PDA

View Full Version : What is with this final weekend schedule?

OutInLeftField
03-30-2002, 11:50 AM
Is management trying to make sure everyone is jetlagged for the opener Monday?

Thursday - Arizona. Friday & Saturday - Milwaukee. Sunday - SF. Monday - Seattle. God forbid we actually arrive early in Seattle and get rested and focused.

What is the purpose of preseason games in Milwaukee anyway? It is barely a Major League team talent-wise (talk about a retraction candidate). Do the powers that be think we need more hitting practice for the pitchers? Or Frank needs some time at First (so he can dive for another line drive?)

I don't get it.

CerberusWG
03-30-2002, 11:56 AM
Yeah, very good points!

I don't understand it either. I could understand, say go to Colorado for two games, then San Fran, because that wouldn't be so bad. But Milwaukee? That's a little too much.

czalgosz
03-30-2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
Yeah, very good points!

I don't understand it either. I could understand, say go to Colorado for two games, then San Fran, because that wouldn't be so bad. But Milwaukee? That's a little too much.

It's not too bad - it's about a 5-hour flight from Milwaukee to San Francisco. Say they finish the game today at 4 P.M. Central Time, board a 6 P.M. flight - Arrive in San Francisco at 9 P.M. Pacific Time. The game tomorrow starts at 1 P.M. Pacific Time, so that's 16 hours between the time the plane lands in San Francisco and game time tomorrow. Then the game ends at 4 P.M. Pacific time, they get on a 6 P.M. flight - arrive in Seattle by 8 P.M. - game time 2 P.M. on Monday. Certainly not any more rigourous than the regular season.

voodoochile
03-30-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

It's not too bad - it's about a 5-hour flight from Milwaukee to San Francisco. Say they finish the game today at 4 P.M. Central Time, board a 6 P.M. flight - Arrive in San Francisco at 9 P.M. Pacific Time. The game tomorrow starts at 1 P.M. Pacific Time, so that's 16 hours between the time the plane lands in San Francisco and game time tomorrow. Then the game ends at 4 P.M. Pacific time, they get on a 6 P.M. flight - arrive in Seattle by 8 P.M. - game time 2 P.M. on Monday. Certainly not any more rigourous than the regular season.

Still if they were smart, they would send Burly-Mon ahead to Seattle today after the game. Then on Sunday they should mostly play the bench after a few innings. No risks, little worry, lets start the season on a high note.

OutInLeftField
03-30-2002, 12:09 PM
The only good reason would be if we opened at home. But that's not the case.

It is probably that "geographic rivalry" they talked so much about. Since the Sox play the NL East this year, Bud needed to try to get some Chicago money still.

Are tickets the same price as regular season? Because that would be dumb.

"Our sport is in economic trouble. Want $30 tickets to a preseason game." I know Bears season ticket holders that don't want to go to the preseason games they have to buy. And that is a sport with 8 home games.

These interleague preseason games should be free or darn close to free. And not cause us to have a 3000 mile road trip before the season starts.

czalgosz
03-30-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Still if they were smart, they would send Burly-Mon ahead to Seattle today after the game. Then on Sunday they should mostly play the bench after a few innings. No risks, little worry, lets start the season on a high note.

Well, tomorrow I'll be there, so hopefully it won't be just total scrubs. In any case, the minor-leaguers will have to report to their respective teams next week, so it will probably just be the 25-man roster in San Francisco. I might see Jeff Liefer instead of Carlos Lee in left, for instance, and Tony Graffanino instead of Ray Durham, but I won't be seeing Scott Bikowski and Danny Sandoval, if that's what you mean.

FarWestChicago
03-30-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by OutInLeftField
Is management trying to make sure everyone is jetlagged for the opener Monday? There is speculation about the reason for the schedule at the end of this news story on the home page:

Hey, let's take a world tour! (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=1&id=337)

czalgosz
03-30-2002, 12:16 PM

Are tickets the same price as regular season? Because that would be dumb.

I don't know about Miller Park, but the Giants charged me regular-season prices for this game. I paid, mainly because I don't get to see the Sox very much.

OutInLeftField
03-30-2002, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the link to the article. Figures it is about the money. I am surprised they don't have the boys playing the Harlem Globetrotters in Tokyo as well.

Right now I am picturing them travelling in the plane from "Major League."

OutInLeftField
03-30-2002, 12:34 PM
Have a great time at the SF game czalgosz! Wish I could be there. I saw a LA v. SF game at Candlestick a dozen or so years ago. It was like 40 degrees in the upper deck but I still had a great time and it is a beautiful city.

My comments are mainly directed at the Milwaukee leg of this unnecessary trip. Bud and Jerry trying to make an extra buck at the expense of the boys as the season commences. Not what I see as a true commitment to winning. More of a true commitment to making as much cash as possible at any expense.

FarWestChicago
03-30-2002, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the link to the article. Figures it is about the money. I am surprised they don't have the boys playing the Harlem Globetrotters in Tokyo as well.
LMAO!!!

Spiff
03-30-2002, 01:15 PM

Right now I am picturing them travelling in the plane from "Major League."

Haha that is great.

Post of the week material right there...

Jerry_Manuel
03-30-2002, 01:39 PM
Sox not complaining about strange schedule (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=1&id=341)

The Sox receive flat fees from each of the three exhibition games, and they should total roughly $200,000. Much of that money is used to defray spring training costs.

:reinsy
The rest goes into my pockets.

OutInLeftField
03-30-2002, 03:41 PM
Another good link.

Let's call that $200,000 that conveniently does not go toward Comiskey attendance figures which determines the Sox "rent."

So rather than try to get more fans into the park to make money, play ridiculous exhibition games for cash before we play a team that won 116 games last year. I guess I see the logic in that (actually, I still don't.)