PDA

View Full Version : Sox have played least of any team

Fenway
05-26-2007, 06:33 PM
With the rainout the White Sox now have played the least amount of games in MLB with 44. Since they now seem to be hitting better does this bode well for the future?

HotelWhiteSox
05-26-2007, 06:37 PM
I hate giving up another late off day, seems like we've had so many this year too

Kuzman
05-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Why not a day night double header tomorrow, since this is the only time Tampa will be in town? Is there some kind of rule against that since they're getting more and more dates scheduled for the future?

Hitmen77
05-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Why not a day night double header tomorrow, since this is the only time Tampa will be in town? Is there some kind of rule against that since they're getting more and more dates scheduled for the future?

I don't get it either. TB does have another series with us here in late August, but I though the default for a rainout was to reschedule a DH the next day. Why stack up even more games in late August?

Also, is it supposed to rain all evening? I didn't think it was. I'm surprised they didn't try to get this one in.

I'm assuming that the D-Rays will certainly skip starters to have Kazmir still going tomorrow. Too bad.

oeo
05-26-2007, 07:06 PM

The Sox game is in the afternoon on Monday; I'm glad they're not playing two tomorrow.

We'll have Contreras going against Santana now, which is a plus. Nothing against Danks, but I'd rather have the vet go against Santana.

Fenway
05-26-2007, 07:18 PM

If they played Sunday night there would be no TV. ESPN has Sunday exclusive only games at Texas exempt

eriqjaffe
05-26-2007, 07:32 PM
I'd rather have the American League All-Stars be White Sox for a day and go against Santana.Fixed that for you.

Given the way we hit Santana, it's more or less irrelevant who pitches for us. May as well let Coop go out and throw a few innings.

soxwon
05-26-2007, 07:36 PM
With the rainout the White Sox now have played the least amount of games in MLB with 44. Since they now seem to be hitting better does this bode well for the future?

i think its to our advantage, because we can win those games, whereas the division leader (unless we lead) just has to wait to see what we do.
If we lead- we can add to it.

TDog
05-26-2007, 07:53 PM
The Sox game is in the afternoon on Monday; I'm glad they're not playing two tomorrow. ....

That's a big reason why the Sox aren't playing a Sunday doubleheader. Only under extreme situations would the Sox would play a Sunday day-night doubleheader by adding a Sunday night game on a getaway day. When at least one of the teams has to travel to pay a day game the next day, it isn't going to happen.

Not playing games means not winning games. It also means not losing games, which helps. When you're behind in the loss column, you can't make up the games. When you're behind in the win column, you have a chance to catch up. But having to make up games can put stress on your pitching staff. The Sox have run out six successful starters this year, so I hope the stress of makeup games proves minimal.

MRM
05-26-2007, 07:57 PM
I don't get it either. TB does have another series with us here in late August, but I though the default for a rainout was to reschedule a DH the next day.

No. There is no "default". A DH never make sense from a financial standpoint.

Hitmen77
05-26-2007, 08:02 PM

The Sox only have 3 rainouts that haven't been made up. How does that compare to other teams?

Our MLB low amount of games may be as much the fault of a schedule full of early off days as it is the weather.

Hitmen77
05-26-2007, 08:03 PM
No. There is no "default". A DH never make sense from a financial standpoint.

Well, it used to be the default. I guess times have changed and that's why we don't see any regular double headers anymore.

MRM
05-26-2007, 08:20 PM
Well, it used to be the default. I guess times have changed and that's why we don't see any regular double headers anymore.

If I'm not mistaken it's up to the home team to determine a make up date depending on future off days of both teams. And playing a DH tomorrow would make zero sense from the Sox point of view as it's "getaway day" with a game in Minnesota on Monday (against Santana, no less). If they were home Monday, it would make more sense to play the DH tomorrow, though that is always going to be the last option from a revenue standpoint.

RowanDye
05-26-2007, 08:27 PM
I just don't understand how Cleveland, with all of its weather problems, has still managed to play 3 more games than us. It's ****ing ridiculous!

Vestigio
05-26-2007, 09:13 PM
I don't get it either. TB does have another series with us here in late August, but I though the default for a rainout was to reschedule a DH the next day. Why stack up even more games in late August?

Also, is it supposed to rain all evening? I didn't think it was. I'm surprised they didn't try to get this one in.

I'm assuming that the D-Rays will certainly skip starters to have Kazmir still going tomorrow. Too bad.

Can it be because the Sox have, counting tomorrow, at total of 18 straight games without a day off? I could see them scheduling a double-header if we had a day off during the early part of this upcoming week.

MRM
05-26-2007, 10:05 PM
I just don't understand how Cleveland, with all of its weather problems, has still managed to play 3 more games than us. It's ****ing ridiculous!

They used the early season off days to already make up 2 or 3 of those first week missed games.

MRM
05-26-2007, 10:08 PM
Can it be because the Sox have, counting tomorrow, at total of 18 straight games without a day off? I could see them scheduling a double-header if we had a day off during the early part of this upcoming week.

That, combined with having to fly to Minnesota tomorrow night to face Santana on Monday most certainly would make NOT playing a double header tomorrow a no brainer.

champagne030
05-26-2007, 10:14 PM
Fixed that for you.

Given the way we hit Santana, it's more or less irrelevant who pitches for us. May as well let Coop go out and throw a few innings.

Thanks Ozzie.

Part of the reason we suck against Santana is Ozzie's attitude. He already thinks we've lost, so he'll play for the next day.

Hitmen77
05-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Ok, thanks guys for the input on why a DH tomorrow wouldn't be the best option. I guess we'll just have to make it a 2 game series sweep tomorrow and then a DH sweep on 8/27.

Another benefit of games being postponed until the 2nd half of the season is that we'll be back at full strength by then and on a total roll.

Now, let's go out and score some runs against Kazmir and Santana. I don't want to hear about us tipping our caps to these guys.

EDIT: I guess that 8-27 date was previously an off day. I initially thought the Sox were having a day-night DH on that day now.

bahn1225
05-26-2007, 10:51 PM
That, combined with having to fly to Minnesota tomorrow night to face Santana on Monday most certainly would make NOT playing a double header tomorrow a no brainer.

1. That flight from Chicago to Minneapolis must be brutal.:rolleyes:
2. There was a time, not too long ago, when the "financial standpoint" wasn't the only standpoint.
Would it really be so bad to see two (2) games for the price of one (1)?
It's not like something crazy like reinstating ladies day.
3. No one can predict what things are going to be like August.
This is where the old saying of a bird in the hand is worth two in a bush comes to mind.
4. I think my wife and I earn the "farthest travelled for nothing".
Our round trip mileage is 450 miles.
There's no way we can attend the make up date, which falls on a Monday.:(:

DSpivack
05-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Thanks Ozzie.

Part of the reason we suck against Santana is Ozzie's attitude. He already thinks we've lost, so he'll play for the next day.

Gee, and I thought it was because Santana was among the best pitchers in the game.

TDog
05-27-2007, 12:17 AM
1. That flight from Chicago to Minneapolis must be brutal.:rolleyes:
2. There was a time, not too long ago, when the "financial standpoint" wasn't the only standpoint. ...

If there was such a time, it wasn't in my lifetime, and I'm 11 months older than Julio Franco.

In years past when there were scheduled doubleheaders, teams didn't make up rainouts with doubleheaders if the game could be scheduled on a common off day. That's why there were so many off days in April, when rainouts are most common. The later in the season a game was rained out, the better the chance there would be a doubleheader to make it up.

In 1972, the Sox had to make a special trip to Baltimore on an off day in the middle of an eight-game August homestand to make up a rainout at the beginning of May -- instead of making it up at during their return to Baltimore in July. (They went 6-2 on the homestand and won in Baltimore in front of a paid crowd of 655, so the August trip wasn't fatal.)

The Baltimore trip was on a Thursday, so it wouldn't have been ladies day at Wrigley Field, even if the Cubs were in town. I don't know if every Wednesday was still ladies day at Wrigley in 1972, but selling discounted tickets that would go unsold anyway isn't a great sacrifice for a team that runs its own concessions as the Cubs did in those days. I don't know if the White Sox still have half price Mondays and kids Sundays, but such things did survive into this millennium.

I haven't looked at the collective bargaining agreement lately, but I wouldn't be surprised if it required player approval for doubleheader or a night game before a day game in another city.

TDog
05-27-2007, 12:27 AM
Gee, and I thought it was because Santana was among the best pitchers in the game.

No. This is a misperception. Johan Santana's success can be attributed primarily to Ozzie Guillen's failure to read "The Little Engine That Could" while studying English as a second language.

downstairs
05-27-2007, 09:08 AM
A DH never make sense from a financial standpoint.

A day/night does- it is no different than two games?

A double header in which a person gets in with one ticket purchase is obviously bad business.

Of course there is the argument that less people will show up for game one of a day/night. I'm not sure that's true with popular teams- ones in which it is difficult to get tickets to any game.

gosiu
05-27-2007, 12:15 PM
If they played Sunday night there would be no TV. ESPN has Sunday exclusive only games at Texas exempt
This happened last year for a Marlins/Yankees game in June. They decided to have a day/night DH on Sunday. Originally the night game would have been radio-only, but ESPN agreed to broadcast the game locally (http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060625&content_id=1522803&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy) in New York and Florida.

This might mean that WGN didn't want to lose revenue for one game.

TDog
05-27-2007, 01:11 PM
This happened last year for a Marlins/Yankees game in June. They decided to have a day/night DH on Sunday. Originally the night game would have been radio-only, but ESPN agreed to broadcast the game locally (http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060625&content_id=1522803&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy) in New York and Florida.

This might mean that WGN didn't want to lose revenue for one game.

The Yankees' involvement probably had nothing to do with ESPN's decision.