11:57 PM
Every time I see Masset throw out of the pen (witch excludes his spot start), everyone is making contact. He gives up a lot of fouls and then the hits start.

SoxxoS
06-05-2007, 06:50 AM
If you look at Masset's career numbers - He just isn't that good. He may look like Bobby Jenks, but he doesn't come close to Jenks' stuff.

itsnotrequired
06-05-2007, 07:46 AM
If you look at Masset's career numbers - He just isn't that good. He may look like Bobby Jenks, but he doesn't come close to Jenks' stuff.

Career stats in the minors:

115.1 IP, 3.67 ERA, 4 HR, 48 BB, 105 K, .261 BAA

Doesn't seem that bad to me. And why is he being compared to Jenks?:?:

salty99
06-05-2007, 09:02 AM
I think Masset will be a good #4-5 type starter, but if he continues to give up runs he will be in AAA.

SoxxoS
06-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Career stats in the minors:

115.1 IP, 3.67 ERA, 4 HR, 48 BB, 105 K, .261 BAA

Doesn't seem that bad to me. And why is he being compared to Jenks?:?:

I dont know where you got those numbers :?:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/M/Nick-Masset.shtml

According to that link, he actually had a career 4.35 ERA in the minors...giving up 700 hits in 634 innings - with 449 K's.

He gets compared to Jenks by some people b/c of his physique and velocity on his fastball and 12 to 6 breaking curve...but the batters dont agree with that assessment, as he doesn't miss many bats.

I just dont think he is a starting pitcher in the bigs - I see him as a long relief guy at best.