PDA

View Full Version : Miller Park...

Kilroy
03-30-2002, 02:43 PM
Had a nice time at the game last night even tho the end result was not what we wanted. Danny Wrong looked pretty good, but he pitched behind way too many hitters last night. Recipe for disaster on a better hitting team. He didn't start getting first pitch strike over until the 3rd, and he ended up throwing a lot of pitches in his 4 innings. Miller Park shows the pitch speed and also the pitch count and ratio of balls/strikes for the pitcher while they are on the mound. That was nice.

As far as the park itself was concerned, it was nice. It felt more like walking into the United Center than into a baseball park. And I couldn't get used to indoor baseball at all. Had great seats in the 200 level, even with the 3rd base line sitting on the first base side of home plate.

I guess I was expecting to be blown away with how much nicer this place would be in comparison to Comiskey, but I wasn't at all. It was nice, but not in such a way that made me think "I wish this was our park". The one thing I really didn't like was the seating. The seats were directly behind one another. So looking down towards the field, you have to look directly over someone's head. Usually, you have the seats staggered so that you're looking between the two people in front of you. Other than that, I didn't see too much that could be considered a flaw. The food was excellent, and the environment was comfortable.

Leaving Milwaukee today, we got a good look at it in daylight, and I have to say it's pretty ugly from the outside. It looked like the Temple of Doom from the old Superfriends cartoon.

Did I hate it? Not at all. Did it blow me away and make new Comiskey look crappy? Not by a long shot. I just wish we could get the footlong brats down here.

kermittheefrog
03-30-2002, 03:18 PM
Ever been to Camden yards? Now THERES a park that made me hate Comiskey.

NorthSideConvert
03-30-2002, 06:48 PM
I was underwhelmed when I vistied BlatzDome (Miller Park?) last year. Sure County Stadium had the most uncomfortable seats I ever sat in at a ball park and did have a recycled quonset hut look about it. But it was as real as it gets. It was pure Milwaukee. No nonsense, no frills, no sense of style. Bernie Brewer still had his Chalet and Giant Mug, not some more politically correct water park slide as he now does. One could smoke in the bleachers. Now there are two ghastly designated smoking areas from which the game cannot be seen. And talk about about a "Ball Mall" they have a Bennigans of TGIF's or some other suburban chain restaurant right in the park. Uggh. County Stadium, RIP

GO SOX

NSC

MarqSox
03-30-2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by NorthSideConvert
One could smoke in the bleachers. Now there are tow ghastly designated smoking areas from which the game cannot be seen. And talk about about a "Ball Mall" they have a Bennigans of TGIF's or some other suburban chain restaurant right in the park. Uggh. County Stadium, RIP

GO SOX

NSC

I know, I hate going home from games now lacking the putrid smell of some other guy's cigarette smoke. Just not the same.

duke of dorwood
03-30-2002, 09:18 PM
I was there today. It's a magnificent park. My daughter visits several different parks a year, right now its right at the top of her list, and she thought about it a lot. All Sox fans I talked to there today were extremely impressed too. They get that, we get bushes in centerfield. Such is life as a Sox fan.

czalgosz
03-30-2002, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I was there today. It's a magnificent park. My daughter visits several different parks a year, right now its right at the top of her list, and she thought about it a lot. All Sox fans I talked to there today were extremely impressed too. They get that, we get bushes in centerfield. Such is life as a Sox fan.

I have always been of the opinion that pretty ballparks were for the yokels - I would watch the Sox play if they were playing on a city playground.

I have been to the Oakland Coliseum several times since moving out here, and I have to say that it's a thoroughly enjoyable place to watch a game. Where it's located, the weather is nearly always nice, and I've sat in several places around the stadium and have yet to get a bad seat. It's not much to look at, but for a multi-sport stadium, it's really pretty nice.

On the other side of the coin, I have seen both the Giants and the 49ers play at Candlestick, and it isn't a nice place to watch either sport. Not only is it ugly, but they made a whole bunch of compromises to suit both teams that make it less fun to watch either.

FarWestChicago
03-30-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
I have been to the Oakland Coliseum several times since moving out here, and I have to say that it's a thoroughly enjoyable place to watch a game. Where it's located, the weather is nearly always nice, and I've sat in several places around the stadium and have yet to get a bad seat. It's not much to look at, but for a multi-sport stadium, it's really pretty nice.The Coliseum was much nicer before they put in the Al Davis modifications.

NorthSideConvert
03-30-2002, 10:03 PM
Sorry my smoke bothers you, Marge. Loosen up honey, I fear the point I was trying to make about the soullessness of the new BlatzDome went right over your journalist trained mind.

They'll take away my smokes when they pry 'em from my cold dead fingers.

NSC

mrwag
03-30-2002, 10:20 PM
I was at the game today (Saturday) and have to admit I was very impressed with Miller. I thought some of the trafic flow was ackward on the main level, whereas at Comiskey you can walk all the way around the place and still see the game. At Miller, it's like you are in a hallway and there's some rooms you have to walk around. Otherwise, I thought it was a very comfortable place, my bleacher seats were very AFFORDABLE (what's that mean, Mr. Reinsdorf), and the park was very pretty. They atleast got real brick, while we have precast concrete all over. And they have green seats! E Gads!

duke of dorwood
03-30-2002, 10:28 PM
They have an interesting promotion coming up. Free parking, half price admissions and 1.00 hot dogs and pop all on the same night. This might be for a whole 3 game series in April.

MarqSox
03-31-2002, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by NorthSideConvert
Sorry my smoke bothers you, Marge. Loosen up honey, I fear the point I was trying to make about the soullessness of the new BlatzDome went right over your journalist trained mind.

They'll take away my smokes when they pry 'em from my cold dead fingers.

NSC

I got your point, Connie. Settle down sweetie, I think the sarcastic social commentary I was trying to make about your lack of consideration for nonsmoking baseball fans sailed right past your nicotine soaked head.

If your allegiance to tobacco is stronger than your allegiance to baseball, then I think you've got a bigger problem than not being allowed to smoke in Miller Park.

Kilroy
03-31-2002, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by mrwag
I was at the game today (Saturday) and have to admit I was very impressed with Miller. I thought some of the trafic flow was ackward on the main level, whereas at Comiskey you can walk all the way around the place and still see the game. At Miller, it's like you are in a hallway and there's some rooms you have to walk around. Otherwise, I thought it was a very comfortable place, my bleacher seats were very AFFORDABLE (what's that mean, Mr. Reinsdorf), and the park was very pretty. They atleast got real brick, while we have precast concrete all over. And they have green seats! E Gads!

I noticed that too. Walking around the concourse, I couldn't see the game. And you can't see the field at all from the concourse behind home plate because the pressbox blocks the view.

As far as your ticket prices, sure, you got a bleacher seat for $10. But did you know that seats at Miller Park range from $5 to $75? And the $75 dollar seats aren't in the suites either. Those are the seats just above the dugout between home plate and the edge of the infield dirt on either side of the field. Same seats at Comiskey? $26. When you have a $75 dollar ticket, its a little easier to offer a $5 one. That point is illustrated when you look at the average ticket price in each stadium. $19 at Comiskey, $26 at Miller Park.

NorthSideConvert
03-31-2002, 11:11 AM
MarqSox, your opening sentence was a wonderful comeback. But you whiffed on the 82 mph Jim Parque pitch I threw you with my "cold dead fingers" crack. A turgid and sanctimonious response. Worthy of former jounralist Al Gore. Me ,I'm more Mike Royko's style. [Yes, I know, the smokes and booze killed him] Peace out--

NSC