PDA

View Full Version : My Thoughts on Today's Softball Game + Open Messages

Gregory Pratt
05-26-2007, 08:48 PM
Hi guys. It was a very good game. Very fun. Especially for me!
SoxTalk, of course, won, 24-12.

I am Greg Pratt. I am the third hitter for SoxTalk. I was in the outfield (I was not the very busy left fielder, however); I was the terrible pitcher; I was the younger shortstop.

I was wearing the plaid pants and purple shirt. Hot.

I've posted something similar to this on SoxTalk but will be editing it a bit for you guys.

Some notes and recaps from my SoxTalk recollection:

If we had a highlight reel and a lowlight reel, I'd have been prominent on both. First: a baserunning gaffe. I took one to center field and Kap was at first. I thought he'd kept going to third and ran to second. We were both out; me running back to first and he at second. On the same play I ran into their first baseman and kind of armed-him in the chest. That was an accident. Sorry buddy!

The other lowlight: I started the third inning for us as NSS and I agreed to alternate every two innings. I walked two hitters, gave up a three run shot, and gave the ball back to Matt. That wasn't meant to be. I hate pitching a softball.

My highlights, for me, might've been lowlights in some of your players' view because I AJ Pierzynski'd much of the game, and like with AJ, "You either love me or hate me depending on whether or not I'm on your team." :P I've been compared to AJ on every team sport I've ever been on and I love it. I was loud to pump up my teammates and myself, as well as entertain the crowd which was essentially all the WSI Wives and GFs.

I had a playful, teasing series of arguments with the umpire, DumpJerry from WSI. Gave him dirty looks after each ball thrown to me. Called him out as a bad umpire. (He wasn't really.) (He was cool. Good sense of humor.) (He told me to bite him, with his shirt, and I told him that I'll bite him for every good call he makes, if he's into that sort of things and might consider it a reward.)

I teased your pitcher for looking like Mayor Daley. When I saw him at the train station, as we were all leaving, I said to him, "Pleasure hitting off of you." It was! But I didn't mean that disrespectfully, Mr,. Pitcher, whoever you were. You seemed like a good guy, and you were teasing me too about how I couldn't throw strikes, so it's all in good competitive fun.

Now, for fun and shenanigans (and, I suppose, to show you guys up :P) I did such things as, oh, catch a liner for the final out of an inning and then spike the softball as I ran back to the "dugout." When I was scoring runs, I'd moonwalk into home or, in my favorite incident, do a Barrel Roll into homeplate.

Hey, I'm a showman.

As far as hitting, I had a hustle double, and I batted third. I had a bunch of hard hit singles. I hit two of the hardest hit balls all day long but they were both just very, very long fouls. The other guys started calling me a pull hitter. I'm not. Not with baseball, anyway, but I suppose I was pulling everything in softball (you really should though, if you've got power, which I do) but in my last two at-bats I singled into centerfield just because.

I must confess, though, I was playing with a chip on my shoulder. I was a little irritated by the fact that so many WSI guys showed up (about sixteen) when we only had five. That bothered me because it looks bad for us. Your pitcher pitcher kept somewhat jokingly asking, before the game, Where's SoxTalk? Where's your team? and I know he didn't mean it offensively but I took slight offense. Then there's the fact that I take offense at the mere presence of opposing teams, no matter what the situation, simply because I expect to win and play everything to win, and them being there = obstacle to us winning that we have to beat.

I love competing.

And I guess I was a little eager to win the game because I've always felt that WSI gets more attention than SoxTalk while both are very good sites with very good people. (I'm a member of both, but I don't come here too often as I call SoxTalk home.)

I mean, I like this place though, don't get me wrong.

In summary, to the WSI guys:

1) In baseball, I'm no pull hitter per se. I think I showed that I'm not completely in softball, either. I had fun hitting to center and left. See, I play baseball. HS baseball and occasional pick-me-ups. I'm not really used to hitting a softball so all I tried to do was pull. I hit one that was VERY homerun deep but foul, and I kept lining into left field. You guys kept calling me a pull hitter and shifting so for that I took the last two into CF.

2) I hope you didn't take offense to anything I said. I was having a ton of fun. I think you guys were, too. I know for a fact some of you were amused, as you should've been. It was fun, and funny.

3) Pitcher, don't be offended by the teasing. I wasn't and I assume we were both going at one another in good humor. (PS: I really liked your attempts to get me to ground out softly by throwing me a softball that doesn't reach the plate. It didn't work, as I took every ball you pitched for a ball, but it was a very good effort and you're a good, crafty pitcher.)

4) Tell your wives/GFs I'm not a jerk, plz. They were people I was trying to entertain, too.

What can I say? I like playing with enthusiasm and effort.
Great time.
Great game.

We really need to do it in August, and I hope that some of you keep in touch with me, particularly you, Umpire!

cbotnyse
05-26-2007, 08:57 PM
^ He was pumped. Good enthusiasm on this kid.

Gregory Pratt
05-26-2007, 09:10 PM

Thanks guy. Who were you?

cbotnyse
05-26-2007, 09:25 PM
Thanks guy. Who were you?SS, and the guy who didn't run out his weak hits. :whistle:

Brian26
05-26-2007, 09:27 PM

I bet he had eye black and metal spikes.

Gregory Pratt
05-26-2007, 10:14 PM
I will wear eye-black next time. I've just never enjoyed it. Don't own any. But for HS games, we'd do it and I've no problem with it.

No metal spikes, though. I don't like 'em. I did have spikes!

By the way, I would like to announce that I am willing to play for WSI -- I am, after all, a member of both sites -- for a price.

In return, I promise to Roger Clemens/AJ Pierzynski us.

You should see the winning percentage on the teams I've played for in my life in every field I've ever been in.

But seriously, I had a fantastic time.

SS, and they guy who didn't run out his weak hits.

You should, always. Fielding errors happen all the time.
Just not to me.

I also had a word of encouragement to say to whoever played CF: when the ball gets past you, don't feel bad for yourself. When Kap, our two hitter, hit one to you, it got past and you crouched and held your head and got down on yourself and you didn't turn to get it. you've got to, mate, because you'll wind up hurting yourself and your game if you get down on yourself.

Just friendly advice. I hate to see anyone languish or beat themselves up.

itsnotrequired
05-26-2007, 10:42 PM
I also had a word of encouragement to say to whoever played CF: when the ball gets past you, don't feel bad for yourself. When Kap, our two hitter, hit one to you, it got past and you crouched and held your head and got down on yourself and you didn't turn to get it. you've got to, mate, because you'll wind up hurting yourself and your game if you get down on yourself.

Just friendly advice. I hate to see anyone languish or beat themselves up.

Chips played centerfield. He is a known jag and laffabout. His mom told us as much this evening. I wouldn't sweat it.

DumpJerry
05-26-2007, 10:51 PM
I thought you did a pretty good impersonation of Andrew Sisco.:wink:

It was good meeting and everyone else I have not met before. I enjoyed calling the game (to the extent I was needed, nobody stuck out and there only two or three close plays at First).

When I got the call to ump, I knew my "Bite Me" shirt from Joe's Crab Shack would be a perfect tool to keep everyone in good humor.

itsnotrequired
05-26-2007, 10:55 PM
I thought you did a pretty good impersonation of Andrew Sisco.:wink:

It was good meeting and everyone else I have not met before. I enjoyed calling the game (to the extent I was needed, nobody stuck out and there only two or three close plays at First).

When I got the call to ump, I knew my "Bite Me" shirt from Joe's Crab Shack would be a perfect tool to keep everyone in good humor.

Don't forget Chips calling you from centerfield while the game was in progress.:D:

Gregory Pratt
05-26-2007, 10:57 PM
I was Andrew Sisco on the mound but I hammered the ball at the plate!

Don't forget Chips calling you from centerfield while the game was in progress.

I was there when that happened. That was weird.

By the way, DumpJerry: you yelled out something to someone about his sister. What was that all about? How do you know her sister? :?: :D:

DumpJerry
05-26-2007, 10:59 PM
Don't forget Chips calling you from centerfield while the game was in progress.:D:

Chips called my cell from CF sveral times and from First after he somehow managed to get on base.

By the way, DumpJerry: you yelled out something to someone about his sister. What was that all about? How do you know her sister? :?: :D:
I see you don't know Chippy very well...........:rolleyes:

Gregory Pratt
05-26-2007, 11:02 PM
No, I don't. But I'd like to know the dirt on his sister. :P
Just seems like a really weird but funny inside joke that I want to be in on.

I liked the dude with the cool tattoos the best, personally. He was cool. Devil Ray guy was interesting (I believe that was Chips). And the guy with the funny laugh that I was cracking jokes with about gold gloves and silver sluggers before the game while we were taking a little fielding practice.

DaveIsHere
05-26-2007, 11:03 PM
I am throwing myself in for next game. We Will win. Greg is Going Down.

PS> Please remind me that I will be playing at the next game:D:

Come on, I hit HR's in HS Baseball I rock.

itsnotrequired
05-26-2007, 11:04 PM
No, I don't. But I'd like to know the dirt on his sister. :P
Just seems like a really weird but funny inside joke that I want to be in on.

I liked the dude with the cool tattoos the best, personally. He was cool. Devil Ray guy was interesting (I believe that was Chips). And the guy with the funny laugh that I was cracking jokes with about gold gloves and silver sluggers before the game while we were taking a little fielding practice.

My tattoos got me through dental school*.

* Disclaimer: Story may be fabricated.

Gregory Pratt
05-26-2007, 11:06 PM
I am throwing myself in for next game. We Will win. Greg is Going Down.

PS> Please remind me that I will be playing at the next game:D:

Come on, I hit HR's in HS Baseball I rock.

SoxTalk will build a team with me as the centerpiece for years to come and because I'm young and not even at my peak yet that means bad news for you! Bwahaha.

I really hope we do this again in the summer. We DEFINITELY have to do it next year. Definitely.

Gregory Pratt
05-26-2007, 11:07 PM
My tattoos got me through dental school*.

* Disclaimer: Story may be fabricated.

Ah, that was you. You have a devilish laugh. An impish laugh. A devilish imp's laugh.

itsnotrequired
05-26-2007, 11:07 PM
SoxTalk will build a team with me as the centerpiece for years to come and because I'm young and not even at my peak yet that means bad news for you! Bwahaha.

I really hope we do this again in the summer. We DEFINITELY have to do it next year. Definitely.

Unblyveny bread or whoever the hell he is will bring Bigfoot and rule the day.

Gregory Pratt
05-26-2007, 11:13 PM
He's going to bring the real Andy Sisco?
You poor souls. He can't even get a baseball over and he's been playing baseball all his life.

:D

DumpJerry
05-26-2007, 11:16 PM
Gregory:
:tealtutor:

whitesoxwilkes
05-26-2007, 11:40 PM
Thanks for coming out, Gregory. Great time was had by all.

Wilkes (the hard swinging first baseman with the MLB cock of the walk and the AA fielding skills)

Daver
05-26-2007, 11:59 PM
You're all still fired.

whitesoxwilkes
05-26-2007, 11:59 PM
You're all still fired.

Thanx Boss.

Get a haircut.

:redneck

Daver
05-27-2007, 12:02 AM
Thanx Boss.

Get a haircut.

A what?

itsnotrequired
05-27-2007, 12:02 AM
Thanx Boss.

Get a haircut.

I cut my hair last Saturday.

Unblyleven Bread
05-27-2007, 12:06 AM
Unblyveny bread or whoever the hell he is will bring Bigfoot and rule the day.

I'd love to be a part of the next softball game or exhibition. I was too late to join this one. The only question is if you guys are okay with a switch hitter with power, speed and a rocket arm.

itsnotrequired
05-27-2007, 12:11 AM
I'd love to be a part of the next softball game or exhibition. I was too late to join this one. The only question is if you guys are okay with a switch hitter with power, speed and a rocket arm.

Sounds like your skills are just what we need to get Daver off our backs.

DumpJerry
05-27-2007, 12:26 AM
Sorry, you would not fit in. You'd be the red-headed stepchild.

Can you catch a fly ball? That would be a rare skill on this team.........:redneck

Gregory Pratt
05-27-2007, 01:23 AM
Thanks for coming out, Gregory. Great time was had by all.

Wilkes (the hard swinging first baseman with the MLB cock of the walk and the AA fielding skills)

Sorry I popped you.

Great time!

I cut my hair last Saturday.

I actually cut my hair for the game and for a video I have to make soon

Jerko
05-27-2007, 10:08 AM
I think I saw Gregory Pratt after the game. He challenged an old lady to a race across Shields street, and he knocked her ass over walker into the bike lane. Won by about 50 feet and posted about it for the next 5 hours on "oldladyracing.com" after his great victory.

Gregory Pratt
05-27-2007, 10:48 AM
I think I saw Gregory Pratt after the game. He challenged an old lady to a race across Shields street, and he knocked her ass over walker into the bike lane. Won by about 50 feet and posted about it for the next 5 hours on "oldladyracing.com" after his great victory.

I can't believe you just compared WSI softball to "old lady racing." :P

Better you say it than me.

Chips
05-27-2007, 11:12 AM
Chips played centerfield. He is a known jag and laffabout. His mom told us as much this evening. I wouldn't sweat it.

I take nothing seriously except for ironing and banking.

Chips
05-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Chips called my cell from CF sveral times and from First after he somehow managed to get on base.

I see you don't know Chippy very well...........:rolleyes:

I was on base 50% of my at bats, book it.

And Dump is the worst ump in the history of mankind. We should have lost that game by more than we did.

He should retire and open up a bar at the center of the Earth.

skobabe8
05-27-2007, 07:25 PM
Sorry I popped you.

Great time!

Dude, I think that was me that you popped. I was the one that tagged you out when you were heading back to first in that rundown, even though I played 3b.

If it wasnt you, it was someone else that gave me a bloody lip.

DumpJerry
05-27-2007, 07:34 PM
I was on base 50% of my at bats, book it.

And Dump is the worst ump in the history of mankind. We should have lost that game by more than we did.

He should retire and open up a bar at the center of the Earth.
It'll be called Dumpbo's and I"ll charge you $6.00 for a 12oz can of Bud.

whitesoxwilkes
05-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Sorry I popped you.

Great time!

As mentioned, you popped Skobabe and not me.

Gregory Pratt
05-27-2007, 09:50 PM
Dude, I think that was me that you popped. I was the one that tagged you out when you were heading back to first in that rundown, even though I played 3b.

If it wasnt you, it was someone else that gave me a bloody lip.

Well, what can I say? All WSI screennames look alike, and I don't know which of you are which.

I gave you a bloody lip? I'm sorry. I thought I'd caught you in the chest. Like I said, it wasn't trying to do that. I mean, I wasn't trying to get out of your way -- never do I yield an out to the defense -- but I wasn't trying to elbow your face or elbow you period. When I saw we were going to collide I put my arm up and you know what happened.

No hard feelings. Just had lips.

NorthSideSox72
05-28-2007, 08:04 PM
Hey, thanks to all you WSI folks for the game. I (Matt, the Soxtalk pitcher with the Gload shirt) had a blast. I look forward to playing again sometime!

jenn2080
05-28-2007, 08:41 PM
Hey, thanks to all you WSI folks for the game. I (Matt, the Soxtalk pitcher with the Gload shirt) had a blast. I look forward to playing again sometime!

:bandance: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :bandance:

FielderJones
05-29-2007, 02:20 PM
SoxTalk will build a team with me as the centerpiece for years to come and because I'm young and not even at my peak yet that means bad news for you!

Build what team? Maybe you guys should see if you can get 9-10 members of your site to actually show up and not have to drag Armour Square neighborhood ringers into your lineup. :tongue:

Gregory Pratt
05-29-2007, 06:12 PM
Build what team? Maybe you guys should see if you can get 9-10 members of your site to actually show up and not have to drag Armour Square neighborhood ringers into your lineup. :tongue:

I'd find that funny if it were in teal.

Thanks for the bulletin board material for the next one, whether it's in August or next May.