PDA

View Full Version : Fields at SS?

CHIsoxNation
05-29-2007, 09:22 AM
Anyone know if this was just because they needed Josh to fill in for a game or if this is something the Sox are going to try for a while?

Not Joshing you

Third base prospect Josh Fields played shortstop and went 1-for-4 with a double in Triple-A Charlotte's 4-1 loss to Louisville. Fields is batting .283 with nine home runs and 32 RBIs for the Knights.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070528soxbits,1,1311034.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

The Immigrant
05-29-2007, 10:01 AM
With Pedro Lopez claimed by Cincy and Andy Gonzales called up, Charlotte is left with virtually no middle infielders. Thus we have seen Fields at SS for three games in a row.

whitesoxfan
05-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Yeah and apparently one of our middle IF's down there, Kenny Perez, was hurt a few days ago. We must have just signed Tomas Perez to a minor league deal a couple days ago as well because he started at 2B yesterday and played for the first time this season with the Knights. The lack of IF's also explains why Gustavo Molina is now playing at 3B.

And speaking of Perez, this guy really just needs to call it quits. He was brutal in AAA Las Vegas this season, .227/.281/.614, 2 HR and 15 RBIs in 36 games. I'm not really a big fan of wasting too much roster space in AAA on Major League has-beens and never-was players.

KRS1
05-29-2007, 02:59 PM
I've been wanting to see this for a while now. I'm not comparing players here, rather situations. Ripken made this switch, and he was pulled it off rather well, and it's not like Ripken was a super athlete in terms of quickness/speed, and Josh is an exceptional athlete for a third baseman. I'm probably making too much of this, but I would really like to keep him there for a while and see how it goes.

CHIsoxNation
05-29-2007, 03:48 PM
I've been wanting to see this for a while now. I'm not comparing players here, rather situations. Ripken made this switch, and he was pulled it off rather well, and it's not like Ripken was a super athlete in terms of quickness/speed, and Josh is an exceptional athlete for a third baseman. I'm probably making too much of this, but I would really like to keep him there for a while and see how it goes.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

SoxxoS
05-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Especially since Crede can't be kept at third -

After he unbelieveablely said he is probably going to have back surgery - When he has upcoming Free Agency, was crazy...but it might work out to the Sox benefit.