PDA

View Full Version : What should the Sox do in 2007?

regionsox73
06-02-2007, 12:21 AM
The debate:

Bring up some kids and see what we have- and I think if this is done sooner over later we could get something going and finish on the upswing.
Pros: We may lose the free agents anyway- get something in return and start 2008.
Cons: Looks like the team is quitting

Continue as we are- wait for guys to get healthy, wait for the whole team to click and put together a string of games that the team can play to their potential. Good pitching, good bullpen, good offense.
Pros: If everyone plays like they look on paper and like we had hoped in March and make a huge run.
Cons: Could be a repeat of 2003, 2004, 2006 where we add a player or two, hit a skid in August/September and finish a few games out of the Wildcard

WhiteSox5187
06-02-2007, 12:33 AM
What should the Sox do in 2007? WIN.

RadioheadRocks
06-02-2007, 12:34 AM
What should the Sox do in 2007? WIN.

Amen!

Noneck
06-02-2007, 12:46 AM
This should depend on the feelings of the current seasons ticket holders. Do they mind hoisting the white flag after paying big bucks for tics this year? The last time the white flag was hoisted I'm sure advance sales were no where near as large as it is this year. Management should be real careful what they do this year.

Frater Perdurabo
06-02-2007, 07:57 AM
I'm sick of reading about the Sox needing to play to their potential.

For example, Crede has the potential to hit .300 (like he did for much of last season before a miserable September brought him down to .283) and hit 30 homers. Who realistically expects that? Another example, in 2004 Aaron Rowand hit .310. That was a career year for him. That year, he maxed out his potential. I highly doubt he will keep up his hot streak in 2007 (but I will be glad for him if he does). IMHO, expecting everyone to reach their potential is expecting them to have career years.

I just want - and expect - that on balance, by the end of the season, Sox regulars will be at or near their career averages. For Paulie, that's .281 with 31 HRs. AJ, .286/15. Dye .275/29. Crede .259/25. Iguchi, .273/18. Thome: .282/41. Uribe: .255/19. If these guys just reach their career norms, the offense will be fine.

IndianWhiteSox
06-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Since you really can't count on Erstad and Pods this season, they should trade for two outfielders, one with some power that can play RF(I mean have more range than JD) and one that can leadoff and play CF. That way JD can play LF this season and not be too affected by his diminishing range. I like the guy and all, but I think this would be for the best.

ilsox7
06-02-2007, 08:52 AM
Since you really can't count on Erstad and Pods this season, they should trade for two outfielders, one with some power that can play RF(I mean have more range than JD) and one that can leadoff and play CF. That way JD can play LF this season and not be too affected by his diminishing range. I like the guy and all, but I think this would be for the best.

While they're at it, they should trade for 3 lights out bullpen guys and a SS who can play gold glove defense, hit .300, and drive in 100 runs.

DumpJerry
06-02-2007, 08:56 AM
We can't count on Erstad this season? Why do you say this? He's already up and walking without crutches and the Sox say he should be back by June 16 of this year.

More range than JD???? I know you're in India, so you probably don't get to too many Sox games. My season seats are in the Right Field Corner, so let me tell about JD's range. During the toss around before the inning started one night, he was near the RF foul line. He then lobbed the ball to the second or third row BEHIND THE SOX BULLPEN IN THE LF CORNER! In a recent game, he cought the ball on the warning track and got it Home on the fly. How much more range do you require?????

IndianWhiteSox
06-02-2007, 08:57 AM
While they're at it, they should trade for 3 lights out bullpen guys and a SS who can play gold glove defense, hit .300, and drive in 100 runs.

Thanks for being cynical, but I was talking about maybe having the Sox trade for Randy Winn and Coco Crisp if they can get them for nothing. Otherwise, they better have Owens keep doing his thing.

IndianWhiteSox
06-02-2007, 08:58 AM
We can't count on Erstad this season? Why do you say this? He's already up and walking without crutches and the Sox say he should be back by June 16 of this year.

More range than JD???? I know you're in India, so you probably don't get to too many Sox games. My season seats are in the Right Field Corner, so let me tell about JD's range. During the toss around before the inning started one night, he was near the RF foul line. He then lobbed the ball to the second or third row BEHIND THE SOX BULLPEN IN THE LF CORNER! In a recent game, he cought the ball on the warning track and got it Home on the fly. How much more range do you require?????

That's his ARM not his FIELDING RANGE. Big difference!

Oh and about Erstad, he seems like a great guy and a player who's found his game from a time capsule, but only a fool would expect him to be healthy the rest of this year. I'm not saying because of hatrid, because I want him to succeed, I just think that the odds of him being healthy aren't on his side.

ilsox7
06-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Thanks for being cynical, but I was talking about maybe having the Sox trade for Randy Winn and Coco Crisp if they can get them for nothing. Otherwise, they better have Owens keep doing his thing.

Coco Crisp had two good years (2005-2005) and has flat-out sucked since then. How would he help this team?

I also do not see why Randy Winn would be given away for nothing.

jabrch
06-02-2007, 09:09 AM
Keep on chugging and see where we are as the deadline gets closer. Buy or Sell at that point based on informed (not WSI type information, but REAL knowledge of budgets/plans/negotiations) opinions on if we will be able to resign certain players and informed opinions on who is ready to contribute to this team next year.

IndianWhiteSox
06-02-2007, 09:13 AM

Coco Crisp had two good years (2005-2005) and has flat-out sucked since then. How would he help this team?

I also do not see why Randy Winn would be given away for nothing.

That's why I said that bolded phrase, otherwise well just use the farm system.

Who knows? Maybe the Sox get crisp for a Broadway type guy and he plays out of his mind for the rest of the year the way Erstad has in the beginning of this year.

ilsox7
06-02-2007, 09:16 AM
That's why I said that bolded phrase, otherwise well just use the farm system.

Just b/c you say something does not mean it will actually happen. I could say that the Sox should get Ichiro, but only if they don't have to give anything up. It adds little to the discussion, hence my cynicism.

Rockabilly
06-02-2007, 09:23 AM
If by the trading deadline we are out of contention..

I hope KW trades
Thome
Iguchi
Crede
Dye
Uribe
Pods

So we can get alot of top prospects than use the money in the offseason to sign some top free agents

IndianWhiteSox
06-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Just b/c you say something does not mean it will actually happen. I could say that the Sox should get Ichiro, but only if they don't have to give anything up. It adds little to the discussion, hence my cynicism.

Oh really, I didn't know that! I thought it was like one of those movies where KW is the genie and I'm the lost guy who finds the lamp! That's the part where I get to state my three wishes.
:tongue:

soxtalker
06-02-2007, 09:49 AM
This should depend on the feelings of the current seasons ticket holders. Do they mind hoisting the white flag after paying big bucks for tics this year? The last time the white flag was hoisted I'm sure advance sales were no where near as large as it is this year. Management should be real careful what they do this year.

I think that it actually may be the reverse. As soon as KW gets to a point where he doesn't think that the Sox have any chance this season, he needs to pull the trigger on trades. The current year is pretty well sold -- season tickets and advance sales. I'm not saying that he should ignore the current customers completely, but next year's sales depend a lot on whether people perceive that they will have a good team next year.

The Dude
06-02-2007, 10:08 AM

I'm going to have to side with Indiansox because JD has lost a LOT of range this season and just isn't doing a great job in the OF. It may be time, as many people speculate, that he moves to 1B if he doesn't re-sign with us. Yes JD still has a cannon arm but his fielding is not very good.

DumpJerry
06-02-2007, 10:08 AM

I hope KW trades
Thome
Iguchi
Crede
Dye
Uribe
Pods

So we can get alot of top prospects than use the money in the offseason to sign some top free agents
You forgot to include the other 19 guys on the 25 man roster.:rolleyes:

Noneck
06-02-2007, 11:01 AM
I think that it actually may be the reverse. As soon as KW gets to a point where he doesn't think that the Sox have any chance this season, he needs to pull the trigger on trades. The current year is pretty well sold -- season tickets and advance sales. I'm not saying that he should ignore the current customers completely, but next year's sales depend a lot on whether people perceive that they will have a good team next year.

I dunno, I would think if the white flag is waived and the Sox go belly up this year, fans will be wait and see before they invest in next season.(We aren't cub fans) I still think that current tic holders will be ticked off if the tent is folded too early and won't be choppin at the bit to buy advance tics for next year no matter what moves are made. But I could be wrong.

kitekrazy
06-02-2007, 12:03 PM
You forgot to include the other 19 guys on the 25 man roster.:rolleyes:

Ha! Ha! Good point. Fans think trades are easy and the other team's GM is naive.

MRM
06-02-2007, 12:37 PM

I hope KW trades
Thome
Iguchi
Crede
Dye
Uribe
Pods

Trade away 6/9ths of the opening day starting lineup for prospects then rebuild the entire team in F.A. next year? Yeah, that makes sense.

oeo
06-02-2007, 12:47 PM

JD has become quite slow out there. Even two years ago, he had better range. He's not getting to balls this year that he would have gotten two a couple of years ago; I think he's declining defensively.

Jurr
06-02-2007, 02:06 PM
How 'bout this scenario? The team gets its collective ass in gear, plays all out team baseball, focuses on fundamentals, and makes this summer a memorable one? I'm all for that idea. :bandance:

DSpivack
06-03-2007, 01:23 AM
How 'bout this scenario? The team gets its collective ass in gear, plays all out team baseball, focuses on fundamentals, and makes this summer a memorable one? I'm all for that idea. :bandance:

So am I, but from your mouth to the players brains...

ThomesHomie
06-03-2007, 01:30 AM
Bring back Rowand an Anderson

Fire, Ozzy, Cooper, Kenny, Walker, and the beer vendor that opens beer like a robot. I mean he can't do it with the bottles so what gives.

JB98
06-03-2007, 01:49 AM
I can't answer this question. It's a little too early to say. If we are still sucking in a month, I'm not going to be upset if KW blows it up. I don't want to watch a veteran team limp toward the finish line with a .500 record. That's a pointless exercise.

aryzner
06-03-2007, 01:53 AM

I hope KW trades
Thome
Iguchi
Crede
Dye
Uribe
Pods

:rolling:

Sox
06-03-2007, 01:54 AM
This would probably be as good a time as any to see who's available in the draft. I believe that the greatest need for the White Sox right now is pitching. Shore up the bullpen with some solid relief pitchers and look for 4 or 5 guys that are solid starters.

Bucky F. Dent
06-03-2007, 12:02 PM
In the words of Herm Edwards, "You play to win the game!"

Craig Grebeck
06-03-2007, 12:08 PM
You can rebuild and contend at the same time. Build the offense around PK and Thome and the pitching staff around Garland, Vazquez, and Danks. Try to find suitors for Dye, Crede, Burls, Contreras and Iguchi (although I think he can be had for cheap). Try to find someone for Darin so the Sox don't get stuck with his option next season.

IndianWhiteSox
06-03-2007, 01:48 PM
You can rebuild and contend at the same time. Build the offense around PK and Thome and the pitching staff around Garland, Vazquez, and Danks. Try to find suitors for Dye, Crede, Burls, Contreras and Iguchi (although I think he can be had for cheap). Try to find someone for Darin so the Sox don't get stuck with his option next season.

They can't just decline his option if they don't like it, genius.

PIERCE
06-03-2007, 02:14 PM
That's why its called a option

IndianWhiteSox
06-03-2007, 02:18 PM
That's why its called a option

He's too busy salivating over Billy Beane to realize that.

UserNameBlank
06-03-2007, 02:35 PM
They can't just decline his option if they don't like it, genius.

They would still have to pay for it. He has a buyout.

He's too busy salivating over Billy Beane to realize that.

I believe he will cost $6mil to be brought back if he reaches 600 PA. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

MRM
06-03-2007, 02:47 PM
They would still have to pay for it. He has a buyout. I believe he will cost $6mil to be brought back if he reaches 600 PA. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

The buyout is only $250k and there is no way he reaches 600 plate appearances. He's on the DL for the next two weeks!

Jerome
06-03-2007, 03:10 PM
sell

trade buehrle, dye, crede before the deadline for bullpen and starting pitching prospects, that is if we continue to hover around .500

if we were in the NL Central it would be different but there's no way in hell we overcome both Detroit and the Toons. and lets not forget the twins will be there at the end too. the division is just too tough for us to compete in with all the games we've pissed away (and will continue to piss away - does anyone have confidence in this bullpen?) this season

i give KW kudos for two 90 win seasons in a row (and a freakin WS :D:) but the time has come for this core of players

sox1970
06-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Punt

JB98
06-03-2007, 04:23 PM
The buyout is only $250k and there is no way he reaches 600 plate appearances. He's on the DL for the next two weeks!

If he comes back in two weeks, stays healthy and bats leadoff for the rest of the year, he could very easily reach 600 plate appearances.

Tragg
06-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Try to trade for a good young hitter. To get that, we'd have to trade pitching prospects.

If we trade one of our soon to be FAs, we'll get prospects because only contendereds want those plaeyrs and they want to pay in prospects. That's fine, just ship those prospects to someone else for a young hitter.

MRM
06-03-2007, 05:55 PM
If he comes back in two weeks, stays healthy and bats leadoff for the rest of the year, he could very easily reach 600 plate appearances.

If he hit leadoff and played in virtually every game for the rest of the year, maybe.

Moving back into the real world, there is no way in hell he reaches 600 plate appearances. Once Pods comes back he's dropping in the order immediately, maybe as far as 9th. Considering he's only played in more than 150 games once in the last 5 years and more than 125 twice over the same span, it's absurd to expect him to play every day for the rest of the year once he's off the DL.

Beautox
06-04-2007, 12:52 AM
What i would like to see the sox do if they're out of it and are going to rebuild/retool and let the kids play.

These are the logical moves i would make provided they were on the table. No ZOMG!!! Tim Lincecum for Boone Logan talk.

LF - L Ellssbury (acquired with jed lowrie for Mark Buehrle)
SS - R Escobar (acquired with salty for JC + Anderson + Carter)
DH - L Thome
1B - R Konerko
CF - R Jones/Hunter (FA signed 8 years/$136M or 6 years/ $85.5M)
C - S Saltallamachia S (acquired with Escobar for JC + Anderson + Mmac[provided he gets it back] or Carter)
3B - R Fields
RF - L Sweeney
2B - S Lowrie (acquired with Jacob Ellssubry for Mark Buehrle)

SP
Garland
Vazquez
Danks
Masset
Gio/Sanchez/Egbert

BP
Jenks
Thornton
Janssen
Logan
The last two spots being determined by ST ala '06
Aardsma/Day/Sanchez/Vasquez/Perez/Broadway/Russell/Sisco/Wing/Torres/Long/Texeira

Bench
OF/CI Mackowiak L
C Hall R
MI Aybar S
OF Terrero R
OF/1B Erstad L

Trade Deadline Moves Made

Mark Buehrle traded midseason for OF Jacob Ellssbury + MI Jed Lowrie (red sox) i could see the bosox looking to extend him too; Schilling is a FA, and Lester is looking good. Mark in my opinion would put them over the top and strengthen their BP, Taveras would be put in a better position to succeed.

Jermaine Dye traded midseason for 3B/1B Matthew Sweeney + MI Erik Aybar + RHP Jose Arredondo(angels) Aybar is looking more and more like a good piece on the bench, Arredondo has a live arm, and Sweeney is interesting in his own right.

Joe Crede For LHP Jonathan Sanchez + 2b Marcus Sanders(giants)
Sanchez is a project but has shown alot of promise in the past, and Sanders is a while away(A) he still has time to develop power, hes got great speed and a great eye

Tadahito Iguchi traded midseason for RHP Tobi Stoner(mets)
Seems about the going rate for a second basemen[a decent live arm]

Offseason Moves Made

AJP + Juan Uribe for OF Travis Snider + RP Casey Janssen (blue jays)
Zuan is on the decline and is good for a platoon role, Uribe still has a + glove and maybe he needs another change of scenery.

Jose Contreras + Brian Anderson + RHP Mmac(provided he gets it together) or 1B Chris Carter for Jarrod Saltalamacchia + Yunell Escobar(braves)
The braves are still paying hampton to sit on the bench, Brian needs a change of scenery and i still has the potential to hit 30HR, hes got a great glove so the drop off between jones and anderson won't be steep at all. They like everyone needs BP help so if Mmac can get it togeather i wouldn't be against sending him to ATL, if not the braves need a good power hitting 1B for their future, enter Carter.

FA Signed Andruw Jones or Torri Hunter

attempt to trade Scott Podsednik + Alex Cintron for anything or non tender

Top Prospects in no order
OF Travis Snider
OF Aaron Cunningham
1b Chris Carter
3b/1b Matt Sweeney
RHP De Los Santos
RHP Jack Egbert
RHP Adam Russel
2B Marcus Sanders
RHP Tobi Stoner
RHP Jose Arredondo

This team should be able to contend for the central or a WC by '09 but more likely '10

with a core of Thome/Konerko/Jones-Hunter that will protect alot of the young hitters and when its the time to contend again will still have that middle of the order pop.

also their is alot of above average speed and defense around the diamond.

'08 Opening Day Payroll
Andruw Jones 17M / Torii Hunter 14.25M
Jim Thome - 7.7M with the cash sent from Philly(14)
Paul Konerko - 12M
Jon Garland - 12M
Javier Vazquez - 11.5M
Rob Mackowiak - 3.5M
Darrin Erstad - 3.5M
Toby Hall - 1.5M
Pablo Ozuna - 1.25M
Matt Thornton - 875K

The other 15 remaining players making league min(380K)
-------- = 76.6M W Jones / 73.85M W Hunter

Thats also not factoring in the 10mil cleared this past off season from moving Garcia, 2M/5Y for flexibility

Finally offer Ozzie the option of walking away from the rebuilding or fire him and offer Tom Kelly a very nice deal and let him work with the youth movement and bring in his people sans Cooper.