PDA

View Full Version : The silver lining

DumpJerry
05-31-2007, 10:15 PM
Ok, this might shoot me to the head of the Optimists Club (i.e. the anti-Dark Clouds), but the Erstad situation might be a blessing. This will give our AAA outfielders we have been hearing about for the past 2-3 years a chance to show off their stuff at The Big Show.

Who knows, some of them could rise to the occasion. Sweeney looked pretty good when he was up here.

whitesoxfan
05-31-2007, 10:23 PM
I agree. I can't wait to see some of our young guys out in the OF. I just wish we'd do the same thing in LF as well instead of having Mack start everyday.

credefan24
05-31-2007, 10:25 PM
I agree with Mr. Dump!

The Ranger said that Owens was pulled out of the game in the 7th, while he was in the outfield. Maybe this is the spark? Lets hope so.

Nothing's over till it's over.

rdwj
05-31-2007, 10:36 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Sweeney or BA in the big show to see if we can catch lightning in a bottle. If, in another month, we find ourselves double digits out of a playoff spot, I really wouldn't mind seeing an all-around youth movement.

WhiteSox5187
05-31-2007, 10:40 PM
I think the Silver Lining here is that it is June 1st and there's a lot of baseball left to be played. Oh, and this team has a lot of talent (on paper at least). Minnesota looked dead this time last year. They won 95 games. I'm not going to BS everyone here and say I like how our situation looks, but we're not dead. Not by a long shot.

PAPChiSox729
05-31-2007, 10:41 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Sweeney or BA in the big show to see if we can catch lightning in a bottle. If, in another month, we find ourselves double digits out of a playoff spot, I really wouldn't mind seeing an all-around youth movement.

Well if this team does opt to go that route, I really hope they focus on the middle infield. Iguchi and Uribe just don't seem like answers, and the minor leagues seem a little depleted in that category.

DumpJerry
05-31-2007, 10:44 PM
I think the Silver Lining here is that it is June 1st and there's a lot of baseball left to be played. Oh, and this team has a lot of talent (on paper at least). Minnesota looked dead this time last year. They won 95 games. I'm not going to BS everyone here and say I like how our situation looks, but we're not dead. Not by a long shot.
Another silver lining is the fact we face the Yankees next week for four games. How bad are they? Giambi pulled something in his leg tonight during a home run trot and is out for about 3 week. Clemens will be facing an American League team for only the second time in several years. We all remember what happened the last time he faced an AL team. The Yankees are making the Sox look like a combination of the 1927 Yankees and 2005 White Sox.

oeo
05-31-2007, 10:46 PM
Well if this team does opt to go that route, I really hope they focus on the middle infield. Iguchi and Uribe just don't seem like answers, and the minor leagues seem a little depleted in that category.

Iguchi is a solid second baseman. We do have Chris Getz, who plays 2B, though.

Noneck
05-31-2007, 10:57 PM
I totally agree as long as the AAA's don't collect splinters as Mackowiak and Terrero get the lions share of playing time.

Chicken Dinner
05-31-2007, 11:00 PM
And who"s are back up 1st basemen now?

DumpJerry
05-31-2007, 11:02 PM
With half of Charlotte up here this is what we're looking at:
1. A bunch of 20-something talented baseball players who will jump at the opportunity to show the World they belong in The Big Show.
2. A team with expectations that are so low now, they have nothing to lose and will play balls-out baseball taking no prisoners along the way instead of restrained "we have to be careful to not blow it" baseball that teams with most of their regular 25 play.

Remember, if a player gets to AAA, he's has some serious talent.

DumpJerry
05-31-2007, 11:02 PM
And who"s are back up 1st basemen now?
Our backup can be Thome. He did it last year. He did in Cleveland and Philly.

HotelWhiteSox
05-31-2007, 11:24 PM
I would've rather had both a AAA stud AND Erstad, but I'm not as optimistic with the way our LF situation already is, but not pessimistic enough to think our season is close to over

chisoxmike
06-01-2007, 12:00 AM
Escape this horrid dome tour with a split of this series and a 26-26 record. Go home, regroup, and just find a way.

They have a 7 game home stand with the Yankees and Astros. Go 5-2 or 6-1 and you're back in business. It will be tough. From there, they may be able to roll. June is a easy schedule.

4 vs Yankees
3 vs Astros
3 @ Phillies
3 @ Pittsburgh
3 vs. Marlins
3 vs Cubs
4 @ Tampa Bay
3 @ K.C

If they tank June, the season is over.

sox1970
06-01-2007, 12:07 AM

The Sox are done. They have to go 21-7 in June. They won't do it, therefore they're done.

chisoxmike
06-01-2007, 12:10 AM
The Sox are done. They have to go 21-7 in June. They won't do it, therefore they're done.

I'm trying to be positive. Do I think they're going to come back? Not really. But it's all I got right now. I'm trying not to think about a summer of meaningless baseball...

thomas35forever
06-01-2007, 12:12 AM
The Sox are done. They have to go 21-7 in June. They won't do it, therefore they're done.:darkclouds:
I see you're one step away from the ledge. Feel free to take it at anytime. Anyway, I like what Dump has written. Maybe Jerry Owens will be a spark plug to this team and emerge as one of the best young outfielders in the majors. He could be our best in-season callup since Jenks.

UserNameBlank
06-01-2007, 12:15 AM
:darkclouds:
I see you're one step away from the ledge. Feel free to take it at anytime. Anyway, I like what Dump has written. Maybe Jerry Owens will be a spark plug to this team and emerge as one of the best young outfielders in the majors. He could be our best in-season callup since Jenks.
LMAO

And you say he's on the ledge?

chisoxmike
06-01-2007, 12:16 AM
Maybe Jerry Owens will be a spark plug to this team and emerge as one of the best young outfielders in the majors. He could be our best in-season callup since Jenks.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Someone is reaching...

sox1970
06-01-2007, 12:19 AM

I hope Owens proves me wring, since I've always thought of him as a 4th outfielder type.

As far as the ledge, there really isn't a ledge to jump off of. It would be like saying the Orioles or Blue Jays have a ledge to jump off of. The 2007 Chicago White Sox simply are not good enough. They finished last year 34-43, and they've started this season 24-25. 58-68 over 126 games, with a ****ty offense and a ****ty bullpen, adds up to them finishing around .500 this year at best.

DSpivack
06-01-2007, 01:19 AM
Another silver lining is the fact we face the Yankees next week for four games. How bad are they? Giambi pulled something in his leg tonight during a home run trot and is out for about 3 week. Clemens will be facing an American League team for only the second time in several years. We all remember what happened the last time he faced an AL team. The Yankees are making the Sox look like a combination of the 1927 Yankees and 2005 White Sox.

In my nitpicky interest in the facts, I looked up his stats from last year. Clemens first two starts were interleague. That said, the last time he pitched against the White Sox...:tongue:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/gl.cgi?n1=clemero02&t=p&year=2006

chitownhawkfan
06-01-2007, 02:41 AM
If it makes anybody feel better, on BBTN Dusty Baker boldly predicted the Sox to be within a game of first at the end of June.

To me thats all I needed to hear, it is definitely time to start trading away for prospects.

Unblyleven Bread
06-01-2007, 03:20 AM
:rauch

John Rauch says:

:threadblows:

soxfanatlanta
06-01-2007, 06:06 AM
I'm kinda bummed that Owens is headed for the bigs; I was planning a trip to Charlotte to catch a game or two.

As long as the starters get back to their earlier form, the games will be close. Anything can happen.

DumpJerry
06-01-2007, 06:47 AM
:rauch

John Rauch says:

:threadblows:
I don't care what John Rauch has to say about this thread. Jon Rauch, on the other hand, fully approves of this thread.

Frater Perdurabo
06-01-2007, 07:25 AM
Bring up Sweeney and Anderson. Start both of them. Have them hit 8-9. Live with the results. At the end of the year, we all will have a much better picture of what they can do and if they can be solid contributors in the future.

alohafri
06-01-2007, 07:29 AM
Ok, this might shoot me to the head of the Optimists Club (i.e. the anti-Dark Clouds), but the Erstad situation might be a blessing. This will give our AAA outfielders we have been hearing about for the past 2-3 years a chance to show off their stuff at The Big Show.

Who knows, some of them could rise to the occasion. Sweeney looked pretty good when he was up here.

Actually, this puts you at the head of the Dark Clouds. The Optimists think we will win this year and don't want to see any minor league players.

rainbow6
06-01-2007, 08:29 AM
I too would like to see some combination of Owens/Sweeny/Anderson play regularly for a couple of months, and agree this would be a "silver lining..."

However, if history is any indication, I think Mr. Mackowiac will be wandering around the outfield far to often this summer.

I pray to God I'm wrong.

thegooch
06-01-2007, 08:45 AM
Bring up Sweeney and Anderson. Start both of them. Have them hit 8-9. Live with the results. At the end of the year, we all will have a much better picture of what they can do and if they can be solid contributors in the future.

I totally agree. Mack HAS to ride the pine right now.

Madvora
06-01-2007, 08:48 AM
Escape this horrid dome tour with a split of this series and a 26-26 record. Go home, regroup, and just find a way.

They have a 7 game home stand with the Yankees and Astros. Go 5-2 or 6-1 and you're back in business. It will be tough. From there, they may be able to roll. June is a easy schedule.

4 vs Yankees
3 vs Astros
3 @ Phillies
3 @ Pittsburgh
3 vs. Marlins
3 vs Cubs
4 @ Tampa Bay
3 @ K.C

June being an easy schedule may be the case, but that's assuming we're better than the teams we're playing. Right now it doesn't seem like we can beat anybody. Also, we're chasing three teams. The Twins and Tigers schedule is more difficult with the Mets, Brewers and Braves in there, but the Indians schedule is looking pretty easy.
http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=cle

It's not enough to win just a few games, we have to outperform the other teams in the division. Call me what you want, but I can't see it happening.

cws05champ
06-01-2007, 08:49 AM
Maybe I'm reaching, but hopefully Owens can do for us what Reggie Willits has done for the Angels so far this year.

salty99
06-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Our backup can be Thome. He did it last year. He did in Cleveland and Philly.

Toby Hall

credefan24
06-01-2007, 09:08 AM
It's only June 1, anything can happen, either good or bad. If other teams can have minor leagues step up in the bigs, who is to say that the Sox cannot do the same?

Hopefully Owens, Sweeney or even (gasp!) Anderson can produce?

Nothing is written in stone.

Hitmen77
06-01-2007, 10:03 AM

That's a bit extreme. I agree that things aren't looking good, but why do they "have to go 21-7"? So, if they go 19-9, and are within a couple of games of the wild card spot at the end of June, they're done?:?:

Unblyleven Bread
06-01-2007, 10:09 AM
That's a bit extreme. I agree that things aren't looking good, but why do they "have to go 21-7"? So, if they go 19-9, and are within a couple of games of the wild card spot at the end of June, they're done?:?:

Considering they're 7 games out on June 1, it's perfectly reasonable to presume they'd have to do something unprecedented in team history in order to make the playoffs.

sox1970
06-01-2007, 10:48 AM

They need a hot June and hope the Indians and Tigers lose some games against the NL. The good thing about the Sox is that they'll know where they stand at the Break. My guess is that they'll be about 10-12 games back at the break, and they'll start trading off some players--which is ok if it means a championship in 2009-2010.

SoxxoS
06-01-2007, 11:03 AM
Maybe I'm reaching, but hopefully Owens can do for us what Reggie Willits has done for the Angels so far this year.

You know that is not a bad comparison, but Willits dominated AAA as a 25 year old where Owens regressed...but I am holding out hope.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/W/Reggie-Willits.shtml

minutia
06-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Hey, the Sox had a worse August in 2005 and that turned out ok. Granted they were solidly in first place but I think to say they are done is a bit of an overstatement. I agree with Chisoxmike, end the dome tour and regroup.

By the way, take this for whatever it is worth, but last night on Baseball Tonight Dusty Baker predicted that the Sox will be one game out of first by the end of June.

CubKilla
06-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Hopefully Owens, Sweeney or even (gasp!) Anderson can produce?

The only one that will amount to anything is Sweeney eventually. As for Anderson, when you're bailing out on inside fastballs like decent hitters bail out on knee-buckling curveballs, you have real problems when it comes to handling the bat.

comet2k
06-01-2007, 11:13 AM
One year ago, the Twins were 25-29 and 10.5 games behind the Tigers, yet they ended up winning the division by one game.

On the other hand, the Indians were 27-27 a year ago and ended the season at 78-84.

To all the gloomers and doomers, you may be right, and if you want to bail on the Sox now I understand. Please remember that I have a standing offer to accept any free tickets to Sox games from those who are no longer interested. Just send a PM. thanks.

Thome25
06-01-2007, 11:26 AM

Great Point!!:threadrules:

FielderJones
06-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Considering they're 7 games out on June 1, it's perfectly reasonable to presume they'd have to do something unprecedented in team history in order to make the playoffs.

Be careful of making statements before doing the research.

At the end of play on June 1 1906 (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1906/06011906.htm) the Sox were 8 games out, in 6th place of an 8 team league. That's a much bigger hole than they're in now. They finished the year with the worst batting average of the league. They also won the World Series against the team that holds the National League record for wins in a season, and the Major League record for season winning percentage.

Unprecedented? The 1906 team did not lose between August 2 and August 24 (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1906/VCHA01906.htm) that year. 19 wins and a tie. At this stage 10 in a row would get them right back in it.

INSox56
06-01-2007, 12:37 PM
June being an easy schedule may be the case, but that's assuming we're better than the teams we're playing. Right now it doesn't seem like we can beat anybody. Also, we're chasing three teams. The Twins and Tigers schedule is more difficult with the Mets, Brewers and Braves in there, but the Indians schedule is looking pretty easy.
http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=cle

It's not enough to win just a few games, we have to outperform the other teams in the division. Call me what you want, but I can't see it happening.I started a whole thread about this a few weeks ago. Indians schedule is a friggin joke...especially with how they're hitting (and on top of that, against ****ty NL pitching).

hawkjt
06-01-2007, 01:22 PM
the sox are a whole two games back in the loss column from a wildcard spot in the playoffs... too early to give up..

downstairs
06-01-2007, 01:40 PM
4 vs Yankees
(3-1)

3 vs Astros
(3-0)

3 @ Phillies
(2-1)

3 @ Pittsburgh
(3-0)

3 vs. Marlins
(1-2)

3 vs Cubs
(3-0)

4 @ Tampa Bay
(2-2)

3 @ K.C
(2-1)

19-7

Book it.

Frontman
06-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Yeah, if the Sox are considered dead already, what the heck are we all doing posting here?!?!?!?

Get back to me on July 1 and August 1 with how many games they are out of it. Keep in mind, due to cold weather, we need to make up some head to head matchups with the Tigers and the Indians and the Twins. Those makeup games could be deciding factors if we sweep through them in the makeups.

Hitmen77
06-01-2007, 04:23 PM
the sox are a whole two games back in the loss column from a wildcard spot in the playoffs... too early to give up..

{puts fingers in ears} La-la-la-la-la...we're not listening to rational comments! ....la-la-la-la-la......

Forget it - it's all over NOW! Only a win streak unprecedented in Sox history will put them in the playoffs.

Hitmen77
06-01-2007, 08:45 PM

Owens looked pretty good tonight.:smile:

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Owens looked pretty good tonight.:smile:
I'm not going to crown him after one game. Let's take the next two and get some momentum going into the Yankees series and greet Roger back.

Daver
06-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Every silver lining has a touch of grey.

TDog
06-01-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm not going to crown him after one game. Let's take the next two and get some momentum going into the Yankees series and greet Roger back.

Few people remember that the Sox had a better record after the 1997 white flag trade than before it. They had a worse record in 1998, though. Sometimes silver linings aren't bright enough.

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Few people remember that the Sox had a better record after the 1997 white flag trade than before it. They had a worse record in 1998, though. Sometimes silver linings aren't bright enough.
The BRIGHTEST silver lining we have is that it is June 1st.

There's a lot of baseball to be played and this team does have a LOT of talent. If the top and middle of our order gets hot and we keep pitching well, this team can do some damage. It will take a lot of work to get back into this race and to make the playoffs, but we wouldn't be the first team to get off to a slow start and then make a charge to get into the playoffs.

TDog
06-01-2007, 09:11 PM
The BRIGHTEST silver lining we have is that it is June 1st.

There's a lot of baseball to be played and this team does have a LOT of talent. If the top and middle of our order gets hot and we keep pitching well, this team can do some damage. It will take a lot of work to get back into this race and to make the playoffs, but we wouldn't be the first team to get off to a slow start and then make a charge to get into the playoffs.

The Sox also have very good starting pitching. If the relievers use their May mistakes to make them better pitchers and get the breaks they haven't been getting, the Sox have a shot at being a tough team in the next four months.

Hitmen77
06-01-2007, 10:29 PM

Yes, we should make absolutely no posts here acknowledging that Jerry Owens had a good night tonight. I hereby retract my previous statement that he looked good tonight. I'll try harder to be more negative in the future.

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Yes, we should make absolutely no posts here acknowledging that Jerry Owens had a good night tonight. I hereby retract my previous statement that he looked good tonight. I'll try harder to be more negative in the future.
Did you even read my other posts? THe ones saying how this team isn't dead? How this team can do a lot of damage? Especially coming off last night (the 31st) does that sound particularly negative?