PDA

View Full Version : Boston Sez Maggs is gonna be MVP

Chisox_cali
03-30-2002, 05:31 PM
O E O (http://espn.go.com/gammons/s/2002/0330/1360749.html)

Most Valuable Player
AL: In surveying GMs, club officials, scouts and journalists, the two names that were most mentioned were Alex Rodriguez and Magglio Ordonez, with Nomar Garciaparra, Derek Jeter, Juan Gonzalez, Darin Erstad, Eric Chavez, Ichiro and Bernie Williams thrown in.

With hardly any mention of Jason Giambi, which may be natural considering what he's jumped into in New York. A-Rod starts every season as a favorite, but the choice here is Ordonez.

FarWestChicago
03-30-2002, 05:36 PM
:maggs

Oh no!! I've been cursed!!

Daver
03-30-2002, 05:41 PM
Talk about the kiss of death.

Chisox_cali
03-30-2002, 05:44 PM
Yeah but a lot of people are saying that he might win it not just Boston. He's getting the MVP Support

kermittheefrog
03-30-2002, 06:53 PM
Notice he also picks us to finish third so I wouldn't take him to be the most credibly guy on the planet.

FarWestChicago
03-30-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Notice he also picks us to finish third WoooHooo! We're going to run away with this division!! :D:

GASHWOUND
03-30-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Yeah but a lot of people are saying that he might win it not just Boston. He's getting the MVP Support

We just got to hope SI doesn't put maggs on their cover, or he really is screwed. :smile:

duke of dorwood
03-30-2002, 10:30 PM
Maggs hit a bomb in BP today a;most back to the windows.

voodoochile
03-30-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
WoooHooo! We're going to run away with this division!! :D:

You know what's funny, is I was just thinking, "If Maggs wins the MVP, the Sox WALK away with the division, by 10 games." I know you were being tongue in cheek, but how can BG pick Maggs to win the MVP and the Sox to finish 3rd? That just doesn't even seem to come CLOSE to a possibility...

Jerry_Manuel
03-30-2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
You know what's funny, is I was just thinking, "If Maggs wins the MVP, the Sox WALK away with the division, by 10 games." I know you were being tongue in cheek, but how can BG pick Maggs to win the MVP and the Sox to finish 3rd? That just doesn't even seem to come CLOSE to a possibility...

Didn't the Cubs finish in last or close to last when Dawson won the MVP?

PaleHoseGeorge
03-31-2002, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Didn't the Cubs finish in last or close to last when Dawson won the MVP?

Yes. It's one of the few times an MVP came from a last-place team. I believe Ernie Banks won one under similar circumstances.

Leave it to the Flubs to earn MVP honors for last-place effort. The final score isn't important at Wrigley.

Just ask their fans.

:gulp:

danman31
03-31-2002, 12:22 AM
Didn't the Cubs finish in last or close to last when Dawson won the MVP? Cubs last and Dawson MVP. First time it's ever happened. I believe the only time.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-31-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by danman31
Cubs last and Dawson MVP. First time it's ever happened. I believe the only time.

I went back and checked. Banks won MVP in 1958 and 1959. The Flubs finished sixth (out of eight teams in the league) both those years. So you're probably right. Dawson and the Flubs set a record in '87 by finishing last with the MVP winner.

And since it involved losing, the Flubs broke their own record to do it.

:gulp:

FarWestChicago
03-31-2002, 12:31 AM

Didn't the Cubs finish in last or close to last when Dawson won the MVP? This is true, Jer. But, that was your typically horrific Flubs team. Despite your constant assertions otherwise, the Sox aren't horrific. Therefore, Voodoo's point makes sense. If you get an MVP season from a player on a good team in a weak division, third place is a silly prediction.

:boston

I'm sure I saw this happen in the 1890's!

doublem23
03-31-2002, 12:40 AM

I'm sure I saw this happen in the 1890's!

Yeah, I think it was that guy from the Boston Beaneaters... He
hit like .207 in 1892, and everyone complained about the juiced ball.

Jerry_Manuel
03-31-2002, 12:54 AM
Despite your constant assertions otherwise, the Sox aren't horrific.

The only thing I've said is that they'll finish in 2nd and never win a World Series.

How can you possibly say that I think they're horrific?

Mathew
03-31-2002, 06:51 PM
I don't think he can have an MVP season without taking the team to the division title. A la Jerome Iginla(plug for kempers) being the best player in the league doesn't mean everything.