PDA

View Full Version : AJ Wants To Stay Long-Term.

Thome25
05-30-2007, 08:12 AM
As if we as Sox fans couldn't adore this guy any more that we already do. AJ is worried about being a distraction and hopes to stay with the Sox long term.

Here's the link:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070529soxbits,1,1835323.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

"Of course, I'd love to stay here," Pierzynski said Tuesday, one day after he was accused of spiking Minnesota's Justin Morneau. "It's not ultimately my decision. I don't want other [stuff] to factor in instead of just baseball. That's the thing that bothers me more than anything.

Also, my question is: Why did they have to put the spiking incident in this article?

FielderJones
05-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Also, my question is: Why did they have to put the spiking incident in this article?

:rolleyes:

It's the Cubune. Did you really expect the slant of the article to be favorable to the Sox???!!!!
:thud:

Chicken Dinner
05-30-2007, 10:13 AM
AJ needs to go into the stealth mode, shut his pie-hole, and just play baseball.

mark2olson
05-30-2007, 10:31 AM
AJ needs to go into the stealth mode, shut his pie-hole, and just play baseball.

Agreed. The time for talking is over. It is time for our players to execute and produce.

Railsplitter
05-30-2007, 10:40 AM
I want A.J. to stay. he's tough, hard nosed, and has his head in the game and not where the sun don't shine.

Gardenhire's claim of stpping on Morneua's foot is bogus, as A.J.'s foot didn't change position nor did, Morneau favor if for a few seconds, either or both would have happened had the foot been stepped on. At most, the side of AJ.'s shoe brushed up against the heel of Morneau's.

The Immigrant
05-30-2007, 10:44 AM

:thumbsup:

rdwj
05-30-2007, 11:27 AM

I don't want him to change a thing. In fact, I wish more of our players were more like AJ.

eriqjaffe
05-30-2007, 11:29 AM
At most, the side of AJ.'s shoe brushed up against the heel of Morneau's.So, basically, AJ just tried to give Morneau a flat tire?

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Agreed. The time for talking is over. It is WAY PAST time for our players to execute and produce.

I didn't fix it - I added my thoughts.

AJ needs to call the good games. The rest of the team needs to hustle and produce. Some of them look like they couldn't be the least bit interested in hustling.

mark2olson
05-30-2007, 11:58 AM
I didn't fix it - I added my thoughts.

AJ needs to call the good games. The rest of the team needs to hustle and produce. Some of them look like they couldn't be the least bit interested in hustling.

You are reading my mind. :thumbsup:

mwc44
05-30-2007, 12:02 PM
I want A.J. to stay. he's tough, hard nosed, and has his head in the game and not where the sun don't shine...

I don't want him to change a thing. In fact, I wish more of our players were more like AJ.

Well stated by both and I agree 100%. I will always believe that AJ's handling of the pitching staff was a MAJOR factor in the World Series Championship of 2005.

A long-term deal for him should be considered.

ND_Sox_Fan
05-30-2007, 12:08 PM

If by "shut his pie-hole" you mean, don't worry about what the likes of Gardenhire or the press are saying about him - I agree. However, if you are telling him to somehow change who and what he is on the field - we completely disagree.

His working of umpires, and getting under the skin of opposing players, coaches and fans is part of what makes him so valuable. You take that part of his game away, and the rest of his game would suffer.

So, stealth-mode and shutting his pie-hole on the field is not an option.

russ99
05-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Looks like the Cubune isn't the only media outlet that likes to make up non-stories about A.J.

Check out this tidbit: :angry:

Pierzynski's act starting to wear thin on White Sox
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=stwhitesoxpierzynski&prov=st&type=lgns

First of all, it wasn't a rundown, it was a DP and video showed AJ didn't have any ill intent.

Also, Ozzie's quote and the Score conflict was from a few weeks ago.

Must be a slow news day when they need to manufacture discontent stories about A.J. and the Sox.

I wonder if there's somewhere where I can complain about this. (other than WSI :cool: )

Chicken Dinner
05-30-2007, 01:36 PM
If by "shut his pie-hole" you mean, don't worry about what the likes of Gardenhire or the press are saying about him - I agree. However, if you are telling him to somehow change who and what he is on the field - we completely disagree.

His working of umpires, and getting under the skin of opposing players, coaches and fans is part of what makes him so valuable. You take that part of his game away, and the rest of his game would suffer.

So, stealth-mode and shutting his pie-hole on the field is not an option.

It seems to be helping out the pitching staff quite nicely. Kenny isn't going to stand for it.

oeo
05-30-2007, 02:07 PM

Unless I'm forgetting something, I have yet to hear AJ say anything stupid in a Sox uniform.

MeteorsSox4367
05-30-2007, 02:49 PM
Sign the man. Period. Whether people agree or not with his methods, the man has heart and plays like the game matters to him as much as it matters to us fans.

Sign. Him.

Hitmen77
05-30-2007, 02:55 PM
I want A.J. to stay. he's tough, hard nosed, and has his head in the game and not where the sun don't shine.

Gardenhire's claim of stepping on Morneua's foot is bogus, as A.J.'s foot didn't change position nor did, Morneau favor if for a few seconds, either or both would have happened had the foot been stepped on. At most, the side of AJ.'s shoe brushed up against the heel of Morneau's.

Absolutely! Can't anyone in the media see through this as a fabrication to get his team fired up. Unfortunately, it seems to be working - but I wish someone would finally call B.S. on the Twins for their pattern of fabricating controversy at the expense of the Sox. IIRC, some stupid Sox players bad mouthed the Twins in the press something like 5 years ago and the Twins really milked that for years - even after those players were gone from the Sox.

IMO, Gardenhire has outmaneuvered Ozzie on this one. He has BS-ed his way to firing up his team to a likely sweep while Ozzie and AJ are stuck backpeddling. Hey, I hate it - but more power to him. If that was for the Sox I'd be loving it to death. On our end, what we get in terms of motivation is Ozzie showering the Twins with praise and coming up with motivational nicknames for them.

[/rant]

The Dude
05-30-2007, 07:49 PM
My beef with AJ is he is GIDPing more than he used to, he seems to be getting worse at throwing out runners (not that he could get much worse) and doesn't seem to hit much with runners on. I love the guy's attitude and power bat but he needs to work on a few things if he wants to stay long term.

For the record, AJ has more GIDPs this season than he had the entire last season!
2006: 10 GIDPs in 509 ABs
2007: 11 GIDPs in 154 ABs

MarySwiss
05-30-2007, 08:40 PM
As I've said before, for the past two years, I drove down to the Sox final Spring Training workout before the actual games started. Both times, AJ could not have been any nicer or any more receptive to the fans. He also seemed to get along great with the other players. But then, what do I know? I was only there in person. Obviously, the muckrakers in the press know more. :rolleyes: