PDA

View Full Version : Luis Castillo and Ichiro OR Iguchi and Dye In '08?

Thome25
05-29-2007, 12:29 PM
Looks like Luis Castillo might be a FA possibility at 2B in 2008. Could you imagine the Sox getting TWO top of the order hitters in Ichiro and Castillo this off season?

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/404483,CST-SPT-soxnt29.article

Guillen had to bite his tongue when it came to talking about Minnesota Twins free agent-to-be Luis Castillo. Castillo is not only a top-of-the-order hitter, but Guillen coached the second baseman while with the Florida Marlins. Sox second baseman Tadahito Iguchi also is a free agent at the end of the season.

ewokpelts
05-29-2007, 12:34 PM
castillo's fat and old. pass.
ichiro? i'd prefer him AND dye.

eriqjaffe
05-29-2007, 12:34 PM
Could you imagine the Sox getting TWO top of the order hitters in Ichiro and Castillo this off season?Honestly, no, but that has more to do with the fact that the Sox haven't signed a high-profile free agent (Konerko notwithstanding) since Albert Belle.

Thome25
05-29-2007, 12:35 PM
castillo's fat and old. pass.
ichiro? i'd prefer him AND dye.

Why not castillo? he hits for high average and can steal a couple of bags as well.

Scottiehaswheels
05-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Ichiro, Iguchi, and Dye

Thome25
05-29-2007, 12:36 PM
Honestly, no, but that has more to do with the fact that the Sox haven't signed a high-profile free agent (Konerko notwithstanding) since Albert Belle.

We have more money to work with now than we did in 1997 when we signed Belle. expect the Sox to be players in the FA market.

kjhanson
05-29-2007, 12:45 PM
My initial reaction was no way. But after doing a bit of research, Luis Castillo has been a much better ballplayer over the past couple years than I thought. Only once has he hit less than .291 in his career and including this year he has hit .300 in 4 out of the last five seasons. I was also surprised to see that he will only be 32 this year.

He doesn't run nearly as much as he used to, and playing off the turf hurts his defense a little bit. He is also making $5.75 million this year.

JB98
05-29-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm the only one who voted "other" so far.Why not Dye, Ichiro and Iguchi?

eriqjaffe
05-29-2007, 01:01 PM
We have more money to work with now than we did in 1997 when we signed Belle. expect the Sox to be players in the FA market.Yeah, we had more money after last the last two seasons, too, but we didn't sign anybody worth mentioning. The Sox have, for years, made it abundantly clear that they basically consider the top-tier FA market a sucker's game.

IndianWhiteSox
05-29-2007, 01:12 PM
Yeah, we had more money after last the last two seasons, too, but we didn't sign anybody worth mentioning. The Sox have, for years, made it abundantly clear that they basically consider the top-tier FA market a sucker's game.

That's because those last two years, the FA game has been crap, but since the White Sox love the idea of having 12,000 people in attendance, I'm sure they wouldn't at least consider it.

HotelWhiteSox
05-29-2007, 01:32 PM
I went other with Ichiro and Iguchi.

I like JD, but I figure if we'll probably spend it one place, I'd pick Ichiro over Dye.

And I think Iguchi is fine, Castillo would probably fit in well, but the position isn't that deep, I'd have no problem with keeping Iguchi (might help with Ichiro too)

INSox56
05-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Ichiro and Iguchi if given the choice of those 4 players.

Scottiehaswheels
05-29-2007, 01:42 PM
'07 offseason

3 year contract for Dye 43mil 14.3 mil per
5 year contract for Ichiro 72 mil 14.4 mil per
3 year contract for Iguchi 14 mil w/incentives 4.6 mil per with 3-4 mil incentives
Shop one of the pitchers replace with Masset/AAA kids

'08 offseason
Thome's contract expires after '08? Thome is gone to FA or retirement
Dye moves to left next year
one of the kids takes over in left to keep payroll down
Ichiro in center

'09 season

Dye is DH for remainder of the 3 year deal
Another kid takes over in left

Sargeant79
05-29-2007, 02:05 PM
'07 offseason

3 year contract for Dye 43mil 14.3 mil per
5 year contract for Ichiro 72 mil 14.4 mil per
3 year contract for Iguchi 14 mil w/incentives 4.6 mil per with 3-4 mil incentives
Shop one of the pitchers replace with Masset/AAA kids

'08 offseason
Thome's contract expires after '08? Thome is gone to FA or retirement
Dye moves to left next year
one of the kids takes over in left to keep payroll down
Ichiro in center

'09 season

Dye is DH for remainder of the 3 year deal
Another kid takes over in left

I second this. I think it may cost more to get Ichiro though. I agree about Dye too. I think he's still a very valuable piece of the puzzle, but anything more than a 3 year deal would not be smart on the part of the Sox.

I wonder if Kenny's got it on his board...

johnr1note
05-29-2007, 02:16 PM
Ichiro, Iguchi, and Dye

Oh, My!

The Immigrant
05-29-2007, 02:23 PM
If Ozzie has his way, Luis Castillo will be playing 2B for the Sox for the next 3-4 years.

roadrunner
05-29-2007, 02:39 PM
My initial reaction was no way. But after doing a bit of research, Luis Castillo has been a much better ballplayer over the past couple years than I thought. Only once has he hit less than .291 in his career and including this year he has hit .300 in 4 out of the last five seasons. I was also surprised to see that he will only be 32 this year.

Same thoughts here. In addition, I like the fact that he doesn't strike out much (way less than Iguchi anyway).

Iguchi career: .273/.344/.418
Castillo career: .294/.369/.358

It boils down to a preference between Iguchi's power and Castillo's OBP/striking out less. It's close but I would take Iguchi because Ichiro/Iguchi at the top of the order seems more dangerous than Ichiro/Castillo. Plus, it would be cool to have two great Japanese players setting the table for the big bats.

D. TODD
05-29-2007, 02:57 PM
Ichiro and fill in the blank with just about anyone at second and I'd be :D: !!