PDA

View Full Version : OG NOT READY TO GIVE UP Yet

MySoxAreClean
05-31-2007, 12:32 AM
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/05/30/ozzie-guillen-isnt-ready-to-give-up-yet/

WhiteSox5187
05-31-2007, 12:41 AM
I'm not ready to give up. I don't think anyone in here is ready to give up. I think we're a little unnerved at how they're playing, but nobody is calling for us to give in the towel NOW at the start of June. The talk I've seen around here (except for like, one or two trolls) is saying "If we look like this in July we should trade our guys." This team can get hot (god willing) and go on a bit of a roll. We've got a couple of games against Cleveland and Detroit that if we take those series, they will do wonders for us.

JB98
05-31-2007, 12:47 AM
I'm not ready to give up. I don't think anyone in here is ready to give up. I think we're a little unnerved at how they're playing, but nobody is calling for us to give in the towel NOW at the start of June. The talk I've seen around here (except for like, one or two trolls) is saying "If we look like this in July we should trade our guys." This team can get hot (god willing) and go on a bit of a roll. We've got a couple of games against Cleveland and Detroit that if we take those series, they will do wonders for us.

I think that's the consensus. Although, I think if you log on here immediately after a loss or listen to Rongey's postgame callers, you might believe that many people are ready to cash in the chips.

thomas35forever
05-31-2007, 12:49 AM
Why would this team or its fans give up after only two months? Whoever does so is a bandwagon jumper from the '05 season.

WhiteSox5187
05-31-2007, 12:49 AM
I think that's the consensus. Although, I think if you log on here immediately after a loss or listen to Rongey's postgame callers, you might believe that many people are ready to cash in the chips.
And I'll be honest, right after any loss this year I've thought "Well, we're not that good." And after Morneau hit that walk off I went into a huge rant...usually though I have the car ride home from the ballpark or time at work to cool down before I post here so I come in with a much cooler header. But I was not pleasent to be around earlier today.

FireMariotti
05-31-2007, 12:55 AM
The June schedule looks promising. We got a lot of NL teams (Florida, Cubs, Pit, Philly), the Yanks at a good time, TB, and KC. It's do or die in June I guess.

-Eternal Optimist

StillMissOzzie
05-31-2007, 01:38 AM
The June schedule looks promising. We got a lot of NL teams (Florida, Cubs, Pit, Philly), the Yanks at a good time, TB, and KC. It's do or die in June I guess.

-Eternal Optimist

I think that almost everyone who hasn't thrown in the towel on 2007 already would agree that we'll know if this team has any cajones by the All-Star game.

SMO
:gulp:

WhiteSox5187
05-31-2007, 01:39 AM
I think that almost everyone who hasn't thrown in the towel on 2007 already would agree that we'll know if this team has any cajones by the All-Star game.

SMO
:gulp:
The All Star game is a good time to re-evalute. I sure as hell hope by the All Star Game this team is kicking ass and taking names.

UserNameBlank
05-31-2007, 01:45 AM

-Eternal Optimist
Cleveland's June:
3 vs. DET
3 vs. KC
3 @ CIN
1 vs. SEA
3 @ FLA
3 vs. ATL
3 vs. PHI
3 @ WSH
4 vs. OAK
2 vs. TB

Deroit's June:
3 @ CLE
3 @ TEX
3 vs. NYM
3 vs. MIL
3 @ PHI
3 @ WSH
3 @ ATL
4 vs. TEX
2 vs. MIN

Our June:
3 @ TOR
4 vs. NYY
4 vs. HOU
3 @ PHI
3 @ PIT
3 vs. FLA
3 vs. CHC
4 @ TB
2 @ KC

The highlighted teams are .500 or below.

We play all sub-.500 teams in June, but look at the competition for CLE and DET. Besides playing each other, they get MIN and SEA who are just 2 games over, and all the other teams are NL teams. We really don't have that big of an advantage. Plus with the way the Sox play TB and KC, I'd rather they played the Mets, Brewers, or Braves instead.

June will be a telling month though, because CLE and DET should pretty much demolish the competition that month, especially with their bats heating up with the weather. If the Sox can not keep pace they are done.

Grzegorz
05-31-2007, 05:57 AM

-Eternal Optimist

The schedule means nothing; ask the Detroit Tigers about their promising September 2006 schedule.

All those teams can beat the Chicago White Sox because the Chicago White Sox are playing poorly at this point in time.

southside rocks
05-31-2007, 07:59 AM
This is a very good team that for some utterly unfathomable reason is playing very badly.

They aren't getting beat by other teams, they're beating themselves. That 'walk in the winning run' **** yesterday was almost cub-esque. :(:

I can't imagine Ozzie's level of frustration now, but if I were in his shoes I'd want to blow up the bullpen, with all the relievers except Jenks and Thornton in it.

The Immigrant
05-31-2007, 08:46 AM
All those teams can beat the Chicago White Sox because the Chicago White Sox are playing poorly at this point in time.

Exactly. We just went 4-7 in four consecutive series against teams that were below .500 when they faced us.

Cubs 1-2
A's 2-1
TB 1-1
Minn. 0-3

Hitmen77
05-31-2007, 11:14 AM

I don't know...reading some of the posts the last two days here leads me to believe that a lot of fans have indeed given up on the season.

Other than that, I agree with what you are saying. The Sox look pretty bad now. But in baseball, alot of teams have looked god-awful for a few weeks and then get back on track. I just hope the Sox get on track soon. On May 17, the Sox were on a little roll. They had just won 4 straight series and were (IIRC) 11-6 in their last 17 games. That was only 2 weeks ago, but it feels like 2 months ago to me.

Am I saying the Sox have absolutely no problems and are guaranteed to make the playoffs? Certainly not. But, I also don't think the Sox problems are insurmountable. I don't think the bullpen is irrevocably shot. They pitched well for us for 6 weeks and let's see if they can bounce back from this current meltdown. IMO, it's struggles like this that test the mental toughness of a team. Do the Sox have what it takes to deal with the past meltdowns and get back on track? I don't know, but stay tuned.

kevingrt
05-31-2007, 11:25 AM
If you give up now then why'd you try in the first place?

jabrch
05-31-2007, 11:32 AM
I don't know...reading some of the posts the last two days here leads me to believe that a lot of fans have indeed given up on the season.

A lot of fans are stupid.

This team won 5 of 6 serieses before splitting vs TAM (I'm guessing we'd have beaten Edwin Jackson's 7.00 ERA, but we got hosed by rain) and then being swept by the Twins.

If people give up on a team when they are 6.5 games out of the division and 4.5 games out of the wild card on June 1, that's their choice. To me, that's a losers mentality.

We very well may end up not playing well the rest of the year, and finishing 12 games out by October. But there's no freaking way any of the geniuses out here can guarantee we won't play the same type of ball we played from May 5 to May 25, and win 2/3 of our games. Either way - for a fan to give up at this point is very weak. A GM may decide to give up - because there is an opportunity to trade parts to build for the future. But until that happens, as long as the team is within reasonable striking distance, and still has reasonable talent, for fans to "give up" is ignorant.

Chicken Dinner
05-31-2007, 11:38 AM
I don't think fans are ready to give up but there is a huge amount of frustration out there. If we get beat, fine, but to give games away is driving every true fan crazy.

Palehose Pete
05-31-2007, 11:40 AM
The way the Sox are playing right now, I can only think of the words said by Homer Jay Simpson: "Yeah, they're the suckiest bunch of sucks who ever sucked."

credefan24
05-31-2007, 12:54 PM
It's only May 31-June 1. I don't know how anyone can really just give up on the team.
It is completely understandble that fans are p.o'd, angry, frustrated, whatever, at the way this team has been playing. They look like the living dead!
I just hope they can turn it around. We know the talent is there. I think they can do it. Heck, I won't stop belivin'!
There aer some problem areas that need to be addressed. But to say that a .500 team is out of it, at this point in the season, might just mean you are letting emotions get the best of you.
It's happend to all of us. We freak out, we want the team to win, and let our emotions take us over. Hey, we're human.

Now go sweep the Jays!

Foulke You
05-31-2007, 01:28 PM

-Eternal Optimist
I was looking at the upcoming June schedule and thinking the same thing. If we're still scuffling by the All Star Break, then it is time to re-evaluate your team and start thinking about making changes.

The Sox have the talent to make one of those 2nd half charges that we've seen other teams make in the past. It all starts with the pitching though. As much as this team scuffles on offense, if we continue to get starts like we've gotten this week, our season will be over in a hurry.

minutia
05-31-2007, 03:14 PM

Other than that, I agree with what you are saying. The Sox look pretty bad now. But in baseball, alot of teams have looked god-awful for a few weeks and then get back on track. I just hope the Sox get on track soon. On May 17, the Sox were on a little roll. They had just won 4 straight series and were (IIRC) 11-6 in their last 17 games. That was only 2 weeks ago, but it feels like 2 months ago to me.

Am I saying the Sox have absolutely no problems and are guaranteed to make the playoffs? Certainly not. But, I also don't think the Sox problems are insurmountable. I don't think the bullpen is irrevocably shot. They pitched well for us for 6 weeks and let's see if they can bounce back from this current meltdown. IMO, it's struggles like this that test the mental toughness of a team. Do the Sox have what it takes to deal with the past meltdowns and get back on track? I don't know, but stay tuned.

Exactly. The Yankees for instance routinely have a bad start but almost always manage to make the playoffs. My philosophy has always been to be cautiously optomistic until after the All Star Break. That seems to be the point where both the Sox or Cubs make or break their season. I knew the 2005 Sox team was special on opening day but I held off getting too excited until after the ASB