PDA

View Full Version : *Official* "We had our opportunities" 6/3/07 Postgame Thread

Viva Medias B's
06-03-2007, 03:15 PM
This just can't keep happening. It just can't.

BeviBall!
06-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Good Lord.

Kwrubac
1-6 on this road trip and we had a lead in most of them...this is pathetic baseball...

bryPt
ugh.

someone, please, remove this broken record on the turntable, it is getting rediculous.

RallyBowl
That was craptastic. Who did they send down for Day?

rowand33
1-6 on the road trip.

Had a lead in all 7 games.

I wish our players would try.

ilsox7
A Monday home game after this road trip? It's gonna be ugly out there tomorrow.

whitesoxfan
We're just not that great of a team. 5 hits is unacceptable through 9 innings. The bullpen pisses away another game.

delben91
06-03-2007, 03:17 PM
You figure the law of averages has to balance out eventually right? I mean, the bullpen can't blow EVERY game right?

Right? :?:

BeviBall!
Malaise. Same song, different day.

lowestofthelow
Q1: At any time did you think we would hold on to the 3-0 lead?
A: No

Q2: At any time did you think we could drive home AJ in the 9th?
A: No

Pretty much sums up the season.

Viva Medias B's
The calls to Rongey ought to be fun.

hi im skot
06-03-2007, 03:18 PM
http://www.wkrn.com/files/images/ap/us/2007/06/kevorkian_s_release.jpg

"Hey there, everyone!"

nsolo
06-03-2007, 03:18 PM

It just might get worse. KW has a temper, and he might end up cutting off his nose to spite his face, since he doesn't strike me a one to accept any blame for our terrible bullpen.:angry:

HotelWhiteSox
06-03-2007, 03:19 PM
what a stupid ****ing team

delben91
what a stupid ****ing team

Well done.

IndianWhiteSox
That was craptastic. Who did they send down for Day?

Sisco was the guy they sent down

By the way, this is getting really sad right now. I mean it's almost like this team just can't bring themselves to play anymore. Especially the bullpen for that matter. They went from lights out to just atrocious in a span of a few weeks.

sox1970
Masset has had two good outings, but for the mostpart he's been getting a free pass. He can take his 7.11 ERA to Charlotte too. Maybe convert him back to a starter.

Either way, when the Sox start the series against New York, I don't want Masset, MacDougal, or Aardsma on this team.

Time to make a statement, Kenny.

downstairs
06-03-2007, 03:20 PM

Yes it can. We're a 4th place team. This will happen pretty much 1 out of every 2 games.

Kwrubac

"Hey there, everyone!"

lol didn't he just got out of jail...maybe Kenny needs to get him on the phone quick...

hose
Ground Hog's Day:o:

ViPeRx007
At least they upped their batting average as a team against opposing bullpen pitchers. That 1 hit out of 65 (or whatever ungodly number it is) is a positive to take away from this game.

sox1970
06-03-2007, 03:21 PM
...Also this offense is a piece of ****.

BeviBall!
06-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Yes it can. We're a 4th place team. This will happen pretty much 1 out of every 2 games.

If we're even lucky enough to have a lead to blow.

Kwrubac
06-03-2007, 03:22 PM
Ground Hog's Day:o:

I mean seriously...what is there to say...its pretty much the same thing every day...As soon as the bullpen gives up the lead the game is over...I don't know why I bother to watch...Maybe I'm naive and actually still have hope they can come from behind and win...

nsolo
06-03-2007, 03:22 PM

"Hey there, everyone!"
:tongue:
Who goes first? Rock, paper, scissors?

NSSoxFan
06-03-2007, 03:23 PM

Win as a team, lose as a team. This particular one sucks right now, and might do so for the rest of the season. The season is slipping away and it has been for the past two weeks, there isn't much time to switch directions. I'm so ****ing pissed off at this ****ing team.

RallyBowl
:tealtutor: At least they upped their batting average as a team against opposing bullpen pitchers. That 1 hit out of 65 (or whatever ungodly number it is) is a positive to take away from this game.

It burns my eyes almost as much as the tears.

IlliniSox4Life
1-66 against bullpens. ****ing pathetic.

IndianWhiteSox

You can always bitch about the offense in this thread:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87065

I hate Greg Walker! The sooner the better for this ball club.

TheOldRoman
06-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Masset has had two good outings, but for the mostpart he's been getting a free pass. He can take his 7.11 ERA to Charlotte too. Maybe convert him back to a starter.

Either way, when the Sox start the series against New York, I don't want Masset, MacDougal, or Aardsma on this team.

OK, but we have to send down Thornton and his team leading blown saves, too. Hey, the offense has been just as bad as the bullpen, so lets send them all down, too.

Ok, here is our list of people to send down:
MacDougal
Aardsma
Masset
Thornton
Thome
Dye
Konerko
AJ
Iguchi
Crede
Uribe
Mackowiak
Cintron

IlliniSox4Life
06-03-2007, 03:24 PM
12-115 in the 5th inning and beyond.

wassagstdu
06-03-2007, 03:25 PM
0 for 62 against bullpen pitchers. Two straight no-hitters plus. This is not just a fluke. I suggest that the Sox try unplugging their video unit that they use to prepare against opposing pitchers. Maybe they are over-prepared for starters, too much looking for a particular pitch rather than seeing the ball and hitting the ball. Then that attitude could carry over to bullpens against whom they do not prepare as well, so they are not ready to see it-hit it, and not ready to sit on a pitch. Over-preparation makes it too hard for them to adjust. Just a thought. Would also explain why they are helpless against guys who have never won two games in the same year but able to handle good pitchers (sometimes).

hose
This has to be rock bottom .....I hope:o:

Corlose 15

"Hey there, everyone!"

He looks like a demented Mr. Rogers.

IlliniSox4Life
OK, but we have to send down Thornton and his team leading blown saves, too. Hey, the offense has been just as bad as the bullpen, so lets send them all down, too.

MacDougal
Aardsma
Masset
Thornton
Thome
Dye
AJ
Iguchi
Crede
Uribe
Mackowiak
Cintron

If they could all clear waivers I'd do it for a couple of games just to make a point.

ViPeRx007
06-03-2007, 03:26 PM
:tealtutor:

It burns my eyes almost as much as the tears.

Sorry, I actually fixed it before you mentioned it...I thought it seemed a bit more eye-killing than normal.

Viva Medias B's
They better make moves Monday morning. If they play like this on this upcoming homestand, angry fans' boos will drown out the cicadas' noise.

IndianWhiteSox

At this rate, one can only hope.
:(:

Navarro's Talent
What a bad game....again.

I really don't know what else to say at this point. :?:

ilsox7
06-03-2007, 03:27 PM
I say cancel their charter from Toronto and make them walk home! Whoever gets here by game time gets to play.

RallyBowl

No, it doesn't. I think it's going to get a little worse before it gets better.

But it is in fact always darkest before dawn.:cool:

ZombieRob

MacDougal
Aardsma
Masset
Thornton
Thome
Dye
AJ
Iguchi
Crede
Uribe
Mackowiak
Cintron
You forgot the swift, sweet swingin,Paulie Konerko on that list.:smile:

IndianWhiteSox
12-115 in the 5th inning and beyond.

Gee I wonder how that happened?

PeteWard
He looks like a demented Mr. Rogers.

I always thought Mr Rogers was pretty damn demented looking himself!

BeviBall!
06-03-2007, 03:28 PM
I say cancel their charter from Toronto and make them walk home! Whoever gets here by game time gets to play.

Half-price night with full-price booing.

Kwrubac
06-03-2007, 03:28 PM
On the plus side it should be much easier to get tickets to watch these bums...Granted it won't be much of a baseball game, but it does have lots of comedy!

RallyBowl
06-03-2007, 03:29 PM
You know what we need? Rowand and one of the Alomars. Or both.

ilsox7

Yep. It's gonna be an ugly one. The only thing that may save them is Yankee hate and an earlier start than normal. But I expect the team to be boo-ed loudly when they take the field tomorrow.

wassagstdu

Seriously, I am not sure I would fly right now if I were the Sox.

Tragg
06-03-2007, 03:30 PM
This series epitomizes our season: good starting pitching, but the pen blows 2 leads; weak hitting; unable to get a runner home from 3rd with less than 2 outs; and for a pinch hitter, the best we can find on our bench is a slap hitting cintron. (the latter 2 featured in the 9th inning). And then the bottom line - lose 3 out of 4 to a bad baseball team called the Blue Jays.

ONe of the key arguments for loading up a team with free swinging slap hitters is that they can do things like move a runner over a base conistently. Oh well.

KyWhiSoxFan
Get rid of Mackowiak. When a team has him playing everday that means you must be a .500 team (or worse). There were plenty of failures again today, but he has to drive the ball in the ninth to get that run in. He's just terrible. The team would be far better off with Ryan Sweeney in left.

TheOldRoman
0 for 62 against bullpen pitchers. Two straight no-hitters plus. This is not just a fluke. I suggest that the Sox try unplugging their video unit that they use to prepare against opposing pitchers. Maybe they are over-prepared for starters, too much looking for a particular pitch rather than seeing the ball and hitting the ball. Then that attitude could carry over to bullpens against whom they do not prepare as well, so they are not ready to see it-hit it, and not ready to sit on a pitch. Over-preparation makes it too hard for them to adjust. Just a thought. Would also explain why they are helpless against guys who have never won two games in the same year but able to handle good pitchers (sometimes).
You realize you are talking about Walkerball, right? The hitting coach who said, about Johan Santana "He is so good that you can't prepare for him at all. There is no way to prepare for him or gameplan against him, so you just gotta go up there and take hacks."
You are talking about the coach who's philosophy is "these are big league players, who am I to change them? They should just watch tape of themselves from a time when they were hitting good, and try to do that." Lots of people need to lose their jobs between now and 7:00 tomorrow night.

NSSoxFan

I also need a gunshot wound to the face.

Kwrubac
06-03-2007, 03:31 PM
:kneeslap:

Carl Everett, EL Duque, Ross Gload...the list is endless...Clearly that would solve all of our problems!

Blueprint1
This might be the worst I have seen us play since the late 90's.

ilsox7

Well, as long as the pilot who starts the flight doesn't hand it over to his relief pilot, they should be fine.

itsnotrequired

Monday's Yankee game is not half-price.

RallyBowl
06-03-2007, 03:32 PM

If there was a crash they probably couldn't even hit the ground.

NSSoxFan
Get rid of Mackowiak. When a team has him playing everday that means you must be a .500 team (or worse). There were plenty of failures again today, but he has to drive the ball in the ninth to get that run in. He's just terrible. The team would be far better off with Ryan Sweeney in left.

Spread the blame around to the rest of the team. Mackowiak's solo HR would have been a 2-run HR if it wasn't for AJ trying to take second on a ball that bounced in front of the catcher. Mack should have brought in AJ from 3rd in the 9th, but he didn't. I can think of a lot of other players that I would blame for this loss than Rob.

itsnotrequired
This might be the worst I have seen us play since the late 90's.

Eh, there was some stretches in 2004 that were pretty crappy.

letsgosox1592
They better make moves Monday morning. If they play like this on this upcoming homestand, angry fans' boos will drown out the cicadas' noise.

im going tomorrow to the game and if the bulpen blows one more lead i am going to be pissed. ill be the first one booing and the first one leaving.

BeviBall!
06-03-2007, 03:33 PM

I know. Losing most of those half-price nights was the first sign 2007 was going to be a stinker.

Kwrubac
I know. Losing most of those half-price nights was the first sign 2007 was going to be a stinker.

plus no dollar dog thursdays!

IndianWhiteSox

Why stop there? Lets bring back Lance Johnson and Tim Raines as well to play CF and LF.

DickAllen72
06-03-2007, 03:34 PM
The middle of the Sox batting order is their main problem. Scoring three to four runs a game isn't going to cut it no matter if the bullpen pitches well or not.

So far: Thome sucks. Dye sucks. Konerko sucks. Crede sucks. If these guys don't start earning their money, the Sox don't have a chance. Right now I wouldn't bat an eye if the Sox traded any one or combination of them.

And before someone brings up Thome's home run today, how about all the other at bats? How many times do we have to watch Thome, Dye and Konerko come up in an inning and come away empty in a close game?

Bitch about the bullpen all you want, but the offense is the main reason the Sox are off to such a poor start this season.

NSSoxFan
06-03-2007, 03:36 PM
Bitch about the bullpen all you want, but the offense is the main reason the Sox are off to such a poor start this season.

It's the bullpen and the offense, without a doubt. Our starting pitching hasn't been great since April but it has been very solid. We suck right now, the whole team does.

KyWhiSoxFan
06-03-2007, 03:36 PM
You realize you are talking about Walkerball, right? The hitting coach who said, about Johan Santana "He is so good that you can't prepare for him at all. There is no way to prepare for him or gameplan against him, so you just gotta go up there and take hacks."
You are talking about the coach who's philosophy is "these are big league players, who am I to change them? They should just watch tape of themselves from a time when they were hitting good, and try to do that." Lots of people need to lose their jobs between now and 7:00 tomorrow night.

The first guy they shoud fire is Walker. Enough already. Either fire all the hitters or the hitting coach. Do something. Everyone looks unprepared at the plate.

Maybe our advance scouts should also be fired. Whoever writes the book on opposing pitchers is not doing their job. The Sox are lost up there.

I'm guessing the advance scouts go home after the sixth inning, and they never see anyone's relievers.

sox1970
06-03-2007, 03:37 PM

Eh....I agree with you to a point, but a solid bullpen wins the close games that winning teams win. A rock solid bullpen gives the Sox 6 more wins at least, which would have them right there.

But I'll agree the offense is awful too.

letsgosox1592
06-03-2007, 03:38 PM

yes i do not understand why the sox dont stay with sweeney. terrero and mackowiak are backups while the future(probably in like a week when they ship Dye somewhere) is him and let him get playing time. and keep owens up here even when erstad is back. for 2008 this is the lineup i see.

LF jerry owens
CF Darin Erstad
DH Jim Thome
1B Paul Konerko
C A.J.
2nd Tad Iguchi
RF Ryan Sweeney
3rd Josh Fields
SS Uribe/Cintron

Rotation

Contrearas
Garland
Vasquez
Danks
Gio Gonzalez

Bulpen

Jenks
Thorton
Masset
Dewon Day
Boone Logan
some one for mock up duty

TheOldRoman
06-03-2007, 03:39 PM

I bolded this so everyone would read it. This should be on the Soxogram right now. If not for our bullpen being good at the beginning of the year, we would be 15 under .500.

Milkman43
How many times do they have a runner on third with less than one out and our 3-4-5 hitters come up and leave them right there. Usually all with strike-outs. How about putting a guy in between them who can actually put the bat on the ball. Oh yeah, who the hell would that be?

spiffie
I would expect a nice smooth flight, but a terrible landing.

CHISOXFAN13
06-03-2007, 03:41 PM

He had a bat at bat, but you must have missed that home run. If you are going to get rid of people who can't execute, you should dump a hell of a lot more than Mackowiak.

kittle42
The only way this team wins games is if the Sox hire Dusty Baker, who subsequently pitches all his starters as many pitches as necessary to go right to Jenks.

They might as well just have one guy in the bullpen. How can 6/7 of your bullpen suck so ****ing bad?

SOXBOY
The team is the same as the teams form 2001-2004. HRs or nothing and mostly nothing. The middle of the line up is just bad. Once the Sox lose the lead the game is over. Kenning please just unloading(The kids can play partII).

kitekrazy
06-03-2007, 03:42 PM
You can always bitch about the offense in this thread:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87065

I hate Greg Walker! The sooner the better for this ball club.

But Cooper gets a free pass for the bullpen?

With the amount of veterans in the lineup I would hardly blame coaching.

letsgosox1592
06-03-2007, 03:43 PM
They might as well just have one guy in the bullpen. How can 6/7 of your bullpen suck so ****ing bad?

actually i would say 5 out of 7...i like what Dewon Day can bring to the table. he seems like a pitcher who is fearless and doesnt care what happens. all he wants to do is throw strikes.

Kwrubac
06-03-2007, 03:44 PM
I bolded this so everyone would read it. This should be on the Soxogram right now. If not for our bullpen being good at the beginning of the year, we would be 15 under .500.

Good pitching wins games...end of story...all you have to do is look at the Sox in the early 2000's when they had power hitters and no pitching...we saw how well that went... Simply put...I'm worried about both...but if the offense has to put up more than 5 runs a game in order to win when we have a lead...then the blame rests on the bullpen...

sox1970
06-03-2007, 03:45 PM
The team is the same as the teams form 2001-2004. HRs or nothing and mostly nothing. The middle of the line up is just bad. Once the Sox lose the lead the game is over. Kenning please just unloading(The kids can play partII).

Only 52 homers this year. They had 78 at this point last year.

Viva Medias B's
06-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Rongey saying that moves could very well be made.

ilsox7
06-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Rongey saying that moves could very well be made.

I hear the sun rises in the east, too.

letsgosox1592
06-03-2007, 03:46 PM
if the sox start to ship off like Dye, Crede, Iguchi, Buehrle and others...what would ur opinion be on it...i wonder how many people would get rid of their season tickets too...the sox would proabably back to the 20,000 a game and big market teams sold out.

TDog
06-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Spread the blame around to the rest of the team. Mackowiak's solo HR would have been a 2-run HR if it wasn't for AJ trying to take second on a ball that bounced in front of the catcher. Mack should have brought in AJ from 3rd in the 9th, but he didn't. I can think of a lot of other players that I would blame for this loss than Rob.

Not to mention that Thome should have brought in Owens from third with one out in the first inning. As deep as the infielders play Thome (I'm sure they didn't pull the infield in in the first inning), it was an easier RBI opportunity than Mackowiak's.

Nellie_Fox
06-03-2007, 03:49 PM
Kenning please just unloading(The kids can play partII).What? Who is Kenning, and what does this mean?

TheOldRoman
06-03-2007, 03:50 PM

No, but at least Cooper has had success in the past (2005) and earlier this year. Walker has been a failure.

And how can you not blame coaching when you have some damn good hitters sucking so bad? So Coop should be fired first because he is working with much, much less talent?

wealz07
Buehrle, Contreras, Garland, Thome, Crede, Dye, Iguchi, and Mackowiak should all be on the trading block. Get the best prospects you can for these guys and they'll have roughly $50M to spend in the offseason.

IndianWhiteSox

The reasons above are why Walker should get fired. When they hit well, it seems that they're not paying attention to anything and when they don't hit well, it seems that he's not doing anything to right this ship. Cooper on the other hand, is well out of luck right now. With everyone just being a bunch of bitches in that ****ing bullpen sans Bobby Jenks, Matt Thornton and as of this moment Dewon Day

NSSoxFan
06-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Not to mention that Thome should have brought in Owens from third with one out in the first inning. As deep as the infielders play Thome (I'm sure they didn't pull the infield in in the first inning), it was an easier RBI opportunity than Mackowiak's.

I think Ozzie has to think about going back to Konerko-Thome-Dye, especially if we're going to be successful playing small-ball with Owens and Iguchi. Thome is a lot easier to strike out than Konerko, well maybe not right now.

JB98
06-03-2007, 03:55 PM
if the sox start to ship off like Dye, Crede, Iguchi, Buehrle and others...what would ur opinion be on it...i wonder how many people would get rid of their season tickets too...the sox would proabably back to the 20,000 a game and big market teams sold out.

If this team is out of the race in July, I want KW to blow it up and start over. I will continue to go to the park, keep my season tickets and support the youth movement. If that's the right thing to do, KW should do it. I have ABSOLUTELY NO INTEREST in watching an underachieving veteran team trying to huff and puff its way to a .500 record. I repeat, ABSOLUTELY NO INTEREST. I can't be more forceful in that statement.

Lip Man 1
06-03-2007, 03:56 PM
The Beatles said it best so many years ago.

HELP! I need somebody...

HELP! Not just anybody...

HELP! You know I need someone.

H E L P!

http://wwws.mmjbdata.com/graphics/www.mmguide.musicmatch.com/album_image/amg/drg200/g281/g28172vq2ri.jpg

Lip

MRM
06-03-2007, 03:57 PM
The team is the same as the teams form 2001-2004. HRs or nothing and mostly nothing.

Maybe you missed it, but the Sox stole three bases today. Didn't make much difference in the outcome now, did it?

DickAllen72
06-03-2007, 03:58 PM
How many times do they have a runner on third with less than one out and our 3-4-5 hitters come up and leave them right there. Usually all with strike-outs.
With the obscene amount of money Thome and Konerko are making (and to a lesser extent Dye), we should be able to expect a lot more production from the middle of the order than we've been getting. Even average production from the middle and the Sox would be well over .500.

Law11
06-03-2007, 04:00 PM
I'm sorry, I love the Sox til death and always will but its time to call a spade a spade..

This season is a turning into a wash right before our eyes.. I'm done expecting anything and i wont be dissapointed.
I'll go to my remaining 3 games this year and just enjoy being at the park watching some ball, eating some food and just enjoying the evening..

There just is NO point at beating yourselves up and runing yours and your family's day over this anymore..

You just dont snap out of a funk like this in a game or a week. You need a solid 2-3 weeks of winning to right this, and going back to last season have shown nobody they have it in em..

Kwrubac
If this team is out of the race in July, I want KW to blow it up and start over. I will continue to go to the park, keep my season tickets and support the youth movement. If that's the right thing to do, KW should do it. I have ABSOLUTELY NO INTEREST in watching an underachieving veteran team trying to huff and puff its way to a .500 record. I repeat, ABSOLUTELY NO INTEREST. I can't be more forceful in that statement.

I completely agree...at least give me something to look forward too instead of this old tired looking team

TheOldRoman
Does anyone think for a second that our offense will wake up against a ****ty Yankees bullpen and the immortal Kei Igawa? After tomorrow night, ESPN will be talking about Igawa "dominating" and "finding his stuff".

This is the same **** as we saw last year, and something needs to be done. More often than not lately, we have been facing terrible pitching. Our hitters are terrible right now, but we keep hearing "they ran into him on the wrong night. Bull ****ing ****. I didn't tip my cap to Runelvys Hernandez, Mike Wood, or John Reihnecker last year, and I won't do the same for Dustin McGowan, Chad Durbin, Miguel Bastista, Jorge De La Rosa, and Robinson Tejeda this year. We are not running into horrible pitchers on their best days. We are running into horrible pitchers, on normal days, and making them look dominant.

TDog
06-03-2007, 04:04 PM
Buehrle, Contreras, Garland, Thome, Crede, Dye, Iguchi, and Mackowiak should all be on the trading block. Get the best prospects you can for these guys and they'll have roughly $50M to spend in the offseason.

If you're looking to replace three starting pitchers, a DH who hits for power and replace the starting right fielder and second baseman AND you're filling the holes that already exist on the team, that $50 million will only be a drop in the bucket. And Sox fans have made it clear they won't support the team at the game when they aren't winning. They even scorn Cubs fans for doing so.

Trade those guys for prospects and a successful White Sox season will be finishing ahead of the Royals, who could outdraw them.

Today the Sox were a strike away from winning (assuming Day pitches the same shutout innings and Jenks closes the game out -- a bit of a stretch, I know, but it was a close game the Sox should have won but for a two-out bases-loaded double). Everything is going wrong for this team, but White Sox baseball can get a lot worse than this, especially when the team rebuilds with prospects.

MRM
06-03-2007, 04:05 PM

It's not like the minors are overloaded with talent.

MarySwiss
06-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Didn't read the thread. Didn't need to.

TBGR--Ratfarts (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/../rwas/index.php?category=4&id=3385)

Kwrubac
06-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Does anyone think for a second that our offense will wake up against a ****ty Yankees bullpen and the immortal Kei Igawa? After tomorrow night, ESPN will be talking about Igawa "dominating" and "finding his stuff".

This is the same **** as we saw last year, and something needs to be done. More often than not lately, we have been facing terrible pitching. Our hitters are terrible right now, but we keep hearing "they ran into him on the wrong night. Bull ****ing ****. I didn't tip my cap to Runelvys Hernandez, Mike Wood, or John Reihnecker last year, and I won't do the same for Dustin McGowan, Chad Durbin, and Miguel Bastista, Jorge De La Rosa, and Robinson Tejeda this year. We are not running into horrible pitchers on their best days. We are running into horrible pitchers, and making them look dominant.

I'm by no means trying to pick a fight...but why does it seem that you are defending the bullpen at the expense of the offense...The bullpen being awful makes the offense struggles even more glaring, but I still think good pitching is the key to the success of any team...Granted we probably have the worst hitting and one of the worst bullpen in all of baseball...I just don't see how you can blame one, but not the other...Just because the bullpen was stellar in April and part of May is no reason to let them off the hook... They both suck plain and simple...Has the offense ever gotten out of the funk this year, no definitely not...but that does not excuse the bullpen being unable to hold onto leads and walking so many batters...

JB98
06-03-2007, 04:10 PM
It's not like the minors are overloaded with talent.

I'm aware of what we have in the minor leagues, thank you.

TheOldRoman
06-03-2007, 04:12 PM
I'm by no means trying to pick a fight...but why does it seem that you are defending the bullpen at the expense of the offense...The bullpen being awful makes the offense struggles even more glaring, but I still think good pitching is the key to the success of any team...Granted we probably have the worst hitting and one of the worst bullpen in all of baseball...I just don't see how you can blame one, but not the other...Just because the bullpen was stellar in April and part of May is no reason to let them off the hook... They both suck plain and simple...Has the offense ever gotten out of the funk this year, no definitely not...but that does not excuse the bullpen being unable to hold onto leads and walking so many batters...
I am not taking blame away from the bullpen. Something needs to change. The performance has been terrible. They have been inexcusably horrible.
However, it seems like everyone aside from IndianSox is piling on the bullpen while overlooking the fact that we should have scored 8 runs off that joke yesterday and 7 runs today. Usually it is because we "ran into him on the wrong day". Walker is a terrible, awful hitting coach. He should have been canned long ago. His incompetence, and our hitting woes have gone on all year, not the last 2-3 weeks like the bullpen sucking.

ilsox7
06-03-2007, 04:13 PM
There just is NO point at beating yourselves up and runing yours and your family's day over this anymore..

I'll never understand people who do this on a regular basis. Sure, everyone gets frustrated a few times a year and lets it get to them. But the irrational, outrageous, and angry posts seen on WSI on a regular basis baffle me. If this team is such a strain and anger inducing thing in your life, why even follow them? I love the White Sox and I love baseball, but if you let the team's bad times control your life, you need to take a step back, IMO.

Kwrubac
06-03-2007, 04:16 PM
I am not taking blame away from the bullpen. Something needs to change. The performance has been terrible. They have been inexcusably horrible.
However, it seems like everyone aside from IndianSox is piling on the bullpen while overlooking the fact that we should have scored 8 runs off that joke yesterday and 7 runs today. Usually it is because we "ran into him on the wrong day". Walker is a terrible, awful hitting coach. He should have been canned long ago. His incompetence, and our hitting woes have gone on all year, not the last 2-3 weeks like the bullpen sucking.

I think its pure frustration that when we are actually able to get a lead like we have been doing for the past week the bullpen gives it away, granted our offense makes no attempt to come from behind...both are failing miserably at the moment...

JB98
06-03-2007, 04:17 PM
I'll never understand people who do this on a regular basis. Sure, everyone gets frustrated a few times a year and lets it get to them. But the irrational, outrageous, and angry posts seen on WSI on a regular basis baffle me. If this team is such a strain and anger inducing thing in your life, why even follow them? I love the White Sox and I love baseball, but if you let the team's bad times control your life, you need to take a step back, IMO.

For that reason, I probably won't watch tomorrow's game. I didn't watch the last two games of the Cubs series, and I skipped a game of the Minnesota series as well. I'm very angry at the players, and I'm not really enjoying the season. Sometimes, you need a couple days off from them when they are playing so horribly.

cws05champ
06-03-2007, 04:17 PM
I'm glad I had a nice day with the family and Tivo'd this game. I only got pissed and threw my hat after I finished watching the game now. I am beyond words at this point...I'm really angry!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

ilsox7
06-03-2007, 04:18 PM
For that reason, I probably won't watch tomorrow's game. I didn't watch the last two games of the Cubs series, and I skipped a game of the Minnesota series as well. I'm very angry at the players, and I'm not really enjoying the season. Sometimes, you need a couple days off from them when they are playing so horribly.

Agreed. Everyone has a boiling point. Recognizing it and taking a step back is a good thing. The scary thing is that some people's boiling point seems to be one bad inning or one bad game, let alone a bad week or two.

OG4LIFE
06-03-2007, 04:19 PM

"Hey there, everyone!"

someone will invariably find this offensive, but that was hilarious.

06-03-2007, 04:19 PM
The Beatles said it best so many years ago.

HELP! I need somebody...

HELP! Not just anybody...

HELP! You know I need someone.

H E L P!

http://wwws.mmjbdata.com/graphics/www.mmguide.musicmatch.com/album_image/amg/drg200/g281/g28172vq2ri.jpg

Lip

You gave me a new sig idea...

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i112/shaunburnette/whitesox.jpg

dcb56
06-03-2007, 04:22 PM

That's right, it's a "Premier" game, so I suspect the booing will be even louder given the outrageous cost of the tickets relative to the crappy product on the field.

This team is a ****ing joke. The Sox have no bullpen and an offense that is full of slow veterans who aren't doing their jobs and crappy utility players, sorry, "Grinders," that are seeing way too much playing time. Whenever people around here discuss the Yankees, someone always says "Money doesn't buy championships," and the same applies for the 2007 White Sox because it's a $105 million dog. And a disgrace.

Even if they do start going on a tear they've dug themselves into such a deep hole in the division race that we're reaching the point where it would take a miracle for the Sox to win this division. With the gascans in the bullpen and the zombies on offense, I see little chance of a sustained winning streak that would bring the Sox back into this race happening.

DickAllen72
06-03-2007, 04:23 PM
However, it seems like everyone aside from IndianSox is piling on the bullpen while overlooking the fact that we should have scored 8 runs off that joke yesterday and 7 runs today. Usually it is because we "ran into him on the wrong day".
Me too.

ilsox7
06-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Even if they do start going on a tear they've dug themselves into such a deep hole in the division race that we're reaching the point where it would take a miracle for the Sox to win this division. With the gascans in the bullpen and the zombies on offense, I see little chance of a sustained winning streak that would bring the Sox back into this race happening.

As bad as this team looks and as much as they are sucking, this is way over the top. In reality, this team is a hot couple of weeks away from being right back in divisional race. It won't happen if they do not turn things around, but to say it'd take a miracle for them to have a chance to get back into the race is absurd.

MRM
06-03-2007, 04:27 PM
As bad as this team looks and as much as they are sucking, this is way over the top. In reality, this team is a hot couple of weeks away from being right back in divisional race. It won't happen if they do not turn things around, but to say it'd take a miracle for them to have a chance to get back into the race is absurd.

A rational post after a loss? How dare you! :D:

JB98
06-03-2007, 04:28 PM
Agreed. Everyone has a boiling point. Recognizing it and taking a step back is a good thing. The scary thing is that some people's boiling point seems to be one bad inning or one bad game, let alone a bad week or two.

Well, this one bad week has put me at a boiling point. I've reached it two or three times this week, and it's getting old. I'm tired of having a 3-0 lead and just knowing that the Sox are going to blow it. I guess I'll see how I feel tomorrow, but if tomorrow's game were starting right now, there's no question I'd click the TV off and go for a bike ride. I don't really want to look at these mopey, lifeless players anymore right now.

Lip Man 1
06-03-2007, 04:30 PM
MRM:

What complicates and makes matters more difficult is that there are three teams in front of them in the division.

One may tank...even two...but expecting three clubs to fall apart is stretching things don't you think?

Lip

ilsox7
06-03-2007, 04:30 PM
A rational post after a loss? How dare you! :D:

The Irrationality Meter at WSI is currently off the charts (which is really saying something). No one disputes that this team sucks right now. But to proclaim the season over, miracles needed, etc is insane.

It still surprises me the amount of time and energy people put into talking about how bad this team is in every way possible.

ilsox7
06-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Well, this one bad week has put me at a boiling point. I've reached it two or three times this week, and it's getting old. I'm tired of having a 3-0 lead and just knowing that the Sox are going to blow it. I guess I'll see how I feel tomorrow, but if tomorrow's game were starting right now, there's no question I'd click the TV off and go for a bike ride. I don't really want to look at these mopey, lifeless players anymore right now.

I hear ya. I went to Maifest Friday instead of finding a place to watch the game. A day or two off hurts no one.

ilsox7
06-03-2007, 04:32 PM
MRM:

What complicates and makes matters more difficult is that there are three teams in front of them in the division.

One may tank...even two...but expecting three clubs to fall apart is stretching things don't you think?

Lip

Not really. If this team got hot over a two week span and went, say, 10-2, they'd most likely be within 3-4 games of the division lead. Obviously, the big stumbling block is playing well enough to go 10-2. But if they do it, they'll find themselves in a race.

MRM
06-03-2007, 04:40 PM
MRM:

Lip

Why would those other 3 teams need to "tank"? You are paying way too much attention to the standings for June 3. Yes, the Sox are currently 7 1/2 games out of first place but, and this is important, there are still 110 games left to play! Soooo for the rest of the season, for every 15 games played, they need to win one more than Cleveland does. For every 20 they need 1 more than Detroit, and for every 44 they need 1 more win than Minny. Not guite the gloom and doom "it's over" some of you are spouting on JUNE 3RD.

roadrunner
06-03-2007, 04:42 PM

My thoughts exactly.

TDog
06-03-2007, 04:43 PM
MRM:

Lip

Unfortunately, the Twins broke out of their slump before the Sox came into town. Just a few weeks ago, they looked as dead as the Sox do now. I thought the Twins were dead and posted as much, but now I'm beginning to think they will win the division. They certainly have the most reliable bullpen in the division, although the starting pitching has problems, that includes Santana not being unbeatable. Chad Gaudin, a really good young pitcher, is beating Santana in the fourth today. The key may be whether Mauer comes back at 100 percent. Because of the time off, Mauer will be much fresher later in the season without his work behind the plate wearing him down, and that could make him more dangerous offensively than he was last September.

It would be easier to be optimistic about the Sox chances if it were just Cleveland and Detroit.

alohafri
06-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Gee, no one calling the naysayers dark clouds anymore? Maybe people have woken up and seen this team for what it is...CRAP.

At least we don't have to sit on the edge of our seats in August and September.

Cellview22
06-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Should be an interesting series vs the Yankees. The Sox will be well rested and ready to take advantage of a tired Yankees team come Monday night. I predict our bats will come alive tomorrow night, and we'll tear apart DeSalvo in the early innings and blow em out with double digit runs. But then you know what that means.. Tuesday night, Clippard or whoever else is pitching, will throw a no-hitter against us, to humiliate us even more.

UserNameBlank
06-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Gee, no one calling the naysayers dark clouds anymore? Maybe people have woken up and seen this team for what it is...CRAP.

At least we don't have to sit on the edge of our seats in August and September.
Slowly but surely this team will get to them all.

I've been a dark cloud for a few weeks now, so I'm in the "this **** is just laughable" stage. While I can shake my head and laugh off their terrible play, there are others who unfortunately have a while to go before they can accept the fate of this team, and those people are probably really angry right now.

I think I'll throw a freaking party once that first big trade for prospects is made. I can't wait. I know it's hopeless but I really want KW to find a way to talk the Dodgers into giving us Billingsley. Either that or Milledge from the Mets who from reports sound like they are willing to sell him low.

delben91
06-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Should be an interesting series vs the Yankees. The Sox will be well rested and ready to take advantage of a tired Yankees team come Monday night. I predict our bats will come alive tomorrow night, and we'll tear apart DeSalvo in the early innings and blow em out with double digit runs. But then you know what that means.. Tuesday night, Clippard or whoever else is pitching, will throw a no-hitter against us, to humiliate us even more.

If the Sox score 10, the bullpen will give up 11.

ilsox7
06-03-2007, 05:46 PM
If the Sox score 10, the bullpen will give up 11.

Hell, they might give up 15. :D:

delben91
06-03-2007, 05:47 PM

Shoot for the stars! :cool: <- stars so bright they're blinding!

TheOldRoman
06-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Why would those other 3 teams need to "tank"? You are paying way too much attention to the standings for June 3. Yes, the Sox are currently 7 1/2 games out of first place but, and this is important, there are still 110 games left to play! Soooo for the rest of the season, for every 15 games played, they need to win one more than Cleveland does. For every 20 they need 1 more than Detroit, and for every 44 they need 1 more win than Minny. Not guite the gloom and doom "it's over" some of you are spouting on JUNE 3RD.
No way. Please don't post anything rational here anymore. We need the Indians, Tigers, and Twins to all play .250 ball for the rest of the year or we are toast.

TDog
06-03-2007, 05:53 PM

They won't need to. The starter will give up the first six or seven while eating innings to limit the bullpen's exposure.

TheOldRoman
06-03-2007, 06:01 PM
I don't think anyone mentioned it, but the HBP called that Ozzie got tossed one was utter horse ****. Not only did Overbay make no attempt to get out of the way, but him swinging the bat put his hands in the line of the ball. It doesn't matter if he went around or not. He swung the ****ing bat, he ran his hands into the ball, and he should have had to stay at home.

UserNameBlank
06-03-2007, 06:17 PM
I don't think anyone mentioned it, but the HBP called that Ozzie got tossed one was utter horse ****. Not only did Overbay make no attempt to get out of the way, but him swinging the bat put his hands in the line of the ball. It doesn't matter if he went around or not. He swung the ****ing bat, he ran his hands into the ball, and he should have had to stay at home.
Ahh yes, the umpiring. Another classic excuse. The call was bad, but so what? If we had brought in our runners on 3rd with less than 2 outs we would have taken a 5-4 lead in the top of the 9th with Jenks ready to close out the game.

TheOldRoman
06-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Ahh yes, the umpiring. Another classic excuse. The call was bad, but so what? If we had brought in our runners on 3rd with less than 2 outs we would have taken a 5-4 lead in the top of the 9th with Jenks ready to close out the game.
Sigh... where did I say that was an excuse? I merely said that it was a blown call. That runner didn't even score, so it ended up meaning nothing other than Ozzie getting tossed.

LongLiveFisk
06-03-2007, 06:37 PM
I haven't watched a Sox game in a week. I have been listening on the radio though and I can tell you Farmio is none too pleased. So, I can imagine that Hawk is either 1) rambling like a raving drunk, or 2) uncharacteristically quiet. He does tend to get very quiet when he's fed up.

So which is it?

dcb56
06-03-2007, 06:48 PM

Nowhere in my post did I say it would take a miracle for the Sox to have a chance to get back in to the race. This team looks a lot like all the other teams the White Sox have put on the field since 2001 with 2005 being the obvious exception. Maddening inconsistency, average pitching, and a slow, all or nothing offense which looks like a worldbeater at times but also goes through brutal slumps were hallmarks of all of those teams, and from what we've seen from the Sox this season I have no reason to believe we won't see the same mediocre results. I'm sure this team will go on a run and mash at some point, assuming it doesn't get blown up first, but whether or not they can produce consistently enough to help the Sox pass three other very good teams given the bullpen's struggles seems doubtful to me. Speaking of the bullpen, that is another huge hole, there are so many problems right now the only thing anyone can really do is hope they get better, it's not like KW can go overhaul it during the season. I thought the Sox would win 84 games and finish in third prior to the season. So far I haven't seen anything that makes me change my mind.

MRM:

Lip

And our results against those three teams (7-11 vs. Twins, Indians, and Tigers) will not get the job done if making the postseason is the goal.

Problem is the Sox are 7.5 games out and chasing three other teams. While there may be 110 games left, the Sox really don't have 110 games to right this ship becuase the decision of whether or not they will be buyers or sellers come the trading deadline is about six weeks away. Right now they look like sellers, so they better start winning and go on this "run" that we've all been waiting to see for the last year PDQ or Brooks will have an easy job coming up with a slogan for next year's team: "These Kids Can Play II."

ilsox7
06-03-2007, 06:53 PM
This team is a ****ing joke. The Sox have no bullpen and an offense that is full of slow veterans who aren't doing their jobs and crappy utility players, sorry, "Grinders," that are seeing way too much playing time. Whenever people around here discuss the Yankees, someone always says "Money doesn't buy championships," and the same applies for the 2007 White Sox because it's a $105 million dog. And a disgrace.

Nowhere in my post did I say it would take a miracle for the Sox to have a chance to get back in to the race.

I guess you could potentially argue that when you said that they are reaching the point of where a miracle is needed that you didn't mean a mircle would be needed as of today, but none the less, you certainly expressed a belief that even if the Sox go on a tear, they have little chance to compete for the division.

ChiSoxIn06
06-03-2007, 07:02 PM
this is just a thought...if we swap our AAA lineup and bullpen (not the guys that we have sent down this year like sisco and such) and kept our startign pitchers, would we be in a better spot then now? i think it would be close because at least the guys from the minors would have a hunger and desire to win and not look completely dead out there like our club does now.

TomBradley72
06-03-2007, 07:29 PM
yes i do not understand why the sox dont stay with sweeney. terrero and mackowiak are backups while the future(probably in like a week when they ship Dye somewhere) is him and let him get playing time. and keep owens up here even when erstad is back. for 2008 this is the lineup i see.

LF jerry owens
CF Darin Erstad
DH Jim Thome
1B Paul Konerko
C A.J.
2nd Tad Iguchi
RF Ryan Sweeney
3rd Josh Fields
SS Uribe/Cintron

Rotation

Contrearas
Garland
Vasquez
Danks
Gio Gonzalez

Bulpen

Jenks
Thorton
Masset
Dewon Day
Boone Logan

So we're back to permanently sucking.

southside rocks
06-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Slowly but surely this team will get to them all.

I've been a dark cloud for a few weeks now, so I'm in the "this **** is just laughable" stage. While I can shake my head and laugh off their terrible play, there are others who unfortunately have a while to go before they can accept the fate of this team, and those people are probably really angry right now.

After Masset failed to hold the lead, I turned the game off and went to Hawk Ford Field and watched a Thunderbolts game. The 'Bolts won 3-2 with a pinch-hit double in the bottom of the 9th. They are in first place in their division, with a 9-2 record this year.

I cannot even describe how much fun it was to watch a good ballgame and to cheer for a winning team. I love the Sox and always will, but I need some kind of diversion during this horrific slump, and I don't drink, so ...

Grzegorz
06-03-2007, 07:59 PM

It's easy to hang the loss on Massett. I won't; this loss falls squarely on Konerko, Thome, and those guys that failed to get AJ in to tie in the ninth.

This team is most disappointing on offense. You want to scapegoat Greg Walker go ahead.

The blame falls squarely on Konerko, Thome, Dye, & Crede. If I heard correctly, this team is hitting under .210 against lefties. Look at that stat, think about it. Then ask yourself how is this even possible?

BTW, if Crede is hurting then do not play him; bring up Fields.

spiffie
06-03-2007, 10:04 PM
It's easy to hang the loss on Massett. I won't; this loss falls squarely on Konerko, Thome, and those guys that failed to get AJ in to tie in the ninth.

This team is most disappointing on offense. You want to scapegoat Greg Walker go ahead.

The blame falls squarely on Konerko, Thome, Dye, & Crede. If I heard correctly, this team is hitting under .210 against lefties. Look at that stat, think about it. Then ask yourself how is this even possible?

You use the term "scapegoat" with Greg Walker. I have a simple question, that I would like someone to answer for me. What is the job of a hitting coach, and how does one judge if he is doing a good or bad job? If the hitting coach has nothing to do with the hitting performance of a team, then what exactly is he getting paid for? It seems odd to me that it is somehow unfair to judge the hitting coach based on how well his coached players are hitting. Yes, it ultimately falls on the players to perform, but for the last 6 baseball months, Greg Walker has seemingly been unable to come up with anything to help his players perform better, at which point it seems to me that a change would not be out of order. I don't know if a different hitting coach would improve things, but at this point it seems that nothing he has been doing has succeeded. Even Crede, who was his success story, has regressed something fierce this season.

In the words of The Bobs, what would you say it is you do here Mr. Walker?

WhiteSox5187
06-04-2007, 12:35 AM
Well...I'm fairly certain this team won't make the playoffs. This is one of the ugliest road trips I can remember (but perhaps I've been so spoiled by 2005). This, uh, this team is just not playing that good. That's all there is to it. But I find myself not really taking out large chunks of time to listen or watch their games anymore. It's sad. Hopefully they can turn it around this homestand and at least make it an interesting race. But, it's getting difficult to believe that anymore.

harwar
06-04-2007, 07:02 AM
Maybe Ozzie should try the "names in the hat" thing,to shake up the line-up, because they look like they are trying to hit an unseen insect at home plate.
Or maybe management and players could switch jobs for a day. Get Williams,Ozzie,Cooper,Walker,Cora,& Baines back out on the field and let A.J., Uribe,Buehrle,Garland,Konerko & jenks run the team.

ChiSoxGirl
06-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Well...I'm fairly certain this team won't make the playoffs. This is one of the ugliest road trips I can remember (but perhaps I've been so spoiled by 2005). This, uh, this team is just not playing that good. That's all there is to it. But I find myself not really taking out large chunks of time to listen or watch their games anymore. It's sad. Hopefully they can turn it around this homestand and at least make it an interesting race. But, it's getting difficult to believe that anymore.

According to Chris Rongey during the postgame show yesterday, this was the worst roadtrip the Sox have had since August 2003 when they went to Anaheim & Texas and also dropped 6 out of 7. Looking back here (http://www.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=cws&m=8&y=2003), they lost 3 of 4 in Anaheim and got swept in Texas.

minutia
06-04-2007, 10:53 AM
I don't know exactly what they do in batting practice but I wonder if our relief pitchers pitched to them maybe both our bullpen and our offense can maybe work themseslves out of this togheter. It seems we can't do anything against bullpens.

DickAllen72
06-04-2007, 11:02 AM

I agree 110% :cheers:

roadrunner
06-04-2007, 11:09 AM
I agree 110% :cheers:

Me too - that's many millions of dollars worth of suck.:gulp:

06-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Jenks
Thorton
Masset
Dewon Day
Boone Logan

Someone for mop up duty? You already have 3 or 4 of them.

SBSoxFan
06-04-2007, 12:01 PM
MRM:

Lip

Lip,

I just can't believe Cleveland and Detroit can sustain this. Cleveland is playing 760 ball at home, and has a closer with an ERA of 7.29. We're all still waiting for Detroit's extended season to catch up with the starting rotation which has also been depleted by injuries. Detroit's closer has an ERA of 6.04.

I just can't give up hope yet!

spiffie
06-04-2007, 12:25 PM
Lip,

I just can't believe Cleveland and Detroit can sustain this. Cleveland is playing 760 ball at home, and has a closer with an ERA of 7.29. We're all still waiting for Detroit's extended season to catch up with the starting rotation which has also been depleted by injuries. Detroit's closer has an ERA of 6.04.

I just can't give up hope yet!
Don't be too fooled by Sweaty Joe's ERA. It pretty much all comes from 2 bad outings where he gave up 10 of the 15 ER's he's allowed this year.

Lip Man 1
06-04-2007, 12:28 PM
SB:

I recall a number of fans saying the same thing about Detroit last year and they wound up with 95 wins which wasn't even good enough to win the division.

Lip

SBSoxFan
06-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Don't be too fooled by Sweaty Joe's ERA. It pretty much all comes from 2 bad outings where he gave up 10 of the 15 ER's he's allowed this year.

I recall a number of fans saying the same thing about Detroit last year and they wound up with 95 wins which wasn't even good enough to win the division.

What's your point?