PDA

View Full Version : Piniella Finally Loses It

ChiSoxGirl
06-02-2007, 03:53 PM
I had the Cub game on mute while listening to the Sox and saw it- today was the day of Piniella's first ejection as the Cubs' manager. He got in the face of the 3B umpire because of a questionable call in the bottom of the 8th. After Mt. Piniella's eruption, which included kicking dirt on the ump, throwing his cap and kicking it not once or twice, but four different times, he left the field in disgust. Then, in typical classy Cub fan fashion, the bleacher bums started littering the outfield, just as they did last summer when A.J. hit his go-ahead home run off Dempster. This went on for several minutes and the game was delayed for at least ten minutes. I can't find any pictures yet, though.

Anyone else see this?!

salty99
06-02-2007, 03:59 PM
I had the Cub game on mute while listening to the Sox and saw it- today was the day of Piniella's first ejection as the Cubs' manager. He got in the face of the 3B umpire because of a questionable call in the bottom of the 8th. After Mt. Piniella's eruption, which included kicking dirt on the ump, throwing his cap and kicking it not once or twice, but four different times, he left the field in disgust. Then, in typical classy Cub fan fashion, the bleacher bums started littering the outfield, just as they did last summer when A.J. hit his go-ahead home run off Dempster. This went on for several minutes and the game was delayed for at least ten minutes. I can't find any pictures yet, though.

Anyone else see this?!

I saw it. Those fans are pathetic and classless. By the way, the ump made the right call.

sodfatherjunior
06-02-2007, 04:00 PM
I saw it as i switched from the Sox game in disgust after the usual bullpen blowup, got a great laugh from it and then realized that life isn't so bad...........and that it's worse being a Cubs fan.

ChiSoxGirl
06-02-2007, 04:03 PM
I saw it. Those fans are pathetic and classless. By the way, the ump made the right call.

That he did. I saw the replay and while it was close, the right call was made.

I saw it as i switched from the Sox game in disgust after the usual bullpen blowup, got a great laugh from it and then realized that life isn't so bad...........and that it's worse being a Cubs fan.

As bad as things are for us right now, you're right- they've even worse up at Clark & Addison!

peeonwrigley
06-02-2007, 04:04 PM
At least Cub fans have funny post-game press conferences to look forward to these days.

Fenway
06-02-2007, 04:11 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070602/capt.7de7f6308ce54b0599d9ebe8ed177615.braves_cubs_ baseball_cxc107.jpg

mbwhitesox
06-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Flipped over after the Sox blew the lead in the 7th just in time to catch the Braves walking off the field because of all the trash in the outfield. This is nothing new for cubs fans but I was surprised to see a few things thrown AT the grounds crew while they were cleaning up the mess, including what looked to be a full beer tossed at them as they were running off the field.

It's staggering just how classless some fans of that team are. Seriously, it's an embarrassment to the city.

06-02-2007, 04:14 PM
That he did. I saw the replay and while it was close, the right call was made.

As bad as things are for us right now, you're right- they've even worse up at Clark & Addison!

Chicago baseball on both sides of town is pretty grim. Oh well at least no matter how bad we do they seam to do worse.

DumpJerry
06-02-2007, 04:16 PM
They just showed it on the Sox postgame on CSN.

Lou needs to push away from the table and do situps.

spiffie
06-02-2007, 04:19 PM
The way both teams are going the series at USCF between the Sox and Cubs could just turn into a giant version of Jonestown.

peeonwrigley
06-02-2007, 04:24 PM

Watching the NY/Boston game, Lou might be in better shape than Curt Schilling.

Lou admitted (without explicitly saying it) after the game that the argument was pretty much staged.

Brian26
06-02-2007, 05:21 PM

Honestly, I don't really care how much Piniella eats, and it has no bearing on how good of a baseball manager he is anyway.

Piniella's not a player.

Brian26
06-02-2007, 05:25 PM
I had the Cub game on mute while listening to the Sox and saw it

I can honestly say that I have never in my life watched the Cubs game on mute with the Sox game on the radio.

ChiSoxGirl
06-02-2007, 05:29 PM
I can honestly say that I have never in my life watched the Cubs game on mute with the Sox game on the radio.

I had a headache and was trying to fall asleep, and figured watching that game on mute would do the trick. :tongue:

Brian26
06-02-2007, 05:32 PM
I had a headache and was trying to fall asleep, and figured watching that game on mute would do the trick. :tongue:

I thought listening to Singleton's monotone play-by-play would do the trick on its own.

:slowswing
"Cut-on and missed." One Sheep
"Cut-on and missed." Two Sheep
"Cut-on and missed...."

ws05champs
06-02-2007, 05:46 PM

Anyone else see this?!

I had the Sox on one TV with the Cubs on another on mute. The Cubs once again are proving to be the funniest team in MLB. Along with their crybaby manager and drunken fans throwing crap on the field and the army of grounds keepers needed to clean up they may just be the funniest baseball experience on the planet. I doubt if there is a sandlot anywhere that could provide the laughs they do. If they play baseball anywhere else in the universe, the funniest title may even extend beyond this planet.

gosiu
06-02-2007, 06:03 PM
I had the Sox on one TV with the Cubs on another on mute. The Cubs once again are proving to be the funniest team in MLB. Along with their crybaby manager and drunken fans throwing crap on the field and the army of grounds keepers needed to clean up they may just be the funniest baseball experience on the planet. I doubt if there is a sandlot anywhere that could provide the laughs they do. If they play baseball anywhere else in the universe, the funniest title may even extend beyond this planet.
Seriously, why do you have the Sox on one TV and the Cubs on the other? And with the Cubs on mute, that means you spend more time watching them than the Sox. :?:

alohafri
06-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Seriously, why do you have the Sox on one TV and the Cubs on the other? And with the Cubs on mute, that means you spend more time watching them than the Sox. :?:

If they are both going to lose, I'd rather watch the Cubs lose. Heck, the minute I saw MacDoodieinmypants come in, I turned the game off. The handwriting was on the wall.

kevingrt
06-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Couple points I wanted to make on the Sweet Lou tirade.

- I loved how the 3B ump just stood up to him. Nice job by him.

- How planned did that look? Lou was just waiting for a close play at 3B to charge out of the dugout and go wild. Young ump that he knew he could make a show of.

- Too many of the fans over their are idiots.

- Chicago baseball sucks right now.

ilsox7
06-02-2007, 06:40 PM
- How planned did that look? Lou was just waiting for a close play at 3B to charge out of the dugout and go wild. Young ump that he knew he could make a show of.

Planned or not, I give him props for showing some fire. It may have no impact on his team, but when you're at a loss for what to do, you need to try something. I wish Ozzie would do the same. He has had numerous opportunities to go out and go crazy, but has not done so. Would it turn the team around? Who knows. But when you're a bit desperate, why not give it a shot.

oeo
06-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Planned or not, I give him props for showing some fire. It may have no impact on his team, but when you're at a loss for what to do, you need to try something. I wish Ozzie would do the same. He has had numerous opportunities to go out and go crazy, but has not done so. Would it turn the team around? Who knows. But when you're a bit desperate, why not give it a shot.

I've seen you post this numerous times. How do you know that's what the team needs? You wanted him to do it on Thursday; I thought it was a terrible time. He had a players only meeting yesterday after the game, and the players seemed to like that. You could question the way he manages the bullpen, but I think the guy is great at managing the clubhouse...I trust that they don't need their manager, "showing some fire." To me, that's a sign of your manager breaking when you're struggling; and if Ozzie breaks, the team is done.

ilsox7
06-02-2007, 07:20 PM
I've seen you post this numerous times. How do you know that's what the team needs? You wanted him to do it on Thursday; I thought it was a terrible time. He had a players only meeting yesterday after the game, and the players seemed to like that. You could question the way he manages the bullpen, but I think the guy is great at managing the clubhouse...I trust that they don't need their manager, "showing some fire." To me, that's a sign of your manager breaking when you're struggling; and if Ozzie breaks, the team is done.

I've never said that is what the team needs or even if it'd work. But I think there are certain times you go out and go a little crazy defending your players. IMO, Ozzie has had several opportunities to do so this year and has not once done it. You see managers do it all of the time. Just in the last week, Torre, Lou, and Gardenhire have had at it.

Again, never have I said it will be some magic potion that will turn things around. I just think it should have been done. I have never said Ozzie does not know how to manage the clubhouse.

Lord only knows what this team needs. I just think it couldn't hurt any if Ozzie got out there and backed up his players on a call here or there.

SoxandtheCityTee
06-02-2007, 07:50 PM
Couple points I wanted to make on the Sweet Lou tirade.

- How planned did that look? Lou was just waiting for a close play at 3B to charge out of the dugout and go wild.

Piniella more or less admitted this in the post-game -- I heard the sound bite on the car radio. In response to a question I didn't hear he said, 'Yeah, it was about time. But I honestly thought the guy was safe, too."

Blind Lemon 5103
06-02-2007, 09:29 PM
It was fun to see "Mt. Piniella" go off...finally. I give the man credit...he's been remarkably restrained up until now.

One thing I tire of hearing is how the Cubs are still in it because of the weak division. That may be true, but I just can't see that team winning anything...they may have talent, but it's just thrown together. No chemistry. No fundamentals either. Dusty Baker must be smiling somewhere.

Of course, if the Cubs happen to find themselves and sweep the Brewers next week, the hype will begin again..."we're still in it", etc.

Then again, I should just shut up and worry about the Sox. They have plenty to worry about. I shouldn't concern myself with the doings of the Cubs at all, but I can't help myself sometimes. After all, my Dad is a Cubs fan...and I hear about their woes whenever I call him!

gosiu
06-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Then again, I should just shut up and worry about the Sox. They have plenty to worry about.

POTW IMHO.

jabrch
06-02-2007, 09:56 PM
That was so totally staged. ESPN compared it to some of his other rants - totally scripted....

And then in his postgame interview he said, "I was going to argue no matter what on that. He looked safefrom my view." Now forget the fact that he was CLEARLY out - but Lou admitted he was waiting for a moment to be a jackass.

As bad as things look on our side of town, they look worse over there - where they just committed a ton of long term money in the offseason and are still looking at a terrible team.

Amazing - 5 LFs don't make a good OF?

Blind Lemon 5103
06-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Even if it was staged, I enjoyed it.

I still prefer the base throwing rant from his Cincinnati days.

IlliniSox4Life
06-02-2007, 10:27 PM
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/kshanks2/lol.jpg

lol, looks like he got a good kick in on his hat. Damned hat deserved it.

DumpJerry
06-02-2007, 10:51 PM
If you have a headache, listening, watching or otherwise monitoring a White Sox game is not advised.

RadioheadRocks
06-02-2007, 10:52 PM

That is the Best!!!!! :bandance:

Brian26
06-02-2007, 11:24 PM
That is the Best!!!!!

That doesn't come anywhere near the Jerry Manuel-Finger-in-the-umpire's chest & face routine.

RadioheadRocks
06-02-2007, 11:29 PM
That doesn't come anywhere near the Jerry Manuel-Finger-in-the-umpire's chest & face routine.

True, but it depends on if you're looking at it as a manager-umpire dust-up or as a LMAO comedy moment.

Viva Medias B's
06-03-2007, 12:03 AM
Next time the bleacherites trash the field, the game should automatically be forfeited to the visiting team.

peeonwrigley
06-03-2007, 12:10 AM
Next time the bleacherites trash the field, the game should automatically be forfeited to the visiting team.

This is at least the 3rd time in 2 seasons (AJ 9th inning HR, Cardinals game in April) they've trashed the field with seemingly no repercussions. I don't even think any "fans" get ejected. Would that happen at any other park?

Viva Medias B's
06-03-2007, 12:15 AM
This is at least the 3rd time in 2 seasons (AJ 9th inning HR, Cardinals game in April) they've trashed the field with seemingly no repercussions. I don't even think any "fans" get ejected. Would that happen at any other park?

If it happened at our ballpark, the media would tear us to shreads.

gosiu
06-03-2007, 01:05 AM
If it happened at our ballpark, the media would tear us to shreads.
Well a riot did break out there one time.

bigfoot
06-03-2007, 01:09 AM
Too bad the ump didn't quietly move into the grass area of the field. Lou would have pulled a "hammy" trying to dust-up the ump!

TDog
06-03-2007, 01:29 AM
Honestly, I don't really care how much Piniella eats, and it has no bearing on how good of a baseball manager he is anyway.

Piniella's not a player.

He's not a very good manager anymore either.

Brian26
06-03-2007, 01:32 AM

Where did I say he was a good manager?

I said his weight shouldn't be a measure of his ability (whether that ability is good or bad).

Brian26
06-03-2007, 01:34 AM
Well a riot did break out there one time.

28 years ago and due to a non-baseball crowd. Apples and oranges.

itsnotrequired
06-03-2007, 01:36 AM

lol, looks like he got a good kick in on his hat. Damned hat deserved it.

The ump on the right looks like a Transformer.

BarbG
06-03-2007, 01:46 AM
Isn't that our friend Froemming?

IlliniSox4Life
06-03-2007, 02:42 AM
28 years ago and due to a non-baseball crowd. Apples and oranges.

I would consider the crowd at Wrigley a non-baseball crowd as well.

Brian26
06-03-2007, 10:59 AM
I would consider the crowd at Wrigley a non-baseball crowd as well.

Hahaha. Touche! :D:

C-Dawg
06-03-2007, 11:32 AM

Don't forget the game last summer when they gave up 11 runs in one inning to the Mets, including two grand slams.

When this happens, the opposing team should retreat to the safety of the dugout and remain there until it is safe to return; ie, they either clear the bleachers or forfeit the game. Its disgraceful.

UserNameBlank
06-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Nobody looks like a good manager with this Cubs team.

The following equation is true 100% of the time:

Dumb Cub fans + dumb Cub GM + 66 win season + hundreds of millions of poorly spent offseason dollars + Lou Pinella = extremely high hopes for another horse**** team

Hitmen77
06-03-2007, 01:28 PM
The Piniella tirade was the top story on WGN's news last night. :rolleyes: Of course, no mention of the fans throwing trash on the field.

Time to bring back Hangar's media watch! :redneck

Cat Thief
06-04-2007, 01:15 PM
I have been looking for some good picture of these ******* fans littering the field but I have had no luck. Anybody?

PatK
06-04-2007, 02:07 PM

http://www.yourfilmsucked.info/blog/uploaded_images/OptimusPrime-757674.jpg

Viva Medias B's
06-04-2007, 02:14 PM

That's Bruce Froemming, who has had run-ins with us too. Froemming is probably most famous for calling ball four on the final batter when the Cubs' Milt Pappas had a perfect game on the line. Pappas went on to get the batter out and record a no-hitter, but 35 years later Pappas continues to rip Froemming to this day over that call.

ChiSoxGirl
06-04-2007, 03:49 PM
I have been looking for some good picture of these ******* fans littering the field but I have had no luck. Anybody?

Not only have I not been able to find pictures of this, but I haven't heard or seen one mention of it even happening! I saw SportsCenter and Baseball Tonight on Saturday and while they practically looped the video of Piniella losing it, there was no continuation of the video showing the bleacher bums littering the outfield.

salty99
06-04-2007, 03:51 PM
4 game suspension.

DumpJerry
06-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Not only have I not been able to find pictures of this, but I haven't heard or seen one mention of it even happening! I saw SportsCenter and Baseball Tonight on Saturday and while they practically looped the video of Piniella losing it, there was no continuation of the video showing the bleacher bums littering the outfield.
The way things make the news is by being an event that rarely, if ever, occurs. The Sun rising in the East does not make news. A plane landing safely without incident at O'Hare does not make the new, a plane crash does. A third grader making it to school safely is not news, if the kid does not make there, then it is news.

See the pattern?

TDog
06-04-2007, 04:46 PM
That's Bruce Froemming, who has had run-ins with us too. Froemming is probably most famous for calling ball four on the final batter when the Cubs' Milt Pappas had a perfect game on the line. Pappas went on to get the batter out and record a no-hitter, but 35 years later Pappas continues to rip Froemming to this day over that call.

There is a story that Pappas once asked Froemming how he could not call the strike there, to which Froemming responded he wouldn't have been able to live with himself. Pappas then asked Froemming how he could live with all the other lousy calls he had made in his career.

I don't know if it was true. I think I first heard it from Jack Brickhouse.

DumpJerry
06-04-2007, 04:49 PM
We would run out of banwidth here if we recounted every bad call Froeming made against the White Sox........