PDA

View Full Version : Remember when we though Hriniak was bad?

nsolo
05-31-2007, 09:15 PM
I used to cringe at those goofy swings the Sox hitter used to take when Walt Hriniak was the hitting coach. It seemed as is everyone in the organization was taught that one handed flat sissy swing.

Yet, considering what we look like now,,,,, I might....... naw, forget it.

Tragg
05-31-2007, 09:23 PM
I used to cringe at those goofy swings the Sox hitter used to take when Walt Hriniak was the hitting coach. It seemed as is everyone in the organization was taught that one handed flat sissy swing.

Yet, considering what we look like now,,,,, I might....... naw, forget it.

You guys know about this more than I do but aren't Frank and Ventura graduates of the Hriniak approach (Sosa flunked out as I recall). Ventura especially.

Daver
05-31-2007, 09:26 PM
You guys know about this more than I do but aren't Frank and Ventura graduates of the Hriniak approach (Sosa flunked out as I recall). Ventura especially.

Frank moreso than Robin actually.

Hrniak's approach only works with hitters that have very good plate discipline, free swingers need not apply.

infohawk
05-31-2007, 09:58 PM
Frank moreso than Robin actually.

Hrniak's approach only works with hitters that have very good plate discipline, free swingers need not apply.
What's Hriniak doing these days. I'm just curious. He hasn't been a full-time hitting coach since the early nineties, if I'm correct.

southsideirish71
05-31-2007, 10:33 PM
What's Hriniak doing these days. I'm just curious. He hasn't been a full-time hitting coach since the early nineties, if I'm correct.

He came for a short period to help out with Uribe in 05. He fixed Uribe with a leg kick timing mechanism. Uribe took off for the rest of 05. Then Walk decided to break down Uribe in the following ST and give him a different mechanism. Uribe is back to being terrible at the plate. Bring Hrniak back if only to fix a few of our guys. Maybe fix Uribe. I would love to see Hrniak work with Sweeney. That is a marriage made in heaven right there.

PatK
06-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Hriniak was from the Charlie Lau style of hitting, IIRC.

Hitting off your front foot (abeit with weight centered), striding before your hand, and one-handed release/extension.

HawkDJ
06-01-2007, 12:43 PM

He came for a short period to help out with Uribe in 05. He fixed Uribe with a leg kick timing mechanism

Hm...these seem to be contradicting statements.

tick53
06-02-2007, 02:19 PM

Frank brought him back as a special coach a few years back to help him regain his power. '04 or '05 I think.

MRM
06-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Hriniak was from the Charlie Lau style of hitting, IIRC.

Hitting off your front foot (abeit with weight centered), striding before your hand, and one-handed release/extension.

That's absolutely correct. Lau literally wrote a book on the theory called "The art of hitting .300" and had disciples in George Brett and, of course, the bulk of the '83 division winning Sox (Including Walker).

kevingrt
06-02-2007, 04:29 PM
In 2004 didn't Hriniak come in for a couple days to get Frank on track or was that '05?