PDA

View Full Version : Buster Olney: Ichiro to the Sox in '08

Brian26
05-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Buster Olney in his ESPN Insider column this week predicted the Sox to sign Ichiro after this season as a free agent.

Here's a great quote from the Cub fan that runs mlbtraderumors:
Olney sees Ichiro with the White Sox. I like the match. Fits their style, sparks fan interest. Do I think it'd be a smart signing? No. But I can see it happening. One would almost rather prefer Darin Erstad and his .685 OPS, as at least that comes cheap.

salty99
05-27-2007, 10:02 PM
Interesting find, but i doubt it would happen. Don't we already have a bunch of spots to fill and use our money on next year?

A. Cavatica
05-27-2007, 10:22 PM
The loss of Ozuna magnifies the hole we've had in left and center for the past 1 1/2 seasons. If we're going after Ichiro in 2008, why not make the M's an offer they can't refuse right now?

We really need a quality leadoff hitter and outfielder, and we're in a situation where we'll have to overpay. It's better to overpay for a great player than a mediocre one.

The Immigrant
05-27-2007, 10:26 PM
The loss of Ozuna magnifies the hole we've had in left and center for the past 1 1/2 seasons. If we're going after Ichiro in 2008, why not make the M's an offer they can't refuse right now?

We really need a quality leadoff hitter and outfielder, and we're in a situation where we'll have to overpay. It's better to overpay for a great player than a mediocre one.

The Mariners are only a couple of games behind us (and we're only 3 games out of the Wild Card lead). I doubt they would trade Ichiro now.

DumpJerry
05-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Why would he come here since we will be firing Ozzie and Walker next week?

Seriously, he is the marketing department for the Mariners. They won't let him get away.

Bobby Jenks
05-27-2007, 10:50 PM
With Japanese owners,i doubt the Mariners would let him go. They would take huge hit to their fan base

AJ Hellraiser
05-27-2007, 10:55 PM
With Japanese owners,i doubt the Mariners would let him go. They would take huge hit to their fan base

The Mariners' fan base wants to win... when they were completely out of the playoff race a couple years ago for the first time in a while I remember some stories about how depressed the fans were because they'd grown accustomed to good baseball during the Griffey, A-Rod, Big Unit, Edgar Martinez, Jay Buhner days....

They really haven't done a whole lot of winning (besides the 116 win season) since Ichiro arrived (not that it's his fault).... but if a trade fetches them the talent and pitching that can make them a winner again fast they will bite...

HotelWhiteSox
05-27-2007, 11:04 PM
Damn, our moves are usually under the radar, it never works on when these mediots make it public

soxwon
05-27-2007, 11:18 PM
Ichiro n AROD wow what a combo.
And if you think its not, your high!!!
Plus rowand too- look out.

soxwon
05-27-2007, 11:21 PM
I hear Jerry Reinsdorff has a cousin thats Japanese.
Charlie Reinsakamoto i think is his name
Im sure he could get Ichiro here.

grv1974
05-27-2007, 11:55 PM

Exactamundo!

DSpivack
05-28-2007, 01:11 AM
From Olney's keyboard to KW's ears, or Reinsdorf's pen.

oeo
05-28-2007, 01:48 AM
Interesting find, but i doubt it would happen. Don't we already have a bunch of spots to fill and use our money on next year?

Leadoff is a glaring weakness. I know Erstad has been pretty good this year, but I would much rather have the best leadoff hitter in the game.

oeo
05-28-2007, 01:52 AM
Seriously, he is the marketing department for the Mariners. They won't let him get away.

The thing is, Ichiro wants to win. The best thing the Mariners could do is put a winning team on the field. He'll be out of Seattle next year.

Especially when it's a guy like Ichiro, who will bring in a ton of money. I've been saying it for awhile now; I hope Kenny does whatever it takes to get him in a Sox uniform.

Nellie_Fox
05-28-2007, 02:09 AM
Plus rowand too- look out.:rolleyes:

FireMariotti
05-28-2007, 02:24 AM
Plus rowand too- look out.

Well, at least somebody is high.:D:

beck72
05-28-2007, 06:57 AM
If the Mariners hit a long losing streak, I could see them trading Ichiro. And the sox would be smart to acquire him this year for two reasons: He'll help them win in 2007 and it could give the sox an inside track into signing Ichiro to a deal.

Yet if the M's are anywhere near the playoffs come the deadline, they should hold onto him. Here's hoping the Mariners go on a 10 game losing streak.

IndianWhiteSox
05-28-2007, 07:19 AM
This would solve our lead-off problem and improve our D in the outfield(playing CF or RF) where Dye can be more than adequate(fielding wise) in LF. Not to mention, it would also make us a more marketable team overseas.

The Racehorse
05-28-2007, 08:50 AM
Ichiro said at the beginning of spring training that he's tired of losing in Seattle and that seeking a deal elsewhere as a free agent was a possibility... I'd be surprised if he's a Mariner in '08.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/mariners/2007-05-15-cover-ichiro_N.htm

DumpJerry
05-28-2007, 11:11 AM
This would solve our lead-off problem and improve our D in the outfield(playing CF or RF) where Dye can be more than adequate(fielding wise) in LF. Not to mention, it would also make us a more marketable team overseas.
I agree. While Pods seems like a nice guy and all, he's not reliable in the health dept. I'm pretty sure Kenny & Co. are looking for a new lead-off man for the next year and the future.

Iguchi already makes up pretty popular in Japan.

NoNeckEra
05-28-2007, 12:37 PM
If the Mariners hit a long losing streak, I could see them trading Ichiro. And the sox would be smart to acquire him this year for two reasons: He'll help them win in 2007 and it could give the sox an inside track into signing Ichiro to a deal.

Yet if the M's are anywhere near the playoffs come the deadline, they should hold onto him. Here's hoping the Mariners go on a 10 game losing streak.
Get Ichiro in a month or so, when the M's are starting to sense the year is over, and throw in Iguchi. As far as I'm concerned, they can have any other starter they want, or pitcher, for that matter, including "Guch".

DumpJerry
05-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Get Ichiro in a month or so, when the M's are starting to sense the year is over, and throw in Iguchi. As far as I'm concerned, they can have any other starter they want, or pitcher, for that matter, including "Guch".
Throw in Guch, but let us keep Gooch. Iguchi is a vacuum cleaner at Second with his glove, I respectfully disagree with shipping him out.

Lukin13
05-28-2007, 01:43 PM
I am not sure exactly what amount of revenue Ichiro must generate for the M's overseas.....

But I am guessing that if there is any guy that earns his paycheck off the field it is him.

I wouldn't be suprised in the least bit if he is worth some crazy $$$$ that no one even expects... like double what we see coming.

From a baseball ONLY standpoint he is an obvious perfect fit for us here in Chicago.... and with possibly Buehrle, Crede and Dye money to spend you would think we could afford him.

But, I am not sure Ichiro will garner "baseball only" money.

oeo
05-28-2007, 03:44 PM

If we sign Ichiro, I think you can kiss Dye good-bye. And I have no problem with that. He's been great for us, our World Series MVP, but his defense has been pretty miserable this year, and he'll be 34 next year (I know Ichiro will be too), so I'm not ready to give him a long term contract because he seems to be declining already.

Throw in Guch, but let us keep Gooch. Iguchi is a vacuum cleaner at Second with his glove, I respectfully disagree with shipping him out.

For some reason people also fail to realize that he's been the 2nd best 2B, in baseball, in nearly every offensive statistic for the last couple of years, behind only Utley. Iguchi may not get a lot of attention, but he is very valuable to this ball club.

thomas35forever
05-28-2007, 10:15 PM
If we sign Ichiro, I think you can kiss Dye good-bye. And I have no problem with that. He's been great for us, our World Series MVP, but his defense has been pretty miserable this year, and he'll be 34 next year (I know Ichiro will be too), so I'm not ready to give him a long term contract because he seems to be declining already.
That's how I see it. If Dye goes, Ichiro comes to the South Side.

Lukin13
05-28-2007, 10:58 PM

If it is that simple...... please, pretty please give me Ichiro!

Dye has been invaluable to the Sox over the past three years, but I'd hate to say it but there are other Jermaine Dye's. There is and has never been another Ichiro.

Both are likely to have a decent slide in production in the short future, but Ichiro is a once in a lifetime 5 tool talent.

Forget his defense; there are only a half a dozen teams in baseball that have a perfect leadoff hitter... that alone makes him more valuable.

I also believe that Ichiro could put up power numbers if he so wished.

While Dye has to make Thome and Konerko a little more dangerous in the middle of the lineup, Ichiro will make the entire outfield better defensively, lower pitch counts/era and will make anyone batting after him more effective with his higher OBP from the leadoff position.

He is a sick talent, even in his twighlight years.... I just hope that his off the field revenue generating value won't lead to a price tag that outweights his onfield ability.

Gregory Pratt
05-28-2007, 11:18 PM
I agree. While Pods seems like a nice guy and all, he's not reliable in the health dept. I'm pretty sure Kenny & Co. are looking for a new lead-off man for the next year and the future.

Iguchi already makes up pretty popular in Japan.

Do you have any examples of this? Links? I've heard this on the streets and sites but never seen it in the papers.

I don't disbelieve it but it be nice to see.

re: bold -- that's an understatement! He's not a healthy fellow and he takes too many called strike threes.

oeo
05-28-2007, 11:20 PM

No, it's the other way around. If Ichiro comes, bye-bye Mr. Dye. If not, I still don't know if we sign Dye or not.

thomas35forever
05-29-2007, 12:33 AM
No, it's the other way around. If Ichiro comes, bye-bye Mr. Dye. If not, I still don't know if we sign Dye or not.
So you're saying Dye won't file for FA before we sign Ichiro?

oeo
05-29-2007, 12:36 AM
So you're saying Dye won't file for FA before we sign Ichiro?

No. If we sign Ichiro, then we definitely will not sign Dye.

What you said sounded as if, if we let Dye go, we would sign Ichiro.

Zisk77
05-30-2007, 10:02 AM
The Mariners' fan base wants to win... when they were completely out of the playoff race a couple years ago for the first time in a while I remember some stories about how depressed the fans were because they'd grown accustomed to good baseball during the Griffey, A-Rod, Big Unit, Edgar Martinez, Jay Buhner days....

They really haven't done a whole lot of winning (besides the 116 win season) since Ichiro arrived (not that it's his fault).... but if a trade fetches them the talent and pitching that can make them a winner again fast they will bite...

No, thats all the rain, grunge music, and piercings that has the Emerald city depressed. :tongue: