PDA

View Full Version : Pablo broken leg, ligament tear

getonbckthr
05-27-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm saying at least 12 month recovery. Poor Pabs this sucks.:(: :whiner: :mad: :o:

Boondock Saint
05-27-2007, 03:06 PM
This sucks. Hard.

getonbckthr
05-27-2007, 03:07 PM
****ing Rob looks hurt as well what the hell.

Viva Medias B's
05-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Paging Jerry Owens. Paging Jerry Owens. Please meet your party at U.S. Cellular Field.

eastchicagosoxfan
05-27-2007, 03:11 PM
This will be an opportunity for some of the young guys to make an impact. No use crying over spilled milk.

jongarlandlover
05-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Well, this sucks.

veeter
05-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Paging Jerry Owens. Paging Jerry Owens. Please meet your party at U.S. Cellular Field.I hope you're right. Cintron is going to play a lot now.

Rowandws33
05-27-2007, 03:19 PM
i say owens is coming up as well.

Mohoney
05-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Maybe we should bring Fields up? This way we're getting some extra insurance at 3B as well.

Terrible luck with injuries this year.

Scottiehaswheels
05-27-2007, 03:23 PM
I also wouldn't be surprised if rumors pop up that we're looking at a guy like Ryan Freel of Cincy...

Jurr
05-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 months to heal that injury. Not as bad as you would think!

tebman
05-27-2007, 03:31 PM
Anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 months to heal that injury. Not as bad as you would think!
Bad enough, though. Man, this is not good.

Maybe the Law of Averages is catching up with us for the healthy run the Sox have had the last few years.

What's the over/under on KW making deals anytime soon?

SoxxoS
05-27-2007, 03:32 PM
I think with Crede's back issues - I think Fields might be the right guy. He has his average up to .285 after hitting about .175 for a month.

Plus, Fields might be able to play OF in a pinch.

KyWhiSoxFan
05-27-2007, 03:34 PM
I would like to see them bring up Fields so we have a good backup to Crede at third. Sorry to see Pablo injured.

Boondock Saint
05-27-2007, 03:40 PM
What's the over/under on KW making deals anytime soon?
Not sure, but I'm betting the under. It's not panic time, we're still well in the race after a rough start. We're picking it up, and making a deal isn't going to help us all that much.

cbotnyse
05-27-2007, 04:04 PM
That looked painful.

UserNameBlank
05-27-2007, 04:06 PM
I think with Crede's back issues - I think Fields might be the right guy. He has his average up to .285 after hitting about .175 for a month.

I think there is a better chance Fields is our starting 3B next year than Crede signs a reasonable extension, back problems and career numbers considered.

IMO, there is no reason to bring up Josh right now and have him worry about his defense at two positions, especially when he's on a nice streak right now and is regaining form. The Sox should leave Josh alone and actually go out and get an everyday player.

UserNameBlank
05-27-2007, 04:12 PM
Not sure, but I'm betting the under. It's not panic time, we're still well in the race after a rough start. We're picking it up, and making a deal isn't going to help us all that much.
Pods is missing at least half the year. Half of our makeshift platoon is gone. How is it that plugging a hole with an everyday will not help us much?

The fact that the Sox haven't hit and are still in it is a blessing, not an excuse for the Sox to sit on their hands.

Come on Kenny, go out and get someone.

beckett21
05-27-2007, 04:47 PM

I didn't see the play. Just going on what little I know about the injury, I'd say 6 weeks is a bit ambitious. That would be the absolute best-case scenario. I would bet more like 8-12 weeks if everything goes without a hitch, hopefully bringing him back around early September.

We should have a better idea in the next few days.

Frontman
05-27-2007, 05:06 PM
First off, speedy recovery and well wishes to Pablo.

Depending on the nature of the break, he could see play this season, but I would doubt it. If the fracture is clean through the bone, they probably would have to insert a pin or a screw to hold the bone in place.

Now, I thought Mack looked hurt on Wednesday, and his nursing that one leg. After today, I'm convinced he is, considering how Ozzie came out to check on him.

With Pods not ready to go, it might be Sweeny brought back, it might be Fields; or it could be Owens.

But considering that the following all needed time on DL or at least a few days leave, our luck with injuries I believe has ran out.

Paulie
Cintron
Thome
Crede
Hall
Pods
Ozuna

We're not in good shape.

DickAllen72
05-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Paging Jerry Owens. Paging Jerry Owens. Please meet your party at U.S. Cellular Field.
Losing Ozuna is huge. Kw needs to fill that roster spot with somone of major league quality, and quickly.

Since they've been playing without a real major league LFer all season, I suggest Kenny do whatever he can to get a difference maker in here real quick. Either an above average major league left fielder, or if Baltimore is still interested in getting rid of Tejada get him and put him at 2B.

Something major must be done or this is going to slip away.

DickAllen72
05-27-2007, 05:32 PM

If the Sox believe Fields is ready to play in the majors (I don't, but they know more than I do), they should trade Crede for a real LFer and start Fields at 3B. I don't see that happening though.

kittle42
05-27-2007, 05:33 PM

You've got that right.

Unfortunately, I predict another summer of Kenny "I like what we have here already" Williams.

champagne030
05-27-2007, 05:34 PM
Losing Ozuna is huge. Kw needs to fill that roster spot with somone of major league quality, and quickly.

Since they've been playing without a real major league LFer all season, I suggest Kenny do whatever he can to get a difference maker in here real quick. Either an above average major league left fielder, or if Baltimore is still interested in getting rid of Tejada get him and put him at 2B.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:si_a_z6YJztycM:http://metallinut0.tripod.com/RedPics/ken_griffey_jr.jpeg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://metallinut0.tripod.com/RedPics/ken_griffey_jr.jpeg&imgrefurl=http://pittsburghsportsguys.com/2007_01_01_archive.html&h=400&w=494&sz=45&hl=en&start=8&tbnid=si_a_z6YJztycM:&tbnh=105&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgriffey%2Bjr%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10%2 6hl%3Den)

I have a place to play now, Hawk.

ilsox7
05-27-2007, 05:35 PM
You've got that right.

Unfortunately, I predict another summer of Kenny "I like what we have here already" Williams.

I disagree. KW has already made it clear that he expects more from this team ASAP. I really think we'll see a move or two, but probably within the organization. My guess is there is very little going on with the "trade market" right now.

TheVulture
05-27-2007, 05:35 PM
First off, :whiner:.

How does Tejada at 2b address the loss of a key utility player and lack of a good LFer?

DickAllen72
05-27-2007, 05:39 PM
First off, :whiner:.

How does Tejada at 2b address the loss of a key utility player and lack of a good LFer?
It gives the Sox another quality bat in the lineup which theyve been lacking, and it gives them another guy that can also play SS. Uribe can also play 3B and 2B so it totally replaces Ozuna as the backup IF.

It doesn't address the lack of a LFer, but you can get away with a Terrero/Mackowiak platoon easier with a Tejada in the lineup. Iguchi can get his AB's as a RH bat off the bench, RH DH, and spot starter at 2B.

Not that any of this is likely to happen, just answering your question.

DickAllen72
05-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Just want to add here, that Pablo has been one of my favorite Sox players in the past few years. :(:

Chez
05-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Listening on the post game show on the ride home from the game, Rongey thought it would be Andy Gonzalez taking Ozuna's spot. I would call up Anderson (we need a right handed bat) and platoon him with Mac. I don't think Terrero is the answer.

UserNameBlank
05-27-2007, 06:19 PM
I want Griffey...

NOW!!!

DickAllen72
05-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Listening on the post game show on the ride home from the game, Rongey thought it would be Andy Gonzalez taking Ozuna's spot. I would call up Anderson (we need a right handed bat) and platoon him with Mac. I don't think Terrero is the answer.
At this point, I'd platoon Mack with Terrero in LF until we get a real major league LFer, hopefully sooner rather than later.

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-27-2007, 06:21 PM

But Fields really belongs playing every day. I'd hate to see what happened to Anderson happen to him.

champagne030
05-27-2007, 06:23 PM

You've forgotten than Ozzie has a serious hatred towards Anderson. Plus, according to many here, he's a total bust. :D:

UserNameBlank
05-27-2007, 06:24 PM
Terrero has done a nice job in his role so far, and the last thing the Sox need is to call up more worthwhile prospects and put them in platoon/bench roles.

The Sox need a major leaguer in LF, and if they don't want to get one then they might as well just start shipping people off and tank this season. I have a real hard time believing that some combination of Broadway/McCulloch/Haeger/Phillips/etc. can't get us a halfway decent offensive player to stick in LF. These guys aren't part of our future. KW needs to get something done, because Andy Gonzalez or Jerry Owens isn't going to mean a damn thing.

DickAllen72
05-27-2007, 06:26 PM
Terrero has done a nice job in his role so far, and the last thing the Sox need is to call up more worthwhile prospects and put them in platoon/bench roles.

The Sox need a major leaguer in LF, and if they don't want to get one then they might as well just start shipping people off and tank this season. I have a real hard time believing that some combination of Broadway/McCulloch/Haeger/Phillips/etc. can't get us a halfway decent offensive player to stick in LF. These guys aren't part of our future. KW needs to get something done, because Andy Gonzalez or Jerry Owens isn't going to mean a damn thing.
Yep.

Jerko
05-27-2007, 06:38 PM
The sad thing about the Pablo injury is that I think it happened when he rounded first. Pablo, get well soon!!!!!!

Chez
05-27-2007, 06:38 PM
They're getting a major league LF back shortly. Pods said this morning that he'll be ready to play in two weeks. We'll see.

DickAllen72
05-27-2007, 06:40 PM
They're getting a major league LF back shortly. Pods said this morning that he'll be ready to play in two weeks. We'll see.
Will he be healthy enough to not get thrown out stealing by Victor Martinez?

UserNameBlank
05-27-2007, 06:45 PM
I can't imagine anyone in the organzation actually counting on that.

If the Sox aren't done with Pods by now, shame on them.

DSpivack
05-27-2007, 06:59 PM
I can't imagine anyone in the organzation actually counting on that.

If the Sox aren't done with Pods by now, shame on them.

I thought I had read earlier that he wouldn't be back until the All-Star break, so I'd seriously doubt that.

Brian26
05-27-2007, 07:09 PM
The sad thing about the Pablo injury is that I think it happened when he rounded first. Pablo, get well soon!!!!!!

I'm not sure what they showed on tv, but seeing that play happen live, it was one of the ugliest doubles you'll ever see. As he rounded first, Pablo was flailing his arms around trying to stop because he took too wide of a turn. He couldn't put on the brakes, so he just kept running. Then the slide into second looked awful.

FedEx227
05-27-2007, 07:16 PM

No... major league LF. Not "slap hitter that relies entirely on speed which he no longer has".

balke
05-27-2007, 08:01 PM
No... major league LF. Not "slap hitter that relies entirely on speed which he no longer has".

Pods will steal more bases than anyone on this team this season even if he comes back in September. He'll also add slap hits that the Sox don't have. What do you want another solo shot artist in the outfield? That's the last thing this team needs.

russ99
05-27-2007, 08:05 PM
I'm not sure what they showed on tv, but seeing that play happen live, it was one of the ugliest doubles you'll ever see. As he rounded first, Pablo was flailing his arms around trying to stop because he took too wide of a turn. He couldn't put on the brakes, so he just kept running. Then the slide into second looked awful.

They didn't show him rounding first on the scoreboard, so that might have not made it on TV. Good thing that, too, cause from the stands that injury looked nasty! As he was rounding the base, Pablo went in one direction and his leg went in another. I'm really not surprised at the extent of his injury as I thought he blew out his knee.

I hope Pods gets well soon, we need another speed guy. Maybe Pablo will be back in September, but probably not. :(:

BoysMom3
05-27-2007, 08:16 PM
That sounds awful - best wishes to him on his recovery. My DH thinks it will take 6-8 weeks, and that's just to heal, not including rehab.

UserNameBlank
05-27-2007, 09:09 PM
Pods will steal more bases than anyone on this team this season even if he comes back in September. He'll also add slap hits that the Sox don't have. What do you want another solo shot artist in the outfield? That's the last thing this team needs.
Yeah, we sure couldn't use another productive player who drives in runs.

thomas35forever
05-27-2007, 09:32 PM
That's what Hawk was saying. He thought the slide into second is what caused the injury. Rounding first base was bad, but the position he was in when he slid into second was worse. That said, we officially have no speed on this team.

FedEx227
05-27-2007, 09:39 PM
That's what Hawk was saying. He thought the slide into second is what caused the injury. Rounding first base was bad, but the position he was in when he slid into second was worse. That said, we officially have no speed on this team.

When Mackowiak, Erstad and Luis Terrero are your fastest players, that's a problem.

credefan24
05-27-2007, 09:50 PM
Why not recall Sweeney? Or does the club want him to get more experience down at AAA? Just wondering.

JB98
05-27-2007, 09:57 PM
I'm saddened to hear of the severity of Pablo's injury. I was at the game, and it looked bad. I thought he had dislocated his ankle at first, but then when he walked off the field under his own power, I had hopes it wasn't so serious. Well, it is pretty serious, and we will miss Pablo's speed, energy and versatility. I think we need to go outside the organization and get an outfielder now. God forbid anything happens to Erstad or Dye. Like others, I believe Mack is less than 100 percent right now.These injuries have left us frighteningly thin.

JB98
05-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Why not recall Sweeney? Or does the club want him to get more experience down at AAA? Just wondering.

If they are going to continue to carry 12 pitchers, they need a guy who can play infield, as well as outfield. If you call up Sweeney, BA or Owens, then Cintron is the only backup infielder. I don't want to see Mack at 2B or 3B. I don't think they can afford to carry just one backup infielder with Crede's situation being as tenuous as it is. When Joe needs a day off, then Alex can play third. But then what if you have an injury or you want to pinch-hit? Then you have to put Mack in the infield. Not an ideal scenario.

jabrch
05-27-2007, 11:56 PM
Best of luck to Pablo - I hope you have a speedy recovery.

That leaves a huge hole in the roster now. I'll be curious to see how KW is able to fill it. Inside? Outside? Someone who already had a shot? (BA, Sweeney, etc.) or someone who hasn't yet had a chance? (Fields, Owens, etc.)

Frontman
05-28-2007, 12:00 AM
Sox website has Ozzie saying 3 to 4 months until he gets back, AKA "next season."

Man, the Sox are in trouble. Without Pods of 05, without Ozuna, we have no base stealing speed. Oh sure, Iguchi, Erstad, and Mack can steal a bag here and there (hell, Konerko got one off of Maddux last year) but there is no base stealing threat on this team now.

JB98
05-28-2007, 12:41 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070527soxbits,1,786745.story?coll=cs-home-headlinesAndy Gonzalez might be getting the nod, according to the Cubune. As I posted earlier, I think they need another guy who can play the infield positions.

Thome25
05-28-2007, 01:00 AM
We signed Wilson to a minor league deal and it's probable that they'll try to plug him into the hole that Ozuna's injury left.

The last thing we need is to trade (or in this case sign.) another worthless veteran.

We have some OF talent in the minors in Sweeney, Owens, Anderson, and even Fields.

Why not call up Sweeney and give him some significant playing time rather than acquire another worthless veteran? (we had enough piece of crap veterans for Ozzie to tinker with in Cintron, Mackowiak, and Ozuna before he got injured.)

If we're going to acquire anyone significant I'd like it to be some bullpen help. The bullpen is our weakness right now NOT the OF.

WhiteSox5187
05-28-2007, 01:38 AM
We need someone with speed so I'm thinking from inside the organization we're going to be looking at a guy like Owens or Sweeney...from outside the organization it's anyone's guess. But we're sorta in trouble here. Pablo is done and Mack certainly looks like he's hurting.

DickAllen72
05-28-2007, 11:16 AM
We need someone with speed so I'm thinking from inside the organization we're going to be looking at a guy like Owens or Sweeney...from outside the organization it's anyone's guess. But we're sorta in trouble here. Pablo is done and Mack certainly looks like he's hurting.
Man, I wish Paulo Orlando was ready!

roadrunner
05-28-2007, 11:50 AM

You're jonesing for some "slap hits"?

lol

downstairs
05-28-2007, 02:23 PM
I also wouldn't be surprised if rumors pop up that we're looking at a guy like Ryan Freel of Cincy...

Well, there go those rumors...

Scottiehaswheels
05-28-2007, 02:29 PM
Well, there go those rumors...Ha no doubt... In flames....

Lip Man 1
05-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Tebman:

This comment started me thinking:

"Maybe the Law of Averages is catching up with us for the healthy run the Sox have had the last few years."

I guess it depends on your definition of 'last few years.'

Consider just the past seven seasons, 2001 through 2007.

The 2001 season was gutted due to numerous injuries that wrecked in particular the pitching staff. Among those going down or coming off injuries suffered in 2000 and were ineffective were Jim Parque, Bob Howry, Kelly Wunsch, David Wells and James Baldwin. The Sox tried to rebuild the bullpen by picking up rejects like Bill Pulsipher and Alan Embree to no avail.

The 2004 season was ruined with the season ending injuries to Frank Thomas and Magglio Ordonez.

Now in 2007 already Toby Hall, Pablo Ozuna and Scott Podsednik have or will miss significant playing time. Jim Thome was out for two and a half weeks, Joe Crede's back is acting up again.

That's potentially three of the last seven seasons ruined by injury. 43%.

I don't know how that compares to other MLB clubs but when almost half of your recent seasons have been ended by injuries that seems pretty high.

Oh by the way, notice a pattern here? 2001...2004...2007...

If I were Kenny I'd stock up on guys before the 2010 season starts....he'll probably need them!

Lip

Brian26
05-29-2007, 11:07 PM
The 2001 season was gutted due to numerous injuries that wrecked in particular the pitching staff. Among those going down or coming off injuries suffered in 2000 and were ineffective were Jim Parque, Bob Howry, Kelly Wunsch, David Wells and James Baldwin. The Sox tried to rebuild the bullpen by picking up rejects like Bill Pulsipher and Alan Embree to no avail.

Don't forget Big Frank's shoulder injury playing first base early in the year, prompting KW to go out and get Jose Canseco to finish the season as our DH.

TDog
05-29-2007, 11:27 PM
Consider just the past seven seasons, 2001 through 2007.

The 2000 season was marked by injuries to pitchers, particularly starters. The starter who seemed the healthiest at season's end was Sirotka, and he couldn't pitch after he was traded. That was easier to understand, though.

The worst injury season I remember was 1973, when the Sox were cruising and pulling ahead of the A's when Carlos May went down. Then Dick Allen went down and everyone seemed to go down. But this season has been full of nagging injuries and family illnesses. I don't think the injuries have any sort of connection.

minastirith67
05-29-2007, 11:31 PM
Oh by the way, notice a pattern here? 2001...2004...2007...

If I were Kenny I'd stock up on guys before the 2010 season starts....he'll probably need them!

Lip

No offense, but that's some ****ed up logic you have there.

:kukoo:

Are you a conspiracy theorist?

:wink:

Lip Man 1
05-30-2007, 12:42 PM
I thought you'd see the sarcasm. Should have been in teal, my bad.

Lip