PDA

View Full Version : Sacrifice Bunting

Noneck
05-31-2007, 09:24 PM
I was hoping that the Sox would have thought outside the box (in the current era) when it comes to sacrifice bunting. Anyone that goes backs to the 60's remembers that pitchers would pinch hit late in games to advance a runner. I can't understand why this can't be done now. The pitchers have at least 1 more day of rest than the old days and plenty of time to become proficient in bunting. I know pitchers now are highly paid prima donnas, but they bat and run in the N.L. and don't get paid more than A.L. so why not at least be able to sacrifice bunt in late inning situations.

QCIASOXFAN
05-31-2007, 09:33 PM
The last thing we need is to put Garland or Contreras in a game to bunt and have the ball go off their wrist or something.

MySoxAreClean
05-31-2007, 09:37 PM
well at least All WSI members can have the ballpark by the end of the year, maybe Ozzie can put us in, I can at least pitch, 1 third of in inning without throwing out my arm . Have out own sandlot at the Cell

Noneck
05-31-2007, 10:15 PM
The last thing we need is to put Garland or Contreras in a game to bunt and have the ball go off their wrist or something.

Of course this would create a higher possibility of injury than spitting sunflower seeds but how many times have Glavine or Maddox been injured bunting?

TDog
06-01-2007, 02:19 AM

This is precisely why an American League manager would be criticized in the media for bringing in a starting pitcher to pinch hit, whether successful or not. Maybe not a Jamie Navarro type who would help your team by being injured, but most pitchers.

I remember seeing Tommy John came in to pinch-bunt with his bottle bat in 1969, and he actually got a bunt single. A couple of years later, I saw Chuck Tanner use Terry Forster and Rich Gossage as pinch-hitters and pitcher Rich Geddes as a pinch-runner in the same inning of an exciting game. You still see stuff like that in the National League, but the American League protects its pitchers from offensive responsibilities. In the NL, pitchers work on their bunting. In the AL, pitchers don't get any practice.

Pitchers should be able to bunt, of course, just as players should be able to play other positions in a pinch. Toby Hall should be able to play first base without hurting himself. But maybe it's just not practical.