06-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Todd Jones blows.

DrewSox56
06-01-2007, 10:49 PM
So does Mike MacDougal.

Maybe we can switch.

HotelWhiteSox
06-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Cleveland continues to demoralize Detroit. Last 3, throw basketball in there too

PeteWard
06-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Do we ignore this series because it's too early or cheer for Cleve...in order to try to catch Det for the wild card? They are only one ahead of us in the L column. But I hate conceding the division in June:angry:.

So I will ignore it and focus on the Sox.

TDog
06-01-2007, 11:06 PM
Jim Leyland put the winning run on base with a two-out intentional walk with the tying run on second.

The Tigers bullpen gave up seven runs --five by Todd Jones, who came in with the tying run in scoring position in the eighth and got out of it. The Indians bullpen gave up six runs -- the last on a bases-loaded walk.

Bad bullpens. Bad, bad managing. I'm not blaming Leyland for leaving Jones in. His bullpen is so bad, it was either that or bring in Seay, although he couldn't have done worse. But it's not second-guessing to blame the manager for the intentional walk that put the winning run on base.

The results were unfortunate because I really would have liked to see the Indians lose tonight.

JB98
06-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Do we ignore this series because it's too early or cheer for Cleve...in order to try to catch Det for the wild card? They are only one ahead of us in the L column. But I hate conceding the division in June:angry:.

Precisely. The most important thing is for the Sox to get it together and start playing good baseball. If that doesn't happen, it doesn't matter who wins between the Tigers and Indians.

chisoxfanatic
06-01-2007, 11:28 PM

That just about sums it up. If the Sox can get on a nice tear, they will end up taking care of business for themselves, knocking down the Indians and Tigers. They can do this without any help. They just need to get it together.

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2007, 11:42 PM
You guys nailed it, all that matters right now is how the Sox play. Ideally though you'd like to see three extra inning games with each team destroying its bullpen. Two more high scoring games like this would help. But all the Sox should do now is focus on winning.

Hitmen77
06-02-2007, 12:06 AM
Cle scores 5runs in bot 9 to win it

Wow!

thomas35forever
06-02-2007, 12:14 AM
The city of Cleveland owns Detroit right now. The people in that Ohio city must be giddy with delight.

cwsfannick
06-02-2007, 12:20 AM
The city of Cleveland owns Detroit right now. The people in that Ohio city must be giddy with delight.

Let's not forget Ohio State over Michigan in football the past few years.

Tragg
06-02-2007, 12:48 AM
This is good news. Not because Cleveland won, but because losses like this sometimes mess a team up. Hopefully this tanks the Tigers for a couple of weeks.
Not that it's a sure thing - the Cubs did this against the Mets and the next game they beat us.

Oblong
06-02-2007, 09:25 AM
Detroit is 0-8 against Cleveland teams since last Friday. And, from memory, all of the 8 games have been relatively close.

Last night's loss is going to go down in the annals of Tiger losses. We'll talk about it with our kids.

No bullpen. Leyland's grasping at straws. I dont' blame him for leaving Jones out there.

hose
06-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Todd Jones is blowing games for the Tigers but if your closer is Joe Browoski do you feel any better?

DumpJerry
06-02-2007, 10:06 AM
To revive something that we talked about during the off-season and ST this year:
2007 Tigers=2006 White Sox.

It looks like the Tigers are kicking it in earlier than the Sox did last year.

Sportscaster17
06-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Todd Jones is blowing games for the Tigers but if your closer is Joe Browoski do you feel any better?

Actually, yeah we do. He was automatic in a three-for-three performance (not really challenged at all) last weekend in Detroit. He's 17/19 with 21 strikeouts. Talk to ANY of us in northeast Ohio and Borowski isn't what concerns us. It's the middle guys.

DickAllen72
06-02-2007, 11:51 AM
The Tigers aren't as good as they were last season. Cleveland is playing way over their heads right now. The Twins and The White Sox will catch up to both of them within the nxt month or two. This is still anyone's division and it's going to go down to the wire.

The White Sox will be within one game of first by the end of June. In Dusty I trusty. :tongue:

TDog
06-02-2007, 12:36 PM

This isn't just about Todd Jones in the ninth inning. He actually got out of a jam in the eighth. This was a game where Detroit's bullpen gave up seven gave up seven runs in the last two innings. Cleveland's bullpen gave up six runs, including two in the ninth in answer to two the Indians had scored in the bottom of the eighth, the second on a bases-loaded walk.

It's also a game where, with one man on base and two outs with a one-run lead, Leyland put the winning run on base. He didn't intentionally walk Babe Ruth or Ted Williams or even Barry Bonds. He in tenionally walked Trot Nixon with two outs. Two pitches later, Josh Barfield, who had singled against Jones in the eighth, tied the game with another single. Four pitches after that, David Deluicci, who nearly tied the game against Jones in the eighth with a line drive out, singled to end the game, driving in Nixon who didn't even have to earn his way on base.

Both teams deserved to lose. Detroit deserved to lose more.

People complain about the manager when a relief pitcher blows a game. This isn't about second guessing. It's about recognizing exquisitely bad managing.

Rob190
06-02-2007, 12:41 PM
This is the after effects of the Tigers losing Zumaya, and I think Rodneys is also out.

Sportscaster17
06-02-2007, 12:43 PM
... Cleveland is playing way over their heads right now. The Twins and The White Sox will catch up to both of them within the nxt month or two.

Yeah boy I remember saying the exact same thing about the 2000/2005 White Sox and 2006 Tigers. Kept waiting for them to level off and everyone would catch up and it didn't happen.

The Immigrant
06-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Yeah boy I remember saying the exact same thing about the 2000/2005 White Sox and 2006 Tigers. Kept waiting for them to level off and everyone would catch up and it didn't happen.

That's okay, you guys go ahead and get excited. Just remember that this is a Cleveland team we're talking about. :cool:

oeo
06-02-2007, 01:38 PM

It did happen. Look at their second half numbers. The Tigers were even worse in the second half of last year than the 2005 Sox were. If you remember, the Tigers were pulling wins out of their asses like every other night in the first half(at least it seemed like it), like this Indians win.

It'll be a matter of how big of a lead the Indians get before they fall back to Earth a little bit. The division is tougher now than it was in 2005 or 2006, though, so it's going to be even tougher for the Indians to hold on. And unlike the Sox and Tigers of the past two years, the Indians bullpen isn't tops in the league, and I think it's bound for an implosion. Right now it looks as if the Indians have the horseshoe up their ass like the Sox did in '05 and the Tigers did in '06.

PeteWard
06-03-2007, 02:48 PM

And they live in Detroit....but you live in Cleveland. Do you feel any better?