PDA

View Full Version : Interleague Play?

bahn1225
06-03-2007, 09:38 PM
My question is this:

If the American League and the National League can play each other,
why doesn't the International League and the Pacific Coast League play each other?

I live about a hour and a half from Des Moines (cubs) and they never play Charlotte (SOX).

BTW, it also stinks that the Midwest League (A) no longer has a SOX representative.:whiner:

Nellie_Fox
06-04-2007, 01:14 AM
Probably travel costs.

Foulke You
06-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Probably travel costs.
I think you are correct. I am a Chicago Wolves fan and most AHL teams don't have the travel budgets to play a lot of games outside their own division which is why about 75% of the Wolves games are against their own division's teams near the midwest. If it is like this in minor league hockey, I can imagine that budgets for minor league baseball teams are very similar and they just can't afford to fly their teams all over the place.

cws05champ
06-04-2007, 01:23 PM
My question is this:

If the American League and the National League can play each other,
why doesn't the International League and the Pacific Coast League play each other?

I live about a hour and a half from Des Moines (cubs) and they never play Charlotte (SOX).

BTW, it also stinks that the Midwest League (A) no longer has a SOX representative.:whiner:

Because Bud Selig doesn't run the Minor Leagues!! Thank God!

Paulwny
06-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Probably travel costs.

I don't know this for a fact, but I believe the Buffalo Bisons travel by bus to opposing stadiums.

MRM
06-04-2007, 02:20 PM
Probably travel costs.

I don't think so. I live in the Nashville area. The PCL has teams in Sacramento, Las Vegas, Salt Lake, Portland, Fresno, etc. All MUCH further from here than Charlotte. If it was a travel issue the leagues would be more regional.

I was spoiled for the few years Nashville was the Sox AAA home, but now I never get to see them even though they are much closer to here than the majority of PCL teams.

MRM
06-04-2007, 02:29 PM
Because Bud Selig doesn't run the Minor Leagues!! Thank God!

Yes he does. MLB dictates virtually everything to the minor leagues. From stadium requirements at different levels to the rules they play under, MLB has final authority.

downstairs
06-04-2007, 02:54 PM
I don't know this for a fact, but I believe the Buffalo Bisons travel by bus to opposing stadiums.

I believe most if not all minor league teams do. Remember Jordan buying Birmingham a tricked-out first-class bus when he was there?

Paulwny
06-04-2007, 03:40 PM
I believe most if not all minor league teams do. Remember Jordan buying Birmingham a tricked-out first-class bus when he was there?

This is probably true for IL teams. Teams in the PCL are spread out from the mid west to western cities. They may do some flying . If I remember correctly , when the American Association was being broken up the IL took teams that were close to their existing teams so that they could retain a "non fly" league.

MRM
06-04-2007, 05:46 PM

Yes, but that was a AA southern league team where all of the teams are within a few hundred miles of ea. other and where they play 5 games series.

Jordan didn't buy that bus, either. That's one of the most over told myths about Jordans baseball career. He allowed the charter company Birmingham used to use his likeness in return for an upgraded bus for the team. Neither he nor the Barons ever owned that bus, which the Charter co. sold a couple of years later as a curiosity.

MRM
06-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Yes, but that was a AA southern league team where all of the teams are within a few hundred miles of ea. other and where they play 5 games series.

Jordan didn't buy that bus, either. That's one of the most over told myths about Jordans baseball career. He allowed the charter company Birmingham used to use his likeness in return for an upgraded bus for the team. Neither he nor the Barons ever owned that bus, which the Charter co. sold a couple of years later as a curiosity.

An interesting note on the Jordan season. That year Nashville had an AA team and the AAA team. If you've never been to the Sounds (Nashville) stadium, the only way in or out of the visitors clubhouse is through the dugout. Dumbest thing I've ever seen in a ball park. Anyhow, when the Barons came to play the Nashville Express they would drive that bus right onto the field and up to the dugout steps and drape a tarp between the dugout and the bus door with tons of security around so Jordan could get on without being mobbed by the fans.

I've been to many hundreds of ballgames at all levels from A-Ball up to the Majors, of course, and I've never seen anything like the attention Jordan recieved. I didn't know 10k fans could GET that loud. When he came to bat you'd have thought Babe Ruth himself was stepping into the box. Jordan didn't play in one of the games here that year and the fans went nuts all game long shouting for him to be put in the game and demanding refunds. The Express were only using the Sounds park for a year while they were in the process of moving cities so they couldn't draw flies except when Jordan was in town. The "fans" definately didn't take kindly to NOT being able to see him (He never left the clubhouse that day).