PDA

View Full Version : IHSA Summer Baseball/Softball Question

Viva Medias B's
05-28-2007, 01:49 PM
I was looking at the IHSA guidelines for high school summer baseball/softball, and one of the bylaws stated that seniors who have already graduated retain their eligibility to play. So, for example, a baseball/softball player who received a diploma this spring can still play on the summer team?

gosiu
05-28-2007, 07:14 PM
I was looking at the IHSA guidelines for high school summer baseball/softball, and one of the bylaws stated that seniors who have already graduated retain their eligibility to play. So, for example, a baseball/softball player who received a diploma this spring can still play on the summer team?
Maybe it's like college where students are allowed to play for a certain number of years. In this case, if the student still has another year of eligability, why stop them from playing just because they were so good in class they could graduate a semester?

CHISOXFAN13
05-28-2007, 07:29 PM

Ive covered the IHSBCA summer league for eight years, and Ive never seen a graduated senior play.

ChiSoxRowand
05-29-2007, 03:28 AM
I played summer ball for two years, and they never let seniors play. Most schools it's the same way. It's kind of pointless for seniors to take playing time away from the younger guys.

ilsox7
05-29-2007, 03:52 AM
It would make no sense for a coach to allow a graduating senior to play. The purpose of summer ball is to begin preparation for the following spring. Then again, the travelling leagues offer much better competition, though I think a lot of high school coaches have dire consequences for players who do not play on their high school summer team, which is unfortunate.

Zisk77
05-30-2007, 01:43 PM
It just means that if your team advances far enough in the playoffs school will be out and you will still be playing. Therefore, your seniors will have (hopefully) graduated. They just hadn't graduated when the season started. In fact, Edwardsville's graduation day always seems to coincide with a sectional game. You have graduates walking in a baseball uniform sometimes :?: .