PDA

View Full Version : MLB takes dead aim at Slingbox

Fenway
06-01-2007, 09:19 AM
I *knew* this would happen :angry:

MLBAM claims the Slingbox is a "transmission-shifting" gadget that effectively puts it in league with broadcast and cable networks, and thus violates MLB's contracts with the networks that carry ball games.

MLB THROWS HISSY FIT OVER SLING TV DEVICE (http://www.nypost.com/seven/06012007/business/big_money_pitch_business_peter_lauria.htm)

kittle42
06-01-2007, 11:25 AM
That's bull****. You're just watching your home TV. GMAB.

ND_Sox_Fan
06-01-2007, 11:44 AM
This is horrible!!!

My buddy is a Slingbox salesman - some of their new products are going to be great (i.e. allowing you to go the other way (computer to TV) and a TV record feature for your computer). I hope this doesn't ruin that fun.

Hey Bud, it is called competition - get over it.

SoxFan78
06-01-2007, 11:52 AM
This is horrible!!!

My buddy is a Slingbox salesman - some of their new products are going to be great (i.e. allowing you to go the other way (computer to TV) and a TV record feature for your computer). I hope this doesn't ruin that fun.

Hey Bud, it is called competition - get over it.

Its not even competition! People are watching games they are supposed to get over their computer, they are following MLB's rules. I dont think Bud has a leg to stand on against this issue.

RKMeibalane
06-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Its not even competition! People are watching games they are supposed to get over their computer, they are following MLB's rules. I dont think Bud has a leg to stand on against this issue.

I'm just amazed that he's wasting his time with this, when he clearly has more important issues to deal with. This guy is such a joke.

downstairs
06-01-2007, 12:59 PM
You know I can use Remote Desktop to log on to a computer in our Chicago offices and watch in-market games?

Go after Microsoft! Yeah, do it, Bud, do it!

russ99
06-01-2007, 01:27 PM
That's bull****. You're just watching your home TV. GMAB.

That is bogus. If the Slingbox were sending to more than one person at a time, then MLB might have a leg to stand on.

Slingbox is wicked-cool. I can watch my own TV while in Switzerland, for instance.

ND_Sox_Fan
06-01-2007, 02:21 PM

It is only competition to the extent that it is a replacement for MLB.tv. If you have a Slingbox, you obviously don't need to buy their product.

eriqjaffe
06-01-2007, 02:39 PM
It is only competition to the extent that it is a replacement for MLB.tv. If you have a Slingbox, you obviously don't need to buy their product.Technically, if you have a long enough cable, you don't need their product, either.

Mickster
06-01-2007, 02:56 PM
It is only competition to the extent that it is a replacement for MLB.tv. If you have a Slingbox, you obviously don't need to buy their product.

What MLB wants is for you to shell of $200 to get the MLB cable package at home and then shell out $15/mo. for the mlb.com package when you are out of the house. Complete bull****.

SoxFan78
06-01-2007, 03:34 PM

But if you dont have the MLB package, you cant watch any other games other then your home teams. If you do have the MLB package, then Bud already has your money. ITs not like you are stealing their product when you are watching games over slingbox.

chaerulez
06-01-2007, 03:55 PM
MLB only cares about one thing: $$$.

ND_Sox_Fan
06-01-2007, 05:57 PM
But if you dont have the MLB package, you cant watch any other games other then your home teams. If you do have the MLB package, then Bud already has your money. ITs not like you are stealing their product when you are watching games over slingbox.

He wants to force you to purchase both. I agree that shelling out the $ for the TV package should qualify you to be able to use your own technology to watch it however you want, but he would rather raise a stink over another few dollars that he can suck out of you for MLB.tv.

Fenway
06-22-2007, 10:50 AM
3 mornings ago I was watching Red Sox-Atlanta from NESN on my slingbox in the hotel lobby.

A senior MLB official ( Jimmie Solomon ) took notice and started watching with me.

He says MLB's case is a slam dunk against slingbox citing
“Any rebroadcast, retransmission or other use of this telecast without the written consent of the Commissioner of Baseball is prohibited.”

He says Slingbox retransmits the game so I can receive it.

I am afraid they may have a valid point :(:

SoxFan78
06-22-2007, 10:56 AM
I just don't understand why MLB would go after slingbox users. Yes, technically it is re-broadcasting of their games. But they are not losing out on any revenue. You are watching baseball games that YOU paid for.

Maybe MLB should give written consent to MLB EI users to watch their package over slingbox.

Or maybe somebody should ask MLB how watching games over Slingbox hurts their brand...

lumpyspun
06-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Slingbox probably screwed themselves when they cut a deal with the NHL. Eventhough the deal with the NHL wasn't necessarily about the issue that Selig has, it probably opened up MLB's eyes that Slingbox was on to something.

Here is an article on the NHL deal:
http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=108&sid=1160315

I guess the only thing Slingbox people can do is piss and moan to anyone who will listen (John Kerry :smile:) just like the Extra Innings crowd did earlier this year!

Fenway
06-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Slingbox probably screwed themselves when they cut a deal with the NHL. Eventhough the deal with the NHL wasn't necessarily about the issue that Selig has, it probably opened up MLB's eyes that Slingbox was on to something.

Here is an article on the NHL deal:
http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=108&sid=1160315

I guess the only thing Slingbox people can do is piss and moan to anyone who will listen (John Kerry :smile:) just like the Extra Innings crowd did earlier this year!

I told him flat out I used slingbox because the quality is better than mlb.com and he conceded the point. 7,000 miles and 12 time zones away the quality was fine ( complete with gawdawful Foxwoods commercials:tongue:)