PDA

View Full Version : Erstads Going On Dl!

MySoxAreClean
05-31-2007, 08:25 PM
Ligament damage , going on DL

No Pods, ANDERSON comming back?
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070531&content_id=1997487&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

esbrechtel
05-31-2007, 08:27 PM
have they said how bad? we cant be without every leadoff hitter we have...ozuna, pods, erstad....whats next BAAA to bat leadoff....

Frontman
05-31-2007, 08:28 PM
For cryin' out loud, do we need all of the good luck from 05 to balance itself out in 07 when it comes to injuries?!?!?!?!?

Hall
Pods
Thome
Cintron (not true injury, but time off anyways)
Uribe
Ozuna
Erstad

I'd throw Paulie on that list, but at least that day off could count as just a day off.

I just can't believe how our luck's going this season.

oeo
05-31-2007, 08:29 PM
Ligament damage , going on DL

No Pods, ANDERSON comming back?
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070531&content_id=1997487&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Brian's batting a hefty .255 in AAA...please no.

CLR01
05-31-2007, 08:30 PM
http://whitesoxinteractive.com/chisox716/tears.jpg

Owens has been pulled from the Charlotte game. Has he ever played center or will we be graced with Mack in CF. :puking:

UserNameBlank
You are so right. Let's put Mack back in CF.

JB98

I hate Anderson's offense. God knows, I hate it. But what do we do defensively in CF? Terrero every day? Owens isn't that good in the outfield.

oeo
05-31-2007, 08:31 PM
Owens has been pulled from the Charlotte game. Has he ever played center or will we be graced with Mack in CF. :puking:

Terrero...hopefully.

infohawk
05-31-2007, 08:31 PM
Mack can't run very well right now.

oeo
05-31-2007, 08:32 PM
I hate Anderson's offense. God knows, I hate it. But what do we do defensively in CF? Terrero every day? Owens isn't that good in the outfield.

I'd say yes to Terrero everyday, until he proves he can't handle it.

I wonder what the plan is as to who is going to lead off. This should be interesting.

MySoxAreClean
trade the OZzie bashers to Phily for A Rowand

chitownhawkfan
As much as it pains me to say this being a BA detractor I think you have to bring him back. At this point the playoffs don't look realistic, bring up BA let him play out the season and start trading everybody.

CLR01
05-31-2007, 08:34 PM

Does he ever?

JB98
05-31-2007, 08:36 PM
As much as it pains me to say this being a BA detractor I think you have to bring him back. At this point the playoffs don't look realistic, bring up BA let him play out the season and start trading everybody.

I also am a harsh BA critic, but I don't disagree with you. Put him in there and see what happens. People can't use the "lack of ABs" excuse now. He's been playing everyday in Charlotte. He's 25 years old. He's not a prospect any longer. Sink or swim time.

Regardless, though, I think Owens is going to get the callup.

salty99
Please no Mack in center. I would rather see Anderson out there than Terrero.

itsnotrequired
Third time's a charm. Anderson is going to come up and eat a truck. Get ready...

CLR01
05-31-2007, 08:37 PM
Regardless, though, I think Owens is going to get the callup.

He's already packing his bags.

DumpJerry
Does he ever?
Am I ever glad to see you're online, CLR! I was going to send a suicide-prevention team to your house as soon as I heard Tony went down.

Memo to Kenny: Do whatever it takes to trade for and sign Ichiro. Tonight!

cws05champ
Erstad getting hurt is Ozzie's fault, he should have never had him bat in that spot!!!

salty99
05-31-2007, 08:38 PM
He's already packing his bags.

Well let's see what this kid can do.

gobears1987
For cryin' out loud, do we need all of the good luck from 05 to balance itself out in 07 when it comes to injuries?!?!?!?!?

Hall
Pods
Thome
Uribe
Ozuna
Erstad

I'd throw Paulie on that list, but at least that day off could count as just a day off.

I just can't believe how our luck's going this season.You can also add Crede to the list.

CLR01
Am I ever glad to see you're online, CLR! I was going to send a suicide-prevention team to your house as soon as I heard Tony went down.

INR and I have had a rough night but we're pulling through. We have sent flowers to every hospital in Chicago just in case.

oeo

Why? At this point, it doesn't look like Ichiro is going to make us a playoff contender. We'll still have an opening in the outfield, we'll still have the same slow lineup. I'm all for signing him as a free agent, but don't trade for him now.

itsnotrequired
05-31-2007, 08:39 PM

CLR01's love for Erstad pales in comparison to your's truly. Once agin, he doesn't make Erstad the PTC. Talk about a hater...

sox1970
05-31-2007, 08:40 PM
Jerry Owens has been pulled from the Charlotte game. He was 2-4 tonight, and is batting .305. He'll be up tomorrow, I assume.

Edit: I missed CLR's post.

itsnotrequired
05-31-2007, 08:40 PM
INR and I have had a rough night but we're pulling through. We have sent flowers to every hospital in Chicago just in case.

I threw an octopus on the ice in his honor. Read it and weep.

oeo
05-31-2007, 08:41 PM
Well let's see what this kid can do.

I'm really excited to see what he can do. He's having a great year, it would be nice if we could have a call-up that succeeds.

chitownhawkfan
05-31-2007, 08:42 PM
Why? At this point, it doesn't look like Ichiro is going to make us a playoff contender. We'll still have an opening in the outfield, we'll still have the same slow lineup. I'm all for signing him as a free agent, but don't trade for him now.

Agreed. I don't think this lineup is capable of getting us past two of the three teams in front of us. I'd love to see Ichiro in a Sox uniform next year signed to a multi year deal. Buehrle I wouldn't mind keeping because of his durability but at this point you have to start moving Dye, Crede, Javy, or at least wait till their value goes up. But inserting Ichiro into this lineup would be like covering a gunshot with a Band Aid.

MySoxAreClean
05-31-2007, 08:42 PM
:gulp: Mike Ditka! He can play the whole outfield by him self. DITKA!

MySoxAreClean
05-31-2007, 08:43 PM
Jacque Jones anyone?

CLR01
I threw an octopus on the ice in his honor. Read it and weep.

:rolleyes:

Ersty's initials are embroidered on the tag on my underwear. :unsure:

itsnotrequired
:gulp: Mike Ditka! He can play the whole outfield by him self. DITKA!

Erstad is like a couple Ditkas taped together.

DumpJerry
05-31-2007, 08:44 PM
Why? Because if he is not traded and becomes a FA it could be harder for us to sign him. If we trade for him, that would make it easier for us to sign him.

Here's how I was looking at the situation 6 hours ago, before Ersty went down:
Next season we have Ichiro lead-off and Erstad batting 2nd. Hopefully we can still do this. I think Pods is gone after this year. Ever since the All-Star Break in 2005, yes 2005, his health has been suspect. His groin pull problems were with him when we got him from Milwaukee and they are not going away anytime during his career. We need someone who is dependable at lead-off, not part-time. Ichiro is the answer as best I can tell right now.

MrX
05-31-2007, 08:44 PM
Once agin, he doesn't make Erstad the PTC. Talk about a hater...
It should be renamed the Erstad Memorial PTC from here on out

oeo
05-31-2007, 08:45 PM
Jacque Jones anyone?

What the **** is Jockstrap going to do for us? Again, it's not like we just need that final piece of the puzzle. Our outfield currently consists of Jermaine Dye, and our bullpen consists of Bobby Jenks and Matt Thornton. Unless something changes quickly, we're going to be sellers, not buyers.

chitownhawkfan
05-31-2007, 08:49 PM
Why? Because if he is not traded and becomes a FA it could be harder for us to sign him. If we trade for him, that would make it easier for us to sign him.

Next season we have Ichiro lead-off and Erstad batting 2nd. Hopefully we can still do this. I think Pods is gone after this year. Ever since the All-Star Break in 2005, yes 2005, his health has been suspect. His groin pull problems were with him when we got him from Milwaukee and they are not going away anytime during his career. We need someone who is dependable at lead-off, not part-time. Ichiro is the answer as best I can tell right now.

I don't know all the ins and outs of baseball contracts but how would that give us an advantage? I highly doubt we would get some type of hometown discount or loyalty from Ichiro after playing half a meaningless season for a fourth place team.

Craig Grebeck
05-31-2007, 08:50 PM
It's alright BA, all you have to do is outperform the competition in the spring and you'll have your chance...

It's alright BA, Pods is hurt and now you'll have your chance...

It's alright BA, Ersty is hurt and now you'll have your chance...

Nope, it's the speedy and slappy Jerry Owens.

VIVA LA SUB .600 OPS

oeo
05-31-2007, 08:50 PM

Yeah, and not only will the Mariners not trade him right now (or probably at any point), they're going to ask for the farm. No thank you.

Next season we have Ichiro lead-off and Erstad batting 2nd. Hopefully we can still do this. I think Pods is gone after this year. Ever since the All-Star Break in 2005, yes 2005, his health has been suspect. His groin pull problems were with him when we got him from Milwaukee and they are not going away anytime during his career. We need someone who is dependable at lead-off, not part-time. Ichiro is the answer as best I can tell right now.Pods is definitely gone. I hope we sign Ichiro (I've been one of the biggest proponents of this), but I'm not so sure I want to hold onto Erstad. I like the guy, but he just got hurt swinging the bat. Sorry to say it, but no Jermaine Dye either. I like him too, but he's on the decline.

Sign Ichiro, bring up Sweeney/Anderson, and then trade/sign another vet to play left. Maybe that's Erstad, I don't know right now (or maybe one of Sweeney, Anderson, Owens). In the infield...sorry to say it again, but trade Crede and bring Fields up, veteran replacement for Uribe, and hopefully re-sign Gooch.

Lineup of:
Ichiro, RF
Gooch, 2B
Thome, DH
Konerko, 1B
AJ, C
Fields, 3B
Vet/Sweeney, LF
Vet, SS
Anderson/Sweeney, CF

MySoxAreClean
05-31-2007, 08:53 PM
What the **** is Jockstrap going to do for us? Again, it's not like we just need that final piece of the puzzle. Our outfield currently consists of Jermaine Dye, and our bullpen consists of Bobby Jenks and Matt Thornton. Unless something changes quickly, we're going to be sellers, not buyers.

Easy killer, Loosing the tight jeans and let the gut out. So just sell everyone and pickup prospects is good for me,then can bring the whole AAA teams I still will be at the games. Relax count to ten and hug who ever is near you quick.

BarbG
05-31-2007, 08:54 PM
we cant be without every leadoff hitter we have...ozuna, pods, erstad....

We're going through leadoff hitters faster than Spinal Tap through drummers.

What next?

DumpJerry
05-31-2007, 08:54 PM
Yeah, and not only will the Mariners not trade him right now (or probably at any point), they're going to ask for the farm. No thank you.
The M's will be very willing to trade Ichiro. He has all but said he wants to move on to another team next year. If they don't trade him, then they will get nothing for him. Yeah, they will ask for the farm, but they won't get the farm because they are very eager to unload him and the other teams will use that to their advantage when talking with the team.

letsgosox1592
05-31-2007, 08:55 PM
has it been reported yet that erstad's going on the DL cause i thought i read that on mlb.com that he left the game and it never said anything about the DL... if anyone can help me find out if he really is going on the DL that would be great.

California Sox
05-31-2007, 08:56 PM
I wonder where Owens is going to play? He's speedy but if his arm doesn't work in center, are we going to be treated to a lot of Terrero? :whiner:

The guy from the minors who has earned his shot is Fields, but obviously there's no room for him.

SoxSpeed22
I think it will be Tererro playing center, but Owens leading off. Maybe he can bunt. The good news, there's not much more bad news.

sox1970
has it been reported yet that erstad's going on the DL cause i thought i read that on mlb.com that he left the game and it never said anything about the DL... if anyone can help me find out if he really is going on the DL that would be great.

He is. It'll become official tomorrow.

CLR01
05-31-2007, 08:58 PM

It's not official yet but will be. Owens was pulled in the 7th inning with two outs. Anderson told him he was going to kill his mother as he ran by.

seventyseven
05-31-2007, 08:58 PM
It's alright BA, all you have to do is outperform the competition in the spring and you'll have your chance...

It's alright BA, Pods is hurt and now you'll have your chance...

It's alright BA, Ersty is hurt and now you'll have your chance...

Nope, it's the speedy and slappy Jerry Owens.

VIVA LA SUB .600 OPS

Speedy + Slappy > Loopy swing + Pop-ups

DumpJerry
05-31-2007, 09:00 PM
Hey, I've seen Terrero having a cannon in CF. I saw him throw some ICBMs last week from deep Center.

oeo
05-31-2007, 09:03 PM
Easy killer, Loosing the tight jeans and let the gut out. So just sell everyone and pickup prospects is good for me,then can bring the whole AAA teams I still will be at the games. Relax count to ten and hug who ever is near you quick.

I'm relaxed. :rolleyes:

Proposing a trade for Jones would be stupid no matter the circumstances. Considering we look like crap, why would we bother? He's not a very good baseball player.

Lip Man 1
05-31-2007, 09:06 PM
Wow...simply wow.

Lip

cws05champ
05-31-2007, 09:06 PM
It's not official yet but will be. Owens was pulled in the 7th inning with two outs. Anderson told him he was going to kill his mother as he ran by.

I hope Owens has his passport already or he's not gooing to make it for this series!

05-31-2007, 09:07 PM

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Law11
05-31-2007, 09:08 PM
Make a deal to get Rowand back...

chisoxfanatic
05-31-2007, 09:10 PM
WE'RE NOT GETTING ICHIRO!!! That's gonna cost an arm and a leg! The deal WON'T get done!

Cripes, this is exactly what this team DIDN'T need right now. Just about the only bright spot (if you call it that) on this team, and he's down for a couple of weeks at least.

****ing brutal!!!

Brian26
05-31-2007, 09:10 PM

Easier said than done at this point. Get ready to give up the farm.

chisoxfanatic
05-31-2007, 09:11 PM
Easier said than done at this point. Get ready to give up the farm.
Not only the farm; but, I'd definitely expect them to want at least one of either Danks, Garland, or Masset (or even likely two of the three).

The Immigrant
05-31-2007, 09:12 PM
I hope Owens has his passport already or he's not gooing to make it for this series!

It's a long border and it's not very well protected. :wink:

Law11
Just tossing it out there... I know Philly has a phenom waiting in the wings..
But knowing we're in a world of hurt would spike up the cost...

DumpJerry
WE'RE NOT GETTING ICHIRO!!! That's gonna cost an arm and a leg! The deal WON'T get done!

Cripes, this is exactly what this team DIDN'T need right now. Just about the only bright spot (if you call it that) on this team, and he's down for a couple of weeks at least.

****ing brutal!!!
You know what? We have no arms or legs that are not expendable. Our arms and legs are doing nothing for us.

champagne030

I hope Satan also told him to kiss the ass of Ozzie Jr.

CLR01

I'd rather see a gimpy Erstad or Mack out there. :rolleyes: Maybe even an empty centerfield spot. It worked for Soxtalk

05-31-2007, 09:13 PM

He actually is headed to Philly.

CLR01
05-31-2007, 09:14 PM
It's a long border and it's not very well protected. :wink:

John Candy made it over in a small raft.

chisoxfanatic
05-31-2007, 09:15 PM
You know what? We have no arms or legs that are not expendable. Our arms and legs are doing nothing for us.
Sadly, you couldn't be closer to the truth. This team has no balls either! And, I'm really questioning their hearts. They're just going through the motions.

DumpJerry
05-31-2007, 09:16 PM
Sadly, you couldn't be closer to the truth. This team has no balls either! And, I'm really questioning their hearts. They're just going through the motions.
I'm done talking about their body parts.

DrCrawdad
05-31-2007, 09:20 PM
I'm done talking about their body parts.

Now this guy's a true grinder...

http://www.movies.pop-cult.com/images/holy-grail.jpg

TFLEM33
05-31-2007, 09:21 PM
All I can do is laugh... It is becoming almost ridiculous. One bad thing after another keeps happening. All I can hope for is that this is rock bottom and that we can look back on it and laugh in October when we're finishing up our 2nd World Series title in 3 years... Yeah, I know, wishful thinking, but hey, that's part of being a fan.

A. Cavatica
05-31-2007, 09:22 PM
There could be a silver lining here, in that KW may now feel forced to trade for a real outfielder/leadoff hitter. Owens is a stopgap. (Though I thought Gavin Floyd was just acquired to be moved in another deal. :(: )

southsideirish71
05-31-2007, 09:24 PM
There could be a silver lining here, in that KW may now feel forced to trade for a real outfielder/leadoff hitter. Owens is a stopgap. (Though I thought Gavin Floyd was just acquired to be moved in another deal. :(: )

In 4th place, and 7.5 games out with 3 FAs on the team and you think we are adding personnel. We will stand pat with what we have, as we go through a soft part of our schedule. At the end of this schedule it will be at the end of June we will see where we are at. Then additions or more to the point subtractions will be made.

champagne030
05-31-2007, 09:26 PM

I wish there was another GM out there that thought Gavin was worth more than a bag of balls.

cws05champ
05-31-2007, 09:26 PM
Now this guy's a true grinder...

http://www.movies.pop-cult.com/images/holy-grail.jpg

Tis but a flesh wound!

DumpJerry
05-31-2007, 09:28 PM
How 'bout them Bears?

CLR01
05-31-2007, 09:29 PM
How 'bout them Bears?

donkey suck they and ass are 4 words that come to mind. Not necessarily in that order.

JB98
05-31-2007, 09:32 PM
How 'bout them Bears?

What about the Blackhawks?

DumpJerry
05-31-2007, 09:35 PM
Who?

We're trying to get upbeat here......

WhiteSox5187
05-31-2007, 09:35 PM
Oy vey...this team, it's falling apart. I'm trying to think what can you do? I don't want to give up the season on June 1st...but you have two massive outfield holes now and I'm thinking that going outside the organization might repair one of them. I'd love to land Ichiro, but that's not very likely. I'd hate to say it, but Rowand is a possibility too...but this still doesn't answer the question of who do we have bat leadoff? Owens has good speed but I don't want to throw a rookie into the leadoff spot, you have to go outside the organization to get somebody. Seattle would ask a lot for Ichiro, this is probably a knee jerk reaction on my part, but I'd be willing to part with Floyd and Fields/Owens/Sweeney.

I meant one of those three, not all of them.

Dan the Man
05-31-2007, 09:36 PM
IF KW and the Sox were serious about Rowand back, it would take more than it should on account of his great start to the season. And I, like A Cavatica, wish Floyd could be moved to someone who still thought he was decent.

It would be sweet if the Sox could trade for Ryan Freel- plays all out, fast, multiple positions. But I'm not sure his health status after that nasty collision.

chisoxfanatic
05-31-2007, 09:39 PM
:whiner:

At least they were 12-12 when I went this year; but, still :whiner:

JB98
05-31-2007, 09:41 PM
:whiner:

At least they were 12-12 when I went this year; but, still :whiner:

They were 2-1 when I went this year.

Sad to say, but our Sox are 2-7 with me in attendance this year. Does that mean the Blackhawks are a more exciting team than the Sox?

A. Cavatica
05-31-2007, 09:44 PM
It's too soon to give up on the season -- but we have to get worse in order to get better. (Meaning I'm fine with dropping under .500 and losing a couple of mediocre players to injuries if it causes the shakeup this team desperately needs.)

Frontman
05-31-2007, 09:47 PM
I think it will be Tererro playing center, but Owens leading off. Maybe he can bunt. The good news, there's not much more bad news.

You know you just jinxed it for something else to go wrong tomorrow......

DumpJerry
05-31-2007, 09:48 PM
At least he did not hurt himself doing a home run trot. (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6871934)

JB98
05-31-2007, 09:49 PM
Not much additional information to report from Cowley's article.

AJ said the Sox players heard the pop all the way in the dugout. Ozzie said he didn't want to come on the field because he thought Erstad had broken his ankle. It caused him to think about Robin's injury in 1997. The half inning after, when AJ took his position, the umpire said the sound was very disturbing.

At any rate, Owens coming up. Erstad to be evaluated further in the morning.

Frontman
05-31-2007, 09:50 PM
At least he did not hurt himself doing a home run trot. (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6871934)

Hell, if he hurt himself on a home run trot, it meant that the Sox got a run.

Martinigirl
05-31-2007, 09:52 PM

Mack could be in perfect health and he still should never be put in centerfield again.

JorgeFabregas
05-31-2007, 10:12 PM
How does .272 sound, brothaman? 3 for 5 today. Small sample size, anyway, if his average is jumping that much in one day.

areilly
05-31-2007, 10:26 PM
A few thoughts...

1) Ichiro has expressed repeatedly that he wants to play for a team where he feels there is a chance to win; the current model of Sox does not look all that much like a winner. The M's are also going to be demanding a lot to get him. My guess is that he ends up finishing the year with a contender - maybe the Dodgers or Padres, as both are in need of bats and both have pitching prospects the M's would most likely demand - and maybe the Sox have a chance to sweet-talk him in the offseason.

2) There is no way this is better than a third-place team. The Good Guys will have to go 68-42 from here on out to finish with 95 wins, and without Ozuna, Erstad, a healthy Pods, a solid bullpen, and consistent offense, that's just impossible.

3) I was laughing about this a few weeks ago with one of my professors. I made the argument that the games were a ton of fun when the stadium was half-empty. His response was something to the effect of "yeah but it was also shank or be shanked." See you in the yard!

oeo
05-31-2007, 10:52 PM
How does .272 sound, brothaman? 3 for 5 today. Small sample size, anyway, if his average is jumping that much in one day.

Not that great. I was expecting him to be .300+ down there.

Chicken Dinner
05-31-2007, 10:56 PM
Mack could be in perfect health and he still should never be put in centerfield again.

Still better than Timo.

The Dude
05-31-2007, 10:59 PM
This really ****ing sucks!

Gene

jdm2662
05-31-2007, 11:11 PM
What next? (And, I really shouldn't ask that...) Be careful what you wish for.

russ99
05-31-2007, 11:19 PM

That will be hard to do. No one's actually interested in doing serious trading right now and all the other GMs know the Sox are hurting and are desperate for another outfielder (and a RH reliever). Unless you want to get rid of a Fields, Broadway and/or Sweeney, I doubt a solid big leaguer can be had at this point, and even as late as the All-Star Break.

Still, I think Kenny has to do something to send a message to the team instead of plugging in stop-gap AAA players and hoping for the best.

Rowandws33
06-01-2007, 12:00 AM
BA is hitting .272 and went 3-5 today. He has the second best avg on the team for everyday starters. As we all know you cant tell about a guy just by looking at avg anyway..

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-01-2007, 01:22 AM
If we trade for him, that would make it easier for us to sign him.

Because that worked so well for the Rangers last year with Lee.

oeo
06-01-2007, 02:20 AM
BA is hitting .272 and went 3-5 today. He has the second best avg on the team for everyday starters. As we all know you cant tell about a guy just by looking at avg anyway..

Considering there are many people that think he can hit .250 up here, I expect him to be tearing up AAA. That 3-5 brought him up 17 points.

Besides, Owens is having a good season, I think he deserves his shot.

IndianWhiteSox
06-01-2007, 04:12 AM
I wish there was another GM out there that thought Gavin was worth more than a bag of balls.

Considering the fact that Coco Crisp really isn't "all that" right now. I'm sure the Sox could trade for him by only giving up Floyd and Broadway or not even that much.

alohafri
06-01-2007, 05:30 AM
Why? At this point, it doesn't look like Ichiro is going to make us a playoff contender. .

At this point, the 1982 version of Rickey Henderson wouldn't make us a playoff contender.

DumpJerry
06-01-2007, 06:51 AM
Because that worked so well for the Rangers last year with Lee.
Lee fired his agent and went with Boras.

There is actually some leverage the Sox could use to lower the Mariner's epxectations of what they can demand:

Torii Hunter will be a FA. If the Twins continue to suck eggs, they might want to deal him to get something, even if it means dealing to a division rival.

I'm not saying Torri is lead-off material, but I'm just saying Ichiro is not the only hot CFer out there who may be available.

DumpJerry
06-01-2007, 07:06 AM
In his story (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070531soxerstad,1,5086838.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed) today, Mark Gonzalez has this little tidbit:

Erstad's injury came in front of a crowd of 22,436 that included the second San Francisco Giants scout to watch the Sox in four days.

Who are they interested in?

The Immigrant
06-01-2007, 07:10 AM
In his story (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070531soxerstad,1,5086838.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed) today, Mark Gonzalez has this little tidbit:

Probably Dye. They could use a right-handed bat.

Frater Perdurabo
06-01-2007, 07:20 AM
Probably Dye. They could use a right-handed bat.

How about Paulie? Their starting 1B is Rich Aurilia. :o:

I wonder, though, who the Giants have that the Sox would want/need.

The Immigrant
06-01-2007, 07:29 AM
How about Paulie?

Um, no.

The Giants have two decent 2B prospects (Frandsen and Sanders) and may be willing to move one of them.

DrCrawdad
06-01-2007, 07:39 AM

http://crimlaw.files.wordpress.com/2006/12/9150280-barry-bonds.jpg

russ99
06-01-2007, 08:10 AM
Lee fired his agent and went with Boras.

There is actually some leverage the Sox could use to lower the Mariner's epxectations of what they can demand:

Torii Hunter will be a FA. If the Twins continue to suck eggs, they might want to deal him to get something, even if it means dealing to a division rival.

I'm not saying Torri is lead-off material, but I'm just saying Ichiro is not the only hot CFer out there who may be available.

Actually, it went the other way. Houston is one of those teams that don't deal with Boras. He ditched Boras midseason last year and went with new representation.

As much as I hate Hunter, I wouldn't mind him with the Sox, plus then we hurt the Twins by signing him. But he's gonna want huge money.

I also wouldn't mind the return of Mike Cameron, another CF free-agent to be.

Madvora
06-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Here we go again... Where do they get rumors like this?

X-rays revealed no break, but Erstad will be re-examined Friday. If the injury is determined to be more severe, the Sox might consider looking to acquire a veteran center fielder, such as Aaron Rowand from Philadelphia.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070531soxerstad,1,6617183.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

Frontman
06-01-2007, 08:16 AM

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070531soxerstad,1,6617183.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

Quote:
X-rays revealed no break, but Erstad will be re-examined Friday. If the injury is determined to be more severe, the Sox might consider looking to acquire a veteran center fielder, such as Aaron Rowand from Philadelphia.

"As so, it begins."

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Hills/1489/G_itb/itb_kosh.jpg

FedEx227
06-01-2007, 08:26 AM
Well here at WSI it did take 4-5 posts in the initial Erstad to DL thread to mention that we should get Rowand in a trade.

But now it's taken less than 24 hours for the national media to bring it up. Awesome.

Madvora
06-01-2007, 08:35 AM
The Phillies are 1 game under .500 just like us. Why would they be willing to give up their best hitter?

People have to think about the other team too. We can just go out and take Ichiro or take Rowand just because we have a spot for them now.
This is like the Yankee fans after seeing Rowand in 2005.

socko82
06-01-2007, 08:36 AM
For everyone talking about how the Sox need to trade for Ichiro immediatly have you looked at the standings lately? Seattle currently is in second place 4.5 out and only 2.5 out of the wild card. Whether you think they are realistic contenders or not there is no way they move their best player now or before the end of the season. I'm all for going after him this winter but right now it makes no sense from either side. Let the kids play this season out and see what you've got.

jabrch
06-01-2007, 08:59 AM
The Phillies are 1 game under .500 just like us. Why would they be willing to give up their best hitter?

Are we making a play at Chase Utley? Ryan Howard? Jimmy Rollins?

Madvora
06-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Yeah, yeah I get it.

Right now (average wise) Rowand is their best hitter at .321.

Utley - .299
Rollins - .273
Howard - .222 (Hey he'd fit it great with the Sox!)

Rocky Soprano
06-01-2007, 09:17 AM
Yeah, yeah I get it.

Utley - .299
Rollins - .273

He might have the highest average but he is not their best hitter. Out of those three, Rowand is the only one the Phillies would even consider trading.

06-01-2007, 10:10 AM

We are getting Utley, Rollins, or Howard? Awesome!

06-01-2007, 10:11 AM

Yeah, yeah I get it.

Utley - .299
Rollins - .273

We are getting Utley, Rollins, or Howard? Awesome!

:smile:

CLR01
06-01-2007, 10:15 AM
Well here at WSI it did take 4-5 posts in the initial Erstad to DL thread to mention that we should get Rowand in a trade.

But now it's taken less than 24 hours for the national media to bring it up. Awesome.

Rowand holds the key to Eden. Look what his presence did for the Phillies.

AuroraSoxFan
06-01-2007, 10:21 AM
For everyone talking about how the Sox need to trade for Ichiro immediatly have you looked at the standings lately? Seattle currently is in second place 4.5 out and only 2.5 out of the wild card. Whether you think they are realistic contenders or not there is no way they move their best player now or before the end of the season. I'm all for going after him this winter but right now it makes no sense from either side. Let the kids play this season out and see what you've got.

Couldn't agree more. While we can all speculate who we'd like to see in a Sox uniform until we turn blue, there simply aren't many teams (if any at all) that will be willing to part with key players at this point in the season. I wish that were different but it's not. Sox likely would not be able to make any deals for any impact players until early July at the earliest. Other GM's also know Sox are in bad shape and will probably want the entire farm for a decent player.

Chicken Dinner
06-01-2007, 10:23 AM
Maybe we should trade Herm Schneider for Scott Sheridan. I'm sure the Phillies would go for that. :o:

Thome25
06-01-2007, 11:05 AM

Hall
Pods
Thome
Uribe
Ozuna
Erstad

I just can't believe how our luck's going this season.

Put Iguchi on that list as well. Apparently he has a sore index finger from a fielding play agains Minnesota earlier in the year. It is the reason he is hitting so poorly it affects his swing.

UserNameBlank
06-01-2007, 11:18 AM

From WSI.

Thanks a lot, guys.

CLR01
06-01-2007, 11:40 AM
From WSI.

Thanks a lot, guys.

That is what happens when a towns reporters get lazy. :rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
06-01-2007, 11:42 AM
Gonzales also said from Minnesota that the Dodger scouts were watching the Sox.

Lip

itsnotrequired
06-01-2007, 11:43 AM
Gonzales also said from Minnesota that the Dodger scouts were watching the Sox.

Lip

I heard they left in the 4th.

:redneck

spiffie
06-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Judging by how some posters here seemed to believe Erstad was perhaps the worst player in the history of baseball, it seems like this can only improve them team even if we played 8-on-9 the rest of the way. Thank god we got all that filthy "grinding" out of the lineup, now we can begin the rush to the World Series.

russ99
06-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Any update on Darin's condition yet?

I'd consider the Sox extremely lucky if he's only out a few weeks.

MushMouth
06-01-2007, 12:27 PM
Definitely hope Owens comes up - kid is a legit lead-off man. We desperately need that. Frankly, I'd love it if Sweeney and Owens both came up and started in left and center respectively.

IndianWhiteSox
06-01-2007, 12:28 PM

At this rate RANDY WINN and OMAR VIZQUEL might be an upgrade.

:o:

Not advocating the trade for either one of them, but just saying the state of the times.

JB98
06-01-2007, 12:40 PM
At this rate RANDY WINN and OMAR VIZQUEL might be an upgrade.

:o:

Not advocating the trade for either one of them, but just saying the state of the times.

The Giants just dealt Benitez, which I find strange since that leaves them without a closer. Would they take MacDougal? Because I would take Winn. Vizquel is hitting poorly this year, and he's lost a step defensively. He's a minimal upgrade, if any, over Uribe. But damn, we need an outfielder.

IndianWhiteSox
06-01-2007, 12:42 PM
The Giants just dealt Benitez, which I find strange since that leaves them without a closer. Would they take MacDougal? Because I would take Winn. Vizquel is hitting poorly this year, and he's lost a step defensively. He's a minimal upgrade, if any, over Uribe. But damn, we need an outfielder.

I don't find that strange at all, they've been looking to deal him since last year because he is just a total mental case. The scary part is, he could still finish his career with over 350+ saves.
:o::o:

Noneck
06-01-2007, 12:44 PM

Who knows but its possible, I keep reading that the Giants scouts have been at last couple of Sox games maybe this is possible.

JB98
06-01-2007, 12:51 PM
I don't find that strange at all, they've been looking to deal him since last year because he is just a total mental case. The scary part is, he could still finish his career with over 350+ saves.
:o::o:

I agree that Benitez is not an ideal closer. But the thing is, you generally don't deal a player unless you have a Plan B in place. It's like I've said to the people who want to get rid of Iguchi after the season. Yes, Tadahito is playing pretty ****ty this year, but who are you going to bring in as a replacement who will be better?

DeadMoney
06-01-2007, 12:53 PM

The first time a scout was there it was probably to scout a single player, but yesterday was more likely due to the fact that they're playing the Blue Jays in 2 weeks (June 11-13).

TDog
06-01-2007, 01:28 PM

On my way home from class Thursday night, I was listening to Giants postgame coverage. There was much rejoicing by fans and the radio hosts. Brad Hennessey is 2-for-2 in save opportunities. He has had 8 holds, a statistic I don't think much of, but a failed hold is a blown save so it reflects more success than simply the saves do. Benitez was 9-for-11 in saves, but, as one radio host said, he was 9-for-11 in upsetting Giants fans.

What scared me when I first heard he was traded was that he had gone to the White Sox. Benitez is a typical veteran reliever, and he is the type of pitcher that comes in mid-season trades -- someone another team wants to get rid of.

I don't expect anyone dealing with the Giants will get value for value.

rowand33
06-01-2007, 01:30 PM
I agree that Benitez is not an ideal closer. But the thing is, you generally don't deal a player unless you have a Plan B in place. It's like I've said to the people who want to get rid of Iguchi after the season. Yes, Tadahito is playing pretty ****ty this year, but who are you going to bring in as a replacement who will be better?

The Giants want Hennessey to close. Plan B is in place.

And as for Iguchi, I won't be upset if we keep him, but I'd love Castillo in the offseason.

Darin Erstad Fan
06-01-2007, 05:43 PM
No! One of our few offensive producers is now gone. Without Pods, Pablo, or Erstad, who can we rely to lead off? Our atrocious bullpen and inconsistent rotation need all the help they can get. There goes the season.

But im 2-2 so far!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e333/GoWSox34/capt-2.jpg

Along with a no-hitter!

JB98
06-01-2007, 05:54 PM
The Giants want Hennessey to close. Plan B is in place.

And as for Iguchi, I won't be upset if we keep him, but I'd love Castillo in the offseason.

What do you want Castillo for? He doesn't run anymore. He has only three stolen bases this year. He has trouble staying healthy.

As for the Giants, well, I don't follow them closely. They know more about Hennessey than I do.

Frontman
06-01-2007, 06:37 PM
A severe ankle strain? That's pretty severe, as it looked like he went down after getting shot.

Erstad, even in injury, proves he's the Grindiest Man in the World.

hawkjt
06-01-2007, 08:54 PM
they just said on the postgame show that the blue jays physician did a second x-ray on his ankle..and it is a grade 2 sprain and he is expected to be ready to play by june 16 when he comes off the dl... good news for a change

TDog
06-01-2007, 09:03 PM
they just said on the postgame show that the blue jays physician did a second x-ray on his ankle..and it is a grade 2 sprain and he is expected to be ready to play by june 16 when he comes off the dl... good news for a change

That would be good news, but it also could mean that Owens will go back down, even if he is doing as well as he did tonight. Would it be a stretch to suggest Owens could lead the team in stolen bases by the end of the weekend?

Regardless, with Podsednik coming back and Terrero out of options, Owens will have to be more than a little impressive to remain with the big league team. That's too bad, because his speed meant something tonight.

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2007, 10:41 PM
That would be good news, but it also could mean that Owens will go back down, even if he is doing as well as he did tonight. Would it be a stretch to suggest Owens could lead the team in stolen bases by the end of the weekend?

Regardless, with Podsednik coming back and Terrero out of options, Owens will have to be more than a little impressive to remain with the big league team. That's too bad, because his speed meant something tonight.
I'll tell ya what, if Owens keeps playing like he did tonight, we'll find a spot for him on this team.

Tragg
06-01-2007, 11:20 PM

I would doubt it. Through it all, Erstad is hitting about like he usually does - .264 average, 2 homers, 10 extra base hits in 180 at bats. It seems like he's doing better than that because the rest of the team is hitting so poorly and he's one of our better hitters. I probably give him too hard a time because on this team (because of the way the other players are hitting) he offers above average production. But a .264 average, .310 OBP and marginal power isn't going to make or break us.
If Owens does better than that, he should stay. We had Anderson, Pods, Erstad and Osuna to start the season - Osuna and Anderson are gone, leaving room for Terrero and Owens (and Pods and ERstad).

FarWestChicago
06-02-2007, 06:44 AM

But now it's taken less than 24 hours for the national media to bring it up. Awesome. Doesn't life sometimes seem like a bad dream where you just can't wake up? :smile:

soxinem1
06-03-2007, 12:41 PM

Rowand's value is much higher now than it was in April.

UserNameBlank
06-03-2007, 12:48 PM
Rowand's value is much higher now than it was in April.
So is the value of Ozzie bashers. I wouldn't trade ondafarm for Rowand straight up right now. He's on ****ing tear.:smile: