PDA

View Full Version : Question about stealing home and catcher's interference

Chez
05-30-2007, 10:59 AM
In last night's Blue Jays v. Yankees game, Aaron Hill stole home. When Posada noticed that Hill was breaking from third, he waved his arms to get Petitte's attention then jumped in front of the plate to receive the pitch. had the Blue Jay's batter taken an intentional soft swing as the pitch approached the plate, he would have hit Posada in the leg or back. Would this be ruled catcher's interference thereby allowing the hitter to safely reach first? Would Hill have been awarded home? If the answer to the second question is "no," what if the bases were loaded at the time? Seems like, under the circumstances, a decent strategy to graze the catcher with a swing (without injuring him).

Paulwny
05-30-2007, 11:09 AM
In last night's Blue Jays v. Yankees game, Aaron Hill stole home. When Posada noticed that Hill was breaking from third, he waved his arms to get Petitte's attention then jumped in front of the plate to receive the pitch. had the Blue Jay's batter taken an intentional soft swing as the pitch approached the plate, he would have hit Posada in the leg or back. Would this be ruled catcher's interference thereby allowing the hitter to safely reach first? Would Hill have been awarded home? If the answer to the second question is "no," what if the bases were loaded at the time? Seems like, under the circumstances, a decent strategy to graze the catcher with a swing (without injuring him).

From what I've read, Pettite stepped off the rubber when he threw home, therefore it was not a pitch.
If he was on the rubber when he threw home then it would be a pitch and yes , if the batter swung and hit Posada that would be catcher's interference.
Not sure, but I believe Hill would have to return to 3rd base.
If the bases are loaded then all runners advance.

Chez
05-30-2007, 11:13 AM
You are correct. Petitte did step off first. I would think a less experienced pitcher might not have the presence to step off before throwing home.