PDA

View Full Version : Chris Berman speaks of White Sox fans

Fenway
06-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Chris Berman was just babbling at a Boston charity event on CN8 television on the East Coast. http://hotdogsafari.com/

He confessed that he is a lifetime Red Sox fan and sometimes roots for them on the air when doing ESPN games. Then said he got nasty mail from White Sox fans after the 2005 ALDS.

He said "White Sox fans go to games to drink and fight and couldn't care less if their team wins. The Cubs fans have more passion"

balke
06-03-2007, 01:33 PM
ha.

oeo
06-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Chris Bermin was just babbling at a Boston charity event on CN8 television on the East Coast. http://hotdogsafari.com/

He confessed that he is a lifetime Red Sox fan and sometimes roots for them on the air when doing ESPN games. Then said he got nasty mail from White Sox fans after the 2005 ALDS.

He said "White Sox fans go to games to drink and fight and couldn't care less if their team wins. The Cubs fans have more passion"

There you go, he admitted it. How can they ever let him call a Red Sox game again?

RKMeibalane
06-03-2007, 01:38 PM

Statements like this only confirm what most of us have suspected about Berman all along: that he knows absolutely nothing about baseball and has an ego the size of Texas.

I'm going to be glad once he's finally pushed out at ESPN. Rumors have been circulating for years about his "me-first" attitude, much like a certain large-headed man who plays for the Giants.

IndianWhiteSox
06-03-2007, 01:42 PM
There you go, he admitted it. How can they ever let him call a Red Sox game again?

Unfortunately, you're talking about ESPN the Eastern Sports Propaganda Network. Therefore, that would enhance his chances of broadcasting great Red Sawx games.

ilsox7
06-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Is there actual audio of this?

spiffie
06-03-2007, 01:44 PM
**** him.

Soxfanspcu11
06-03-2007, 01:47 PM
:?:

Umm......that kind of stuff happens about 10 times more at Wrigley.

HotelWhiteSox
06-03-2007, 01:49 PM
I am shocked that something negative about White Sox fans comes out right after the Flub fans trash their own field again

bryPt
06-03-2007, 01:49 PM
ignore the idiot. ignore that entire network.

Breaking News
Clemens files nails
live in ESPN2, ESPN Classic

VenturaFan23
06-03-2007, 01:50 PM

:rolling:

Has he ever seen a Cubs game in his life? If it was any other team that was playing the Red Sux that year, the fans would have let him have it as well. The hate mail is pretty justifiable if you call the game that's NATIONALLY TELEVISED like a homer. **** him is right.

IlliniSox4Life
06-03-2007, 01:54 PM

He's an idiot.

Viva Medias B's
06-03-2007, 01:57 PM
said "White Sox fans go to games to drink and fight and [B]couldn't care less if their team wins. The Cubs fans have more passion"

Apparently, Boomer has never seen a WSI postgame thread after a loss. And talk about being 180-degrees off with regard to us and Cub fans!!! How the hell does Berman get away with this crap!

IndianWhiteSox
06-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Apparently, Boomer has never seen a WSI postgame thread after a loss. And talk about being 180-degrees off with regard to us and Cub fans!!! How the hell does Berman get away with this crap!

Because like the rest of ESPN, they get paid to be total ****ing idiots. It's sad when people like you and I know more about sports than jackasses like the ones on ESPN who actually get paid to know about the damn games. I mean in no other profession this would be accepted or allowed.

FedEx227
06-03-2007, 02:05 PM

He has tenure over there. Plain and simple. He's been there longer than anybody else.

DSpivack
06-03-2007, 02:05 PM

Has he ever seen a Cubs game in his life? If it was any other team that was playing the Red Sux that year, the fans would have let him have it as well. The hate mail is pretty justifiable if you call the game that's NATIONALLY TELEVISED like a homer. **** him is right.

"OH NO"!!! I still laugh uncontrollably at that. What a joke.

UserNameBlank
06-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Berman needs to be taken out into the woods and beaten senselessly with a shovel.

Jerome
06-03-2007, 02:54 PM
usually i try not to let stuff like this get me angry. but this is an absolute outrage. the only reason he got angry mail from sox fans during that series is because he was blatantly cheering for the red sox on air during the games

what a fat ****

and that tripe about 'cubs fans having more passion'? it's not like he had any credibility before but now it's certainly gone

Foulke You
06-03-2007, 02:56 PM
"OH NO"!!! I still laugh uncontrollably at that. What a joke.
Yeah, that was a great one. How about my favorite from the 2005 ALDS "..And the Red Sox dream to repeat is over."

skobabe8
06-03-2007, 02:57 PM
I'd love to slap his fat face.

tebman
06-03-2007, 03:08 PM
He has tenure over there. Plain and simple. He's been there longer than anybody else.
Ding! We have a winner!

Berman's a professional mouth. He doesn't have to know anything about baseball, he just needs to make the broadcast sound interesting the way a carnival barker can make the two-headed cow sound interesting. That's why they have analysts doing color during the broadcasts because they're typically former players who actually know what's going on.

"Well, I coulda been an actor, but I wound up here.
I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear.
Come and whisper in my ear
Give us dirty laundry"
--- Don Henley

russ99
06-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Chris Berman was just babbling at a Boston charity event on CN8 television on the East Coast. http://hotdogsafari.com/

Hmm, could this be the same Chris Berman who openly cheered on the air for Boston in the ALDS, and then cried after they lost? Then he wonders why he got nasty letters?!?

What a doofus. I'd rather listen to Don King call baseball games that that idiot.

I think how I'd write this statement... and it certainly won't be about the southside fans:

_________fans go to games to drink (an hit on trixies) and fight (and throw garbage on the field) and couldn't care less if their team wins.

PKalltheway
06-03-2007, 03:35 PM
What a fat, worthless, stupid, ignorant, egotistical son of a bitch. **** him. There would have been better commentary if Dave O'Brien was assigned to that series instead of fat ass Berman.

Navarro's Talent
06-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Typical Berman. That's all that needs to be said.

Chisox353014
06-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Chris Berman was just babbling

He confessed that he is a lifetime Red Sox fan and sometimes roots for them on the air when doing ESPN games.

You're with me, homerism.

rocky biddle
06-03-2007, 04:04 PM
Chris Berman is a joke. There's a reason that if you google Chris Berman sucks, you get 83 pages of results. And his hilarious nickname bit stopped being funny like 30 years ago.

I'd love to run into him at the Cell after I've been drinking. I don't care what's going on in the game, I'd totally fight him.

UserNameBlank
06-03-2007, 04:13 PM
Chris Berman is a joke. There's a reason that if you google Chris Berman sucks, you get 83 pages of results. And his hilarious nickname bit stopped being funny like 30 years ago.

I'd love to run into him at the Cell after I've been drinking. I don't care what's going on in the game, I'd totally fight him.
Some people would say that your comment lacks class. I wouldn't. I'd beat his *** too.

Lip Man 1
06-03-2007, 04:17 PM
There's an old saying... better to keep quiet and be thought a fool then open your mouth and prove that you are...

This of course is the same Chris Berman who:

Butchered ‘Hawk’ Harrelson’s signature home run call during the 2003 All Star Home Run Hitting Contest at Comiskey Park and then got upset when he was called out on it.

Sox fans remember his comment following the 2003 All Star Game on SportsCenter where he said that Sox fans ‘were the worst fans in baseball,’ after booing Manager Jerry Manuel, Cub representatives, Twins players, and Indian selections. (Yet in 2004 when Houston fans booed their manager Jimy Williams, nothing was said by him...).

And they remember his comments during the 9th inning of Game #2 of the 2000 ALDS when, with the Sox playing lousy and trailing badly, fans started leaving in droves. Berman castigated them for it.

This is also the network that:

Had comments from "experts" like Jeff Brantley and Steve Phillips which many felt went beyond the lines of simply reporting. (and which ultimately prompted both of those individuals to apologize to Sox manager Ozzie Guillen.)

They remember the apologies being reported in newspapers like the Tribune as well as comments from columnist Teddy Greenstein about Brantley’s butchering of White Sox player names. (Chad Hermanson...Freddy Guzman...)

They remember the Baseball Tonight preview show the day before the 2005 season opened where in the five minute or so segment devoted to the A.L. Central the word ‘White Sox’ wasn’t uttered one time. Nor were any of the Sox players mentioned under any circumstances by people like Peter Gammons, Harold Reynolds or John Kruk.

What they do remember is the Baseball Tonight crew talking about things like attendance issues while the club got off to its best start in franchise history as well as Brantley’s forceful comment that ‘Sox fans would be crying in their beer’ since the A.L. Central ‘belonged to the Twins.’

This is "journalism" at its finest as practiced by the Eastern Sports Programming Network.

LOL

Lip

MarySwiss
06-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Berman needs to be taken out into the woods and beaten senselessly with a shovel.

Yeah, but how do you beat someone senseless who hasn't a clue to begin with? This guy is a not-so-funny joke and has been for years. I'd guess the only people who take him seriously are himself and close relatives. What an absolute tool!

Meanwhile, as long as "Boomer" disses the Sox--the real ones--I know that sanity prevails.

PKalltheway
06-03-2007, 04:30 PM
There's an old saying... better to keep quiet and be thought a fool then open your mouth and prove that you are...

Butchered ‘Hawk’ Harrelson’s signature home run call during the 2003 All Star Home Run Hitting Contest at Comiskey Park and then got upset when he was called out on it.

Sox fans remember his comment following the 2003 All Star Game on SportsCenter where he said that Sox fans ‘were the worst fans in baseball,’ after booing Manager Jerry Manuel, Cub representatives, Twins players, and Indian selections. (Yet in 2004 when Houston fans booed their manager Jimy Williams, nothing was said by him...).

And they remember his comments during the 9th inning of Game #2 of the 2000 ALDS when, with the Sox playing lousy and trailing badly, fans started leaving in droves. Berman castigated them for it.

Had comments from "experts" like Jeff Brantley and Steve Phillips which many felt went beyond the lines of simply reporting. (and which ultimately prompted both of those individuals to apologize to Sox manager Ozzie Guillen.)

They remember the apologies being reported in newspapers like the Tribune as well as comments from columnist Teddy Greenstein about Brantley’s butchering of White Sox player names. (Chad Hermanson...Freddy Guzman...)

They remember the Baseball Tonight preview show the day before the 2005 season opened where in the five minute or so segment devoted to the A.L. Central the word ‘White Sox’ wasn’t uttered one time. Nor were any of the Sox players mentioned under any circumstances by people like Peter Gammons, Harold Reynolds or John Kruk.

What they do remember is the Baseball Tonight crew talking about things like attendance issues while the club got off to its best start in franchise history as well as Brantley’s forceful comment that ‘Sox fans would be crying in their beer’ since the A.L. Central ‘belonged to the Twins.’

This is "journalism" at its finest as practiced by the Eastern Sports Programming Network.

LOL

Lip
Way to dish it out Lip!:thumbsup:

rocky biddle
06-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Some people would say that your comment lacks class. I wouldn't. I'd beat his *** too.

Thanks, but I was trying to be sarcastic. I guess I should've used the teal.

peeonwrigley
06-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Go to deadspin.com, and in their search box type in "Berman".

The guy is a world class douche.

champagne030
06-03-2007, 05:02 PM

A friend of mine won, which at the time was, the single largest payout for a winner of a bowling tournament. The fledging ESPN network sent Berman to interview him. After the interview, Berman told him that he was more funny than him and that he would do anything in his power to stop the interview from ever seeing the light of day. It was never seen. Berman has always been an ass and will continue to be an ass. If I ever get the chance I will tell him so to his face.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F02E6DB1638F934A3575BC0A9659482 60

whitesoxfan
06-03-2007, 05:04 PM
Everyone that I know thinks he is an absolute clown. Coming out and admitting he's a Red Sox fan is pathetic. ESPN sure loves to have the games they covered by fair and balanced people, don't they?

Frontman
06-03-2007, 05:05 PM

I disagree that his nicknames aren't funny anymore, as he still gets a few that are funny.....from time to time.

But, you're first sentence says it all. He is a joke. I honestly don't care what any baseball anaylist says, as all they do is say what they think after they watch a game.

I get far more intelligent commentary here at WSI!

JB98
06-03-2007, 05:13 PM

Why should he be taken out in the woods? I'd be willing to beat him senseless with a shovel in the middle of Grant Park for the whole world to see.

pagansoxfan
06-03-2007, 05:16 PM
berman lacks intelligence, thus you can use a word that is pretty much banned here to characterize him. how about him refeering to the red sux as "we?" class act he is. keep in mind, that network hates anything to do with chicago.
it's pretty bad when the head of their radio division admits there is a bias at that network. i refuse to watch that network. they should just let berman wear a red sux uni, while stewart scott wears his yankees gear on sportscenter. on a saide note, i'm starting something that i think most of us on wsi will love. it should be up within a few days.

ilsox7
06-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Everyone that I know thinks he is an absolute clown. Coming out and admitting he's a Red Sox fan is pathetic. ESPN sure loves to have the games they covered by fair and balanced people, don't they?

Everyone needs to remember that this is the same network that asked its anchors to wear Arena Football shirts to promote the league it has an ownership interest in. ESPN is worthless, except for some live games it shows here and there. Turn the damn network off, folks.

UserNameBlank
06-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Why should he be taken out in the woods? I'd be willing to beat him senseless with a shovel in the middle of Grant Park for the whole world to see.
I originally said that because I figured that if one tried to beat the living hell out of someone with a shovel, someone might want to step in and stop it. But you are right. In the middle of Grant Park you will find Sox fans and Cub fans. The Sox fans would probably enjoy it and most likely the Cubs fans would as well as he has to have said something ignorant about them too. It's almost impossible for him not to since he only pays attention to the Red Sox and thinks every other team is a joke.

rocky biddle
06-03-2007, 05:33 PM
they should just let berman wear a red sux uni

But then he'd have to stop wearing his sweet collection of pastel sportscoats.

TDog
06-03-2007, 05:41 PM
He's an idiot.

If he's not, he's trying to make people think he is. Before 2005 (as will happen in the near future) White Sox fans didn't even go to games.

I used to go to a lot of Sox games, and the stands were nearly empty. And I've never had a beer at a ballgame in my life.

He attributes the traits of Cubs fans to White Sox fans, and I'm sure he blames others for his lack of credibility.

oeo
06-03-2007, 05:45 PM

If I recall correctly, I think Rick Sutcliffe (a moron himself) even mentioned something to him during Game 3.

Vernam
06-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Berman is to baseball now what Howard Cosell was to it in the 70s and early 80s. Meaning, he clearly prefers football and knows next to nothing about the national pastime. It's a disgrace that ESPN pays him to flaunt that ignorance. So I couldn't care less what he thinks about the Sox, their fans, or anything else related to baseball.

Vernam

skobabe8
06-03-2007, 08:10 PM

LOL

Lip

PLEASE GOD tell me I can find some videos of these comments somewhere on the web.

Brian26
06-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Berman is to baseball now what Howard Cosell was to it in the 70s and early 80s.

I understand what you're trying to say, but comparing Berman to Cosell is like comparing Domino's to Lou Malnati's. There is no comparison. Cosell was an icon and a legend, a true showman and innovator in every sense of the word. Berman is a hack.

HotelWhiteSox
06-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Him saying he's a Red Sox fan is nothing new. It was known as he yelled 'Ohhh nooo!' about the Graffanino error or after we swept, when his focus was 'The Red Sox will not repeat' instead of the White Sox advancing.

I am cynical, but that's why I sometimes think biases and all that are not that farfetched. Especially with a guy like Berman, who for some reason, basically owns/runs things over there. They were talking about it on ESPN Radio, how he gets to call the shots and place himself in any show or broadcast any event in America that he wants. And now he has this admission for disliking Sox fans.

I could care less about seniority if a guy was that sort of an idiot though. I accidentally caught on of his hosted Baseball Tonight shows about a week ago, man, you'd think you'd get better at something if you've done it for so long. Just a ton of awkward pauses, stutterting, didn't know much about the teams, very sad.

Another sad thing, Lip's list, you could probably add a ton on it. I try to find some other audio if he's doing a Sox game as he always has to make half ass remarks about the stadium too, with backhanded compliments that it's now kind of decent or not as bad with the renovations.

RadioheadRocks
06-03-2007, 10:03 PM
If I recall correctly, I think Rick Sutcliffe (a moron himself) even mentioned something to him during Game 3.

Yep, to Sutcliffe's credit he told Berman after one of his "BoSox kiss-ass" comments that "we're supposed to be impartial here". It's immortalized on the White Sox DVD box set, right there during inning #6.

Boondock Saint
06-03-2007, 10:10 PM

LOL

Lip

I don't know why, but every post in this thread about Berman seemed to piss me off more and more. Except this one. Thanks. I needed that.

Sox
06-03-2007, 10:13 PM
What a fat, worthless, stupid, ignorant, egotistical son of a *****. **** him. There would have been better commentary if Dave O'Brien was assigned to that series instead of fat ass Berman.

Maybe even Conan O'Brien?:tongue:

Sox
06-03-2007, 10:19 PM
I thought on a televised cast of a SF Giants game I thought that one of the announcers said that Berman was a huge Giants fan. I didn't know that he was a Red Sox fan?

In September of 1999, Berman was honored by his boyhood team, the San Francisco Giants, with the privilege of throwing out the first pitch at one of the final games ever at historic Candlestick Park. He is proud to say that he’s the only guy East of the Rockies to have a patch of outfield grass from both Candlestick Park and AT&T Park growing in his backyard.

http://media.espn.com/MediaZone/bios/Talent/BermanChris.html

Soxfest
06-03-2007, 10:30 PM

Berman has been a shell of himself since early 90's, he knows nothing about Chicago and never win!:cool:

MeteorsSox4367
06-03-2007, 11:49 PM
So, Berman thinks Cubs fans are more passionate than Sox fans, huh? So, that means that my saving my program from every Sox game I've been to since my first game in 1974, or my watching damn near every game, or my owning at least 20 different styles of Sox t-shirts or my crying like a baby when the Sox won it all in 2005 aren't displays of passion for my favorite team?

Although I've never met Berman, everything I've ever read or heard usually mentions what an egotistical windbag he is. This confirms it even moreso.

Since I enjoy posting on this board and don't want to be banned, I'll keep this clean: GFY, Chris Berman. GFY.

SoxandtheCityTee
06-04-2007, 12:05 AM
Fenway, please name the event at which Berman said these things. I am writing a complaint to the ESPN Ombudsman. I have had it. I am going Chisoxmike on this jerk.

JB98
06-04-2007, 12:06 AM
I originally said that because I figured that if one tried to beat the living hell out of someone with a shovel, someone might want to step in and stop it. But you are right. In the middle of Grant Park you will find Sox fans and Cub fans. The Sox fans would probably enjoy it and most likely the Cubs fans would as well as he has to have said something ignorant about them too. It's almost impossible for him not to since he only pays attention to the Red Sox and thinks every other team is a joke.

The only real concern would be possible damage to my shovel. Perhaps I could borrow one from one of my neighbors.

NSSoxFan
06-04-2007, 12:18 AM
This actually makes me smile. To think, the bozo had to broadcast a series in which his favorite team got swept. Just think about how some people here on WSI would handle that situation!

:)

WhiteSox5187
06-04-2007, 12:51 AM
He's a ****ing moron who knows nothing about baseball. Listening to him "announcing" the sixth inning of game three of the 2005 ALDS was just ****ing priceless "Oh no!!" From what I've read about him, he's a despicable person, who is totally clueless. I'm not sure why I'm so surprised by this nor am I so sure why I'm even pissed off at him because I already knew that he was a ****ing moron. If he's ever at USCF again, he better bring body guards because I'm sure a lot of Sox fans would love to have a "word" with him.

Nellie_Fox
06-04-2007, 01:25 AM
I'd totally fight him.As opposed to partially fighting him? :tongue:

I understand what you're trying to say, but comparing Berman to Cosell is like comparing Domino's to Lou Malnati's. There is no comparison. Cosell was an icon and a legend, a true showman and innovator in every sense of the word. Berman is a hack.Nonetheless, Cosell knew absolutely nothing about baseball. Nothing. He was an embarrassment on baseball games.

I'm sure the folks at ESPN find nothing wrong with what he said. They, too, would have been cheering for the Sawx, and can't understand why anyone wouldn't.

IlliniSox4Life
06-04-2007, 03:27 AM
Go to deadspin.com, and in their search box type in "Berman".

The guy is a world class douche.

Oh man, so I went to deadspin just to see what they had against him (I've been to the site before, but don't regularly visit).

Anyway, I just read about the whole "You're with me, leather" thing. I can't stop laughing. That is amazing. I can't believe I hadn't heard of that before.

For those of you who don't already know about it, check it out.
(http://deadspin.com/sports/chris-berman/he-could-go-all-the-way-166410.php)

bryPt
06-04-2007, 06:55 AM
remember the call of the final out of the BoSucks vs. White Sox series:

"And the Boston Red Sox dream to repeat as world champs has ended."

That single call of the final out is flat out the most bias call to ever take place on a nationally televised sporting event. HANDS DOWN. From a supposed neutral telecast to have someone say that IS ABSOLUTELY WRONG.

What if the final out of the world series in 2005 was:

"And the Houston Astros have lost the world series!"

How would that go down? Chris Berman is what is wrong with american media. He thinks he is bigger than the news he is reporting. He thinks he actually makes the news with his humor and added content. The best news anchors did not try to make the news, they reported it. He is worthless scumbag who is probably one of the worst reporters to ever cover sports. The guy makes mistake after mistake during his telecasts.

He is an a**hat to the 10th power.

harwar
06-04-2007, 07:16 AM
This is nothing new and has been going on for years as i have heard him rip the park,fans,scoreboard and anything else he could think of when he was doing a game with espn.
I remember the look of total amazment and disbelief on his face during the intro to the all star game held at our park,when he was roundly booed.

IndianWhiteSox
06-04-2007, 08:11 AM
The only real concern would be possible damage to my shovel. Perhaps I could borrow one from one of my neighbors.

Don't worry I'll get you a shovel(at least when I'm back in the US) and you can use that to beat Boomer's ***** ass.

:cool:

Fenway
06-04-2007, 08:25 AM
Fenway, please name the event at which Berman said these things. I am writing a complaint to the ESPN Ombudsman. I have had it. I am going Chisoxmike on this jerk.

It happened at the Hot Dog Safari at Suffolk Downs on Sunday ( a fabulous charity event, for $10 all the hot gogs and sausages you can eat ) www.hotdogsafari.com (http://www.hotdogsafari.com/)

Berman is a Connecticut native and has had season tickets in Sec 12 at Fenway for years so I don't understand the San Francisco connection.

One of the great "what ifs" of my life was turning down a chance to work for ESPN in 1979. They were heavily recruiting staffers from Boston, Providence and Hartford but I saw how shaky the Bristol operation looked and didn't think they would last 6 months. In fact I worked a college hockey game in 1979 (Harvard vs the soon to become famous 1980 Olympic team) and the paycheck BOUNCED.

In those early years SportsCenter lived for Boston and New York highlights because they could get them over the air in Bristol. (only other games they could get were from WGN and WTBS) ESPN only had pro rights to 2 teams the Hartford Whalers and Washington Capitals. Their most watched program was Australian Rules Football. Their first must see event didn't happen until 1985 a Big East game between Georgetown and St Johns. Keep in mind most big cities were not wired for cable until the mid 1980's.

IndianWhiteSox
06-04-2007, 09:02 AM
It happened at the Hot Dog Safari at Suffolk Downs on Sunday ( a fabulous charity event, for $10 all the hot gogs and sausages you can eat ) www.hotdogsafari.com (http://www.hotdogsafari.com/)

Berman is a Connecticut native and has had season tickets in Sec 12 at Fenway for years so I don't understand the San Francisco connection.

One of the great "what ifs" of my life was turning down a chance to work for ESPN in 1979. They were heavily recruiting staffers from Boston, Providence and Hartford but I saw how shaky the Bristol operation looked and didn't think they would last 6 months. In fact I worked a college hockey game in 1979 (Harvard vs the soon to become famous 1980 Olympic team) and the paycheck BOUNCED.

In those early years SportsCenter lived for Boston and New York highlights because they could get them over the air in Bristol. (only other games they could get were from WGN and WTBS) ESPN only had pro rights to 2 teams the Hartford Whalers and Washington Capitals. Their most watched program was Australian Rules Football. Their first must see event didn't happen until 1985 a Big East game between Georgetown and St Johns. Keep in mind most big cities were not wired for cable until the mid 1980's.

Why then you would be the most hated guy on this website!:redneck

But well what can you do? Things happen for a reason.

Hitmen77
06-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Yawn.....sounds like a certain dope at ESPN has admitted his bias during a playoff national telecast and doesn't like being called on it.

Somebody tell Fatso that this Sox fan/Cub fan myth is soooo 2002. Once upon a time, his comments were pretty much what EVERYONE in the media (local and national) thought about Chicago baseball fans. But, there's been a dramatic turnaround in public perception of the fans of both teams in the last few years. I think it started with the Bartman game - that's when the media first looked at Cub fans and Wrigley and started to say that the emperor has no clothes. And, of course, 2005 showed everyone that Sox fans are passionate and have been unfairly linked to one stupid person (Ligue). Nowadays, I think Cub fans have gained (and earned) the reputation of just a bunch of drunks who don't care whether the Cubs win or lose while Sox fans are finally recognized as more passionate about winning. Heck, even the Moron at the Sun-Times has said this about Cub fans/Sox fans.

So, let Mr. East Coast live in his BoSox/Yankees/Cubs universe. I'm going to spend my time worrying about real Sox problems (bullpen, offense) and not about the opinions of some buffoon who just parrots myths he's heard from Cub fans.

rocky biddle
06-04-2007, 10:43 AM

I guess my joke missed it's mark since I have to explain it. I thought it was gold Jerry, gold. Sorry. I guess I should've used teal.

PatK
06-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I think having a barrage of nasty e-mails from a team that he blatantly rooted against during a national broadcast IS showing passion.

Hitmen77
06-04-2007, 01:56 PM
Haven't you heard - you can only have passion for baseball if you root for the most popular teams. White Sox fans obviously have no passion because their team is not called the "Red Sox", "Yankees", or "Cubs". Their taking Berman to task for his pro-Boston playoff coverage is proof that they are just a bunch of passionless, fighting drunks.

Cub fans, on the other hand, would never go to a game at a park that wasn't surrounded by bars. This proves that the Cubs are all about "passion", not drinking. As far as other issues at Wrigley such as throwing trash on the field, etc. Since the media doesn't report it, the problem doesn't exist. Understand?

tick53
06-04-2007, 05:50 PM
Berman's is another talk-jockey who thinks he knows it all. To hell with him.

SoxandtheCityTee
06-04-2007, 08:47 PM
To be clear, my complaint letter will not even mention what Berman said about Cub fans. I couldn't care less. He made an insulting generalization about White Sox fans that would get him fired if it had been directed to a racial or ethnic group. I have no problem with anyone else ignoring this washed-up creep. It's my choice not to, not this time.

StepsInSC
06-04-2007, 09:00 PM
It's funny - two nights ago I had a nightmare featuring Chris Berman. Somehow, I had inherited a baseball team (don't know/remember which one). Berman was the owner of the Yankees in the dream, and he ran into me at some restaurant where he inquired as to to the availability of some player I hadn't heard of (I guess I was acting GM too). I tried to hide the fact that I didn't really know much about this team I inherited and laced my response with hesitation and trepidation. Berman got mad as hell; he told me I had made the worst mistake of my life. The remainder of the dream was him terrorizing my life - death threats, beatings, etc... The one thing he did that I remember was hire three prostitutes or strippers to run into me in the middle of a crowded street and start taking off their clothes while grinding on me in the middle of some downtown area; it was to make it look like I had hired three prostitutes to go home with me, but first to grind naked on me in the middle of broad daylight.

I awoke startled because it was one of the most long and realistically frightening dreams (in terms of the feelings I had in the dream) I've had in a while.

That's my weird and random anecdote for the year.

nysox35
06-04-2007, 10:02 PM
It's funny - two nights ago I had a nightmare featuring Chris Berman. Somehow, I had inherited a baseball team (don't know/remember which one). Berman was the owner of the Yankees in the dream, and he ran into me at some restaurant where he inquired as to to the availability of some player I hadn't heard of (I guess I was acting GM too). I tried to hide the fact that I didn't really know much about this team I inherited and laced my response with hesitation and trepidation. Berman got mad as hell; he told me I had made the worst mistake of my life. The remainder of the dream was him terrorizing my life - death threats, beatings, etc... The one thing he did that I remember was hire three prostitutes or strippers to run into me in the middle of a crowded street and start taking off their clothes while grinding on me in the middle of some downtown area; it was to make it look like I had hired three prostitutes to go home with me, but first to grind naked on me in the middle of broad daylight.

I awoke startled because it was one of the most long and realistically frightening dreams (in terms of the feelings I had in the dream) I've had in a while.

That's my weird and random anecdote for the year.

Maybe I'm sick and twisted, but picturing this made me LOL.
That said, I'm sorry for the fright you felt...:D:

Frontman
06-04-2007, 10:51 PM

Actually, the days of ESPN when they would cover "Magic: The Gathering" card tournaments were classic moments I loved. Nothing like two sports guys commentating on a collectable card game with no clue as to what was happening.

"Oh, he just played the Black Lotus. That's going to hurt his opponent's chances for a comeback!"

thomas35forever
06-04-2007, 11:18 PM
I hope the Sawx go on another 86-year drought so Berman can shut up about that team.

The Immigrant
06-04-2007, 11:29 PM
Their most watched program was Australian Rules Football.

I would watch Aussie Rules over 80% of the stuff currently shown on ESPN.

IlliniSox4Life
06-04-2007, 11:45 PM

Do you have an email address? I would like to write a letter too.

Nellie_Fox
06-05-2007, 12:08 AM
Their most watched program was Australian Rules Football. And I sorely miss being able to watch Aussie Footie.

Blueprint1
06-05-2007, 12:18 AM
And I sorely miss being able to watch Aussie Footie.

Same here I love that game.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-05-2007, 07:06 AM
After reading this thread, I went back to game 3 on the DVD and listened to that Mod edit for language filter evasion talk. When El Duque came in and got all three outs with the bases loaded, he said virtually nothing about Hernandez's performance, but commented how the Red Sawx were in a "do or die" situation. Then, when the game ended, instead of focusing on how the WS won the playoff series, he comments about the Red Sawx's failute to repeat. Just made me angrier.

He is nothing but a cariacature of real sportscasters. He's like that Mr. Game Show game that came out a few years ago, and looked ALOT like Wink Martindale....but of course, it was sheer coincidence.

http://www.ozziesrobots.com/2d5f51c0.jpg

VenturaFan23
06-05-2007, 11:33 AM
When El Duque came in and got all three outs with the bases loaded, he said virtually nothing about Hernandez's performance, but commented how the Red Sawx were in a "do or die" situation.

Ah yes, another gem....

After El Duque strikes out Damon to end the threat he says this in a dissapointed tone: "Oh, he gets him to go!"

as opposed to Rooney's classic call: "Hocus pocus says Hernandez!" :smile:

TDog
06-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Ah yes, another gem....

After El Duque strikes out Damon to end the threat he says this in a dissapointed tone: "Oh, he gets him to go!"

I didn't see the game, but, still, it must have inspired a good feeling to see hear Berman suffer on the air.

Irishsox1
06-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Luckily, I was at a bar with the sound turned down when Berman did the call of the '05 ALDS. If I heard it, it would have almost ruined what was up to that point the greatest White Sox moment in my life. I've never seen a national broadcast focus on the loser more that ESPN did after game 3. In fact, his announcing was the worst announcing I've ever seen for a playoff game, and I not just saying that. But that shouldn't surprise me, ESPN is the crappiest network. Mike Tirico, Berman, that d-bag with the lazy eye that says boo-ya, Linda Cohen.....uh oh, I just thought of Linda Cohen...I'm gonna throw up.

MagicNumber22
06-05-2007, 11:55 AM
I recall him constantly refering to 'the fat lady singing' on the 'great run by the Red Sox'.

At that point I was too excited to care about anything he was saying. But going back and watching that game now just infuriates me. What a fat moron.

EastPN does it again.

Frontman
06-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Ah yes, another gem....

"Get 'em the cap, the cape and alittle wand; as he'll make a rabbit outta that!" E. Farmer.

I love listening to that ESPN montage of the 2005 season. Ahhhhh!

kitekrazy
06-05-2007, 10:08 PM

Yep, he definitely doesn't know baseball. He has the teams switched around.
If Sox fans need a nap, we just listen to Berman.

santo=dorf
06-08-2007, 06:56 PM

Lip
Maybe he forgot?

More importantly, how about the fact his own hometown team booed ROGER CLEMENS at the 1999 all-star game? Total douchebag hypocrisy.

IlliniSox4Life
06-08-2007, 08:58 PM
whoops

Sox
06-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Luckily, I was at a bar with the sound turned down when Berman did the call of the '05 ALDS. If I heard it, it would have almost ruined what was up to that point the greatest White Sox moment in my life. I've never seen a national broadcast focus on the loser more that ESPN did after game 3. In fact, his announcing was the worst announcing I've ever seen for a playoff game, and I not just saying that. But that shouldn't surprise me, ESPN is the crappiest network. Mike Tirico, Berman, that d-bag with the lazy eye that says boo-ya, Linda Cohen.....uh oh, I just thought of Linda Cohen...I'm gonna throw up.

The guy with the lazy eye that says Boo-yah is Stuart Scott.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/57/Sutart_Scott.png/220px-Sutart_Scott.png

FireMariotti
06-09-2007, 02:30 AM
What a joke. Wasn't his call at the end of it something like "And the Red Sox dream season has come to an end!" How about something like "And the White Sox dream season will continue!" He's an ass.

Nellie_Fox
06-09-2007, 02:42 AM
What a joke. Wasn't his call at the end of it something like "And the Red Sox dream season has come to an end!" How about something like "And the White Sox dream season will continue!" He's an ass.It was really more like "and the Red Sox dream of repeating has come to an end." He's still an ass.