PDA

View Full Version : WCBS says Roger's first start will be on 35th St

Fenway
05-25-2007, 08:25 PM
Ms. Waldman reports that Torre has decided Roger will not pitch in Boston and his first start will be at USCF

CLR01
05-25-2007, 08:36 PM
Calender marked

What a great honor (or honour if you're into that sort of thing :smile:) this is, it's like the baseball gods reached out and touched us today. Finally, baseball on the south side will mean something.

Fenway
05-25-2007, 08:40 PM
Calender marked

What a great honor (or honour if you're into that sort of thing :smile:) this is, it's like the baseball gods reached out and touched us today. Finally, baseball on the south side will mean something.

Hope there will be lots of fireworks that night

sox1970
05-25-2007, 08:41 PM
Did she say which game, or is that up in the air?

cbrownson13
05-25-2007, 08:52 PM
ESPN reported that it will be likely that he will pitch in Monday's game. Which I happen to have tickets for. So I guess that's an added bonus to the game...maybe.

minastirith67
05-25-2007, 09:42 PM
I hope we beat him up like we did in the World Series.

Getting to him and Pettitte were great moments.

All hail Roger Clemens. :worship:

jortafan
05-25-2007, 10:17 PM
I hope we beat him up like we did in the World Series.

Getting to him and Pettitte were great moments.

Maybe I'm nitpicking here, but I don't recall the Sox ever "getting" to Pettitte in the World Series. It was the Houston bullpen that blew that particular ballgame. Of Houston's three so-called aces in their rotation that year, Pettitte was the one who actually threw well and should have gotten a victory.

Now back to the subject at hand, does anyone have a clue how this will affect television broadcasts. I'm assuming ESPN will want to carry the game nationally. The thought of Joe Morgan setting foot on the South Side makes me queasy. I don't like the thought of that boob being anywhere within a 100-mile radius of myself.

CLR01
05-25-2007, 10:27 PM
Now back to the subject at hand, does anyone have a clue how this will affect television broadcasts. I'm assuming ESPN will want to carry the game nationally. The thought of Joe Morgan setting foot on the South Side makes me queasy. I don't like the thought of that boob being anywhere within a 100-mile radius of myself.

The Monday game has already been picked up by ESPN (I don't know if they just did that or if it was already scheduled). The game will be shown locally on WCIU and out of market on ESPN. If he pitches Tuesday or Wednesday and they pick it up the same should happen with CSN carrying the local feed and ESPN out of market.

HotelWhiteSox
05-25-2007, 10:44 PM
ESPN picked it up a few weeks ago, maybe they figured this would be the timeframe. I wonder if Monday is the actual date or they're just projecting that to promote their game, like the Ebay/Stubhub people during the last Yankee series, 'see Clemins first start!'

thomas35forever
05-25-2007, 11:27 PM
Roger Clemens pitched for the Red Sox in the first game I ever went to. I saw him warm up in the bullpen before the game and my dad pointed him out to me. This game is gonna be a media frenzy. Prepare for ESPN's eight-hour pregame show on the South Side!

palehozenychicty
05-25-2007, 11:54 PM
The Sox bats better be ready, cause it will be a bombfest. :D:

PeteWard
05-25-2007, 11:56 PM
I would love to see JD greet him with a round-tripper...just like Game 1.

I agree that this will be a national distraction form real Sox baseball, but maybe it will fire our guys up too.

Anyway, I think it may be too early to call. Doesn't he have a couple more minor league outings to be evaluated before real announcement is made?

DumpJerry
05-26-2007, 12:48 AM
ESPN picked it up a few weeks ago, maybe they figured this would be the timeframe. I wonder if Monday is the actual date or they're just projecting that to promote their game, like the Ebay/Stubhub people during the last Yankee series, 'see Clemins first start!'
IIRC, ESPN picked it up before Clemens signed with the Spanks.

HotelWhiteSox
05-26-2007, 05:02 AM
Hosts are ripping on him for not wanting to start in Boston, I don't think they're trying to diss us, but they see waiting for the White Sox as the 'easy way out' (we'll show them :club:), but they made good points, in that you're supposed to be the saviour, getting paid all this money for this very reason, and then you're scared to go into Boston.

harwar
05-26-2007, 08:10 AM
I will be very interested to see who the umpire crew is and just how they will call the game.

Fenway
05-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Hosts are ripping on him for not wanting to start in Boston, I don't think they're trying to diss us, but they see waiting for the White Sox as the 'easy way out' (we'll show them :club:), but they made good points, in that you're supposed to be the saviour, getting paid all this money for this very reason, and then you're scared to go into Boston.

Torre knows it would be a circus at Fenway and he may feel Roger isn't ready for what hockey calls a 4 point game. NYY only has 9 left with Boston with 6 at Fenway. NYY needs to win 6 of them.

dickallen15
05-26-2007, 09:10 AM
The White Sox have pretty much had their way with the Rocket the last few times they have faced him. I still can't believe the Yankees are paying him $4.5 million a month. He's a 5-6 inning pitcher at this point.

balke
05-26-2007, 10:46 AM
I hope they realize this team isn't really slumping anymore. 10- for its last 15 with lots of runs being scored.

Could be a not-so welcoming for Clemens

Fenway
05-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Roger said last night he wants to pitch against Boston.

skottyj242
05-29-2007, 01:01 PM
Roger said last night he wants to pitch against Boston.

What Roger wants. Roger gets. It's a four game series so he' should pitch here no matter what unless they start him on Sunday.

Foulke You
05-29-2007, 01:29 PM
I like our chances against Roger. We've hit him in the recent past and I'd love nothing more than to chase him in the 2nd or 3rd inning after putting a crooked number on the board. The ESPN guys would probably treat BBTN that evening like a wake. It would make for great TV.:D:

chisoxfan79
05-29-2007, 01:31 PM
I will be at the game but it won't be a big deal to me I saw him pitch at the cell back in 02 that was the game where Giambi hit a 3 run homer off of Foulke in the 9th putting an end to the Sox season and Foulkes days as White Sox closer one of the worst games I have ever attended

Foulke You
05-29-2007, 01:36 PM
I will be at the game but it won't be a big deal to me I saw him pitch at the cell back in 02 that was the game where Giambi hit a 3 run homer off of Foulke in the 9th putting an end to the Sox season and Foulkes days as White Sox closer one of the worst games I have ever attended
I remember that game. (shudder) Those were some dark times.

cbrownson13
05-29-2007, 07:27 PM
Per rotoworld.com Clemens will start on Monday.

Frontman
05-29-2007, 07:30 PM
Per rotoworld.com Clemens will start on Monday.

Good. Light ol' Rocket up, the Sox will.

http://cache.boston.com/images/bostondirtdogs//2003/images/yoda.jpg

rocky biddle
05-29-2007, 08:10 PM
Go get him fellas. Knock the cheesy highlights off of his pompous, annoying head.

Nellie_Fox
05-29-2007, 09:28 PM
The entire baseball world is on hold until we find out when and where the greatest pitcher who ever lived decides to grace us with his season premiere.

Then that ballpark will be forever closed and made into a memorial to his magnificence. All of baseball can dab the tears from their eyes and continue on with their mundane existence.

itsnotrequired
05-29-2007, 10:14 PM
The entire baseball world is on hold until we find out when and where the greatest pitcher who ever lived decides to grace us with his season premiere.

Then that ballpark will be forever closed and made into a memorial to his magnificence. All of baseball can dab the tears from their eyes and continue on with their mundane existence.

It better not. I have tickets to the game the next day.

Nellie_Fox
05-30-2007, 02:00 AM
It better not. I have tickets to the game the next day.You'll be there for the dedication.

SoxFan78
05-30-2007, 09:13 AM
I heard ESPN is pleading with Bud Selig to make this a Yankees home game at Comiskey Park for Clemens' first game. Talk is that the Yankees are shipping in their God Bless America singer to come and sing in the 7th inning.

Also ESPN will only be showing Clemens' half innings of pitching. When the Yankees are up coverage will switch to Baseball Tonight and Karl Ravich, John Kruk and Peter Gammons will be broadcasting live from the Fundamentals Deck breaking down each one of Clemens' pitches the previous inning.

Fenway
05-30-2007, 09:28 AM
I heard ESPN is pleading with Bud Selig to make this a Yankees home game at Comiskey Park for Clemens' first game. Talk is that the Yankees are shipping in their God Bless America singer to come and sing in the 7th inning.

Also ESPN will only be showing Clemens' half innings of pitching. When the Yankees are up coverage will switch to Baseball Tonight and Karl Ravich, John Kruk and Peter Gammons will be broadcasting live from the Fundamentals Deck breaking down each one of Clemens' pitches the previous inning.

Don't give Bristol any ideas :tongue:

I still think Roger will be the surprise starter Sunday night at Fenway.

Iwritecode
05-30-2007, 10:46 AM
The Monday game has already been picked up by ESPN (I don't know if they just did that or if it was already scheduled). The game will be shown locally on WCIU and out of market on ESPN. If he pitches Tuesday or Wednesday and they pick it up the same should happen with CSN carrying the local feed and ESPN out of market.

Of course I'm considered 'in market' even though I can't pick up WCIU. So I'll be getting ESPN news all night instead of the game. :angry:

Fenway
05-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Of course I'm considered 'in market' even though I can't pick up WCIU. So I'll be getting ESPN news all night instead of the game. :angry:

Nope

No blackouts in home market on Monday Night

Chicken Dinner
05-30-2007, 11:31 AM
Wasn't it the last time Roger pitched at the Cell he pulled a hammy and was done for the rest of the WS? :o:

SSSoxFan
05-30-2007, 11:46 AM
The game will also have a 6:05 start instead on 7:11

Fenway
05-30-2007, 12:56 PM
boston.com just posted this old commercial of Roger and it is shocking to see how skinny he was in 1989 ( kind of like Barry Bonds )

TfCP8qy8Ne8

VenturaFan23
05-30-2007, 01:00 PM
The game will also have a 6:05 start instead on 7:11

Great, so I'm gonna have to try and get off early from work to go to the game just so the Eastern Sports Propoganda Network can start it at THEIR time! :angry:

Iwritecode
05-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Nope

No blackouts in home market on Monday Night

:wooty:

Fenway
05-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Roger has a message for White Sox fans

Paulwny
05-30-2007, 02:33 PM
I still think Roger will be the surprise starter Sunday night at Fenway.

I don't think he'll pitch in Fenway. I believe NY has conceded the AL East to Boston. The Yankmee brass may feel he has a better chance to defeat the REAL SOX who are a central div contender and a wild card contender.

IndianWhiteSox
05-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Roger has a message for White Sox fans

Then we'll just give him a nice reminder of the last time it happened:

http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/img/clemens1023.jpg

:dye:
"Roger you suck!"

WhiteSox5187
05-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Hopefully by that point we would be coming off our sweep of Toronto after scoring an impressive 15 runs off Haliday and out scoring Toronto 45-2 moving us to within a game and a half of Cleveland...that would be nice.

People forget, that in his last year in the AL he looked VERY hittable.

Fenway
05-31-2007, 11:07 AM
Sportsflash gal on WFAN just said happily that Roger will pitch Monday at Wrigley Field against the White Sox :tongue:

Nellie_Fox
05-31-2007, 04:56 PM
Sportsflash gal on WFAN just said happily that Roger will pitch Monday at Wrigley Field against the White Sox :tongue:Maybe the commissioner's office ordered the game be moved there so it would be in a shrine worthy of the importance of the occasion.