PDA

View Full Version : Bullpen: Where's the heat?

Qdiddy
05-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Going into the season I was very excited because I thought we had multiple guys in our bullpen that were able to throw in the upper 90's, but I can't even remember when was the last time I saw a 95Mph fastball from anyone. I think Jenks had a 99mph fastball against the Cubs, but who can trust those WGN radar guns.

Anyways, my point is either we missed scouting these guys correctly or they just lost the juice. I know it's all about location and changing speeds, but if Aardsma, Sisco, Thornton, MacDougal, and Jenks were constantly throwing upper 90's like we all thought they were, they would not be getting tagged like they are.

What do you guys think is causing the drop in velocity? Too many innings? or again did KW just expect too much from these middle of the road relievers?

Lip Man 1
05-29-2007, 11:26 PM
Qdiddy:

Throwing 99 miles an hour if you can't find the plate, fall behind hitters and walk everything in sight sort of renders the point meaningless don't you think?

Velocity is nothing without control and location.

Lip

Huisj
05-29-2007, 11:53 PM
Qdiddy:

Throwing 99 miles an hour if you can't find the plate, fall behind hitters and walk everything in sight sort of renders the point meaningless don't you think?

Lip

Right, and they can't even find the plate much when they throw 91-92 right now. Though part of me sort of wonders if part of the problem is that they are all trying to be too fine and aren't trusting their stuff and maybe they are aiming instead of just throwing.

Think of the way Sisco was throwing the last few weeks. He looked stiff and a board out there. To me that looks like someone who is tentatively aiming their stuff and won't trust the natural ability of their arm.

kitekrazy
05-30-2007, 12:06 AM
Going into the season I was very excited because I thought we had multiple guys in our bullpen that were able to throw in the upper 90's, but I can't even remember when was the last time I saw a 95Mph fastball from anyone. I think Jenks had a 99mph fastball against the Cubs, but who can trust those WGN radar guns.

It doesn't matter how hard you throw if you can't change speeds.

chisoxmike
05-30-2007, 01:26 AM
Heat goes a long way when you can't find the strike zone.

DMarte708
05-30-2007, 05:11 AM
Qdiddy:

Lip
You didn't answer his question. What has accounted for the drop in velocity across several relievers? Personally, I find it quite troubling that only Thornton appears to have regained the fastball of previous seasons. There must be something with our workout regimen or Cooper philosophy which is causing this. How is it even possible for MacDougal, Jenks, Aardsma, Sisco to all experience a velocity drop without a noticeable sign of arm troubles?

Madscout
05-30-2007, 09:08 AM
You didn't answer his question. What has accounted for the drop in velocity across several relievers? Personally, I find it quite troubling that only Thornton appears to have regained the fastball of previous seasons. There must be something with our workout regimen or Cooper philosophy which is causing this. How is it even possible for MacDougal, Jenks, Aardsma, Sisco to all experience a velocity drop without a noticeable sign of arm troubles?
Or it could be that none of them have any confidence, try to slow it down to hit the plate, and still blow saves. If the offense loses us a game, you can't really pin it all on one guy. Bullpen not so much (unless there are blatent errors or ****ty turf in that **** hole of a dome).

FedEx227
05-30-2007, 10:05 AM

Mechanics, mechanics, mechanics.

Why is this so far for people to understand. MacDougal is not throwing how he use to, he's flying open and not allowing his body to follow through properly.

Sisco is releasing the ball insanely late and falling down turning his 6'10 frame into 6'3.

Jenks/Aardsma is tough to say. Obviously, the weight loss for Jenks hasn't quite helped, as far as Aardsma it's really tough to say because last year he hit 100 almost 3-4 times throughout the season and averaged 96-98 on his fastball.

Chicken Dinner
05-30-2007, 11:11 AM
You have to have control before you worry about velocity.
If you can't get the ball over the plate, it doesn't matter how fast you throw. Just ask guys like Farnsworth.

WhiteSox5187
05-30-2007, 01:44 PM
What upsets me is that the bullpen just looks like crap. Jenks may not have his velocity, but he's getting guys out and he's the only guy doing that. Everybody else in the bullpen scares the beejesus out of me.