PDA

View Full Version : Owens is my hero

DaBearsSoxBulls3
06-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Either Pods or Erstad need not return...Owens should lead off for the next 10 years.

Yes, I'm already sold.

chisoxmike
06-01-2007, 10:13 PM
It's one game. Calm down.

voodoochile
06-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Gosh darn, I hope you are right, but let's at least give the kid a chance to prove he is ready before saddling him with a bunch of superstar expectations...

Grzegorz
06-01-2007, 10:16 PM
Either Pods or Erstad need not return...Owens should lead off for the next 10 years.

Yes, I'm already sold.

Hey, I've got a bridge to sell you... :D:

IlliniSox4Life
06-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Hey, I've got a bridge to sell you... :D:

But before he tells you about that, I have a wonderful opportunity involving property on the moon.

TDog
06-01-2007, 10:20 PM
I remember in the 1970s when a young third baseman hit a triple in his major league debut for the Sox, and he looked great, and the Sox manager told reporters after the game that they had seen the debut of a Hall of Fame career.

I remember a lot of baseball. I remember specific details of the hundreds of games I've been to and the many more I watched on television. I even remember leads of stories in the Tribune the next day. But for the life of me, I can't remember the name of that rookie. That was how much of an impression he made for the rest of his career.

The Sox could use Owens' speed, though.

Edit: I just remembered it was former first-round draft pick Kevin Bell, who averaged 2 hits for every 9 at bats in his career -- .222. Paul Richards should have known better, especially considering the Sox lost 10-2 that night.

chisoxfanatic
06-01-2007, 10:58 PM
But before he tells you about that, I have a wonderful opportunity involving property on the moon.
Screw that! I have an entire galaxy to sell him! :D:

itsnotrequired
06-01-2007, 11:05 PM

Yes, I'm already sold.

To speak ill of Erstad is to ask for a flogging.

:mad:

Also, would you like to buy some magic beans from me? Worth a try, I think.

Hitmen77
06-01-2007, 11:33 PM

Yes, I'm already sold.

We do need those guys to return - but what we hope to get is for Jerry Owens - like Ryan Sweeney earlier this month - to give us a decent stretch of a week or two to help bridge the time until our regulars return.

The Dude
06-01-2007, 11:35 PM

Yes, I'm already sold.

Wow, I'm glad you're banned because every one of your posts is completely insane!:o: It has been one game and he is a 26 year old career minor leaguer. I hope he can play well and finally gain a roster spot but that remains to be seen.

The only proven Owens that can he a hero I can think of is Terrell Owens. And besides his great playing ability, he is a complete tool but my only keeper for this coming season!:redneck

FedEx227
06-01-2007, 11:36 PM
I wouldn't mind keeping Owens in the leadoff role. I've always said I think Erstad would be better suited lower in the lineup.

I love the idea of

LF-Owens
2B- Iguchi
DH-Thome
RF- Dye
1B- Konerko
C- AJ
3B- Crede
CF- Erstad
SS- Uribe

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2007, 11:39 PM
I remember in the 1970s when a young third baseman hit a triple in his major league debut for the Sox, and he looked great, and the Sox manager told reporters after the game that they had seen the debut of a Hall of Fame career.

I remember a lot of baseball. I remember specific details of the hundreds of games I've been to and the many more I watched on television. I even remember leads of stories in the Tribune the next day. But for the life of me, I can't remember the name of that rookie. That was how much of an impression he made for the rest of his career.

Edit: I just remembered it was former first-round draft pick Kevin Bell, who averaged 1 hit for every 9 at bats in his career -- .222. Paul Richards should have known better, especially considering the Sox lost 10-2 that night.
It is SO weird that you mention that because my dad worked with the Iowa Oaks when he was around and after he got called up he stopped by Iowa to pick some stuff up and my dad asked him "How is it going?" And he said "Danny, the ball looks thiiiis big!"

TDog
06-01-2007, 11:42 PM
I wouldn't mind keeping Owens in the leadoff role. I've always said I think Erstad would be better suited lower in the lineup.

I love the idea of

LF-Owens
2B- Iguchi
DH-Thome
RF- Dye
1B- Konerko
C- AJ
3B- Crede
CF- Erstad
SS- Uribe

Erstad would probably be best suited to bat second. He's certainly more suited to bat second than Iguchi is.

MeteorsSox4367
06-01-2007, 11:43 PM
TDog: Nice work with the Kevin Bell reference. Didn't he blow out his knee sliding into the plate in a game against Oakland, pretty much ending his career?

FedEx227
06-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Erstad would probably be best suited to bat second. He's certainly more suited to bat second than Iguchi is.

I don't believe that's true at all. Iguchi is far better at hitting to the right side, plus he induces more grounders than Erstad. Add in the fact that despite Iguchi's struggles this season his OBP is STILL better than Erstad's.

Number two hitter is all about hitting to the right side, getting gap shots and seeing lots of pitches, Iguchi excels over Erstad in all of those categories.

kidmccarthy
06-02-2007, 12:05 AM
Its pretty simple with Iguchi. When there is a fast runner on before him, he will get more fastballs. Therefore he will hit around 300. he cant hit a changeup or slider low and away to save his life. But when a speed threat is on, he will get at least one or two more fastballs per AB. Thats why it is so crucial for Jerry to get on and mess with the pitcher, Ala Pods in 05.

California Sox
06-02-2007, 12:13 AM
In defense of Owens as a "26 year-old career minor leaguer": He's behind other guys his age because of football. He's from the same draft class as Anderson and hasn't repeated a level until this year in AAA. He might not be the second coming of Ty Cobb, but he could be the next Rudy Law and compared to some of the production we've been getting from the outfield, that would not be all bad.

Good to see the guy off to a decent start.

WhiteSox5187
06-02-2007, 12:16 AM

I love the idea of

LF-Owens
2B- Iguchi
DH-Thome
RF- Dye
1B- Konerko
C- AJ
3B- Crede
CF- Erstad
SS- Uribe
If Owens can keep it up, yes, I love that lineup, but I also wouldn't mind seeing Erstad batting second either. But Iguchi has shown he can get the job done. Also IF Scotty is 100% when he comes back (a big if) you have a hell of a fourth outfielder and a lot of speed off the bench.

roadrunner
06-02-2007, 01:08 AM

I love the idea of

LF-Owens
2B- Iguchi
DH-Thome
RF- Dye
1B- Konerko
C- AJ
3B- Crede
CF- Erstad
SS- Uribe

I like that lineup alot. It looks well balanced from top to bottom and in terms of L/R.

I liked the look of the outfield in the ninth inning of this game. Terrero in center and owens in left has the potential to be a real nice defensive outfield. I hope Ozzie significantly increases his usage of Terrero regardless of the the pitching matchup. In terms of Terrero/Mack, I would prefer the defense. It's not enough of an offensive upgrade. Defensively, Terrero seems way better than Mack and that could really help the staff and work to our advantage in close games. It would also upgrade two positions defensively. (Owens > Mack in left and Terrero > Owens in center)

FarWestChicago
06-02-2007, 07:32 AM
It's one game. Calm down.

Gosh darn, I hope you are right, but let's at least give the kid a chance to prove he is ready before saddling him with a bunch of superstar expectations...Have you seen the rest of this guys posts? We aren't dealing with a rocket surgeon here. :D:

oeo
06-02-2007, 02:04 PM

Edit: I just remembered it was former first-round draft pick Kevin Bell, who averaged 2 hits for every 9 at bats in his career -- .222. Paul Richards should have known better, especially considering the Sox lost 10-2 that night.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it is entirely possible that Owens could be a late bloomer. He's improved every year, besides last year in his first year in AAA...but came storming back this year.

Frater Perdurabo
06-02-2007, 03:00 PM
I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it is entirely possible that Owens could be a late bloomer. He's improved every year, besides last year in his first year in AAA...but came storming back this year.

Good point. Pods also was a late bloomer.

California Sox
06-02-2007, 03:33 PM
Good point. Pods also was a late bloomer.

But Pods was a high pick out of high school. I believe he played something like 8 years in the minors before he got a good shot with the Brewers. Owens played 2 years of football at UCLA and then transferred to noted baseball powerhouse The Master's College. It shouldn't be surprising that he's reached the majors older than most.

hi im skot
06-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Can Owens pitch?

IndianWhiteSox
06-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Have you seen the rest of this guys posts? We aren't dealing with a rocket surgeon here. :D:

A ROCKET SURGEON? You mean a rocket scientist or brain surgeon were not dealing with here?

If that was supposed to be sarcastic, then whatever.

But anyway, that new guy was nuts! Thank god he got banned! All of his threads and posts are idiotic.

FedEx227
06-02-2007, 04:59 PM
A ROCKET SURGEON? You mean a rocket scientist or brain surgeon were not dealing with here?

If that was supposed to be sarcastic, then whatever.

But anyway, that new guy was nuts! Thank god he got banned! All of his threads and posts are idiotic.

Don't worry FarWest, I got the joke.

FarWestChicago
06-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Don't worry FarWest, I got the joke.Thank you. :smile:

IndianWhiteSox
06-03-2007, 06:38 AM
Thank you. :smile:

Don't worry FarWest, I got the joke.

OK, that was a little odd of me to miss that one.

Gregory Pratt
06-05-2007, 06:58 PM
But Pods was a high pick out of high school. I believe he played something like 8 years in the minors before he got a good shot with the Brewers. Owens played 2 years of football at UCLA and then transferred to noted baseball powerhouse The Master's College. It shouldn't be surprising that he's reached the majors older than most.

Pods got a late start because he's terrible in the outfield.

delben91
06-05-2007, 07:46 PM
OK, that was a little odd of me to miss that one.

I believe DJ once referred to understanding some aspect of baseball as "not exactly rocket surgery." I imagine that's the joke at hand.

I could be entirely off base there though.

DickAllen72
06-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Looks like Walker got to Owens already.

thomas35forever
06-05-2007, 11:58 PM
Oh no. Owens went 1 for 5 tonight. Guess his career is screwed now.

oeo
06-05-2007, 11:59 PM

Owens has actually been quite unlucky...I still like what I'm seeing from him. Eventually those hard hit balls are going to fall for hits.

DrewSox56
06-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Owens has actually been quite unlucky...I still like what I'm seeing from him. Eventually those hard hit balls are going to fall for hits.

What hard hit balls? :dunno:

oeo
06-06-2007, 12:02 AM

He's hit two in the last two days, right at Melky Cabrera. Had another one that was robbed by Vernon Wells on Sunday, as well. Those three falling, alone, and his average is a nice .296.

chisoxmike
06-06-2007, 12:41 AM

Yes, I'm already sold.

How's he looking now?

IlliniSox4Life
06-06-2007, 12:46 AM
Owens has looked alright at the plate. His approach has been good. With so few total plate appearances to judge him on, it's hard to tell if he just isn't that good or if he's had some bad luck. But he hasn't looked lost.

dickallen15
06-06-2007, 08:13 AM
He's hit two in the last two days, right at Melky Cabrera. Had another one that was robbed by Vernon Wells on Sunday, as well. Those three falling, alone, and his average is a nice .296.
So if everything falls in, he's hitting .296. There are a couple of problems. In the major leagues not everything falls in, and if it did, that .296 would also be his OBP. If they want to play him, fine. Having him leadoff is silly.

soxfan13
06-06-2007, 10:45 AM

Owens has looked alright at the plate. His approach has been good. With so few total plate appearances to judge him on, it's hard to tell if he just isn't that good or if he's had some bad luck. But he hasn't looked lost.

So if everything falls in, he's hitting .296. There are a couple of problems. In the major leagues not everything falls in, and if it did, that .296 would also be his OBP. If they want to play him, fine. Having him leadoff is silly.

Agree with Dick here, he should not be leading off. I dont care how fast he is. To me he looks like he is completely lost at the plate and is looking fastball every pitch. I think the report is out on him to throw offspeed and you are pretty much assured an out.

CLR01
06-06-2007, 10:56 AM
Agree with Dick here, he should not be leading off. I dont care how fast he is. To me he looks like he is completely lost at the plate and is looking fastball every pitch. I think the report is out on him to throw offspeed and you are pretty much assured an out.

But that's true of the whole damn team.

soxfan13
06-06-2007, 11:33 AM
But that's true of the whole damn team.

Yeah you got me there:wink:

oeo
06-06-2007, 12:39 PM

I understand not everything falls...not everything falls in the minors either. My point is, if he keeps hitting balls like that, they're going to find the gap/get in front of the centerfielder instead of hanging up.

True that he hasn't shown any patience, but we don't have leadoff hitter right now. I guess we could insert Gooch in there, but at the same time, he's swinging a hot bat; I don't know if we should move him again.

tick53
06-08-2007, 07:03 PM
"Who's your Messiah now Moses?":D: