PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Thats more like it 6-1 Postgame Thread

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Yay javy

Grzegorz
06-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Nice; good start for Owens. Excellent pitching by Vasquez.

Go get them tomorrow and go into the Yankees series on a high note.

WhiteSox5187
I just said this is in another post, but it bears repeating, let's go out there tommorrow and win, then win on Sunday. Let's get some god damned momentum going! This thing aint' over folks, it doesn't look good, but we sure as hell ain't dead.

BeviBall!
Speed kills!

hawkjt
06-01-2007, 08:50 PM
javvy, owens and tadahito were the story tonite.. oh what a relief it was to just have bobby take the mound after javvy.

ok, that's one in a row.. lets salvage this week with a couple more wins up north..

cheezheadsoxfan
Real nice job by Javy. :bandance:
And Bobby didn't make it interesting in the 9th thank God.

hi im skot
I (heart) Jerry Owens.

Javy...spectacular!

Frater Perdurabo
06-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Jerry Owens for the Hall of Fame!

Maybe, just maybe, the Sox might have someone who could develop into a decent leadoff hitter?

Another thing to consider: for two games in a row, Sox starters have pitched eight excellent innings. The less the Sox middle relievers have to pitch, the better off they are!

ChicagoHoosier
06-01-2007, 08:52 PM
We've proven we can beat the Yankees. Can we go on a run here? Maybe, including tonight, win 5/6 going the next weekend with some beatable opponents?

Javy is the man!

HotelWhiteSox
06-01-2007, 08:53 PM
When your pen's going ****ty, just don't use them at all, nice job Javy

JB98
06-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Thankfully, the good Vazquez showed up tonight. Typically, it takes a great pitching performance to stop a wretched losing streak. Buerhle stepped up last night, but we fell short. Today, Vazquez made it impossible for us to lose.

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2007, 08:55 PM
God Allmight, we were out of it last night and now people are talking about winning seven in a row? Easy there folks, let's just take it one game at a time. Let's go out there and get a win tommorrow.

kwkonsl
06-01-2007, 08:56 PM
Javy looked great. Two straight games by the starters going 8 innings is very nice giving our struggling bullpen some time off. I know it was a win and everything but I couldn't help but notice that we still look pretty bad in the box. With the exception of Owens, Uribe, and Gooch the hittting was horrible. I think somewhere in the neighborhood of 13 strikeouts tonight. We have to put the ball in play at the very least. Ok enough with the negative stuff because this was a solid win and hopefully it with get everyone going.

wassagstdu
Good game. Vazquez looked great. Outstanding play by Dye throwing out Phillips in the 2nd (hope those Giants scouts were there to see it). I really liked the third run because it brought back 2005. Iguchi is just a different hitter in situations like that. And two thumbs up for Jerry Owens.

Tragg
Way to go Javier. Pitching like that is teh best slump buster there is (except it didn't work yesterday).

How did Owens look? Were his hits hard-hit?

Frontman
06-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Good job all! Man, Coop looked like we all felt when that game ended.

Yeeeeeus!

Can we keep Owens, please?

JB98
06-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Way to go Javier. Pitching like that is teh best slump buster there is (except it didn't work yesterday).

How did Owens look? Were his hits hard-hit?

The double was a pretty solid shot. The second one was in the right spot. He legged out an infield hit.

Palpidious
06-01-2007, 08:59 PM
they got pumped up by the fight in the dugout?

JB98
06-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Javy looked great. Two straight games by the starters going 8 innings is very nice giving our struggling bullpen some time off. I know it was a win and everything but I couldn't help but notice that we still look pretty bad in the box. With the exception of Owens, Uribe, and Gooch the hittting was horrible. I think somewhere in the neighborhood of 13 strikeouts tonight. We have to put the ball in play at the very least. Ok enough with the negative stuff because this was a solid win and hopefully it with get everyone going.

Burnett had a nasty slider tonight. The middle of our order did look foolish. Nothing from three through six tonight. Owens and Iguchi did a tremendous job of producing the runs.

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2007, 09:00 PM
The double was a pretty solid shot. The second one was in the right spot. He legged out an infield hit.
He looked GREAT tonight, but you don't judge a career after one game. As I recall Brian Anderson had three hits in opening night of 2006. I like what I saw out of him tonight, but the jury is still out as far as I'm concerned.

sox1970
06-01-2007, 09:02 PM
June: 1 down; 20 to go.

KRS1
06-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Owens already making an impact with his wheels, and his bat. Nice hits, nice clean steal.

JB98
06-01-2007, 09:04 PM
He looked GREAT tonight, but you don't judge a career after one game. As I recall Brian Anderson had three hits in opening night of 2006. I like what I saw out of him tonight, but the jury is still out as far as I'm concerned.

No question. The speed makes him intriguing though. Even when he's swinging the bat poorly, he should be able to mix in some infield hits.

SoxandtheCityTee
06-01-2007, 09:04 PM
The losing streak is OVAH. Javy sailing through 8 innings is impressive.

Owens appears to supply a bit of badly needed speed, to say nothing of the 2 hits and 2 runs scored. Do I detect Tadahito liking the two spot with decent speed leading off ahead of him again? That would be sweet.

OK, I'm calm now. Let's just get the ship righted while all the media focusses on the Battle of the Battery.

nedlug
06-01-2007, 09:07 PM
OK, no more of this sub-.500 stuff the rest of the year...

TDog
06-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Good things happen when Vazquez starts and the other team doesn't score 11.

Better things happen when the other team doesn't score at all.

It's not just a win, but a win that no one here is calling ugly. Way to go, guys.

Grzegorz
06-01-2007, 09:12 PM
June: 1 down; 20 to go.

That's right; with a team like this the most important game is the next game.

Noneck
06-01-2007, 09:12 PM
That dugout looked like they won the Division.

Frontman
06-01-2007, 09:14 PM
Burnett had a nasty slider tonight. The middle of our order did look foolish. Nothing from three through six tonight. Owens and Iguchi did a tremendous job of producing the runs.

But that's what's been missing. The team hasn't tried to pick each other up, or at least have been successful in covering for each other. I hope this keeps them rolling in the right direction.

mark2olson
06-01-2007, 09:15 PM
God Allmight, we were out of it last night and now people are talking about winning seven in a row? Easy there folks, let's just take it one game at a time. Let's go out there and get a win tommorrow.

Agreed. Go out there tomorrow, execute and produce.

UserNameBlank
06-01-2007, 09:22 PM
I agree, but get ready for some serious Owens love because it's coming.

It's Dankerific
06-01-2007, 09:23 PM

I believe, (according to Hawk and DJ), that was a Curveball

SoxSpeed22
06-01-2007, 09:24 PM
That's what you need to get out of a bad streak, have your starter throw 8 shutout innings and your closer shut the door. Owens gave this team a very nice breath of fresh air with the elaborate concept of base-stealing. Also good to see Iguchi going to right more. Burnett was filthy after giving up those two runs until the 8th, but Javy kept 'em off. Let's hope Jose can do the same tomorrow.

KRS1
06-01-2007, 09:30 PM

I could be wrong here, but doesnt AJ throw a Knuckle-curve? It can have slider or a curve movement depending on how hard you throw it.

ShoelessJoeS
06-01-2007, 09:46 PM
Starter -----> Jenks

If only we could do this everytime.

TFLEM33
06-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Good pitching always covers up bad hitting. Great job by Javy tonight. Glad to see that he decided to step it up and end this losing streak. Owens looked good tonight, but I am cautiously optimistic. I liked the speed, energy, and scrappy play he brought to the game. Hopefully it continues... You never know, maybe Erstad's injury has found our leadoff hitter of the future. Let's go out and get 'em tomorrow!

PeteWard
06-01-2007, 09:56 PM
I just said this is in another post, but it bears repeating, let's go out there tommorrow and win, then win on Sunday. Let's get some god damned momentum going! This thing aint' over folks, it doesn't look good, but we sure as hell ain't dead.

Sox are 1 game...1 GAME...behind in the loss column for the wild card.

Of course they aren't dead.

:mad:

chisoxfanatic
06-01-2007, 09:57 PM
I don't know if you guys caught it at the conclusion of the game, but there was quite a bit of celebrating in that Sox dugout. Maybe this is exactly what they need to go on at least a decent tear. We're facing a struggling pitcher tomorrow, so our hitters oughtta get some good work in.

I'm so proud of Javy for what he was able to do tonight. In addition, it's great to NOT have to use the bullpen, except for Jenks. The less those guys have to work right now, the better.

Owens hopefully can play like this the more he plays.

FedEx227
06-01-2007, 10:22 PM

To me it appeared to be a Knuckle-curve, which I know he has.

EDIT: Just saw your post KRS1 sorry for brining up same point. But I'm pretty sure from catching enough of my friends stuff that it was a knuckle-curve, it has a really vicious side-to-side movement that appears to be a slider.

russ99
06-01-2007, 10:25 PM
I don't know if you guys caught it at the conclusion of the game, but there was quite a bit of celebrating in that Sox dugout.

Then after the game, Ozzie had a closed-door meeting with the team, mainly to tell them that he still believes in them. Took some of the guys by surprise, but reportedly it was quite well received.

I hope this is the thing to get the Sox rolling again.

Owens looked darn good. Let's see where he is after 100 ABs.
Great outing by Javy!

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2007, 10:35 PM

Looking around the board the past couple of nights, you would have sworn that they were.

As for the Owens love, I'm not going to lie, I was very very impressed. We put a kid into the leadoff spot, a high pressure spot, and he came through. I love his speed, but as someone else said, with a team like this the most important game is tommorrow's. I hope Owens keeps hitting like this and I hope we see his speed on the basepaths an awful lot. Let's go get 'em tommorrow.

rocky biddle
06-01-2007, 10:53 PM

No, you're wrong. The all-knowing Chicago media has informed me that I should be on the lookout for White Flag Trade Part 2. They wouldn't lie to me, especially not concerning their beloved Chicago White Sox.

thomas35forever
06-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Here's the situation: we won a game tonight. We win one tomorrow, that's two in a row. We win the game after that, that's called a winning streak. It HAS happened before.

chisoxfanatic
06-01-2007, 11:11 PM
An aside note: Wasn't it hilarious that Hawk found another great moment to get in a dig at Jay Mariotti?

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2007, 11:14 PM
Here's the situation: we won a game tonight. We win one tomorrow, that's two in a row. We win the game after that, that's called a winning streak. It HAS happened before.
This team, and us fans, should just worry about getting the win tommorrow.

Brian26
06-01-2007, 11:21 PM
I'm so proud of Javy for what he was able to do tonight.

Javy owns Toronto when pitching in their park.

From 8/5/06: Vazquez (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/V/Pvazqj001.htm) W(10-6)- 8IP - 2H - 1R - 1ER - 2BB - 13K - 1HR

From 6/1/07 Vazquez W(3-3)- 8IP - 6H - 0R - 0ER -2BB - 5K -0HR

BoysMom3
06-01-2007, 11:24 PM
That felt great. Let's keep it up.

Palehose Pete
06-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Woo freakin' hoo!

Finally. Whew. :bandance:

Foulke You
06-01-2007, 11:42 PM
A WIN!! I hear the parade is scheduled for 1PM tomorrow on LaSalle St.:tongue:

Seriously though, this win felt great. We hadn't won one since LAST Friday against the Rays.:o: Well, we got a split against their two best starters. Hopefully, the offense will wake up against the rest of the Toronto rotation and we can take this series.

goon
06-01-2007, 11:58 PM
Didn't get to see the whole game, but Javy going 8 innings is awesome to hear about. Owens had a great game, as did Iguchi, which is the really good news... maybe if Owens can develop into a decent leadoff hitter, Tadahito can get into a good mindset at the plate and start hitting, which could only lead to good things for the rest of the offense. Maybe I am looking too much into it but those two battled against a really good pitcher tonight that the rest of the lineup couldn't touch.

Hopefully the bullpen got the "rest" it has needed.

StillMissOzzie
06-02-2007, 12:11 AM

Thanks, Lou!

An aside note: Wasn't it hilarious that Hawk found another great moment to get in a dig at Jay Mariotti?

How so? What did I miss?

Between my son's game and catching most of the rest on the radio, I didn't see hardly any of the game but Jenks in the 9th. And it was great to see Jenks in the 9th, knowing he's not just getting some work in to blow off the rust. But based on what I heard on the radio, that 3rd run was SPEED, SPEED, and MORE SPEED:
Owens beating out an infield hit...SPEED
Owens easily stealing 2nd...SPEED
Owens easily scoring from 2nd...MORE SPEED.

Something this team has missed, between Pods and Pablo going down.
Me likey! :bandance:

SMO
:gulp:

Foulke You
06-02-2007, 12:39 AM
How so? What did I miss?
Hawk and DJ began a conversation about the Sox offense. They talked about how NOBODY around baseball from players, scouts, media, and coaches they've talked to can believe how poorly the Sox are hitting given the talent in the lineup. They stressed how nobody could have predicted that which I would have to whole heartedly agree with. Then Hawk said...and I'm paraphrasing here: "well, nobody claims to know this was going to happen except Jay Mariotti...boy I tell you what. Did you read what Mariotti wrote today DJ? Another innane, inept, incorrect piece of writing." Hawk continued his rant saying that everyone knows Mariotti is anti Reinsdorf, anti-Bulls, as well as being anti-Sox. Pretty standard Hawk anti-Mariotti rant. I love the Hawkeroo and I get just as frustrated about the Windsock as much he does but I wonder if PHG's "ignore the mediots" stance is the best way to go. Give that idiot no extra pub.

rocky biddle
06-02-2007, 07:26 AM
Hawk and DJ began a conversation about the Sox offense. They talked about how NOBODY around baseball from players, scouts, media, and coaches they've talked to can believe how poorly the Sox are hitting given the talent in the lineup. They stressed how nobody could have predicted that which I would have to whole heartedly agree with. Then Hawk said...and I'm paraphrasing here: "well, nobody claims to know this was going to happen except the Windsock...boy I tell you what. Did you read what the Windsock wrote today DJ? Another innane, inept, incorrect piece of writing." Hawk continued his rant saying that everyone knows the Windsock is anti Reinsdorf, anti-Bulls, as well as being anti-Sox. Pretty standard Hawk anti-Windsock rant. I love the Hawkeroo and I get just as frustrated about the Windsock as much he does but I wonder if PHG's "ignore the mediots" stance is the best way to go. Give that idiot no extra pub.

I wish Hawk would just ignore the smarmy little pissant. Talking about him on the broadcast is just playing right into his hands. He's nothing but a shock jock with a laptop. Since he has no actual journalistic ability, he has to count on controversy to get readers. Talking about it is giving him exactly what he wants. I've emailed Hawk a few times to explain this and ask him to at the very least, not use the Windsock's real name. If you ignore an attention seeker, they are eventually forced to go away.

He feeds off hatred, indifference is the only thing that can stop him.

(btw- I edited your post in the quote to make the columnist's name the Windsock. I hope you don't mind. I can't stand seeing his real name).

Railsplitter
06-02-2007, 07:38 AM
Where have they been hiding this guy Owens?

LongLiveFisk
06-02-2007, 07:46 AM
I wish Hawk would just ignore the smarmy little pissant. Talking about him on the broadcast is just playing right into his hands. He's nothing but a shock jock with a laptop. Since he has no actual journalistic ability, he has to count on controversy to get readers. Talking about it is giving him exactly what he wants. I've emailed Hawk a few times to explain this and ask him to at the very least, not use the Windsock's real name. If you ignore an attention seeker, they are eventually forced to go away.

He feeds off hatred, indifference is the only thing that can stop him.

(btw- I edited your post in the quote to make the columnist's name the Windsock. I hope you don't mind. I can't stand seeing his real name).

I agree with this. This is a person that loves attention and apparently, the more negative the better. Everyone knows he's an idiot, Hawk. Don't give him a reason to think he's one up on you.

Anyway, the Sox won so screw the Windsock! :neener:

ilsox7
06-02-2007, 07:48 AM
I agree with this. This is a person that loves attention and apparently, the more negative the better. Everyone knows he's an idiot, Hawk. Don't give him a reason to think he's one up on you.

Anyway, the Sox won so screw the Windsock! :neener:

Hawk loves the attention, too. I used to really like Hawk. But he has gone down the wrong path on several things the last couple of years, IMO. He is OK if the Sox are going well now, but if the Sox are not going well, he is one of the worst announcers I have ever heard.

harwar
06-02-2007, 08:02 AM
All the cub media stuff aside,it does my heart good to see the pitching in the last two games and watching that kid Owens running the bases is a joy.
I really think that the starting pitchers on this club have the chance to be something special this year,especially when these good hitters we have start to perform up to their ability.

IndianWhiteSox
06-02-2007, 08:44 AM
About time I go to update my damn sig. If this guy has the D behind him and he's mentally on, no one can stop him.
:cool:

MRM
06-02-2007, 08:53 AM
Where have they been hiding this guy Owens?

He fell out of favor a couple of years ago when he decided to leave winter ball early, without permission of the Sox, when Ozzie wanted him working on specific things. The original plan was for Owens to compete with Anderson for the CF job last year, but when he pulled that stunt the job was pretty much handed to BA.