PDA

View Full Version : Kiss o' Death: Foulke in a Tie Game

Procol Harum
07-31-2001, 10:22 PM
:keith

I'm a big backer and think the Sox should open the pocketbook to re-sign Foulke--but is it just me or is this not about the 3rd or 4th time this season that he's come into a tie game in the 9th or 10th and immediately given up the eventual winning run?

But, it's not his fault, ultimately tonight--our "loaded" line-up again looked terrible against a mediocre pitcher. It'll be good to get Frank back for 2002--but we seriously could use someone who hits for an average. Perhaps in the 2B position instead of Mr. Inconsistency.

Jerry_Manuel
07-31-2001, 10:26 PM
It'll be good to get Frank back for 2002

:hurt
Thanks for the kind words.

Procol Harum
07-31-2001, 10:28 PM
Don't mention it, Hurt.

Daver
07-31-2001, 10:31 PM
Do I need to bring up the 2 pitch pitcher thing again?

Trade Foulke at the end of the season for a good middle infeilder.

Jerry_Manuel
07-31-2001, 10:32 PM
Don't mention it, Hurt.

:ray
I notice you didn't have any kind words for me, what gives?

Jerry_Manuel
07-31-2001, 10:33 PM

No you don't!

Do you trust Williams to make that deal Daver?

Daver
07-31-2001, 10:35 PM
Yes I do.

KVinc
07-31-2001, 10:37 PM
daver darnit he has more than two pitches didnt you read his orginal scouting report when he was with san francisco or even epsn's scouting report of him after the 99 season he has five pitches darnit, four above average ones.

Procol Harum
07-31-2001, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I notice you didn't have any kind words for me, what gives?

I have had enough of your constant swinging for the fences, stupid baserunning, and rollercoaster fielding. I say this to you, little Mr. Inconsistency
:bart

Daver
07-31-2001, 10:39 PM
They must be awfully damn good,he never throws them.

Tragg
07-31-2001, 10:41 PM
If he has 5 pitches, let's let him start for the rest of the season; he certainly has the control to start. Starters are worth far more than relievers.

Howry can close - Glover too, although I think he needs more movement on his ball.

KVinc
07-31-2001, 10:42 PM
i remeber at a interview at sox fest he said he doesnt need to use them all cause hes in the closers roll.

Remeber when he pitching in 99 and 98 he used an overhand curve and slider. they werent great pitches but above average.

Procol Harum
07-31-2001, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by daver

Daver, I tell ya these closer dudes don't grow on trees. Unfortunately JR and his crew seem to think they do. Ya gotta look at his overall stats. He'd leave an enormous hole in our late-inning game plan. And I sure don't see anybody on this staff who could take his place.

By the by, NRA salutations.

Jerry_Manuel
07-31-2001, 10:45 PM
I have had enough of your constant swinging for the fences, stupid baserunning, and rollercoaster fielding. I say this to you, little Mr. Inconsistency

Oh I see how it is now.

Procol Harum
07-31-2001, 10:46 PM

Howry can close - [/B][/QUOTE]

Howry?? Were to God it were true. It is not without reason that Bobby Lee's tag for this site is "walk". He just doesn't have the control, or, the mental toughness. If he can keep showing some skeelsz like he did tonight I might be content to keep him on for next season.

Jerry_Manuel
07-31-2001, 10:47 PM
Yes I do.

Well Daver you are a braver man then me. I have no confidence in Williams to get enough in return for Foulke.

Daver
07-31-2001, 10:47 PM
Thanx on the salutations,and Barcelo would make an adequate closer,for that matter Biddle has the stuff to be a closer,though I would rather see him as a starter.Any pitcher that can throw hard with decent control can be a closer,look at Troy Percival.

Procol Harum
07-31-2001, 10:52 PM
Thanx on the salutations,and Barcelo would make an adequate closer,for that matter Biddle has the stuff to be a closer,though I would rather see him as a starter.Any pitcher that can throw hard with decent control can be a closer,look at Troy Percival.

You may have a point with Barcelo, I'd forgotten about him. Can't imagine that "Rocked" will ever have sustained success in the Bigs. Besides--those sideburns are the worst.

Jerry_Manuel
07-31-2001, 10:53 PM
Thanx on the salutations,and Barcelo would make an adequate closer

No problem, but Barcelo has had some tough luck and hasn't been able to stay healthy.

OfficerKarkovice
07-31-2001, 10:56 PM
Yeah I think that Barcelo might be able to develop into a decent closer if he could stay healthy. What we really need is a big, ugly, and most importantly MEAN closer. Someone who comes in and they play Metallica and he can just scare the hell out of you just when he comes in. Now that would be cool. I was at the Angels game last Friday and I'm telling you what, just by seeing Percival running out of the pen would be enough for me not to want to get in there and hit.

Daver
07-31-2001, 10:57 PM
Get rid of Nardi the pitcher killer and this staff will gain new life,pitchers are not trained on mechanics alone,look how well Seattle learned this lesson.

Can you say Tommy John?

I thought you could. :)

Tragg
07-31-2001, 10:59 PM
Howry did a good job as closer 2 or 3 years ago.

The position of closer is one of the most overrated in baseball. Matt Karchner was a better closer than middle reliever, e.g. Even a bad pitcher will retire more than 2/3 of the batters he faces.

Jerry_Manuel
07-31-2001, 11:00 PM
Can you say Tommy John?

Yeah he wouldn't be bad, if he doesn't want the job:

:bionic
Hello again.

That's the kind of coach you need, a guy who has been through the wars and is one tough sob. Hey you want to be pitching coach Daver? I know it would be a pay cut for a big shooter such as you.

Jerry_Manuel
07-31-2001, 11:02 PM
Howry did a good job as closer 2 or 3 years ago

Howry is to off again on again for me.

Procol Harum
07-31-2001, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Howry did a good job as closer 2 or 3 years ago.

The position of closer is one of the most overrated in baseball. Matt Karchner was a better closer than middle reliever, e.g. Even a bad pitcher will retire more than 2/3 of the batters he faces.

Howry was Bobby Thigpen revisited. He's had his run as a closer. And, unfortunately, it's that 1/3 of batters that makes all the difference and that's what worries me.

Jerry_Manuel
07-31-2001, 11:03 PM
Yeah I think that Barcelo might be able to develop into a decent closer if he could stay healthy. What we really need is a big, ugly, and most importantly MEAN closer. Someone who comes in and they play Metallica and he can just scare the hell out of you just when he comes in. Now that would be cool. I was at the Angels game last Friday and I'm telling you what, just by seeing Percival running out of the pen would be enough for me not to want to get in there and hit.

Wright has that look.

OfficerKarkovice
07-31-2001, 11:04 PM
Fantastic...I cant wait to see him tomorrow.

Daver
07-31-2001, 11:05 PM
Jerry as you know I have been pushing for Tommy or Cal to get the job,and no,thanx for the offer,but my 4 years of HS catching does not make me qualified for the job.Besides I got a small sponsorship today to fish on a competitive basis,so I don't have the time.

Procol Harum
07-31-2001, 11:06 PM
Get rid of Nardi the pitcher killer and this staff will gain new life,pitchers are not trained on mechanics alone,look how well Seattle learned this lesson.

Can you say Tommy John?

Ain't that all da troof!!

Jerry_Manuel
07-31-2001, 11:08 PM
Fantastic...I cant wait to see him tomorrow.

He is a pretty big guy who doesn't mess around. He just throws it hard.

Procol Harum
07-31-2001, 11:09 PM
:costas
Say, I have baseball acumen to spare, I'll be the new Sox pitching coach by e-mail!

Jerry_Manuel
07-31-2001, 11:09 PM
Jerry as you know I have been pushing for Tommy or Cal to get the job,and no,thanx for the offer,but my 4 years of HS catching does not make me qualified for the job.Besides I got a small sponsorship today to fish on a competitive basis,so I don't have the time.

Well then Cal or Tommy it is then.

:bionic
Vote for Big Cal in 2002!

Iguana775
08-01-2001, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum

Besides--those sideburns are the worst.

hey, i think those sideburns are pretty cool!!!!!! :)

Iguana775
08-01-2001, 08:22 AM
Can you say Tommy John?

I can!!!!!! TOMMY JOHN!!!!! i am all for bring him in. anyone but The Pitcher Killer would be a good move.