PDA

View Full Version : It's official: Owens up; Erstad on 15D DL with "sprain"

DickAllen72
06-01-2007, 01:45 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070601&content_id=1998671&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Erstad has a sprained ankle. Owens gets the call.

06-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Only a sprained ankle? I read a few posts yesterday and assumed he had to be euthanized.

SBSoxFan
06-01-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm happy with this move as I'd like to see Owens get on and go. However, 23 of 30 in stolen bases isn't so good. :(:

06-01-2007, 01:51 PM
I'm happy with this move as I'd like to see Owens get on and go. However, 23 of 30 in stolen bases isn't so good. :(:

But I would guess 23 is still more than the 2007 White Sox have.

Mickster
If Owens steals 23 of 30 for the Sox, I'd be ecstatic!

itsnotrequired

Owens has more stolen bases at 23-30 than the entire MLB club (20).

06-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Owens has more stolen bases at 23-30 than the entire MLB club (20).

I just checked. We have 21 total on the year right now :smile:

hawkjt
06-01-2007, 01:53 PM
It is hard to believe that after sox players said they could hear the ''pop'' of his ankle in the dugout , that it still is only sprained?

He is lucky it was not much worse..

itsnotrequired
06-01-2007, 01:54 PM
I just checked. We have 21 total on the year right now :smile:

mlb.com lists 20.

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_team_stats.jsp?statType=1&timeFrame=1&Submit=Submit&groupByTeam=true&baseballScope=mlb&timeSubFrame=2007&sortByStat=SB

:dunno:

IndianWhiteSox
06-01-2007, 01:56 PM
It is hard to believe that after sox players said they could hear the ''pop'' of his ankle in the dugout , that it still is only sprained?

He is lucky it was not much worse..

A sprain is a tear, which is cause by the over-stretching of ligaments here the exact definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprain

DickAllen72
06-01-2007, 01:57 PM
That truly is good news if in fact it is only a sprained ankle. There are different degrees of sprains I guess, so hopefully when he does return he can be at 100% speed.

Meanwhile, I hope Jerry Owens ignites this offense and winds up making Dusty Baker look like a genius by the end of June! :gulp:

IndianWhiteSox
06-01-2007, 01:58 PM
That truly is good news if in fact it is only a sprained ankle. There are different degrees of sprains I guess, so hopefully when he does return he can be at 100% speed.

Meanwhile, I hope Jerry Owens ignites this offense and winds up making Dusty Baker look like a genius by the end of June! :gulp:

:o:

Now I know why the dark clouds are out in full force!
:redneck

Chicken Dinner
06-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Only a sprained ankle? I read a few posts yesterday and assumed he had to be euthanized.

It was kind of made out to be a Barbaro type injury.

hawkjt
06-01-2007, 02:02 PM
ozzie said the jays home park has been an issue... it sure looked greasy when erstad was laying in the batters box... almost muddy.. what is the deal?

Jaffar
06-01-2007, 02:04 PM
I'm hoping Owens can come up and get on base cuz the guy has speed and I'd love to see him succeed.

DickAllen72
06-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Owens, 26, was batting .305 (58-190) with 10 doubles, two home runs, 16 RBI, 36 runs scored and 23 stolen bases (30 attempts) in 48 games with Charlotte. He is tied for the International League in runs scored and ranks second in stolen bases. The 6-foot-3, 190-pound Owens batted .325 (39-120) in May, including a .387 (29-75) average over his last 18 games. He compiled 17 multihit efforts and seven games with two or more steals.

I hope Jerry's numbers transfer over well into the majors. It would be nice for once to actually get some production out of one of our call-ups.

DickAllen72
06-01-2007, 02:10 PM
I hope Owens starts every game in LF and Terrero every game in CF for the next few weeks.

Since Mackowiak is hot, he can get starts at 3B and 2B, and maybe come in late in the game in RF.

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2007, 02:10 PM
That's good news, plus Pods is going on a rehab assignment next week. Hopefully we can get him up and running at 100% soon too.

peeonwrigley
06-01-2007, 02:11 PM

The way he went down, that's what it looked like.

As grindy as he is, he just poured a can of Bud heavy on it and it went from Achilles tear to sprain.

GregO23
06-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Is Owens the leadoff man tonight? He left CHAR early yesterday so im sure he got there for tonight. Hopefully he gets the start and leads off because we need speed desperately. Who else could lead off? Tadihito?

KRS1
06-01-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm very excited to see Jerry get his audition up here. I never got down on the kid as most were after last season. Just look at what he's done from the second half of 06' to today, and you can see the guy has a chance to be an everyday leadoff hitter. He certainly adds a dimension that our team was sorely lacking, in his incredible speed. I just hope we run him out there every day, and not just platoon him in LF with Mackowiack. It's gonna be a little scary with both him and Terrero in starting in the the OF, but perhaps we needed a bit of change to ignite a spark.

whitesoxfan
06-01-2007, 02:17 PM
I'm real hopeful that Owens could be the jump start that this offense needs.

soxfanreggie
06-01-2007, 02:43 PM
WSF...I think we alll echo your statement. I sure hope he can come up and inject some life into the team. We got Thome back, but we're now down not one but two leadoff guys.

SBSoxFan
06-01-2007, 02:49 PM
I hope Owens starts every game in LF and Terrero every game in CF for the next few weeks.

Since Mackowiak is hot, he can get starts at 3B and 2B, and maybe come in late in the game in RF.

I agree. It doesn't sound like you want Owens and his arm in center if it can be avoided.

One question: Will Ozzie let the rookie lead off?

Lip Man 1
06-01-2007, 02:53 PM
The complete diagnosis still isn't known. According to Mark Gonzales, Erstad is undergoing more tests today and another evaluation will be issued this afternoon.

Lip

balke
06-01-2007, 03:04 PM
Another minor league audition. Hopefully things go better this time. I can't believe it took Erstad this long to get injured.

OF issues have to be answered quick for this team. That seems strange since all along it seemed we had so many great OFers coming up in the system.

balke
06-01-2007, 03:05 PM
I agree. It doesn't sound like you want Owens and his arm in center if it can be avoided.

I hope so. What else are they going to do? Iguchi/uribe? ick.

TDog
06-01-2007, 03:20 PM
I don't know that I'm excited to see Owens come up. He has the potential to provide something the Sox need, that being speed. I had high hopes for Brian Anderson that went unfulfilled. I've had hopes for a lot of players before him.

I expected more of Brian Simmons. I expected even more out of Nyls Nyman -- who hit .643 in a September 1974 callup. His on-base percentage was .667, and without hitting any home runs, he slugged .929. He did hit two home runs in 1975, but only batted .226 in what turned out to be his only major league season. Most disappointing was that he was just 10 for 14 in stolen bases.

I hope Owens does well. I'm glad the Sox are working with Sweeney before bringing him back up because I still have high hopes for him. Even if Owens hits .643 in the next couple of weeks, I'm not sure how excited I will be. Wouldn't it be great to find out.

Mostly, I hope Erstad rubs some dirt on it and gets back in the lineup soon.

veeter
06-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Speed doesn't slump and Owens is very fast. AS much as stolen bases, infield hits and being an over all irritant to opponents' pitchers is what I want. I'm happy for him. At 26, the Sox need to figure out if he's in their future. I'd put him in left everyday.

rowand33
06-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Speed doesn't slump and Owens is very fast. AS much as stolen bases, infield hits and being an over all irritant to opponents' pitchers is what I want. I'm happy for him. At 26, the Sox need to figure out if he's in their future. I'd put him in left everyday.

I'm really hoping that Owens does such a good job replacing Erstad that if/when Erstad and/or Pods comes back he'll be an everyday player. I'm sick of Mack playing everyday. I like Mack and think he's a good bench player, but I don't like him as a starter.

With the injuries and mediocre play of the team we badly need one of these prospects to actually play well.

DSpivack
06-01-2007, 03:56 PM
ozzie said the jays home park has been an issue... it sure looked greasy when erstad was laying in the batters box... almost muddy.. what is the deal?

Blame Canada!

credefan24
06-01-2007, 04:02 PM
They're not even a real country anyway!

So here's my wide-eyed optomistic hope for the season. A craptacular first half, and then they tear through the league after the ASB. The main story? The talented play of the White Sox farm system. Book it!! So, it would be sort of like a reverse 2005. Bad first have, great second half! How coold would that be?

Or, maybe I'm just a wide-eyed optomist like Billy Mumphry, who got caught up in the world of international espionage, and was too enthusiastic?

Hitmen77
06-01-2007, 04:16 PM

LMAO!! That is so true. In addition, I assumed that Buehrle and Dye already had their bags backed for white flag trades.

champagne030
06-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Speed doesn't slump and Owens is very fast. AS much as stolen bases, infield hits and being an over all irritant to opponents' pitchers is what I want.

You cannot steal first so he better be able to get on base some other way. Hopefully he can scratch his way on at a decent clip.

thomas35forever
06-01-2007, 04:28 PM
The way he went down, that's what it looked like.

As grindy as he is, he just poured a can of Bud heavy on it and it went from Achilles tear to sprain.

Either that or the dark clouds were trying to get the super optimists on their side.:cool:

munchman33
06-01-2007, 04:39 PM
With the way this season is going, I'd like to see an outfield of Owens in left, BA in center, and Sweeney in right for the rest of the season. If that means trading Dye then so be it. We need to figure out if OF is an offseason need. And I think we can still compete with that outfield this year. Defensively, it's better.

sox1970
06-01-2007, 04:42 PM
With the way this season is going, I'd like to see an outfield of Owens in left, BA in center, and Sweeney in right for the rest of the season. If that means trading Dye then so be it. We need to figure out if OF is an offseason need. And I think we can still compete with that outfield this year. Defensively, it's better.

Let's see how June goes, but if the Sox just play .500 in June, it's time to move on and play the youngsters.

CHIsoxNation
06-01-2007, 04:58 PM

According to Gameday on MLB.com, Owens is leading off.

TDog
06-01-2007, 04:59 PM

If the Sox could draw 3 million fans while taking such an expansion team mentality, you might see that happen.

And the Sox might lose 100 games.

CHIsoxNation
06-01-2007, 05:01 PM
According to Gameday on MLB.com, Owens is leading off.

And he's in CF

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2007, 05:02 PM
Or, maybe I'm just a wide-eyed optomist like Billy Mumphry, who got caught up in the world of international espionage, and was too enthusiastic?
I think you've read too many Billy Mumphry stories...

That'd be nice if that happened, it's not outside the realm of possibility.

munchman33
06-01-2007, 05:15 PM
If the Sox could draw 3 million fans while taking such an expansion team mentality, you might see that happen.

And the Sox might lose 100 games.

The sox won't continue to draw that many fans if they keep playing like this. Our fanbase doesn't stand for mediocrity. And this team is mediocre at best. Play the kids and see what happens.